Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte Foundation

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Mica. May Contain ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Now this is a mineral makeup I can work with! It's missing the shine I always got from Bare Minerals. It may be an inferior product to some people but I feel like I can control the application of this much better. I can keep adding layers and not look "cakey". Getting the right color is a bit of a trick. For reference, I'm NC25 in Mac's Studio Fix and I have found that EM Light Neutral and Light Medium. Both work very well for me as they have both yellow and pink undertones. I've even checked the color in natural light and it's pretty darn close to my skin tone. I apply it with a large kabuki brush similar to how you are supposed to apply Bare Minerals. I do apply it over a light moisturizer and primer. I like it! EM has restored my faith in mineral makeup!!

In the past, I had tried mineral foundation from BE, Laura Mercier, Clinique, Prescriptives, & Estee Lauder. Most of them are either too shinny (BE) or too heavy (LM), or it doesn't cover well (Clinique). So far, Everyday Minerals is the best brand I had tried. Yes, it is a huge hassle to figure out the right shade since you can only view the shades online. Honestly, it's a pure guessing game. But thank to their free samples and sample size foundation only costs $2.50. And the shipping fee is totally reasonable, ranging from $2 - $3, depends on the size of the order of course. Thank God I didn't give up on trying difference shades. Finally I figured the "Light" shade in the Golden family is the perfect fit for my NC25-NC30 skin tone. It has just enough yellow for my light Asian skin.

The following is a comparison of a few shades I'd tried:
Light - It's slight yellow, for light skin
Light Almond - Very pale yellow, has no pink at all, too light for me
Light Martian - Also yellow, just slightly darker than Light, I can use it too
Buttered Tan - This is slightly dark for me, probably for NC35 skin, may be I can use this in summer
Winged Butter - This is pure yellow, even a bit too yellow for my Asian skin, and just slightly too dark
Light Neutral - Has a little pink in it for light skin

As far as coverage, I tried the intensive version, but I found that slightly too much coverage for me. I have OK good skin, with 2 aged spots and couple acne scars from using GA cream foundation (talk about a horrible experience)... Anyway, I use EM's flat top brush to apply the semi-matte foundation, which it gives dimension to my face, yet not glowy looking at all. My face products enough oil to make me looking glowy around mid-day, even during winter months. For my t-zone, I use the matte version. Though it still doesn't keep my oily t-zone in check using the matte version, I still need to blot my nose every few hours only when I'm in the office. When I'm outside (right now it's winter), my face feels totally comfortable using the semi-matte version for the whole face without needing to blot. The coverage for this foundation is awesome!!!! I don't even need to use concealer. I use the BE max coverage brush to apply the foundation (I usually use the semi-matte version as concealer too, so it's not too cakey) to my dark circles, age & acne spots. Wa la!!! Max coverage that doesn't smear off! I can't believe it. My skin is looking flawless without the makeup look. I would highly recommend this foundation to everyone.

One thing worth mentioning though, this applies to when using any type of mineral foundation, try not to breathe when applying the foundation. I believe there're particles in the foundation that's not very good for our health.

Edit (after a month): While the coverage is still awesome everywhere on my face except my nose. The oiliness is uncontrollable no matter what I do. I am not giving up this mu yet only because it really does create a flawless look for me and the long lasting capability. I just need to blot more during the day. With other foundation, on a normal 12 hours work day, I blot once in the morning, then use Maybelline Dream Matte during lunch, then blot one more in the afternoon. With this mu however, I have to blot 2-3 times in the morning alone, another 2 times in the afternoon. Also I have to use the Dream Matte more often. I think this mu is best for normal to dry skin, 'cause my cheek where is normal not oily at all, this mu is looking perfect all day for 10+ hours.

I had used EM for a few months and went to try other products. But recently I go back to EM. It's light weight and it makes my skin breath. It does not harm my skin. People mention about the staying power. Well, it does not stay all day on my combination oily skin, and it does turn darker or is oxidized hours after. I don't care. My skin turns darker in the afternoon anyway (I don't know why). The price trumps every cons. It's a great product for $12 (so sad the price goes up). Btw, I am asian and Fairly light neutra l-buff base is a perfect match for me. Semi-matte formula gives me slightly dewy skin without greasy looking, and the soft-focus effect perfects my skin. Looks great in person and on photos. Very natural.
The coverage depends on the type of blush that you use.

I have tried all the different formulas offered by EDM. They all have their pros and Cons.
For reference. I have mostly balanced skin, sometimes oily-er sometimes dryer but in general pretty easy to take care of.

In general, all the formulas are not long-wearing. You will have to re-apply around lunch time. And you should also consider a ’touch-up’ around mid-morning because the foundation starts to fall-off around that time and you can see it separating on the face. Just a quick once over might fix this for a few hours until it starts to happen again... :(
Also, with every formula, it is quite easy to go overboard and get the cakey look, and this line between enough and too much is very small. In this way the makeup is not all that buildable. If you want a bit more coverage and you added another layer, that could be the layer that makes the cake! This will further highlight any lines in your face, as well as settle into the pores, large or small.
MMU foundation looks horrible with cakey so be sure to apply with a light hand.
This leads me to my next point. It didn’t really seem to matter what I did, I could not get the foundation (and concealers) to not settle in my lines and pores. I tried absolutely everything recommended on the (now removed) forum. I used a fixing spray, glycerine water, different routines, different formulas, different finishing powders, it just didn’t get better. I actually had resigned myself to the fact that all MMU would forever make me look older. I started using the foundation much more sparingly, only where absolutely necessary, and I even started non-foundation days, wearing only (non-EDM) blusher or bronzer. This looked 100x better but I just always hoped against hope that somehow the foundation might work for me one day. Sadly, this day never arrived.
I am so thankful that I saw a recommendation for Silk Natural foundation (on the EDM forum funnily enough – this is probably why they took the forum down, they knew their foundations were lack lustre and couldn’t compete in the real world!). Don’t believe all the hype. I am certainly not saying SN will work for you, but I am saying that there are other companies that you should try (they all offer reasonable samples) before you commit to getting full size foundations from EDM (or any one company actually).
This review is true for all the formula’s EDM has to offer. Some will be even more cakey than others, depending perhaps on your skin (and one formula might work better than another for you, but for me, I couldn’t get any of them to work...), but you can be guaranteed that those little lines you never knew you had will appear, and your pores, even if you are lucky enough to have small ones, will now be pronounced.
You’d be much better off not using any foundation than to use EDM ones.
Sorry, I did say I’d give a pro….I think they can be used to make soaps, maybe candles… or some such thing….
My marking:
Overall Rating: 1 – see above
Price: 5 – expensive, because you will end up getting something you cannot use without looking like a cakey mess. This makes it expensive in my mind because it is wasted money. Also, their ingredients are not particularly of high quality (hence the cakiness – there is a major difference in quality in MMU – go on a try other companies and you will be so surprised that EDM uses such low quality for all their makeup, not only foundation) Although you might be surprised to know that in a full size foundation you are only getting less than 1 tablespoon, This is much less than what Bare Escentuals offers in their full size foundations in fact, 2 EDM full size foundations = 1 BE foundation, and this is the same in price. Unless you are ordering enough to avail of the discount, your two FS EDM will cost the same as on BE and you will have the exact same amount of foundation. This is another reason that they are not so cheap as people believe. Don’t be deceived! Do your homework and don't even believe me! Go look for yourself!
Packaging: 3. Mostly neutral. Their foundation have pretty good packaging. But that doesn’t negate all the other problems.

I am glad I emptied all my foundations, dumped them down the toilets. I now have the jars for other MMU!

EDIT: I can no longer patronise EDM. This company is so different from what it used to be. They frequently change ingredients without changing their labels, and then avoid direct questions about the matter. They choose to ignore or snark customers who have concerns about contaminated or underfilled products. Their attitude comes from the belief that their customers are easily replaced. Overall, bad business practices that should not be rewarded with loyalty.

ORIGINAL POST: I really liked the finish of this foundation when first applied, but it doesn't have good lasting power. It makes my face look really oily after a couple of hours, regardless of any primer or finishing powder. I also suspect that it gives me whiteheads if I wear it for the whole day.

The best thing about it is the range of shades, although it looks like several of the olive bases are about to be discontinued.

This formula did not work for me. In agreement with the previous reviewer, it looked fine after application. Within a couple of hours my face was really greasy, it was quite embarrassing when a work colleague pointed it out to me! It's just not for me.

I love the look of this foundation... for the first 10 minutes after application. The finish of this makeup immediately after application makes you look like you have an inner glow without being shiny or "dewy." Not enough coverage to cover acne or skin discolorations by itself (maybe it would work better as a finishing powder?). But after 10 minutes it slips off my skin and settles into the flakies, leaving me looking like I never applied any makeup, and if I look close, my skin looks blotchy and uneven!! I have tried this alone and with the Kaolin Powder Sunlight (KPS can be used as a primer, a finishing powder, or both). I'm really disappointed because I wanted a natural makeup without a lot of icky chemicals (I'm also acne-prone). Did find a great color match for my face, did love the cheaper than cheap price of the sample kit, had no beef with the packaging, but this stuff just didn't work. Edit: forgot to mention that I used the Flat Top Brush (also from Everyday Minerals) to apply.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I got this in sandy fair. Perfect match! I hate mineral makeup. Tried BE...crazy breakouts and smudgy and gross. I tried this because it was inexpensive, has great colors (unlike BE) and apparently many girls had luck with no breakouts. I bought it originally to just dust over my erno laszlo shake it for when I need more coverage while my pink spots fade. It's lovely! It covers enough and doesn't get too oily. I just touch up before it's too late! Maybe once every three hours I powder my face lightly. I got a bunch of samples too, and though I like this a lot, the intensive formula covers so much more. I think my next purchase I'll get a full size intensive as well as this for lighter days. It really evens things out, especially if used over a tinted base. I'm glad I tried this!
Also, doesn't change colors. BE turned orange. This stays true all day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought EM after learning that my Jane Iredale Amazing Base had bismuth in it (and because I'm trying to cut back on my expenses). I have to say that I really like this product. I have acne-prone, extreme-combination skin and usually JI would melt off of my face by noon. Not so with EM. It stays on my face all day long.

Also, the coverage of the semi-matte formula is excellent. It covers my (hopefully) soon-to-be-gone discoloration and acne scars. It really evens out my skin tone and blends naturally. Right now I'm using the color 'Neutral' and it matches my olive skin very well. (I have a lot of trouble finding foundation to match my coloring...Italian/Mediterranean.) I also have large pores on my cheeks and nose and fine smile lines near my eyes, and this doesn't seem to accent them at all, which is a problem I've found with other mineral makeups (JI aside).

If you're new to mineral makeup, please note that YOU MUST have a good brush. Right now I'm using my Jane Iredale retractable brush (very expensive, but worth it), and it works great with this product. Be sure that the brush has a flat bottom, or you won't get the results you want. Some say a Kabuki brush is best, but I respectfully disagree.

The price, free and cheap samples, fast shipping, excellent customer service, all-day staying-power, and tons of color options make this my new HG foundation, for sure. Plus, it doesn't have that nasty bismuth, which has been linked to cystic acne.

Bye, bye Jane Iredale! It's been nice knowing you!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Out of all the Everyday Mineral Foundations, the semi-matte formula is my favorite. I have consistently purchased this foundation for the last three years. I always have a jar of this foundation in my makeup box. I am NC 30 and use Winged Butter. Everyday Minerals has a vast selection of foundation colors for you to choose from and offer sample sizes for you to try out the color before committing to a full size jar. This foundation does a great job in evening my skintone and hiding minor scars but I do find that as the day progresses, I need to touch up because the foundation wears off. All in all, a great product and I will continue to repurchase.