Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte Foundation

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Mica. May Contain ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 12/9/2009 7:42:00 AM

I have tried all the different formulas offered by EDM. They all have their pros and Cons.
For reference. I have mostly balanced skin, sometimes oily-er sometimes dryer but in general pretty easy to take care of.

In general, all the formulas are not long-wearing. You will have to re-apply around lunch time. And you should also consider a ’touch-up’ around mid-morning because the foundation starts to fall-off around that time and you can see it separating on the face. Just a quick once over might fix this for a few hours until it starts to happen again... :(
Also, with every formula, it is quite easy to go overboard and get the cakey look, and this line between enough and too much is very small. In this way the makeup is not all that buildable. If you want a bit more coverage and you added another layer, that could be the layer that makes the cake! This will further highlight any lines in your face, as well as settle into the pores, large or small.
MMU foundation looks horrible with cakey so be sure to apply with a light hand.
This leads me to my next point. It didn’t really seem to matter what I did, I could not get the foundation (and concealers) to not settle in my lines and pores. I tried absolutely everything recommended on the (now removed) forum. I used a fixing spray, glycerine water, different routines, different formulas, different finishing powders, it just didn’t get better. I actually had resigned myself to the fact that all MMU would forever make me look older. I started using the foundation much more sparingly, only where absolutely necessary, and I even started non-foundation days, wearing only (non-EDM) blusher or bronzer. This looked 100x better but I just always hoped against hope that somehow the foundation might work for me one day. Sadly, this day never arrived.
I am so thankful that I saw a recommendation for Silk Natural foundation (on the EDM forum funnily enough – this is probably why they took the forum down, they knew their foundations were lack lustre and couldn’t compete in the real world!). Don’t believe all the hype. I am certainly not saying SN will work for you, but I am saying that there are other companies that you should try (they all offer reasonable samples) before you commit to getting full size foundations from EDM (or any one company actually).
This review is true for all the formula’s EDM has to offer. Some will be even more cakey than others, depending perhaps on your skin (and one formula might work better than another for you, but for me, I couldn’t get any of them to work...), but you can be guaranteed that those little lines you never knew you had will appear, and your pores, even if you are lucky enough to have small ones, will now be pronounced.
You’d be much better off not using any foundation than to use EDM ones.
Sorry, I did say I’d give a pro….I think they can be used to make soaps, maybe candles… or some such thing….
My marking:
Overall Rating: 1 – see above
Price: 5 – expensive, because you will end up getting something you cannot use without looking like a cakey mess. This makes it expensive in my mind because it is wasted money. Also, their ingredients are not particularly of high quality (hence the cakiness – there is a major difference in quality in MMU – go on a try other companies and you will be so surprised that EDM uses such low quality for all their makeup, not only foundation) Although you might be surprised to know that in a full size foundation you are only getting less than 1 tablespoon, This is much less than what Bare Escentuals offers in their full size foundations in fact, 2 EDM full size foundations = 1 BE foundation, and this is the same in price. Unless you are ordering enough to avail of the discount, your two FS EDM will cost the same as on BE and you will have the exact same amount of foundation. This is another reason that they are not so cheap as people believe. Don’t be deceived! Do your homework and don't even believe me! Go look for yourself!
Packaging: 3. Mostly neutral. Their foundation have pretty good packaging. But that doesn’t negate all the other problems.

I am glad I emptied all my foundations, dumped them down the toilets. I now have the jars for other MMU!

on 12/9/2009 6:50:00 AM

EDIT: I can no longer patronise EDM. This company is so different from what it used to be. They frequently change ingredients without changing their labels, and then avoid direct questions about the matter. They choose to ignore or snark customers who have concerns about contaminated or underfilled products. Their attitude comes from the belief that their customers are easily replaced. Overall, bad business practices that should not be rewarded with loyalty.

ORIGINAL POST: I really liked the finish of this foundation when first applied, but it doesn't have good lasting power. It makes my face look really oily after a couple of hours, regardless of any primer or finishing powder. I also suspect that it gives me whiteheads if I wear it for the whole day.

The best thing about it is the range of shades, although it looks like several of the olive bases are about to be discontinued.

on 12/8/2009 10:17:00 AM

This formula did not work for me. In agreement with the previous reviewer, it looked fine after application. Within a couple of hours my face was really greasy, it was quite embarrassing when a work colleague pointed it out to me! It's just not for me.

on 11/27/2009 7:46:00 PM

I love the look of this foundation... for the first 10 minutes after application. The finish of this makeup immediately after application makes you look like you have an inner glow without being shiny or "dewy." Not enough coverage to cover acne or skin discolorations by itself (maybe it would work better as a finishing powder?). But after 10 minutes it slips off my skin and settles into the flakies, leaving me looking like I never applied any makeup, and if I look close, my skin looks blotchy and uneven!! I have tried this alone and with the Kaolin Powder Sunlight (KPS can be used as a primer, a finishing powder, or both). I'm really disappointed because I wanted a natural makeup without a lot of icky chemicals (I'm also acne-prone). Did find a great color match for my face, did love the cheaper than cheap price of the sample kit, had no beef with the packaging, but this stuff just didn't work. Edit: forgot to mention that I used the Flat Top Brush (also from Everyday Minerals) to apply.

on 11/6/2009 8:35:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I got this in sandy fair. Perfect match! I hate mineral makeup. Tried BE...crazy breakouts and smudgy and gross. I tried this because it was inexpensive, has great colors (unlike BE) and apparently many girls had luck with no breakouts. I bought it originally to just dust over my erno laszlo shake it for when I need more coverage while my pink spots fade. It's lovely! It covers enough and doesn't get too oily. I just touch up before it's too late! Maybe once every three hours I powder my face lightly. I got a bunch of samples too, and though I like this a lot, the intensive formula covers so much more. I think my next purchase I'll get a full size intensive as well as this for lighter days. It really evens things out, especially if used over a tinted base. I'm glad I tried this!
Also, doesn't change colors. BE turned orange. This stays true all day.

on 10/22/2009 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought EM after learning that my Jane Iredale Amazing Base had bismuth in it (and because I'm trying to cut back on my expenses). I have to say that I really like this product. I have acne-prone, extreme-combination skin and usually JI would melt off of my face by noon. Not so with EM. It stays on my face all day long.

Also, the coverage of the semi-matte formula is excellent. It covers my (hopefully) soon-to-be-gone discoloration and acne scars. It really evens out my skin tone and blends naturally. Right now I'm using the color 'Neutral' and it matches my olive skin very well. (I have a lot of trouble finding foundation to match my coloring...Italian/Mediterranean.) I also have large pores on my cheeks and nose and fine smile lines near my eyes, and this doesn't seem to accent them at all, which is a problem I've found with other mineral makeups (JI aside).

If you're new to mineral makeup, please note that YOU MUST have a good brush. Right now I'm using my Jane Iredale retractable brush (very expensive, but worth it), and it works great with this product. Be sure that the brush has a flat bottom, or you won't get the results you want. Some say a Kabuki brush is best, but I respectfully disagree.

The price, free and cheap samples, fast shipping, excellent customer service, all-day staying-power, and tons of color options make this my new HG foundation, for sure. Plus, it doesn't have that nasty bismuth, which has been linked to cystic acne.

Bye, bye Jane Iredale! It's been nice knowing you!

on 10/13/2009 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Out of all the Everyday Mineral Foundations, the semi-matte formula is my favorite. I have consistently purchased this foundation for the last three years. I always have a jar of this foundation in my makeup box. I am NC 30 and use Winged Butter. Everyday Minerals has a vast selection of foundation colors for you to choose from and offer sample sizes for you to try out the color before committing to a full size jar. This foundation does a great job in evening my skintone and hiding minor scars but I do find that as the day progresses, I need to touch up because the foundation wears off. All in all, a great product and I will continue to repurchase.

on 10/9/2009 8:44:00 PM

Out of all the formulas, I like this one the most, it has a slight glow to it and great coverage!

UPDATE 2/16/11:

My favorite mineral foundation. After trying many liquids, Im back to this. Much prettier than and natural looking than liquid. Plus it is so affordable!

on 10/9/2009 2:08:00 AM

EDM was the first mineral makeup I ever tried (guess I was lucky it wasn't BE that causes irritation to so many women) and I loved it right away. Before, I sometimes would have some small pimples before my period and scars from them but after about a month after I started using EDM my skin cleared up. My mom who is in her late 50s also looks much younger wearing minerals. I like all EDM formulas except Intensive (it's just not for me) but semi-matte was the best for my slightly combination skin. It gives a natural seamless look, covers little imperfections well. The only downfall is that it starts looking a bit oily later in the day during summer when it's hot but I have yet to find a mineral foundation that doesn't, plus it's easy to fix using blotting paper. And secondly, it wears off eventually so in the evening you don't have much to remove. But overall it's a very good quality.

on 9/29/2009 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG foundation, I absolutely love it. My skin stays matte all day without looking cakey or fake, the coverage is great, it matches my skin, and it's so quick and easy to apply (not to mention affordable)! I really recommend this to anyone who (like me) hated the original Bare Minerals because it made them orange and shiny, and wore off so quickly. I will purchase this again and again!