September 21, 2014 | 1273 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Vex

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

Vex is a very unusual color, even by MAC's standards. It's a sort of sea foam green with purple and blue iridescence. I didn't expect to like it based on the description/swatch online, but it was beautiful in person.

Unfortunately, I have a hard time getting it to show up on my pale, neutral-cool-toned skin (NW20). I have that problem with a lot of light shadows, probably because there's not enough contrast between my skin and the shadow to make them pop, and while that's not a bad thing with neutrals, with something like this it can make me look a little sickly or strange.

Vex doesn't really go on green on my lids. I get more of a wash of subtle iridescence that could be very pretty if it showed up more. It pairs well with pale purples (like Urban Decay's Asphyxia) or greys and would look good on its own if it popped more on me.

PROS: (1) pretty, iridescent color; (2) has the potential to be versatile and fun to wear.

CONS: (1) doesn't show up well on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 1:54:00 PM More reviews by singwritenow

I have been using Mac shadows since they first came out, way before Estee Lauder bought the company, and can't believe I haven't reviewed many of the ones I use, especially Vex. I know there are mixed reviews on this one, but I have to say that this is my HG e/s that I have hit pan on more than any other e/s, about once a year!!! I use it all the time with everything! It is the most enigmatic, mutidimentional color there is and I never tire of it. So many reviewers have described it perfectly, but what I love about it most is that it has so many different colors packed into one shade! It is subtle enough to wear alone with a liner like Contrast or Carbon or can be layered with every single e/s color on the planet. I reach for it when I'm in a hurry or when I have lots of time. If I had to choose one e/s this would be it. I pray that it's never discontinued, EVER!! Run out and get this and see for yourself how amazing it is!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Bsheth86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is one of my favorite mac eyeshadows because it is a versatile color. I usually use it when i do a smoky eye or as subtle wash when i do not feel like wearing a lot of eye make up. I found it easy to apply and blend the eyeshadow better when the brush is a bit wet.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Melodiee

Eugh, this color just makes whatever I have on look muddy. To me it's like the dirty gray that white sneakers get after you've been wearing them for a month. Perverted Pearl looks a lot better.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2008 9:08:00 PM More reviews by LaBellaLisa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Such an interesting shadow. I wore this today with Plumage in the crease and Brule as a highlight, very pretty. Oddly enough this green combination made the pink irridecence in VEX really standout. Vex looks great with Satin Taupe as well, but my favorite combination is Vex all over the lid, Sketch in the crease and a little bit of Carbon in the outer <.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2008 5:34:00 PM More reviews by kt646

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I....um...don't know how I feel about this eyeshadow. I saw it on someone else and it was amazing but I cant seem to make it work that well for myself. On my hand it looks great but on my eyelids it doesnt really show up, especially the duochrome..it just looks like a light mint green. If anyone has any tricks to make this look awesome I'd love to hear them. I might repurchase still chasing that look I saw on someone else though...maybe I juast havent found the right combination eyeshadows to pair it with?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2008 6:08:00 AM More reviews by Tanja1801

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Can't understand the hype... didn't match it with browns though, but on my e/l it's hardly there. Love the fact that is duochrome, it's fun to see the effect :)
Tanja

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by CutiePie12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This color is great with browns! I like using this with matte brown eyeshadows to give them a gentle shimmer. It looks silvery at first, but ends up being a pale shimmer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by ASisley

I love Vex. What a cool colour. I have Hazel eyes and it brings out the green and gold in them. I bought this unsure of the colour but it is fabulous!! I definitely recommend for people with brown or hazel eyes.
Get it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by mothwings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really wasn't sure if this color would work for me at first...However I have worn it several times and I'm a convert. I have hazel eyes and it seems to bring out the green in my eyes, which is a good thing. Have worn it with Trax also with Carbon as a liner. I don't think it's for everyone.....I really like it.