November 24, 2014 | 1753 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by becky129

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Edit 11/10/2010: Still loving this and on my 2nd order. I am custom blend 50/50 Beige1/Beige2 in winter. Love that you can blend shades.

First, a little about me. I have acne-prone, combination skin (oily T-zone). Fair but not pale neutral tone. I have been trying for some time to find my HG MMU because I believe it is better for my skin the liquid.

I have tried: Bare Minerals (Fairly Light -shiny and itchy), PUR Mineral (Light - itchy), Everyday Minerals (no good color match (it oxidized) and had a shiny face after a few hours), and now Alima Pure... and I've found my HG!

This makeup does not look powdery on my skin, just silky smooth with good coverage. I was telling a friend how much I like it, and she couldn't believe it was a powder because it gave a soft glow with good coverage (but not shiny).

I use a concealer brush to spot conceal my acne spots first, then apply all over using an EcoTools Kabuki. For under-eye concealer, I dab a cheap eye cream on my finger and then dip my finger into the powder. It spreads easily on my under eye area leaving it concealed but moisturized. And because I'm using the same shade, it blends perfectly. No raccoon eyes!

The color scheme is amazing, and yet quite simple. No funky names or confusing website, just 6 categories of undertone, each with a ranking of 0-9, with 0 a near white level and 9 for the darkest of dark skin.

Cool - very pink
Neutral - neutral but definitely on the cool side
Beige - this is what I would consider a TRUE neutral. Cool tones are too cool for me, and warm tones too warm, and I am a perfect match for B2, possibly B1 in winter.
Warm - Neutral but leaning yellow/warm
Golden and Olive - I have not tried so can't comment.

I found my perfect match by using the 'find your shade' guide to narrow it down, and then ordering $1.50 samples of a few different ones. Each sample lasts me close to a week - very generous. They also throw in additional freebie samples of blush and eyeshadow that go well with the shades you are ordering. I found my HG blush - Carnation through one of the freebie samples.

I have been using samples for 3 weeks now, and have not had any itch/reaction/breakout. In fact, my face seems to be clearing up. My skin feels like it can 'breathe' when I wear this makeup. The only ingredients are Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, and possibly Iron Oxides.

To top off all the positives, their customer service is the best I've ever encountered. Shipping is fast, and I get a handwritten "Thank you, Becky" with each order. Alima Pure is a green company, and they will recycle your used containers. You mail in 5 full size containers in paper packaging (so they can recycle the containers AND the packaging) and they send you a discount code for a free eye shadow. How awesome is that!

Obviously from my rave, I will be buying this again. :) Thank you to the MUA'ers who came before me to recommend this. I would have never found this company without them.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2010 11:22:00 PM More reviews by rxqueen011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I REALLY love this foundation, except for the fact that I want to scratch my face off after applying it because it's itching like crazy. Sucks for me that I'm mica-sensitive. Otherwise it would be my HG. It controls oilies very well and looks GREAT! Nice coverage, very smooth looking with aloe as a primer/moisturizer. It is too matte for me, but I just spray with some thermal water and buff with a kabuki. Problem solved! Nice range of colors, cheap samples, fast shipping. Overall, wonderful company and product. Just wish it worked for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok oily skinned ladies this is the BEST product I have ever used and I have tried it all. If you are oily the secret here is to combine the color of your choice with a bit of water and apply with a FOUNDATION BRUSH (mine is from CVS),,,,perfection every time. An amazing, natural look with great coverage. Send for the samples first to match skin tone. Their blushes are fabulous too as is their customer service. A winner!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by digby2005

I have "tried" mineral mu before but wiht no luck. shiney, made pores look big, color didn't stay or changed throughout the day. But i was happy enough using liquid foundation. When I read you could triy $1 samples though of Alima, and read the revies, it was too tempting not to try.

SOOO happy I did. I emailed the Alima mu artist the brand/color liquid foundation that I used and I got a response on several shades of Alima to try. The samples are generously sized, so I've gotten to test for over a week to see about skin reactions, coverage, etc. All 5 stars! I found the right color and have "almost" mastered applying mineral makeup.

I also tried their blushes and really like those as well. PHENOMENAL customer service including a hand written thank you on the order.

I'm 40, so am not into "trendy" looks...but was looking for something wiht natual coverage that doesn't enlarge pores, cause a breakout or emphasize fine lines.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2010 3:52:00 PM More reviews by appletea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

*sigh* I had to edit my review because even though I love the color range, it just quit working for my skin. Sounds silly, but it is true. After a time it would melt off my face, particularly around my nose and it stuck to dry patches like a mofo, even if I moisturized well. It sucks because I have an incredibly difficult time finding a foundation color that works well for me, but I'd rather not look like a hot mess. I still love their blushes and eye shadows though!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I.Am.In.Love!!! What a nice foundation! After the horrible quality of Everyday Minerals and pricey, shiny Bare Escentuals, I was leery to try a new mmu. I read the reviews of Alima and found that I could get samples (love saving money). What a nice foundations! Am I repeating myself? The satin matte finish is perfect. Matte without the lifelessness of EM and satin without the shininess of BE. Healthy...that's the word I'm looking for! I'm a big believer in mmu for my rosacea. I started using finishing powders when I turned 30 (I'm now 43) because I never liked the way liquids performed. Best thing I ever did! My breakouts and blackheads decreased dramatically. And Alima improves the look of my skin. Now, if you are looking for a medium/full coverage, you won't find it with this product alone. Try the Balancing Primer underneath for a fuller coverage. Skin irritations? Not any here but then again, EM and BE didn't bother me either. Now if your skin is oily and you are looking for a truly matte finish, this might not be the best bet for you. There is a satiny fnish but I decided that satin is better than matte for my aging skin. In case you can't tell, I'm off to buy me some new foundations!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by xtina1120

This is a great product and especially if you want the natural look. It does not go on cakey and it also covers up my severe acne scars. My boyfriend loves it, he says it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup. It's $20 but it lasts me for 2 and a half months so it's great if you're on a budget. I do not break out wearing this and haven't since using it. It's a great product, don't believe me, try out one of the testers they send.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2010 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Rice27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really wanted to join the others in liking this product but it was pretty terrible for my oily skin. It actually made it worse. A greasy mess more like it. I LOVE the alima concealer, but the foundation didn't work for me at all. The coverage is great and the look right after application is amazing, thus 2 lippes. But after that, gosh no. Oil, melting, etc etc. I even used the Alima primer and that still did not help. It may also have something to do with the finishing powder, I found I was more oily with the combination of the primer, foundation and finishing powder then I was with just the primer and foundation. I'll stick to my Laura Mercier MMU.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2010 1:14:00 PM More reviews by je_taime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the best mineral makeup I have tried. I received my order today and tried it immediately. My DH said it looks very natural and makes my skin look better. I'm fairly oily and no other mmu has stayed put after a long day, but this. I love how natural it looks, how it doesn't disappear after a couple hours, and how it controls oil. It is matte without being too matte. It's matte but with a velvety creamy finish. Love this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by departureofskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I heard about this here on MUA (thanks everyone!) and I have to agree... this stuff is amazing! I used their color selection guide and was able to narrow down to 2 possibilities and ordered samples. I got it right the first try-- Beige 3 is a perfect match. I have been using my sample for the past 3 weeks and I still have half of it left (you don't need much). I prefer to mix this with moisturizer to make my own tinted moisturizer but it also looks good using it the normal way. It looks like my skin, only 100 times better. Best of all, no breakouts! Customer service is great as well. It came 2 days after I ordered it and they included 3 extra samples. I highly suggest you try this line. I will be ordering from them again in the near future.