December 18, 2014 | 1332 users online

Moisturizers - LUSH - Celestial

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by lareinarumbera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i have sensitive, dry-combo (oil in the t-zone, super dry in eye/cheek area & chin) skin that suffers from flare ups (hives, itching, bumps, inflammation & millia) once in a while. i was doing okay recently until i tried a sample of clinique super rescue night cream, after which my face was covered with loads of millia and blotchiness! i love lush in general, but never really used their skin care (except for grease lightning and mask of magnaminty for the occasional clogged pore/blemish around that time of the month, and ultrabland for makeup removal) - i normally use their body stuff and soap (LONG LIVE DREAM CREAM, but that's another review)... so i decided to give lush a try in the facial care department.
GENERAL: teresa at the local lush is the sweetest girl ever, and she helped me pick up a few things: angels on bare skin cleanser/exfoliant to rinse with daily, fresh famacy 2x-3x a week if my skin is acting up (but no more since that would make my skin too dry), eau roma toner to soothe, and celestial (PM) and paradise regained (AM, has spf).
after a week of following this regime, i can safely say that my skin is soothed and glowing again.
CELESTIAL ITSELF: i thought this would make my nose/forehead break out for sure, but NOOOOO... it actually calmed a spot on the side of my nose, and absorbed well. i only needed a tiny amount for my entire face & neck. when i wake up in the morning, i do have a little oil on my forehead but that doesn't bother me too much since i will cleanse again & apply a lighter moisturizer (aforementioned paradise regained, has AHAs from pineapples to control oil). my cheeks are not tight, burning or uncomfortable either! anyway. the millia on my chin & eye area are still a bit scratchy but they've faded noticeably in the past 3 days, and the ones on my forehead are in the process of going away too. skin tone is overall more even and clear - even looks more pink - i'm a fair toned asian (NC15, 20 in the summer) that can look sick/sallow if i don't sleep well (which is often since i'm a full time student), but even when i don't have that much sleep, my skin glows! i also really like the fact that it's mostly natural, and has a pleasant vanilla cookie scent. the scent dissipates quickly and did not irritate my skin either, MUCH WIN! i will repurchase and repurchase - i've spent so much money on clinique that this entire system, which actually works, is natural and more ethically made, although pricey in nominal terms, justify the cost of getting it. i took off a couple lippies on the packaging because it would be so much more hygenic to have it in a pump system like the grease lightning - all the samples in the store are packaged like that (for hygenie/testing reasons, i'm sure), i don't know why they just don't make it that way. it must use more plastic or something environmentally unfriendly like that. PLEASE DON'T EVER DISCONTINUE OR I WILL SHRIVEL UP AND DIE!

***********UPDATE*****************
it has now been three consecutive weeks that i used my lush system. i no longer get the oily parts, my skin is completely balanced, yay! my skin is smooth, brighter, even toned and soft. amazing. it's even better now that i don't get those oily patches.

***********UPDATE 2***************
if you find lush moisturizers too thick, try this:
put a small amount in your plam, spray 2-3 pumps of your LUSH toner of choice, emulsify in your palms, and PAT over your face. it turns the thick cream into a watery, lotion-y emulsion that absorbs quickly, but doesn't sacrifice the rich moisture you would get :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2009 11:40:00 AM More reviews by graciebaby28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite use for this product had previously been using it after microderm treatments. It felt soothing and light, and worked so well to calm and moisturize my skin. I would use it at night and noticed each morning my skin looked 'plumped up'. I always attributed that to the microderm treatments. That is, until I used it one night without doing a microderm treatment and woke up to the same results. My skin looked plumped up and softer. Like my skin--15 years ago LOL And all this time I had given all the credit to microderm, silly me.

I then looked again at the ingredients. Ah-ha! It lists glycerin very high on that list. Glycerin being a humectant, draws moisture from the air to your skin--Essentially, plumping it up. How did I overlook that little gem in this moisturizer. Combine that with the soothing almond milk and this is a fantastic moisturizer that calms and soothes. I have even taken to using it during the day now because, well, why should nighttime get all the good looking skin:)

**Tip for dry winter skin or when you want to feel extra pampered~Sleep with this moisturizer or any that contain glycerin, and your humidifier on. You'll double the impact of your moisturizer. I cheat on days I don't use a humidifier and just apply it to lightly dampened skin. I find that works great, too.

I also find most LUSH moisturizers to work best on damp skin. Since they contain so many good cold pressed oils and butters, I find the extra water helpful in having them sink in well. That way my skin doesn't feel as heavy or greasy when using those ingredients. Helps them spread well, too. This is one that easily spreads with or without the extra water, though. I just like the extra water for the moisture retention with this one.♥

Ingredients~Vanilla Water (Vanilla planifolia), Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Almond Milk (Prunus dulcis), Glycerine, Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Dove Orchid Extract (Dendrobium), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2009 11:30:00 AM More reviews by emluken

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm so-so on this moisturizer, so probably won't purchase again, though I'm about to finish the whole pot. I'm just sure I can find something better...

Celestial comes in a black LUSH pot (collect 5 and return them for a free fresh face mask). I prefer pump bottles as they are more hygenic and keep the poduct fresh. The smell is kind of like vanilla marshmallows, which isn't bad, but I'd prefer unscented.

I have combination skin, and this moisturizer is best in the winter (Wisconsin) when my skin is on the drier side and has the occasional flakiness. It helps take away redness from dryness/dehydration/windburn. It's just a little to greasy for me in the summer, especially when humid.

My favorite use for this is to put it on at night after doing a face mask. It sinks in nicely, and I wake up with soft skin and clear complexion.

This is not very expensive as far as LUSH moisturizers are concerned. Overall, it's OK, but I'm still looking for something better at this price. I love Laura Mercier's moisturizer, but it's almosy $100! ouch :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2009 2:11:00 PM More reviews by tuffins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I rec'd this in my skin care trial pack. I have been using this for about 2 weeks and I believe it is just too rich for my skin. It was fine at first and then the neck breakouts started. I have never broken out on my neck (starting just below my chin) and I am almost 100% sure 'Celestial' is the culprit. Smells lovely and moisturizes very well but it will have to be demoted to hand cream as it doesn't work for my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2009 6:08:00 PM More reviews by UberCute

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using Celestial for about a week now, and I am quite happy with it. I use it twice a day (morning and night) right after my cleanser. It smells very light and natural. It is quite thick on the skin, so you really don't need much at all. I usually just dot it on my forehead, each cheek, tip of nose, chin, and just smooth it on. It definitely makes your skin feel good. I have not been getting break-outs from this at all. This would be HG for the colder months for sure. During the summer I would be a little bit lighter with the application, as it could make you look a little oily, but all around I'm happy with this purchase and will probably be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2009 4:08:00 PM More reviews by TOSIN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was the first LUSH moisturiser I tried and I really liked it! Smells wonderful and so gentle and soothing when my skin feels sensitive and sore from wind/winter/over exfoliation. Only issue I have is that it could get a bit greasy if the teeeniest amount isn't used. I have combo skin (used to be pretty dry until I discovered LUSH skincare) and I found this a tad heavy when the weather wasn't cold. I may repurchase when the weather changes but then again, skin's shangri-la is an excellent deep moisturiser that I'd probably reach for first. For an excellent dry skin cream that won't break the bank, go for celestial!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2009 4:21:00 AM More reviews by channingtatum

Since I decided to try all-natural ingredients for my skin care, I bought this one along with the AoBS and Ultra Bland. And I love this moisturizer. It's lightweight and my skin absorbs it quickly. It is moisturizing but not oily and it has such a nice scent. I store it in the fridge and it is super refreshing to apply on my face especially since it's summer. Definite buy!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2009 11:34:00 AM More reviews by adidav9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked this up along with Angels on Bare Skin cleanser after a SA applied both to my hand (they are so persistent!). I didn't really like the way AoBS smelled, and I loved the faint vanilla scent of Celestial, so I figured the two would compliment and balance each other in my skin routine.

My main gripe about my skin is that it looks very dull. It just fails to retain moisture. Celestial is the first moisturizer that has given me that dewy, super moist-skin look that I've been wanting for years. A little bit goes a long way - I usually take about a pea-sized portion and dab some along all the areas of my face before gently smoothing it out on my fingers. I can see how it would be too heavy for oily-skinned girls, especially in the summer, but for me it's perfect.

At around $20 for a small tub it is rather pricey, considering it has a shelf life of about 3 months. However, most moisturizers run at $14-$20 anyway, even drugstore brands, so it's not an outrageous price by any stretch of the imagination. Although I love this product, I would highly recommend asking for a sample first, as it is a heavy moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2009 8:51:00 PM More reviews by flowersfade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this is too heavy for me to use most days, but i love it as a nighttime moisturizer. i use fresh farmacy at night which is too drying for my imperialis moisturizer.

i do not own this currently, i only had a sample. my lush store doesn't stock celestial for some reason so i went with skin drink for a heavy moisturizer, but when i finish that i will go back to celestial. i like the texture better and it does smell delicious. i can see how people find it greasy and it does take a while to fully absorb, but i love how moisturizing it is and it doesn't make me break out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2009 7:21:00 PM More reviews by PaleIsTheNewTan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received a decent size sample jar of Celestial Moisturizer from the sweethearts at my local Lush. As I explained my skin [sensitive, slightly dry right now, generally not acne-prone apart from the 3 days before my period], I wanted a daily moisturizer that would add some much needed moisturizer back into my skin. I also got a sample of Celestial along with Vanishing Cream in my Night in for 2 Skincare Package, so I've been able to use it for the past 4 days, and still have enough for the rest of the week, using 2x/day.

I should be an oil slick, given it's summer, or at least more combo, but I have been experiencing facial dryness since April of this year. I tend to also be a bit ruddy on my nose & cheeks.

Celestial is not the moisturizer for me. It hasn't clogged my pores. I haven't broken out. Any moisturizing benefits just sit on my skin and have this heavy feeling. I put it on yesterday at 3 in the afternoon; by midnight my face still had that greasy feeling. It felt like I had drenched my face in calamine lotion. It did nothing to even out skintone, but it hasn't caused an allergic reaction. Balled up under my primer & foundation.

I think this moisturizer is very average, and a dissapointment given the price. The smell isn't overpowering - kinda reminded me of a watered-down Nivea cream with baby oil or something. I hate that I have to dip my hand in the jar as well. The only sensitive skin people I could reccomend it to are those who are practically flaking due to dryness - this is just way too heavy for my slightly dry skin.

ETA: I used Celestial for the past two weeks straight at night, for a more intensive, night-time moisturizer. This did quite a nice job of moisturizing, and left my skin dewey and plump in the morning. However, this broke me out. Everyday, I'd wake up with one new, small whitehead - and I'm not very acne-prone. At first, I chalked it up to PMS, stress, etc. but as soon as I switched back to my regular night cream (Nivea Intensive Night Cream for Dry/Sensitive Skin), the breakouts stopped. Shame, as this did a really great job of moisturizing, but I'm not willing to put up with constant breakouts. I've learned my lesson; staying away, will not rebuy.