August 20, 2014 | 2015 users online

Powder - Laura Geller - Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation (All Shades)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2009 4:50:00 PM More reviews by bella4462

I love LG Balance n Brighten Medium, it adjusts well to my skin tone. I feel that this is far better than all of the other d/s and h/e powder foundations. I feel that Philosophy Super Natural Air Brushed Powder provides better coverage but LG has better matching for skin color w/ the marbilized effect I use Philosophy when I'm rushing due to the built in delivery system but prefer LG overall. For me, I have neutral tone and this isn't too pink nor too yellow. Love it.

***EDIT REVIEW****

I took off 2 lippies because I am wearing this regularly and having some issues. First of all, it does not do well in humidity! It doesn't last long like other mmu and it gets all blochy at the end of the day. Secondly, I've broken out on my cheeks and chin in red pimples. Too bad because I love it in the begining of the day and the color match is superb.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2009 3:23:00 AM More reviews by lareinaxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

foundation, what is it?

something we all use, something we all have different preferences with..some like powder.. creme.. or liquid. i have tried everything, drugstore..*yukk* high end, from mac, chanel, nars ..etcc. and i have found a few that i do like a lot, and they are all for a different purpose. i use macs studio tech for my photoshoots since it looks perfectly flawless and has no white cast with a camera flash. i like mac studio sculpt for liquid, but sometimes i just don't feel like a dewy foundation. i want something light, portable for touchups and has great coverage still.

well.. i found it! i actually swapped for this. i liked the concept for the balancing with the diff color swirls, my face is close to perfect, i don't have red or brown spots, no acne either but i do have dark circles and freckles. [don't get me wrong i love my freckles :] but sometimes i want a nice even face when im getting done up and going out.

now i have used powder foundation's before, my first was everyday minerals, which is amazing.. but im not a huge fan of the non-portability, and also, i never found a perfect match for my skintone. then i tried macs studio fix powder. which i loved at first ...until i saw myself in pictures and realized my face was ghost white and my body was brown. it gives you a white cast..and i hate that, and lastly, it caked up real bad if you used too much and i would have to use fix plus and buff it in. my last attempt at powder was macs mineralize skinfinish natural in medium dark. and i really do like this, it doesn't cake up like the studio fix did...but..it just wasn't a home run.

so that brings me to laura gellers balance n brighten. girls, im telling you, this product is absolutely amazing. and im a huge critic on face makeup. i am a makeup artist, and have used so many things, and i give everything a fair chance and give them a month or so until i give up on it, or know if its something i really like. balance n brighten was a hit immediately. i knew right away this was perfect for me. i was in love at first sight ..of my face :)

the first huge difference was, i tried swatching it on my finger like i do with all new products. i didn't see anything? i was like.. well okay this might be okay for a sheer coverage, maybe a light summer powder...wrong. girls, if u swatch studio fix powder and balance n brighten on two diff fingers, you will see on finger caked up and one looking normal. so after i did the finger swatch, it was time to test it on my face. i took my "adorned with grace minerals" mini skunk brush. [its identical to macs 188] exept it has a short handle. i swirled it around and applied to my face.

ohhh my goddd!! i couldn't believe it! it was the most velvety, airbrushed, smooth, blurred, pretty colored, light feeling thing to ever touch my face. and the thing that shocked me the most!? it was full coverage! it seriously went on so even and you couldn't see my freckles, it was what my skin would look like if it was out of a magazine...and like i wasn't wearing anything.

on my finger, i see nothing, but on my face, it transforms! i am in love ..its magic. like i can't even tell you how much this product means to me. to find a foundation that works miracles comes once in a lifetime haha.

the packaging-

this powder comes in a mac mineralize skinfinish type of compact. it doesn't have an all clear lid, its a half moon where you can see product on the top, the bottom of the lid is black with the laura geller logo on it. & there is gold stripes around the compact. when you open it, there is a half moon mirror where on the bottom, under the top clear part. which is so nice because you always need a mirror right!?

color-

its almost indescribable. since its like a mineralize skinfinish without shimmer, there is lots of veining. its pretty to look at too. they are all different since there hand made and baked in italy. no two are the same. [which is why i always pick my own msfs at the mac counter] because i want the one with the best veining. unfortunately you can't pick with laura geller products, because everything is in a black box with tape. but its really okay because you will get one with just enough swirls. as of now, there are two shades, i would guess because this product is becoming more popular, she will come out with more for darker women. she already put out the medium one, there used to only be fair!

fair- base- ivory, with pink, beige & yellow swirls.

medium- base- beige, with pink, tan & yellow swirls.

i actually have both colors, first i got the fair, when i loved it so much i got the medium. its summer right now and im getting tanner, so i have options. im an NC37 in mac. and the great thing about this powder is, weather your cool or warm toned..this WILL work for you, you don't need to worry about that. the yellow helps neutralize your skin, the pink helps perfect, and the beige/tan/cream colored base is the foundation and color. you can deff use this lightly for a light/sheer coverage. or like i do with a skunk brush or kabuki and buff it in for a fuller coverage. but no matter how much i apply. it will neverrr cake on me. its wonderful!

overall, as you can tell from my long review, im in love with this product, and i would highly suggest it to all of you who are looking for a new foundation, are sick of the one your using, can't find the right color, need one that wont cake up, are new to makeup, a pro.. whatever it may be, this will work for you. its magic im telling you. so go to your nearest sephora and try this out! the price isn't bad for the product you get it. and it really lasts a long time.

if you are not sure what one to get out of the fair and medium, send me an email, tell me your color foundation you are wearing now, and i will tell you which one will suit you best.

thanks for reading my review, and enjoy being beautiful, as you ALL are

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Stylebaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Laura Geller on QVC. She has such a winning personality and I really believe in her enthusiasm for her products. I wanted so much to love this!! Sadly, for me it did not work. Applied lightly, it didn't offer any coverage at all. Applied more heavily, it offered medium coverage, plus a dried-out, matte and powdery finish. Within ten minutes, the reasonably acceptable shade match turned to a darker, orange tone that made me look like my face belonged to a different body than my neck. It made me wonder just what she means when she calls this product "self-adjusting" in tone. My skin is not oily, and I used primer, so it seems I did all I could to prevent color change, with no success. I'm really sad about this!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by franwx

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I buy this again and again from QVC or Sephora depending on the better deal.( I keep trying liquid foundations w/no luck & other powder foundations show every fine line.) I'm 50+ and co-workers always comment on my skin. "what did you do? did you have work done?"(Would love to if I could afford.) I also use LG blush, optical illusion powder, LG eye products & BE all over face color in True or Bliss. Love all LG products.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2009 1:36:00 PM More reviews by makeitadouble

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried a lot of mineral powder foundations: BE, Jane Iredale, Urban Decay, Philosophy, Bella Rose by SSC, and Smashbox, and this one is the best, hands down. I have several foundations (liquid, powder, tinted moisturizer) in my rotation, and every single time I wear this one, I get compliments on my skin. In fact, I can't stop looking at myself in the mirror! A beautiful, luminous finish, not drying, and not shimmery. I highly recommend a flat-top brush (I use one from Pur Minerals) which gives a much a better finish than any other brush I've used. I will continue to buy this, along with the Ethereal Rose blush...I feel 10 years younger with this combo! In fact, I've been asked for my ID 3 times this year buying booze while wearing this (I'm 45!) =]

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by Magixz

Another Laura Geller tried and fail for me! I really want to love her products but so for...notta. I got this one at the same time I got the Spackle, and it is no better than Revlon's Colorstay Brighten Mineral Finishing Powder. In fact, I think Revlon's is a way better product for the money! L.G. Balance-n-Brighten is almost the same shade as Revlon's Brighten, the difference to me is L.G. has way too much gold in it, whereas Revlon's is more of a silvery sheen. Too little L.G. Balance-n-Brighten and why bother, can't even see it, another gentle swipe, and oops too much then you have a real shiny gold wherever you landed your brush. ;-) I am not a person that wants to have to be extra careful when I am applying a powder that is supposed to be an all over product. I guess I was hoping this powder was something different that would be useful for a general type face powder for setting foundation, but it is anything but that. It is more for use as another highlighter of sorts, although it is advertised differently. In the Sephora store when I applied it to my wrist, the lighting prevented me from seeing just how gold it really was. It looked so pretty in there, but once I got it home and applied it, a different story all together and in the sun....wow...is my only description. I have tried to use this many times now and in many different ways. It is not dark enough for a blush, and way too shiny anyways. The container is also a bit cheap to say the least. It is a matte black color with half a see through lid to the product. There is no applicator of any sort which is ok by me, as I rather use my own. I hate writing negative reviews but this time, well...I just felt I should be truthful and save some of you the time and trouble of seeking this one out. I wanted this one for a long time, finally drove the 50 mile or so round trip to get it, and what a bust it has turned out to be for me. Now it has to go back, along with the other L.G. item I bought. Thus my longings is costing more gas and headaches than pleasure. All in the name of being a cosmetic junkie. ;-)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2009 7:55:00 PM More reviews by woollyworm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm 50 w/normal to dry skin.I've tried BE but it seemed to emphasize any fine line or wrinkle.I bought intro kit from QVC & really like this as a foundation.I also love Laura Geller's optcal illusion powder. I still use BE all over face color in True or Bliss depending on if a peach or pink day. Since using Obagi system have not been using Spackle. Will re-buy Laura Geller Balance & Brighten.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 9:05:00 AM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for about a month now and feel that I can give it a good review.
Firstly, I'm an NW25 in MAC and it matches my skintone. I started using this as an NW20 and it perfectly matched my skin. It still matches my skin now, but since I'm a shade darker sometimes I need extra bronzer too.
I use this as a finishing powder over my foundation or for days when I don't want to wear foundation, I'll just use concealer and this.
I apply the Balance-N-Brighten with a MAC 180 brush and buff it all over my face. I find when I'm having bad skin days (breakouts and such) this stuff really comes through. Sometimes I don't want a thick layer of foundation on my face, just Balance-N-Brighten when my skin is giving me a hard time and I find the coverage is awesome. It's a buildable coverage powder so can be applied lightly for a sheer look or with a heavier hand for maximum coverage.
The staying power is also excellent. Just need one touch up of blot powder with it for this season.
I love how the Balance-N-Brighten gives me a nice glow. It makes me look healthy and just wakes my skin up. Also, I used this while I was sunburnt for a couple of days and it masked my redness without looking too over-powdered! It definitely helps for those with redness/rudiness to their skin.
The only con to this is the packaging, I don't care for it. I have the round disc style packaging and after sliding around in my makeup bag for a day, sometimes the powder gets a little crumbly around the edges. They should invest in sturdier packaging.
Other than the above, I love Balance-N-Brighten and will continue to use this as much as possible. It has not caused my skin any grief and overall, is an excellent product. I usually love MAC mineralize skinfinish natural powders and have several of them, but nothing beats Balance-N-Brighten in my book :)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2009 2:56:00 AM More reviews by Jenls27

I bought the fair from Sephora and I took it back within a few days. It was way to yellow for my skin and I have yellow undertones. It was also to dark. This isn't just a no, I won't buy it again, but a HELL NO!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2009 8:56:00 AM More reviews by raingirlred

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got the Balance-n-Brighten not expecting much coverage from it because it's a powder, I was way wrong. This product covers skin beautify leaving it looking flawless. I just wish it came in more shades because the fair is a bit too dark for me.