October 23, 2014 | 1682 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2009 7:57:00 PM More reviews by marijean

I bought this while I was traveling last summer and used it for just a week or two. It holds my foundation powder well and makes my skin feel soft, but also brings out every flake on the sides of my cheeks. I also notice that my super-sensitive combination skin turns red and even a bit itchy when I first put it on.

I would recommend this to non-sensitive normal skin types looking for a primer to use under moderate-to-heavy coverage powder foundation. It is non-oily and leaves a soft, matte feeling. But I do NOT recommend to very sensitive skin types, people looking for makeup-less coverage, or people priming for a liquid foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2009 11:54:00 AM More reviews by iheartMUA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I need to start this by saying that I don't like the idea of a PRE foundation anything...just too time consuming for me.
But, did I think this product was good? Yes. I did. Not life changing results, but ok.
It DOES got on thick if you're not careful. You only need a small amount or it will cake up and leave white spots on your face.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2009 11:31:00 AM More reviews by claireknowles

This is not clear makeup at all, it's a primer. It provides no coverage whatsoever. It's ok if you use it sparingly and apply the Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas or another powder-type foundation over it. If you apply too much, it will dry white and chalky, and liquid foundations don't do well over the top of this product (they seem to gum up as the Present Clear is not totally absorbed by your skin... it sits on top of it). It has a nice lavender fragrance but it's expensive, and I don't like it enough to repurchase more.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2009 2:27:00 PM More reviews by shell1215

I've noticed with Philosophy products that they tend to sell many of the same products but rename them. For instance, the ingredients listed are exactly the same for The Present as the On a Clear Day protection cream! Both work the same, just different names! Anyway, on to my review. I used this as a primer and worked ok, it's pretty thick and heavy, so needless to say it clogged my pores. Same with on a clear day cream, I stopped using both and that helped my skin some. I was hoping for better from Philosophy, they are so well known. I was surprised to see reviews on their products are not so great. I wish I would've found MUA sooner before wasting all the money I have on worthless products!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by loved

I like this. I tend to wear it under foundation, as a primer rather than as a 'clear makeup' but when my skin is really behaving, I may go with this over HIAJ and just go out like that. It's got a thick lotion texture and goes on smoothly. It doesn't glob up on my foundation brush which I appreciate. A lot of primers that I use build up on my brush giving me an uneven appearance. This has a gentle lavender smell, a delicate smell. It does smooth out my skin, minimizes pores, but doesn't fill in wrinkles - I don't think it's thick enough. I don't have a problem with breaking out with this, or any other Philosophy product so it all depends on skin chemistry. I don't find any long-term effects - good or bad. Love that it's in a tube.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2008 10:56:00 PM More reviews by flirtylicioushoney

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an okay product, nothing special i've used better & i've used worse. My main grip is that this breaks me out, at first i thought it was just me but im getting acne on places on my face that i never get them, for example my chin and the side of my cheeks. Alot of people don't like the smell, but i LOVE the smell i find it soothing, when it comes to my oily skin this doesn't help keep ollies at bay at all, but it does seem to minimize some pores not all but some. I find it to be more of an enviormental protection product than anything else. Over all if this didn't break me out i would re-purchase mainly because i like the smell & it does make my face awful soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2008 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Cinnabuns

I absolutely love this!! At first, I was annoyed because it caused my face to look flaky in some spots, but then I decided to apply a light moisturizer under it. I let the moisturizer set for about 2 minutes and then I apply The Present. This works wonderfully. My face feels so smooth, and it keeps a matte finish all day when I use this. I don't wear a foundation so this is the best thing ever invented for those of us that want a smooth, matte appearance without having to pile on makeup. I befriended the Philosophy consultant at Nordstrom, and she gave me 10 deluxe samples of this, but I will definitely purchase the full size bottle without hesitation. Some people consider this expensive, but there are many primers that cost more and you have to wear those with foundation because thats when they perform best. But with The Present I ask you, "Why pay more for ordinary, when you can pay less for extraordinary?" Philosophy is my company of choice for now. Run out and purchase this!! LOL

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2008 2:01:00 PM More reviews by violet04

The main problem I have with my skin is that it gets shiny and I need to blot at least a couple of times during the day. My dream primer would keep the shine at bay and keep my makeup looking fresh at the end of the day.

I got this as a sample from Sephora and I used it for several days. I used it in place of my regular moisturizer and then put my foundation on. By itself, I really didn't notice any difference in the way my skin looked. It does have a lemony scent like other reviews described.

I noticed that right after I applied my foundation, it looked a bit smoother, but the primer didn't prevent my makeup from fading during the day.

During the day, I noticed that I still had to blot the same amount as usual and it caused me to break out.

A little does go a long way. I still had plenty left in the sample packet, but I tossed it since it made me break out.

I didn't buy this to begin with, but I would not purchase a full size bottle of this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 7:03:00 PM More reviews by ohiopirate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm on the fence about this product. It does help decrease oil production and it doesn't break me out. I can tell a difference in my T-zone when I don't use it, it does minimize my pores as much as any product can, and one tube has lasted me over 6 months. But, I still think there's something better out there. I still need to wear foundation with it, I will probably not repurchase, since $20 is a lot to spend on a product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by aerdvm

I use this product alone without any makeup. When I want a primer, I use Laura Geller's Spackle instead. The Present Clear Makeup helps tremendously to decrease the appearance of the pores on my cheeks (near my nose) and makes my face have a smoother, less wrinkled appearance. I find it helps keep my face looking fresh and matte for hours and I touch it up in the mid-afternoon in my oily T-zone area. To apply, I gently pat it on with clean hands instead of spreading it on like a cream. I find this helps get it into the lines/wrinkles/pores better. A little goes a long way- good value. To me it smells like lavender, not lemon.