Clinique Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

4.1

castor seed oil, cetyl ricinoleate, glyceryl triacetyl ricinoleate, candelila wax, carnauba wax, polyethylene, tocopheryl acetate [ yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), red 33 lake (ci 17200), red 28 lake (ci 45410), red 6 lake (ci 15850), blue 1 (ci 42090), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499), red 7 lake (ci 15850), mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), red 30 lake (ci 73360), carmine (ci 75470), manganese violet (ci 77742), red 22 lake (ci 45380), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), red 21 lake (ci 45380), yellow 6 lake (ci 15850), red 27 lake (ci 45410), orange 5 (ci 45370), red 36 (ci 12085)]

on 7/5/2012 11:31:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Like all Clinique products I have tried in the past, this was a disappointment and and I will not be purchasing again.

The color is perfect for me, but as soon as I put this lipstick on, my lips shrivel into raisins - it is SO DRYING. I've tried applying it over lip balm, but then it doesn't stay on my lips.

Beautiful color, horrible formula.

on 7/5/2012 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been wanting this color since I heard that this was what they used on Liv Taylor when she played Arwen in LOTR. I Always envied her berry kissed lips, and bought it as soon as I found it on Tax Free. It didn't give me the same beautiful effect it had on Liv, but it did look good. I'm fairly pale with a neutral undertone in my skin, and it made my lips look fuller and kissable without too much drama. It is buildable though, so you can make it look vampy and sexy if you just use a harder hand and apply more of it on your lips.

It was a bit drying and I don't use it enough to want another tube, but it's definitely more than OK in my book, so this is my HG for when I want to leave the house and look glamorous, but not too overdone.

on 6/29/2012 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought this after reading reviews that it was translucent and would produce a MLBB effect, which is the impression the name "Almost Lipstick" gives. But that's not how I found it. On me, it's pretty opaque and seems heavily pigmented. I could get away with using it if I only swipe it lightly once across my lips, in which case it's not too dark (though still pretty dark), and only lasts five minutes. But if I put two coats on -- or even one and a bit -- the result is dark purple lips, which with my colouring looks harsh (though it might look good on others).

Also, it seems to make my lips drier. I'd have thought it would be moisturizing with castor seed oil as the main ingredient, so I was surprised when they started to feel dry with it on.

on 6/7/2012 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

A friend of mine turned me on to Almost Lipstick in Black Honey a few years ago and I love it. It's not heavy feeling, leaves a fresh berry stain on your lips and doesn't look too fussy. It looks quite dark in the tube, but it's very sheer. I keep one in my car, one in my purse and one in my bathroom! I haven't ventured out into any of the new colors they've come out with in the Almost Lipstick line...but I might have to!

on 6/7/2012 11:43:00 AM

Sorry but i'm one of those who don't really like this. I'm 25 this year, NC15 with medium-plummy lips.

When applied, my lips look like a dark brownish red shade and it just makes me look OLD. :( Like a kid putting on her mum's red lipstick... just out of place... not flattering at all, my skin looks sallow.

A pity because I really wanted to love it after reading all the reviews here! However I do love the texture, very balmy and moisturising. The sheen is good too, lips look plump without being too glossy, which is the way i like my lips to be.

Maybe i'll try it in one of the other colours... when I swatched it at the counter i was actually doubtful that the colour would suit me, but i went ahead anyway because of the raving reviews for this colour and how it made EVERYONE's (except me) lips look MLBB.

Overall i still find it a good product but this colour is not for me.

on 5/31/2012 2:08:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So glad they brought this product back! I have super fair skin and with one light coat it brings some life and color to my face. My only qualm: I wish it had some SPF, that way I could ditch my pre-balm and use it all the time!

on 5/31/2012 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have medium-dark skin with naturally purplish lips. This lippie simply emphasises the natural colour of my lips and evens out their colour. Very natural looking and nice texture. Great for people, who like me, are not comfortable with using a "proper" lipstick.

Will definitely buy again.

The only thing I don't like abt it is the packaging which seems a little lightweight to me... like as if it could be damaged easily.

on 5/30/2012 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I am medium complected with red undertones and fairly pigmented lips. Black Honey is so subtle and nice on me. The silver case is classy and fun to pull out of my purse. I can apply it without a mirror! It is the perfect mlbb color on me (and obviously lots of others) but beware, not everyone can wear it. My bff, who is very pale complected with naturally light pink lips, put it on and it turned ORANGE on her. Lucky for her, Clinique lets you return.

on 5/24/2012 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I remember being really impressed by the color of the Black Honey potted lip gloss, but this wasn't quite the religious experience I was hoping for. Nice consistency and no intrusive fragrance if slightly more brown than the brownish-plummy-berry I remembered. It's still a very useful color; I'll probably repurchase.

Edited to add that I put this over a coat of Benetint and presto -- I got the exact effect I remember from the gloss. Result!

I'm late to the game with trying this, but I love it already. Natural look, smooth feel. I do wish it lasted a bit longer but it's super easy to tote and reapply. This is going to be my summer go-to color.

Popular Lipsticks