October 2, 2014 | 1021 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Satin Lipstick - Myth

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2011 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Linlovesxo

Hello concealer lips! Well lets be fair, some days it can look amazing but on most it just looks really bad. I don't know even know why I have this.. haven't used it in months.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by CarrieNations

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been doing the dark, smokey eye + nude lips look for around 8 or 9 years, and MAC Myth has always been my go-to nude lipstick (that is, since MAC discontinued Fleshpot). Myth is pigmented enough to neutralize the natural ruddiness of my lips, and I love the nearly matte "satin" finish. It works really well worn as a nude primer beneath other lipsticks or glosses.

However, there are a couple of tweaks I would need to make to Myth in order to declare it my HG. First off, it is a bit drying, and the result of my wearing Myth daily is that my lips are almost always chapped; I have found that Carmex at night and intermittently throughout the day helps a little, but all in all they are still struggling, and Myth ain't helping. I believe it exacerbates and even accentuates the chapping. What I've taken to doing is layering a more moisturizing, sheerer-finish lipstick over the Myth base; two of my favorites are MAC Hue and MAC Creme d'Nude.

Which leads me to the other problem with Myth: While a fairly light nude, I don't think it is quite neutral-toned and light enough to really function as a proper neutralizing base. My #1 problem with Myth is that it is way too peachy. If it were a little more beige/golden/yellow in tone, it would be perfect, and really look stunning beneath something like Hue. As it is, it is frustratingly close to being HG, but still great enough of a product that I continue to buy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by kellypi07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

BLAH. I have mixed feelings about this lippie! I absolutely adore the color of it, but I absolutely hate how drying it is! When I first used it, I used it by itself - no chapstick, no nothing - and it looked bad. It made my somewhat chapped lips stand out SO bad, man it just looked awful. I didn't want to give up though because I can't find a color I like more (btw, I'm NC20 and this is really nice on me). So with a few trial and errors I finally found a system that makes Myth look like a dream on my lips, but be ready... this isn't something you can do in 1 minute)

-Before anything you'll want to exfoliate your lips, something like Lush Lip Scrub will be fine.
-Then, you'll want to moisturize and prep your lips with a lip balm, doesn't really matter what kind.
-Now, instead of swiping the lipstick over your lips like you'd usually do, you'll want to dab the lipstick onto your lips until you get the desired coverage you want. For some reason dabbing it on instead of swiping it makes it look so much better.
-You'll want to put some lip balm over the lipstick as well - for me, putting lip balm of lipstick helps it stay on longer. I find that the MAC Lip Conditioner creates a subtle shine over the lipstick, and also moisturizes them without taking any of the color away from my lips.
With all of that Myth stays on my lips for a good 5 hours or so.

This isn't the ideal way I like to put on lipstick, but if it's what it takes to get nice nude lips with a great nude lipstick, then I'm all for it. I would recommend this, but only to those who are willing to take a few minutes to prep their lips for it - if you're looking for a quick nude lip, then this definitely isn't for you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 12:30:00 AM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I needed to update my review. Besides skin care, this is probably the product I have repurchased the most.

Myth is NOT for everyone. It is most definitely NOT one of those universal, 'look good on everyone' products. Yes, it can result in concealer lips on most people, which is not a look I enjoy at all. However, I have pigmented lips. Most lipglosses or lipsticks look drastically different on me than they do swatched or in the tube. I use Myth as clean slate for other lipsticks.

I'll apply Myth then apply whatever lipstick I want to use so I can get the true color on my lips.

However, mostly I want a nude lip. I use Myth with a light hand, I always re apply with a mirror in hand since concelear lips are something I'd really like to avoid. Using too much can result in scary results, and it can wash you out. I have tan skin - NARS Barcelona or MAC NC 30-35, and I find that Myth does not wash me out unless I apply too much. It is drying and it does emphasize dry skin on the lips. I exfoliate my lips weekly and apply a hydrating chapstick often, so I have not had any problems. I find that I can wear Myth on its own (light hand when applying of course) but a dab of a gloss will make it prettier and softer. It is matte in finish. Creme d'Nude is much more sheer on me and has a glossy finish.

I love Myth. The only other lipstick I've found that can truly give me nude lips is NARS Madere and a Tom Ford one that may have been discontinued (however, both are more expensive). I would highly recommend Myth to anyone that has pigmented lips, loves a nude lip, and is willing to pay extra care attention to application. If you don't have extra pigmented lips, Myth may appear harsh and jarring on your face - so try other nudes from MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by il0vehell0kitty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite lipsticks, in general and from Mac. If you have darker skin tone this may not work for you, but if you have fair to medium skin this nude is perfect! It is very drying, because it is a satin finish. It is basically a concealer color, which I like! I always have a hard time finding a good nude since my lips are super pigmented. This lipstick hides my natural lip color, which I love. It doesn't make me look washed out, I have am about NC20-25 at Mac. Obviously I don't wear it by itself, but I do have to make sure my lips are moisturized and not chapped before application. It gives me the perfect pale lip! Highly suggest this if you are looking for a lip ereaser type deal.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2011 10:37:00 PM More reviews by KristaSelene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the hype surrouding this shade of lipstick. I love MAC but Myth makes so many girls look washed out. Unless you are trying to achieve a Snooki-inspired look or you're playing a zombie in an upcoming movie, I'd avoid this lipstick. If you want to go for a neutral look to make your eyes pop, opt for a sheer pink instead!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2011 12:17:00 AM More reviews by hersupernature

I've found that Myth is a peachier nude, and with my golden undertones that can be hit or miss depending on the day. Make sure you try out the other nudes (Creme de Nude, Peachstock, Blankety, etc.) in the store before buying this, to find out which one works for you!
That said, Myth is a pretty, very pale nude that will make most people look washed out if not applied carefully. The trick, I've found, is to "pat" it on so as not to accentuate dry lips or lip lines. I recommend a lipliner on more pigmented lips because this color tends to look odd without a base underneath.
My only qualms about this lipstick are that it's quite drying, so those with dry lips should look for a different finish; and that this stuff doesn't last long. Eating and drinking might make this lipstick come off in pretty strange patterns, so this is best for times where you'll be away from putting things near your lips - unless you have pale lips.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2011 3:45:00 PM More reviews by louloubarbie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Myth is gorgeous nude color that smells like a vanilla cupcake but it dries my lips out so bad. It looks chalky and flaky after only a couple of hours. I hate, hate, hate the finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Do8666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the most perfect nude lipstick I have come across! My new HG! Perfect for my skin tone (NW15). Goes on smooth and creamy, great vanilla smell. I get compliments every time I wear it. And it doesn't make my lips feel dry like some other mac l/s do.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2011 2:32:00 PM More reviews by sugarbunniie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Another great story. I worked in cosmetics and noticed my coworker had this concealer like lipstick on. It did not look so nice of her but I really liked it. "Whats that you have on? "oh its Myth from MAC" I wanted to try it on so I went over to the MAC counter and tried it on lovedddd it! was ready to buy but the line was too long and I have no patience on saturdays!
So I left.
I told my best friend about it and she said "oh I have that color, but it looks awful on me! I'll give it to you!" Score! Got another MAC product for free, so I swapped her my 3 Lancome lipglosses cause its not fair to get everything for free :p
I put it on..loved it. Im so pale and yet it looks so sexy on me, I get guys compliment how naturally sexy I am..little do they know its lipstick! When I run out, i'll buy it again, I will say this though, it does not look great on everyone so try it before you buy it!