August 23, 2014 | 1299 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok oily skinned ladies this is the BEST product I have ever used and I have tried it all. If you are oily the secret here is to combine the color of your choice with a bit of water and apply with a FOUNDATION BRUSH (mine is from CVS),,,,perfection every time. An amazing, natural look with great coverage. Send for the samples first to match skin tone. Their blushes are fabulous too as is their customer service. A winner!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by digby2005

I have "tried" mineral mu before but wiht no luck. shiney, made pores look big, color didn't stay or changed throughout the day. But i was happy enough using liquid foundation. When I read you could triy $1 samples though of Alima, and read the revies, it was too tempting not to try.

SOOO happy I did. I emailed the Alima mu artist the brand/color liquid foundation that I used and I got a response on several shades of Alima to try. The samples are generously sized, so I've gotten to test for over a week to see about skin reactions, coverage, etc. All 5 stars! I found the right color and have "almost" mastered applying mineral makeup.

I also tried their blushes and really like those as well. PHENOMENAL customer service including a hand written thank you on the order.

I'm 40, so am not into "trendy" looks...but was looking for something wiht natual coverage that doesn't enlarge pores, cause a breakout or emphasize fine lines.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2010 3:52:00 PM More reviews by appletea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

*sigh* I had to edit my review because even though I love the color range, it just quit working for my skin. Sounds silly, but it is true. After a time it would melt off my face, particularly around my nose and it stuck to dry patches like a mofo, even if I moisturized well. It sucks because I have an incredibly difficult time finding a foundation color that works well for me, but I'd rather not look like a hot mess. I still love their blushes and eye shadows though!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I.Am.In.Love!!! What a nice foundation! After the horrible quality of Everyday Minerals and pricey, shiny Bare Escentuals, I was leery to try a new mmu. I read the reviews of Alima and found that I could get samples (love saving money). What a nice foundations! Am I repeating myself? The satin matte finish is perfect. Matte without the lifelessness of EM and satin without the shininess of BE. Healthy...that's the word I'm looking for! I'm a big believer in mmu for my rosacea. I started using finishing powders when I turned 30 (I'm now 43) because I never liked the way liquids performed. Best thing I ever did! My breakouts and blackheads decreased dramatically. And Alima improves the look of my skin. Now, if you are looking for a medium/full coverage, you won't find it with this product alone. Try the Balancing Primer underneath for a fuller coverage. Skin irritations? Not any here but then again, EM and BE didn't bother me either. Now if your skin is oily and you are looking for a truly matte finish, this might not be the best bet for you. There is a satiny fnish but I decided that satin is better than matte for my aging skin. In case you can't tell, I'm off to buy me some new foundations!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by xtina1120

This is a great product and especially if you want the natural look. It does not go on cakey and it also covers up my severe acne scars. My boyfriend loves it, he says it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup. It's $20 but it lasts me for 2 and a half months so it's great if you're on a budget. I do not break out wearing this and haven't since using it. It's a great product, don't believe me, try out one of the testers they send.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2010 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Rice27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really wanted to join the others in liking this product but it was pretty terrible for my oily skin. It actually made it worse. A greasy mess more like it. I LOVE the alima concealer, but the foundation didn't work for me at all. The coverage is great and the look right after application is amazing, thus 2 lippes. But after that, gosh no. Oil, melting, etc etc. I even used the Alima primer and that still did not help. It may also have something to do with the finishing powder, I found I was more oily with the combination of the primer, foundation and finishing powder then I was with just the primer and foundation. I'll stick to my Laura Mercier MMU.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2010 1:14:00 PM More reviews by je_taime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the best mineral makeup I have tried. I received my order today and tried it immediately. My DH said it looks very natural and makes my skin look better. I'm fairly oily and no other mmu has stayed put after a long day, but this. I love how natural it looks, how it doesn't disappear after a couple hours, and how it controls oil. It is matte without being too matte. It's matte but with a velvety creamy finish. Love this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by departureofskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I heard about this here on MUA (thanks everyone!) and I have to agree... this stuff is amazing! I used their color selection guide and was able to narrow down to 2 possibilities and ordered samples. I got it right the first try-- Beige 3 is a perfect match. I have been using my sample for the past 3 weeks and I still have half of it left (you don't need much). I prefer to mix this with moisturizer to make my own tinted moisturizer but it also looks good using it the normal way. It looks like my skin, only 100 times better. Best of all, no breakouts! Customer service is great as well. It came 2 days after I ordered it and they included 3 extra samples. I highly suggest you try this line. I will be ordering from them again in the near future.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is going to be a very long, detailed review...here we go :)

MY SKIN: I have oily combination skin, with many acne scars and sunspots. I don't have a problem with pores or wrinkles, so I can't speak to that. I also sweat very easily, so my T-Zone is the first to shine by early afternoon. I am a former Bare Escentuals wearer, but I didn't like how it didn't give me much coverage and never lasted for more than 3 hours.

HOW I ORDERED: I used the "Ask the Artist" service provided on the website. There, you fill out a form and list the foundations of different lines that have matched you before. I strongly recommend first time Alima users to do this. Within 24 hours I was emailed with four different colors that I should try. You can narrow this down further by reading their "Choosing a color" guide also on their website. With that, I ordered Beige 4-6 as samples. Cost me $6.50 with shipping. Received my order well packaged within 5 days. They had also included free samples - two blushes and an eyeshadow specifically selected to match the samples I had ordered. Not only that, there was a handwritten "Thank you, Elaine!" written on the back of my receipt (a very nice touch :)). I was delighted!

APPLICATION: I cleansed my face with my Purpose Gentle Cleanser and followed with Eucerin SPF 30 Everyday Moisturizer (SPF moisturizer is a MUST, especially because the foundation does not have a specific SPF). I used an old BE lid and tapped out some of the foundation unto it. I then used my Sephora Professional Platinum Foundation Brush #47 (originally used for my MUFE HD). There are instructions on the Alima website for application, which I followed. I then tried out the blush and eyshadow, also using the website's application instructions. I have a few areas of redness and some dark scars, so I dipped my old BE concealer brush into the foundation and patted it on. I did not use foundation primer, only the Eucerin moisturizer.

RESULT: One word. Perfect. Coverage was medium, but I could've built it up if I wanted to. The foundation definitely doubles as a concealer. My skin looked gorgeous and the color matched beautifully. I couldn't stop looking at my face! I could hardly feel it on my skin. Although it is matte, it didn't make me look chalky or dead. And the blush - BEAUTIFUL! I looked so bronzy and sunkissed. My skin still looked like my skin...just better. It didn't look like I was wearing foundation, yet the spots and scars that made me uncomfortable seemed buffed away.

WEAR: The foundation wore beautifully. I went to an outdoor mall for a few hours in 80 degree weather, and as I said before, I sweat easily. The foundation itself controlled the oil nicely. No reaction or itching throughout the day. When I came home (after a few more errands, totaling 6 hours), my foundation looked exactly the way it did when I left. Even expensive brands haven't been able to last that long. Keep in mind this is the foundation only - no primer or finishing powder. Also, the foundation didn't oxidize and make me orange.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This could very well be the end of the road as far as my search for mineral foundation goes :). I am immensly pleased. Alima is probably one of the most honest, customer friendly cosmetics lines in the business. I'm amazed that more people don't know about them. Their prices are very reasonable ($20 for a full size foundation, $1.50 for very generous samples that will last you 5-10 applications). They actually hold true to their philosophy - their makeup is about as pure as it gets (only FOUR ingredients in their foundation - amazing!!). Plus, they are very eco-friendly with decomposable packaging and a jar return program. If that wasn't great enough, they use profits from some of their collections to fund various charitable organizations. And they are cruelty free - yay!

I would recommend this to anyone. In fact, I'm taking the makeup right to my parent's house tomorrown and letting my mom have a go at it. I hope she likes it as much as I do :)

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2010 11:11:00 AM More reviews by jse23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been wearing this foundation in Cool 3 for about a month, so I think I'm able to write an honest review. This MMU is great for oily skin- it dies not melt or rub off, which is my biggest problem with foundations. The color selection is great, and Cool 2 is perfect for me in the winter months. I like that this feels light on, and my skin can breath while wearing this. This is the best mineral makeup I have ever used and will continue to purchase this! My only problem is that the cap of my foundation does not screw on all the way; the tracks don't seem to line up properly.