November 24, 2014 | 2064 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Angels on Bare Skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by ChaseSpearing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Over the summer I decided that instead of continuing to poison my system, and my skin, with chemicals and ingredients I could never hope to pronounce that I would completely trash my skincare routine at the time and go all natural.

However, walking into my newly opened LUSH I was definitely tentative. But, LUSH has AMAZING customer service and are completely willing to sit down with you for as long as possible to get a skincare routine specific to your needs. Having combo skin and persistent moderate acne I was suggested the following:
- Angels on Bare Skin
- Tee Tree Water Toner
- Vanishing Cream
- Greased Lighting
- Ocean Salt
(I HAVE REVIEWED ALL OF THESE)

I was immediately in love with this facial cleanser the most.

It looks to me a lot like some kind of whole grain cookie dough with lavender buds in it xD The way this smells is absolutely amazing. After using so many chemically things this was very refreshing. It does have a very earthy scent so if you are put off by that I would say stay away. But I love the herbal scent to this!

This is an exfoliating product, but definitely not as harsh as Ocean Salt. I use this every morning as I find the gentle exfoliation provides a much smoother base for my foundation to blend into. This also leaves my skin feeling very VERY soft and not stripped of moisture or dry at all. It is suggested for all skin types and I cannot help but agree! I have bought several containers of these for friends with every skin type and they all love it!

I have also found that through using this and the handful of other LUSH products my skin has improved DRASTICALLY. Ive suffered from moderate acne since 6th grade (I'm a senior now) and I cannot remember the last time my skin was this smooth and even. I do still have some spots but they are all healing quickly and with minimal scaring.

Here's a tip for keeping the product from being ruined, as it often does if you accidentally get water into the container. If you got a sample of it first, keep the tiny black sample container so when you buy it you can fill that with the cleanser and keep the rest in a cool, dry area and refill as needed. I tend to keep mine in the fridge to keep it fresher for longer, as most of the ingredients are natural.

For those of you ladies that found that this did not take off your makeup, it is not meant to do that. It doesn't say anything about it being a makeup removing product on their website, and if a sales person told you it would they were wrong. If you DO want a makeup remover from them, they carry two products called 9 to 5 and Ultra Bland.

I don't even care that it doesn't come in the cute black containers, it's what is on the inside that counts!

If you struggle from any kind of acne I would say go LUSH, because once you do you will never go back! BUT I would for sure get samples first to make sure you won't react to anything. And if you do buy something and it doesn't work LUSH is really great about returns and exchanges. If you dont have a receipt they will happily exchange for anything in the store and if you kept your receipt you will get a full refund, even if the product is half used!

FIVE LIPPIES ON THIS FOR SURE.

UPDATE: After many months of using this I am still LOVING it. I have probably bought almost an entire rolls worth xD

UPADTE 2: I stopped using this for about a year since I started my first year of college and am now coming back to it again and I forgot just how amazing it was. It's just so lovely. It makes my skin feel so plump and happy! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by TheMoonBunny

I have been using this product for about 2 years. Before I discovered this cleanser, I had suffered from severe cystic acne for 12 years. I had gone to a dermatologist and tried various topical creams, birth control pills (orthotricycline), and oral antibiotics/pills. My final option was Accutane, which I refused to use due to overall health concerns. When I was younger, I had very sensitive oily skin, but in recent years I've had sensitive combination skin.

I only discovered LUSH because a coworker dragged me into the store with her one night.. One of the gals at the store convinced me to try a LUSH regimen and gave me 2 weeks worth of samples: Angels on Bare Skin, Tea Tree Water (toner), and Vanishing Cream (moisturizer). Within a week, my skin had already started cleared up for the first time in my life. I'm so grateful to this product / to Lush that I've even taken the time to drag up old photos for you so I can show just how much my skin cleared up:

In the second two photos, I'm also wearing Bare Minerals original foundation, mineral veil, and and warmth bronzer.

PROS
--- gently exfoliates sensitive, acne-prone skin
--- did not cause break outs (for me, at least)
--- leaves skin feeling soft
--- easy to travel with because it's a solid cleanser!
--- $12 worth lasts for about 3 months (so about $4/month)

CONS
--- can spoil easily if you let water get into the container (avoid buying more than $12 worth and take a chunk off and store in a different container)
--- will not remove makeup
--- can be messy when you first buy it because it's a little stiff
--- comes in a crappy plastic tub

NOTE: If you want to try this, get a sample of it first. Lush is *very* generous with samples. If you ever do buy something from Lush and it doesn't work for your skin, don't be afraid to return it. It doesn't need to be a waste of money! They're very kind and understanding about returns and exchanges. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2012 2:03:00 AM More reviews by suzyorchid

As an "overall cleanser" this is average, but if you use this for a very specific purpose, then it becomes a great cleanser, IMO. In other words, it's not great for all-purpose, 1-step use to take off all your makeup, and thoroughly clean your skin. However, it is AWESOME as a morning cleanser.

I only use this in the morning when my face is already clean. Its great at putting moisture and suppleness back into the face. I don't use it every morning...I tend to use it once a week or more if my skin is starting to feel a little dry and need some hydration. I love it because it exfoliates gently, but has properties that seem to soothe and relieve the skin. I especially like to use it when I feel that I also need a little more radiance.

I don't use it at night at all because I prefer my regular cleanser, which is used to remove the traces of makeup residue. For those who prefer or want to, you could use this after using a make-up specific cleanser. My guess is it would help to moisturize the skin and prep it even more for the nightly moisturizer.

Overall, I think its great for a specific purpose. A little goes a long way. Some people said it can be messy, which it can, but if you are able to do it in the shower, that should help but down the messiness.

I love this cleanser and would definitely repurchase. The only reason I gave it a 4 is because its not a HG cleanser that can do everything.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/14/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by LipbalmQueen

Eh, this product is just okay. I can definitely live without it. In fact, I'm going to return it this week. It exfoliates very well and that's about it. I have combination, acne-prone skin that is prone to some redness. To be honest, this cleanser makes my face red even long after using it. I also got quite a few blackheads after using this. It's also tough to apply, I hate trying to ball it up and make a paste. I'd rather just use my Cetaphil and call it a day.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by mschumps

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin and have occasional breakouts around my t-zone. Ever since hearing about Lush's Angels on Bare Skin from room mates, reviews, etc, I wanted to see if the product was worth the hype.

It's OK. My biggest beef is that it is expensive (about $27 for 250g) and that I find ABS does not clean my skin deeply, as I wear Revlon Colorstay foundation. I'll swipe toner on afterwards and still find significant traces of make-up on me after using ABS.

PROs:
-contains kaolin clay, which helps absorb facial oils. (Doesn't control it much, though)
-almond and lavender bits are gentle as exfoliators
-smells natural, unlike drugstore stuff (if you like an herbal scent)
-smoothes my skin nicely because of the exfoliating factor
-does not dry or strip my skin

CONs:
-doesn't clean makeup off
-messy to apply. It's a crumbly paste that you scoop out and mash between your fingers to create a smoother paste. Plenty of it still gets lost in the sink, though.
-pricey
-my product came in a cheap, clear plastic container (think condiment container from take-out) with a deli-style label on it. Ugly.

Overall, it's not a bad cleanser and it's not a magical cleanser either. I would use it if someone gave it to me as a gift, but I wouldn't buy it again because it is pricey.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2012 2:03:00 PM More reviews by keewee88

Switched to Angels on Bare Skin after Herbalism left me super-dried-out...

Like the 'grit', find that a small container lasts a long time (I use a cranberry-sized amount each time) and as long as I dont keep it in direct water, the container keeps enough water out to keep the cleanser happy.

I do find that I need more exfoliation sometimes, so I keep a tub of Lush Ocean Salt around for the 'deep clean' days...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2012 7:26:00 AM More reviews by Kiabiah

*Packaging: the usual black tub which works for this product as I scoop the amount that I want to use out with a small spoon.
*Price: Quite expensive considering the amount which you need to get good face coverage. If you use it everyday, it will be long gone before the end date which is about 4 to 5 months.
*Instructions for use: take an amount (more than peasized) in your hand and mix it with water to create a paste. This was getting used to as I lost a lot of product in the sink at the beginning, but I'm getting better at it ;-)
*Smell: I think the smell is quite pleasant, a typical "Lush" smell. Fresh and herbal.
*Result: The cleanser left my face feeling soft, glowing and clean not at all red, sore or stingy like some others which I have used in the past. I have been using this cleanser for a while now (only in the evening / I'm on my third tub) and no more break outs, less excema, just healthy looking skin. I will continue to buy this product!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/2/2012 12:44:00 AM More reviews by blueclaire

I only used a sample of this but it was a good size and would have lasted me probably 2 weeks. After 3-4 days I got a ton of small whiteheads though so I discontinued it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2012 3:46:00 AM More reviews by arscharfen21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had a facial at the LUSH store where the sales girl tried several products on me that were made for sensitive skin. I stresses this several times and decided to go ahead. I could feel my face get a bit red after she was done, which is pretty normal for me. She sent me home with several samples, including AOBS. I used it tonight with a few of the other samples and my face is beet red. I can feel the heat radiating off of it, has a weird filmy feeling, and it is uncomfortable. I have had this reaction to cleansers in the past so I will just keep looking for the right one for me because it sure isn't this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2012 5:26:00 AM More reviews by annahch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought Angels on Bare Skin because I wanted to get a nice scrubby cleanser that had a bit of grit in it to combat my combination skin. It smells really beautiful, and it feels nice when you put it on and to use as a scrub. Unfortunately, it didn't really do anything for me. My skin was the same texture and appearance after using it for ages since the amount I purchased lasted a long time (another positive for this product). Even though it smells and feels good, I would rather use something that shows a positive result on my skin. The St Ives apricot scrub/cleanser had a bigger impact on my skin than this. So, I won't be repurchasing this, even though the smell is really lovely!