Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 4/23/2009 7:59:00 PM

I got this product as a sample from the Philosophy counter at Nordstrom's. I have pretty oily skin, so I was fairly skeptical of needing a moisturizer/primer, but I wear mineral makeup, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Omg. I love this stuff! I applied it and it evened out a lot of my redness (I have rosacea ) before I even put makeup on. My Bare Minerals went on sooo smoothly on top of The Present and I didn't have to use as much as I usually do to get full coverage.

I will be buying a full size.

I received a sample of this product from mecca and was really excited to try it as I have been a fan of philosophy bath products. Unfortunately it was a complete disappointment. I left it on for two minutes after applying moisturiser (even though i know you shoulnd't have to) and followed it up with foundation. It completely dried out my skin. I have normal skin but this completely dried out my skin around my nose and on my cheekbones. After putting foundation and powder on it looked so flaky and gross that i had to remove it and start over. Didn't notice any of the smoothness it was supposed to give either. Perhaps it would be good for someone with oily skin as it probably has potent oil control properties but for anyone with normal to dry skin give this a miss.

on 4/8/2009 1:05:00 PM

I bought this because on the package, it said it could be used alone as a moisturizer, or over moisturizer as a primer.

I first tried it on its own (no moisturizer, no makeup) while I was at Sephora, and my skin felt really nice, so I purchased it.

Then for a couple of days I tried it without a moisturizer, but with (powder) makeup on top of it - yuck. I had to put my moisturizer on anyway to make my face look like it wasn't flaking off.

But over my moisturizer (and yes, it feels thick), my skin looked just AWESOME.

So, did it work? Sure. But would I buy it again? I don't know. I've got a sample of Smashbox Photo Finish Light that I'm trying out and (obviously) my skin doesn't feel so heavy.

on 4/8/2009 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I do like this a lot, though it can be confusing as to its purpose...I'd say if anything it's a primer/moisturizer...thicker than other primers I use so I wouldn't use a lot of it. I actually like the smell, though I can see why some may not...and it really does smooth out my skin before putting makeup on. I like the thicker consistency, my skin feels more moisturized..I also like how it has stuff in it to calm my skin, or so they say. Once again, these things aren't meant to conceal, so you still need all that. I think it's a matter of preference with this one, but I do like it! I also love it in the winter- you don't need to moisturize first!

on 4/4/2009 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

This is probably the only primer that works for me. It really hold my makeup in place. A little bit goes a long way and the tube lasts for a really long time. Plus, the primer has a lysozyme in it to keep skin clear and smooth.

on 3/23/2009 7:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I also had a sample size of this. First thing I do not like is the smell of lavendel. I can tolerate lavender in foot cream but not in something I put on my face skin. Also I really think it was hard to blend and it kind of peeling off when I tried to spread my foundation on. This has happened to me before with some other products also, like with Estee Lauder Idealist. I did allow it to dry even more than 2 minutes. I also felt slight uncofort maybe irritation of the product right after I put it on. I feel my face looked nicer without this product so I would not recommend this product at all.

on 2/23/2009 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I came across a sample of this today, and thought I would try it. Clear make-up? Well, why not? It BURNS my skin! My face feels like I have a mild sunburn. No one has seen me yet today wearing this, so the jury is still out on how it looks (I can never tell myself), but I hate it already. It is going to have to turn me into Angelina before I spend money on this, though.

on 2/21/2009 7:57:00 PM

I bought this while I was traveling last summer and used it for just a week or two. It holds my foundation powder well and makes my skin feel soft, but also brings out every flake on the sides of my cheeks. I also notice that my super-sensitive combination skin turns red and even a bit itchy when I first put it on.

I would recommend this to non-sensitive normal skin types looking for a primer to use under moderate-to-heavy coverage powder foundation. It is non-oily and leaves a soft, matte feeling. But I do NOT recommend to very sensitive skin types, people looking for makeup-less coverage, or people priming for a liquid foundation.

on 1/28/2009 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I need to start this by saying that I don't like the idea of a PRE foundation anything...just too time consuming for me.
But, did I think this product was good? Yes. I did. Not life changing results, but ok.
It DOES got on thick if you're not careful. You only need a small amount or it will cake up and leave white spots on your face.

on 1/18/2009 11:31:00 AM

This is not clear makeup at all, it's a primer. It provides no coverage whatsoever. It's ok if you use it sparingly and apply the Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas or another powder-type foundation over it. If you apply too much, it will dry white and chalky, and liquid foundations don't do well over the top of this product (they seem to gum up as the Present Clear is not totally absorbed by your skin... it sits on top of it). It has a nice lavender fragrance but it's expensive, and I don't like it enough to repurchase more.

Popular Primer/ Correctors