Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 7/31/2013 2:30:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I was recently introduced to coconut oil when I started looking into the Primal Blueprint diet. Adding a bit of this to protein shakes gives them a faint yummy coconut taste, and is a healthful way to get good fats into your diet.

I then starting rubbing it into my skin and using it as a facial moisturizer. Heaven!! It has been scientifically proven to penetrate the cuticle of hair and to protect it from heat, UV rays and mechanical stresses.

My whole family uses it now after showering, and the results have been spectacular. I have particularly noticed a SIGNIFICANT softening of the keratosis pilaris on my daughter's arms after smoothing coconut oil on after baths. Nothing else I have tried has had this effect. I think because it penetrates the skin, it is able to really soften. I also put it on her hair before baths and also before she gets in the pool. She tends to get dry brittle sun and chlorine damaged hair in the summer, and this has significantly softened it. My whole family uses it as a sunscreen - in affords approximately 4 to 8 SPF and also protects against sun damage with it's anti inflammatory properties. I also put this in my hair and then braid it if I am going to be out in the sun, or swimming. I have not had an issue with using it on my face, but I notice that some people do, so proceed with caution.

And oh yes - massaged into my flaky itchy scalp before shampooing is a wonderful way to treat my cradle cap type dandruff. It may be it's antifungal properties that are helping here, as this type of dandruff is usually very responsive to antifungal shampoos. However, those shampoos are hard to come by, and don't work very well on my hair, so I prefer the coconut oil.

All this, and I HATE coconut. Those shredded coconut ice creams and candy's make my teeth crawl. But I love the results of this oil so much, that I am now liking the smell. :)

on 7/30/2013 10:18:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I love this stuff. Sure it is not cheap, but a little goes a long way so you get your money's worth. I use this on my hair for a mask. You don't need a deep conditioner. I use it as a lip balm or lip scrub. I use it as a lotion which btw will make your skin ridiculous soft. I use it for shakes and recipes. I use it for my feet. My favorite product along with honey. Seriously there is so much you could do with coconut oil.

on 7/29/2013 5:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

UPDATE -- After using EVCO for years, I have come to understand more about when it works and when it doesn't. I've found that when I use most natural shampoo/conditioner pairs, the oil sinks into my hair, making it healthier and reducing frizz. When used in conjunction with other products, however, especially conditioners that seal the hair, the EVCO doesn't work at all, leaving my hair looking somehow oily and dry at the same time. Maybe the other products that reviewers are using explain some of the mixed results.

I can't believe that I haven't reviewed this yet. I have been using it in my hair for years. I have probably been putting the review off because it's been hard for me to find a shampoo/conditioner pair that I'm happy with and not allergic to, so I've been feeling for the longest time that perfect hair is right around the corner. Perfection has yet to materialize, but no matter what shampoo/conditioner I use, adding a bit of coconut oil every morning to my freshly washed or freshly rinsed hair (I shampoo every three days) seriously improves the way my hair looks. I put slightly more oil in my hair on days that I wash than on days that I rinse, but I never put on more than one to three dips of my fingertip up to the first joint into the liquid oil. I have found that different brands of EVCO seem to work quite differently -- I don't know why. I use Garden of Eden (the one pictured above), which melts into my hair and, although my hair isn't frizz-free (the reason I'm giving it four lippies and it has just missed HG status for me), it allows it to be healthy, and I am able to wear my curls down instead of pulled back into a ponytail. I have even, on occasion, gotten compliments on my hair, which never happened before I started using EVCO. When I used Spectrum brand, however, the oil just sat on the surface of my hair, leaving it un-moisturized, yet still greasy.

Overall, I am very happy to have found an EVCO that works for my hair. It allows my thick, course, yet easily weighed down hair to be healthy and curly.

on 7/25/2013 6:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My hair feels amazingly soft after using a few drops of this stuff. Like..it feels better than if I used any leave in conditioner or serum. I'm so glad I don't have to spend money anymore on expensive products. It feels like I never even put dye on my head.

I also put this on my face at night. I'm still on the fence, cause I have combination skin that's sometimes oily sometimes super super dry. I've had some breakouts, but also have been using a few other new things on my face as well so it's too soon to tell...

Either way, this is awesome for your hair.

on 7/25/2013 4:46:00 AM

For many months I used coconut oil on every part of my body. Through the winter especially. Every single night. The result? Constantly peeling, dry lips. Flaking T-zone. Very dry skin everywhere. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with itchy dry-feeling feet.

A good way to moisturize is to wash, then apply moisturizer with real, natural ingredients like avocado oil, then apply a silicone/petrolatum ingredient over it after a minute to seal in the moisture. Petrolatum/silicones act as a barrier, helping prevent water from escaping, which is why you need to put it on skin/hair that is damp.

on 7/22/2013 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I have naturally really dry hair and it doesn't help that I colour it and used heat constantly for years (I don't do it anymore)

I found on youtube a video, that showed how you can use this on your hair. I went out (to 3 grocery stores) looking after this and suddenly I found a jar. It was pretty expensive, but you really don't need much of this.

You apply some to the ends of the hair, before showering! Then you shampoo and condition as normal, and it should help your hair gets more moistruized and soft.

- i love this stuff. <3

on 7/22/2013 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Coconut oil is one of the best (and most overlooked) beauty products available. And it's SO cheap! A jar of this baby can easily replace body lotion, deep conditioner, cuticle oil, eye makeup remover, stretch-mark cream, massage oil, hair serum, chap stick, after-shave lotion, dandruff treatment, tanning oil, exfoliator (when mixed with sugar), eye cream, hand cream, baby lotion, anti-aging facial moisturizer, shaving cream, and God only knows what else! I feel like no household is complete without a jar of coconut oil in the cupboard.

My personal favorite way to use this is as an intensive hair mask. After shampooing and conditioning as usual, I apply this from roots to tips (focusing on my brittle ends). After that I put my hair into a plastic shower cap and blow dry it through the cap for about ten minutes. Then I leave it to sit for two hours. After rinsing the oil out, my hair is RIDICULOUSLY soft and manageable. I have heard many people say that leaving it in overnight works even better, so I will try that and update with my results. No commercially available deep conditioner will repair your hair like coconut oil. The reason it is so effective is because it is one of the few oils that has been proven to penetrate the hair shaft and truly soften and repair damage. Just be warned, you have to rinse this out VERY good if you don`t want greasy hair after doing a treatment. If you plan to use this as a hydrating anti-frizz serum, use the TINIEST amount and focus on ends (I`d probably avoid roots all together). A little goes a LONG WAY!

I also love using this as a night cream after washing my face. A lot of people think that oils will break you out, but this does not (and I have oily, acne-prone skin). Massage it into your face at night, and you will wake up with smooth, GLOWING skin. I don`t suggest using this under makeup, since it IS an oil after all, and it will look greasy. It needs ample time to sink in. Now, this may just be my imagination, but I feel like my hyperpigmentation and acne scarring has been fading since I've started using coconut oil on my face. This makes sense since I did read somewhere that coconut oil is great for fading age spots and other blemishes.

This is also one of the best body moisturizers going. Apply it to even the driest skin, and it will instantly soften up. If you have dry hands, thickly apply coconut oil to them, then put on a pair of gloves for a few hours. When you remove them, you will have baby soft hands. The same goes for scaly elbows and knees. Heavily apply coconut oil, then cut the end off of an old pair of socks and put them on your elbows/knees. MAGIC. This is also great for helping to prevent stretch marks for pregnant women. Probably works better than any expensive cream on the market.

Finally, this is one of the best eye makeup removers available. I gently rub it onto my eyes, and even the toughest, most waterproof eye makeup vanishes. Plus, it also acts as an eye cream!

I could literally spend all day talking about the benefits (both beauty and health-wise) of coconut oil, but it's better if you just get a jar and try it! A large jar generally costs under $10 and lasts for quite a while. You can't go wrong!

10 out of 5!

BTW- If you have a Costco memebership, check there for coconut oil. They tend to sell it in larger quantities than you can buy at a grocery store, and for cheaper. I once saw it at $16 for 54 ounces!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Since there are three coconut oil review boards, I'll start with this: all the coconut oil I use is cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin organic coconut oil. And I use it for my hair! My fine, easily damaged hair... and let me say, coconut oil works wonders for hair. I coat my hair in it every night, root to tip, and it feels so much softer and looks healthy/shiny when I wash it all out. You won't find a better deep conditioner than this, and it's unquestionably good for your hair. Coconut oil is one of the only oils proven to actually penetrate the hair shaft. When I use it, I coat my hands in oil and make sure to cover my hair with it- starting at the ends, and concentrating most of it there. Once I'm sure every strand is covered, I lay a small towel/sheet over my pillow and keep the oil on overnight (if you have longer hair, you may want to braid it). I don't only use it at night, though- I've also used it to protect my hair during swim practices, at the waterpark, on vacation (lots of UV ray exposure), and even at school... Although many people will attest to coconut oil's benefits for skin and acne, I actually find that it always causes acne at the hairline on my forehead, temples, etc. I don't mind much because acne at the hairline is hardly visible, but it is annoying and can be painful.

on 7/9/2013 6:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Ok I admit that I have been such a fool. I lived in a tropical country in Asia where coconuts are a plenty. We used coconut milk for making curries and drink coconut water when the weather is scorching hot to dispel the heartiness in our bodies. I have always known the Indians love using coconut oil for their hair and they do have thick and lustrous hair. I am not going into giving reviews on the hair but my skin. I have tried using coconut oil for my face but it does not seem to be as effective as emu oil. However, for my whole body I slather a generous amount of coconut oil on my body twice a day and I have noticed after 2 weeks of application my skin seem to be smoother,brighter and even tone. But the best of all, my age spots are lightened as well. What a fool I have been...

Update: I have said earlier that I do not want to review coconut oil for hair but when I go through almost all the reviews I found that most use coconut oil on its own only. But now I would like to say that you can heat up some coconut oil in a saucepan and then stir in some hibiscus flowers and leaves or blue pea flower or curry leaves or mustard seeds or candlenuts or fenugreek seeds. So you have plenty of options and I have tried them all and I am pleased with the results. It leaves my hairs shiny and smooth but just a word of caution it can darken your hairs whereby some of you do want. Another thing please let the oil to cool down first before application and leave it on for at least an hour.

on 7/4/2013 6:28:00 AM

I can't believe myself just find this gold mine (organic virgin coconut oil) now, what have I been missing out in the past 12 years? (I started buying expansive cosmetics since 18 now I'm 30) Honestly, 12 years of purchasing skin care from countless brands (high end to drug store) and spending lots of $$$, there hasn't been even one product that impressed me so much that I would keep repurchasing. I use it to replace my makeup remover, facial deep cleanser, eye cream, face, neck and body moisturiser, face and body scrub (with organic sugar), facial mask, hair mask, anti-frizze & anti split hair oil, hand and foot lotion, cuticle care, lip balm, eyelash serum, and honestly, it does a much better job comparing with each of the commercial product that I used. Just as a moisturiser for example, I wake up with the most glowing baby soft skin ever every morning since I started using it. It helps cleared out all the white heads (tiny little hard bumps) on my forehead (I also started using natural soap to wash my face), also the fine lines around my eyes and mouth, the scars from acne, the dry, flaky patches between my brows, around my nose and cheek bones, and the uneven skin tone from lack of sleep. I don't even have to say more to use it as all other things since it has been mentioned a million times on MUA lol. For 10 bucks I'm glowing head to toe, no kidding! If you haven't try this stuff, go try it now, If you have tried it and find it doesn't work for you, keep trying until it works! Your skin will never prefer those cancer causing chemicals over pure natural nutrients. Make sure you always use COLD PRESSED virgin coconut oil on your skin to get the most nutrients from it, and always apply immediately after washing your face or body for skin to fully absorb it, best to apply when the skin is still a little bit wet and always use a very small amount on your face (i.e. as long as your skin doesn't feel dry, that should be enough, if it feels greasy then it's way too much).

I also add a tea spoon to the milk with my cereal every morning, also my coffee and tea. It adds a heavenly delicious coconut scent, and it's extremely healthy. I also read online that it can help with weight lose by adding it to your daily diet. I'm now healthy inside, glowing head to toe out side that I keep get compliments on my skin, and have lots of money going to be saved up in my bank account from stop buying all kinds of cosmetics. Good bye all the expansive cancer causing chemicals, I will keep repurchasing this stuff for ever and ever and ever...

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products