Chanel Cristalle

3.8

on 5/29/2005 10:30:00 AM

A complex fruity/chypre/floral mix that's light and fresh and a perfect scent for hot weather. I would not wear it because of the citrus notes (I just don't like them), but I think they're well blended here and are never too sharp or overwhelming.

on 5/18/2005 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Cristalle is a very bright, clean-smelling citrussy chypre. I do find the lemon note a little artificial though, and it is certainly strong (edt.) Although there is honeysuckle listed in the ingredients, I can't smell it, and the scent dries down very mossy and green on me. Edited: I recently tried the edp version (Jan 2009) and much preferred it! It is still a lovely fresh, sparkling, lively scent, but the floral notes are more prominent than in the edt, and there is some resemblance to Diorella. I can smell lily of the valley, jasmine and honeysuckle, and no harsh lemon notes. The edp is definitely more peachy and rounded! Beautiful summer scent - very chic!

on 5/17/2005 10:30:00 PM

I first bought this fragrance when I was 16 and heading to France for the first time. Very disappointing. It smells like old roses that someone has stubbed their cigarette out on.
Diappointing.

Back when I read Seventeen magazine, I was obsessed with the Cristalle ads, and sniffed them obsessively. It was by far my favorite scent strip, but I felt light-years away from buying and wearing a Chanel perfume (back then I wore drugstore stuff and The Body Shop's Fuzzy Peach). I finally got the chance to try the fragrance in a Sephora, but it was the EDP, which was very bitter and green on me, not like how I remembered the scentstrip. I forgot about Cristalle for awhile until I read on the boards that the EDT was the original, and was different from the EDP. I then sought out the EDT to try, and it's gorgeous. Yes, THIS is what I loved to smell in my teen mags. Beautiful citrus and floral topnotes (I detect hyacinth and honeysuckle), and an oakmoss/woodsy drydown. It's fresh, green, clean, sparkling, and slightly powdery (in a good way). I don't get overwhelming lemon or Lemon Pledge from this at all. It's very sophisticated, yet lighthearted. Womanly but with girlish charm. It makes me think of Audrey Hepburn in early movies (e.g. Funny Face). This fragrance is so tied to my teenage years that I'm not sure I'd want to wear it now. However, it's a classic, elegant fragrance which is more than worthy of the Chanel name.

on 4/24/2005 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is another lovely Chanel scent. I seem to do very well with them, and am happy to have sampled another that I would love to add to my personal collection. My drydown impression is that of a fresh (but not too tart) and slightly unripened grapefruit and and the greeness of the bottom notes of oakmoss and vetiver. There is a definite clean musky warmth in the bottom of this. The grapefruit impression may come from the mix of topnotes of lemon, tangerine, hyacinth and honeysuckle (from Osmoz.) Very pretty, but I'm not sure if this is full bottle worthy. Also, there is the question of what format I am sampling, as I received this in a swap.

on 4/7/2005 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

One great perfume for and summer it is a must.Refreshing in the fact it is a citrus mix. Cooling but I still smell the jasmine & lilys that I love. It is long lasting on me,good sillage for summer heat ,meaning a medium amount. It also lingers on my clothing which is unusual for me. It has a Different smell In the EDT than the EDP so check which one you are buying. I get many complments on Cristalle .

on 4/7/2005 2:46:00 PM

Cristalle? More like citronella. Yuck!! I'm a big fan of citrus-y scents (particularly bergamot) but to me, this one smells like lemon dishwashing liquid with a couple of indistinctive grassy/floral notes in an attempt to sweeten it, I suppose? Not for me...

on 4/7/2005 4:04:00 AM

A fresh and sparkling chypre that's perfect for spring and summer. I greatly prefer the EDT with its delicious galbanum-laced lemony-greenness. There's something very revitalizing about this fragrance -- I can imagine chilling it in the fridge and spritzing on a cold blast of Cristalle on a hot summer's day.

on 4/7/2005 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My signature scent. I have been wearing it for 10 years. The smell is unusual and whimsical.

on 3/30/2005 2:07:00 PM

READ THIS REVIEW - not the last one -

This is horrible. Why would Chanel make this? (I like literally every other scent by Chanel.) And why would anyone wear it? It smells musty, stale, putrid. I am shocked. Diorella by Dior is a much nicer, similar citrus fragrance.

Sorry - I am editing this review now. I prefer the EDP to the EDT of this scent, and they are both quite different. There is some sort of vegetable/woody note in this scent which is somewhat unsettling. There is a jasmine drydown which isn't totally unpleasant. Maybe it smells better on others. I don't think it works well with my chemistry.

For summery citrusy chypres I prefer Diorella (similar but with more feminine fruity peach notes), Eau Sauvage, O de Lancome, etc.

Popular Fragrances