October 20, 2014 | 1925 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 11:40:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

I like to use this mask on occasion when i feel my skin needs a little pep. So i take a tub of yogurt (i buy the full fat organic yogurt from whole foods) interesting note** i read low-fat yogurt has more alpha hydroxy acid power which means more exfoliation which is what we want right? ill have to look into that. but anyway, i take the tub of yogurt and mix it around (since its full fat i let some of the watery junky gunk drain out and mix the rest together) then i take about 2-3 dollops of the stuff and put it into a bowl. a small bowl is fine, like the ones they give you for barbeque sauce at restaurants. then i take about 2 huge tablespoon dollops of organic raw honey and mix them together. after that i take a about a cup full of rolled oats (quaker oatmeal rolled oats if youre wondering, no need for fancy stuff as long as its flavor and additive free ) and i put it into the blender till it turns into this powder. i mix the powder into the mask and then put it on my face for about 25-30 minutes, depending on how long you can tolerate it. i take it off with a warm damp towel and continue with my night serum and oils/creams. ok ingredients, yougurt is supposed to be full of healthy bacteria and enzymes and lactic acid which is a mild, gentle form of an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) which will safely exfoliate the most sensitive skin, unless youre allergic to any of the ingredients im sorry... :( but anyway, its supposed to add layers of hydration to the skin too. onto the honey, honey is supposed to be a natural humectant and an anti-bacterial source. so it can draw moisture to your skin while fighting some nasty bacteria you might not want on the skin, it also noticeably softens and brightens the face in accordance. maybe it has some whitening properties? not sure. You might notice in raw and organic honeys (Manuka Honey that is) that theyre labeled with an UMF label? like UMF 8 etc... it can go all the way up to like 20 or something... This is the measure of ANTI BACTERIA fighting property it has(it stands for Unique Manuka Factor), the higher the number, the better it is at bashing those baddies... and healing the skin lol It has to do with the flower it comes from in New Zealand, that it contains special enzymes to kill bacteria more than the hydrogen peroxide put in by bees. Yes there is Hydrogen Peroxide in honey !! So check your organic honeys for an UMF level. NOTE*** these honeys, although lovely, can get quite expensive... The most i've seen was an UMF Manuka Honey in a little 6oz jar retailing for nearly 50 dollars , so your wallet might not enjoy it.. if you CAN afford to spend on the more pricey honeys, by all means go for it ! it'll add to the potency of the mask. Lastly, oatmeal is supposed to be an anti-redness and a skin exfoliant, taking off the dead skin to reveal healthy newer skin. so in that sense oatmeal is great for skin brightening/lightening (in youre interested in that) and i grind the oatmeal small so it can penetrate into the skin and do its work rather than just sitting on the skin in huge rolled oat form. I want to to try adding niacinamide to my mask for further skin brightening. i also heard goat's milk yogurt was better for exfoliating. all in all this mask is (as you can tell) very customizable and very affordable, plus its natural since you know what youre putting on your skin.
Plain Yogurt and Honey makes a great snack, to:) you can eat it while your mask sets. Happy Masking!

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2011 12:08:00 AM More reviews by justina2186

I have oily/dehydrated combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin. Last year I was put on a course of accutane, followed by tretinoin for the marks, but despite clearing up my face, my sensitive skin did not like tretinoin, and living in a tropical country means that I'm exposed to harmful UV rays and high humidity 365 days a year.

That is how I got started researching natural remedies for skin.

The first time I tried this was using Greek yogurt and boy was I pleased with the results!

The existing redness on my face had reduced and so had the appearance of pores around my cheeks. My face looked soft, glowy and hydrated. So I was super excited to try it out for a week to see how things go.

Unforunately I ran out of Greek yogurt the next day, so I substituted with Nestle plain yogurt that my mum had bought. I really think that the fat content makes a huge difference in moisturizing and plumping up the skin, because the regular yogurt (which was rather runny unlike creamy Greek yogurt) made my skin feel tight and waxy after rinsing it off.

Nevertheless, I continued using the yogurt mask for about 5 days.

Pros:
- Skin is brighter and more even toned
- Undereye circles are about 70% lighter (I kid you not)

Cons:
- Existing acne marks are smaller, BUT it has caused ALOT of small pimples (pustules) to emerge.
- No difference in pore size (Greek yogurt made a difference, but I only used it once, so this applies to regular yogurt)
- Blackheads appeared more pronounced (wth! I am very sad about this because I seem to be the exception among all the rave reviews that this mask has received :( )

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a purging reaction because all the new zits on my face are existing clogged pores/old acne that weren't extracted.

I have stopped using the yogurt mask for two days to see if my skin calms down. Not much luck on that front :(

I may try the yogurt mask again with Greek yogurt, but right now I am trying to calm my face down with oatmeal.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 7:57:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Truth: after washing this off, met hubz to watch tv. First thing he said (and he doesnt normally make such remarks): do u hav foundation? (he knows what it is cuz his mom is always telling me to buy an expensive one from lancome). Me: no. Him: ur skin looks beautiful!
Side note: i blend lemon juice, pinch of turmeric and some flour to help mask adhere better.

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 3:16:00 AM More reviews by sauwen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used Choban greek yogurt for my mask. The first time I put it on, the cooling sensation was such a good feeling. I also do think using greek yogurt is a lot easier to apply on as compared to other yogurts. The mask dries in about 20-30 minutes, depending on how thick your application is. After washing the yogurt off with warm water, I am so pleasantly amazed to find my skin so super smooth and some of my redness and blotchiness is gone as well. This facial mask is definitely a keeper.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 10:27:00 PM More reviews by galaxyzenith

I have been looking for some natural mask for months, since I discovered most of the big brand's products are full of chemicasl which actual harmful for skin, like paraben and silicone.

Thank god that I found this forum!!! I have been trying plain fat free greek yogurt for almost a week now, apply every other night. It soften and brighten my skin, and last night I found it tighten my pores as well. But you have to try a couple times to see the result, so far it works well on me. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2011 9:20:00 AM More reviews by azraelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A smple, cheap and effective mask.
It cools, calms, brightens and hydrates the skin. I usually use the plain full fat yogurt (3,5% fat or so) and spread it with a flat synthetic foundation brush over my face, leave it on until it dries (15-25min) and wash it off with a washcloth and warm water afterwards.
It's very effective when it comes to diminishing redness and as my skin got really flaky and dry since I've started using a BHA treatment, this mask is really a huge help when it comes to regaining my skins hydraditon.
No matter if dry, normal, combo or oily, you can't go wrong with this - it's full of benefits!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2011 7:32:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had some irritation from a cleanser I was using which left my skin red and itchy. I spread fat free plain yogurt on my face and left it for 20 min. Wow! what a difference! This cooled my face and calmed the redness.I've been using this couple times now and see that some of the blemishes on my skin from old pimples have started to lighten and my skin definitley looks brighter. My skin looks more even toned, refined and feels incredibly soft. This treatment is great for sensitive skin. I've tried putting in a teaspoon of cocoa powder (chocolate has anti-oxidants) to make a choc-yogurt mask and was amazed by the results.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 1:53:00 AM More reviews by rharrison

I love the plain yogurt mask!!! I use it several times a week. I just put a thick layer on and wait until it's completely dry. It never irritates my skin, and really clears it! I feel that it's most effective when I do it before I go to bed, and the next morning my skin is still nice, even better than right after I washed it off. But i think you need to do it a few times before you start seeing a difference. My esthetician recommended this mask and she told me that doing one every 2 -3 days was fine and not too much. And it's really cheap too, so that's definitely a plus! I never tried Greek yogurt though, but i might try one day!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2011 11:05:00 AM More reviews by sayakhansa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best natural face mask. I've tried honey, olive oil, but this one is hands down the best! My skin gets oily when the weather's hot and this lightens my skin, gets rid of the oil and this mask makes my face stays oil-free the whole day. I use any kinds of yogurt, as long as it's plain. Not Greek, Balkans or full fat. I've tried mixing it with honey but my face turned red for awhile, it didn't leave my skin as smooth as when I only use yogurt. Slightly drippy and messy but it's worth the pain.

Update : officially my holy grail face mask. I got lazy and stopped using this for awhile and the result? Painful cystic acnes and super oily face. I used to apply this mask every day for a mere five minutes and I decided to use it again when I had huge and painful acne on my chin. Absolute miracle, it was gone by the time I washed my face. All kinds of plain yogurt would do you fine but I realised that Greek yogurt is thicker so it doesn't drip, but overall, HG face mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2011 3:48:00 AM More reviews by whitem05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow!!!! I used natural, full fat yoghurt and applied a relatively thick layer to my face, neck and décolleté. I left it till it dried then washes off with warm water. The lactic acid in the mask really brightens up your face /body and it's so nice and soft. I'm going to add some oatmeal, let it soften in the yoghurt before using it next time to get some additional soothing and softening action. LOve it!