July 28, 2014 | 2044 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by punkfiend

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a constant re-purchase for me as it is the best sunscreen I have ever found. I really want to protect my skin against ageing and the formula is so good your make up will stay on all day. Who needs Laura Mercier primer when you can use this! .

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2008 2:55:00 PM More reviews by ppandb

I use this as my everyday sunscreen. The cream version works well for my combination skin. It is known that the Shiseido Ultimate Sun formulas can be drying. I always apply Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel underneath. And in the winter, at times, I need to apply moisturizer underneath as well. I get a very oily t-zone, and this sunscreen also acts as my mattifier - I only need to blot my t-zone once mid-day (huge improvement). It is fragranced, which I don't like, but I have gotten use to it, and over look it for all it's great qualities. The cream is really more like a lotion, and rubs on fairly easily. The sunscreen needs a few minutes for it's white-ish appearance to dissipate (totally goes away) - and several more minutes until I would recommend applying any makeup (I wait 10 minutes). The best part is it's photo-stable protection, with a PPD of 8-10 - Which I think is perfect for everyday use. And it's rock solid. The very water resistant formula doesn't budge - so I know I am protected all day. I am using MAC Cleanse Off Oil to completely remove the sunscreen. The only improvements I would love to see are: no fragrance and less 'drying' time. Just bought my second tube - love love love it. Can't wait for the new Euro formulas with higher PPD to come to the states.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2008 5:11:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryTarte

I have fair, sensitive, combination Asian skin and I love everything about this sunscreen. Love the matte, smooth finish and the texture of the cream. Also, I love that I can cleanse, tone and then just use this as my moisturizer in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 9:52:00 AM More reviews by ClaireLily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my favorite sunscreen! I have tried countless other sunscreens (Avene, Vichy, Neutrogena, L'Oreal, etc.) and this one fits my needs best. I have dry, sensitive skin and I cannot use any high PPD European ss as they irritate my skin terribly. This one, despise its scent and chemical ingredient, does not and that is quite a feat in itself. I often mix it with foundation to lessen the white tint and makes makeup application easier and quicker. This ss acts as a makeup primer and makes my foundation look much better! It wears very well throughout the day, doesn't melt or disappear and truly protects against the sun. I have been using this sunscreen for one year and the hyperpigmentation on my face is much reduced. Sure, I wish this were fragrance free, cheaper and with a higher PPD. But when it comes to sunscreen, I know how hard the search is and I am counting my blessings with this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2008 3:11:00 AM More reviews by buttermilk

I am extremely fair and sun-sensitive, so I depend on a good sunscreen. On the other hand, I am also acne-prone, and have to be careful about what I put on my face. This sunscreen is the only one I have found so far that answers my prayer for easy, effective burn-prevention that does not break me out. I apply this cream before any makeup and it disappears into my skin immediately without any shine or residue. The rest of my makeup application is completely normal. If I find myself in the bright sun for longer, I just coat this directly on top, as soon as possible, and it has never failed me. The scent is gentle and neutral (smells like cold cream). The tube is slim, so it travels very easily, yet it holds a lot of product. Unfortunately this stuff is extremely expensive. I hate the thought of having to repurchase (my tube has lasted me a couple of years) but will do it for the sake of young skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 12:42:00 AM More reviews by AlleyCat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love that this product is light and absorbs quickly without leaving a heavy residue. I am able to apply makeup withing few minutes.
    With that being said, I was skeptical of how well it would protect when traveling to Mexico.

My husband and I both used this product all over and stayed in the sun for hours without a trace of a burn.

The price is $$ but it delivers.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2008 12:26:00 PM More reviews by hemispheres

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

After all the great reviews on this SS, I decided to give it a try. When I applied it, it seemed to leave a "protective coating" or film on my skin. It did seem to mattify my oily face but, only for awhile. This SS is way too expensive for the size ($50) for a 2 oz tube!! And to remove it off your face you have to use an oil based cleanser. All in all, thought it was a so so sunscreen, nothing spectacual. Once in a while I will use it on my hands and arms.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2008 9:47:00 AM More reviews by PetuniaP

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect s/s because this one did not do the trick. It has both some good and bad qualities, but I will not re-purchase because it did not give me great protection. I went out in the sun and my face got darker and my melasma re-appeared. I should note that the rest of my body did not get any color and I was just using banana boat continuous spray 30. Pros: cosmetically elegant, does not ball up, not much white cast; Cons: Provides unsatisfactory protection, expensive for the small tube, you need to use a lot of product to get the desired effect. I'm moving on to ti-silc and I hope that it's better!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2007 4:05:00 PM More reviews by AnythingVanilla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Smooth, no white cast, not drying and no oilies. Awesome protection! Expensive though and not liking some of the chemicals in it. Moving to California Baby suggested by the green guide.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2007 2:29:00 PM More reviews by smell_the_roses

I heart you, Shiseido 55! I've been using this sunscreen for the last couple years. The price is a little much, but I am willing to pay for it because of the benefits. On my last appointment, my derm told me my skin is more even than ever; no more redness. So not only is it protecting my skin, but it does it in a non-greasy way, making any pores invisible (b/c of the silicones I'm guessing). Never will be without it!