Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 9/17/2013 4:31:00 AM

Ahhh Coconut oil- I don't love you. I tried you in many ways, we just don't have a good relationship.
As a cleanser- horrible; gave me cysts, pimples and clogged pores.
Eyes massage- from time to time I like to massage my eye area with an oil (and then wipe it off) and when I tried with coconut oil it irritated my skin as in small red dots and patches under my eyes. Also left a ''veil '' on my eyes. It is also very greasy and needed a lot of facial wash to clean it off which is bad for my dry skin around my eyes.
Hair- in many ways: on wet hair, dry hair, just on scalp, scalp+hair, after washing, before washing, under shower cap + towel, for fly aways etc etc but I just never had the nice , shiny, easy to detangle hair that other reviewers have. It is too greasy for my hair , left it greasy and needed a lot of shampoo to wash it off. Didn't like my scalp or hair after washing and drying my hair.For me Castor oil is better. Coconut oil always made my hair tangled while I never issues with Castor oil.
Body- it would never sink it, even in small quantity and massaged well. Would rub on clothes. I didn't like the greasy feeling on my body and the fact that my T-Shirts would be dirty because of the oil put me off.
Oil pulling- I have seen some whitening but then honestly I got tired of the taste. Now I use Sesame oil which is much better than the coconut oil because I can feel a difference in my gums.
I also ate coconut oil for for weeks, a tsp every morning, and after a while it gave me stomach ache until I realised why I have the pain.
Not for me.

on 9/16/2013 10:13:00 PM

I love the scent of coconut, so it only makes sense for me to try coconut oil as a moisturizer. I've tried a ton of coconut scented lotions and creams, but nothing can compare to the real deal!
So I bought my jar of coconut oil from whole foods ($20 for 32oz). I think I can easily use this for an entire year.
It has been a few weeks since I started to use coconut oil.

I think it's amazing and here's why:
- Affordable
- Natural/organic
- Does not leave sticky/greasy residue like olive oil. It comes right off when you wash your hands.
- Solid at room temperature - won't spill all over the place
- Excellent moisturizer
- Great hair conditioner (I usually apply to dry hair and rise off after an hour or two)
- Coconut scent!

I usually scoop out 2-3 spoonful of coconut oil(when solid) and transfer them to the smallest tupperware I can find and I would leave it in the bathroom with a spoon. So i'll run the tupperware with warm water after shower and apply with the spoon.
Keep in mind that it is an oil so it does take a little longer to be absorbed than lotion, but it will make yur skin super soft and moisturized after.

on 9/14/2013 11:22:00 AM

Fabulous discovery! Sensitive, dry, rosacea (red bumps on cheeks, at this stage temporary flushing, some pimples), and dark circles..I started applying CNO in desperation during our last holiday in Thailand since the heat and spice really flared up my rosacea. CNO evens out the skintone, calms, reduces pimples overnight and is overall really yummy and rejuvenating. I also take spoonfuls of it, and have started cooking with it.
It is not moisturising enough on its own, so I put Avene Recovery creme on top.
I also use it as a body moisturizer, and makeup remover, and hair mask. It requires 2-3 shampoos to wash it out the next morning but leaves my frizzy fine blonde hair soft, sleek and strengthened.

Also works great for hubby's oily but sensitive skin.

on 9/12/2013 9:07:00 PM

Great product

on 9/11/2013 12:17:00 PM

I use this as:

-lip balm
-hair serum
-face moisturizer
-coffee creamer
-mouth wash (google oil cleansing method)
-body lotion
-cuticle cream

Its my holy grail

on 9/5/2013 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was absolutely horrid for me!! I put it on my hair, it made my hair coarse and frizzy. I put it on my face, it was greasy and I ended up with some weird white bumps (kinda look like whiteheads, but they're hard) that haven't gone away yet a month later. I rubbed it all over my body and it just made me greasy. I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and rubbing it on my body, that was meh. Still a little greasy. I don't know how or why people are raving about this product. I did buy a good organic, cold pressed oil, Nutiva. The only use I have found for it is as an eyelash conditioner, I apply this nightly to the eyelashes and in the morning my mascara slides on like a dream. Definitely WILL NOT repurchase.

on 8/20/2013 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It works wonders from head to toes.I love it during winter as a body and hair moisturiser,during summer I mix it with sunscreen oil,after depilation it calms the skin and reduces redness,I love applying it on cotton pads and place them on my eyes (it nourishes lashes that are everyday covered in mascara)...

on 8/16/2013 9:56:00 PM

Skin (body) - Love it for skin, though oddly it only works well on my legs. This has replaced anything I've ever used previously on my very sensitive, dry legs. The tub lasts FOREVER (I have Nature's Way brand). If I use too much, it doesn't sink in well, but I've learned how much is perfect and it really is just that......perfect (I use about a quarter sized amount, total, for both legs).

Hair - the jury is still out on this. When I've used it alone (put it on before bed, shampoo out in the morning) it seems to make my hair feel drier. I'm guessing this is due to the protein (my hair is not a fan of protein treatments). However, this past week I mixed a few drops of avocado oil in with some coconut, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then washed as normal and that seems to work well (though I used too much). That was on Monday and today is Friday and my hair shows no signs of needing to be oiled again (and my hair is heavily highlighted, so tends to be dry).

Makeup remover - it will remove eye makeup, but it's not my first choice.

Feet - this is a GREAT moisturizer for feet, especially after I pumice. Love it.

This was horrible as a facial moisturizer! I tried this after watching youtubers suggest it. Big mistake. This does smell nice, which is a bonus. However, it just sits on the surface of your skin, doesn't ever absorb, and isn't actually moisturizing at all! The worst part is it broke me out.....it's actually quite comedogenic. :(

on 8/12/2013 3:03:00 AM

I began using coconut oil because I want to try eliminate as many chemicals from my beauty products if I can help it. So I decided to opt for a natural moisturiser for my feet, hands and body. I have been applying it directly after a shower, wearing cotton gloves and cotton socks, then going to sleep.
My hands and feet feel smooth, but there is still some visible scaling on my hands and fingers. I almost feel like it is not penetrating my skin!! I also read somewhere that coconut oil can be stripping- hence it is an ingredient in many types of soap. I really want this to work, so I will mix it with some extra virgin olive oil, wait out and continue using it for another couple of months or so and see if it makes an improvement to the dry, scaly nature of my hands this winter.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products