October 24, 2014 | 938 users online

Cleansers - Noxzema - Original Skin Cream

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2011 10:38:00 AM More reviews by MissJulie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

What more can be said about this stuff? It's a classic. I picked this up about a few weeks ago when I was desperate to try something new for my freaked-out face (very broken-out, oily, and just plain terrible). It was only FIVE BUCKS for a 12 OZ TUB. I still can't believe how much product you get for a Lincoln.
Alot of my favorite products are packaged in tubs, and the fact that this one is doesn't even register as annoying with me anymore. I LOVE the texture- very creamy and light (almost mousse-like, but a bit firmer) and easy to spread without being messy. If I don't want to dip my fingers into the tub I just use a spoon.
Once I have the cream in my hands, I slather it onto my face and go to town with my Olay Pro-X brush. No, this cream doesn't lather, but it doesn't need to in order to let you know that your face is getting clean beyond clean.The menthol effect isn't intense, either. It's modestly cooling, refreshing, and makes my skin babysoft with a bit of a healthy glow.
I've been using this cream every night since I purchased it (even on nights when I use a more intense scrub, I still use a bit to remove makeup before the scrub), and it hasn't failed me yet. It never dries my face out, and stays true to its functionality with each and every use. I get the feeling that my Pro-X brush might have something to do with this, but it's obviously worked for people who don't use a cleansing brush.
My skin has been looking and feeling so much more healthy, bright and smooth since I started using this cream. If your skin can handle menthol and other cooling sensations, try this. It's absolutely wonderful!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2011 11:53:00 AM More reviews by JordanRene

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love noxzema. It has really helped my acne and it's gentle on the skin. I do miss the smell of the old formula, but the new one works, so that's the important part. I switch between Noxzema and Lard & Lye soap, but Noxzema always seems to be the best.

UPDATE: 12/15/12
Okay, so I've come to realize that this stuff didn't help my acne at all. It actually made it worse, but made it look better by leaving a layer that kind of covered it. I noticed this because I haven't been using it at all this winter, and my skin looks A LOT better... It' okay every once in a while, and maybe for sunburned skin, but I think I'll stick to my natural soap. This stuff just doesn't do it for me as I thought it did.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2011 6:09:00 PM More reviews by cowgirlamber

I can't believe I stopped using this to try other products. Like the old saying goes; why fix what ain't broke? I've tried several skin care regimens from high end to drugstore and NOTHING has worked like Noxzema! My mother used this and she had beautiful skin even as a smoker so when I came 'of age', my mom got me started on this. Everytime I use this product, my face is so soft, balanced, and most importantly; CLEAR. Nothing clears up my blackheads and keeps the pimples away like Noxzema. LOVE IT.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by PattyTheK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this at the suggestion of a friend, and I'm glad I did. Amazing stuff. At first, I did not like it - it's not like other cleansers, that's for sure. However I stuck with it and soon enough, my skin tone started to even out a lot (I'm very pale with pink/red tones). I love the consistency and the texture. Sure, I love a good "foaming" cleanser now and then, but they don't remove my make-up like Noxema can. I think another reason people tend to shy away from it is that it's not an easy cleanser to use. It's not a "foam-rinse-done!" product. Another great feature: the price. Where I live, I can get the huge jar for 4 bucks. WOW. I have a travel size jar I keep in the shower. I just refill it over and over from the big jar.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 8:31:00 PM More reviews by bethb216

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using this stuff since I was like, 12... so for the last 14 years or so. There's a reason it's a classic- it works. It smells great, like menthol/eucalyptus, and it feels tingly and refreshing. I love the tub, it makes it easy to scoop out the right amount of product. I once tried the pump version, and it sucked, it was watery and just didn't feel or work the same as the original Noxzema in the blue tub. It is moisturizing and doesn't dry my face out or make it feel tight and itchy like some face washes, it also doesn't break me out or leave a film on my face. I will probably continue to use this stuff for the rest of my life. I sometimes use other products, but I always come back to plain old original Noxzema.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by rbyars1

Noxzema my friend, how have a forsaken thee for so long? It's been years and years upon years since I have used Noxzema and decided on a whim when ran out of my St Ives to give it a go again. I really had forgotten how great this cleanser is, it's refreshing with that nostalgic Noxzema scent that we all know ( I myself love the scent very much) It takes off every trace of makep, including mascara leaving my skin squeaky clean but not feeling stripped of moisture and doesn't seem to break me out. The only reason I gave it a 4 lippie instead of 5 is for the tub packaging, not really crazy about it but I can deal. Will most definately buy again..

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2011 12:39:00 AM More reviews by ssj2pizza

I love using this product for my SUN BURN~ yay! (not) But really, Noxzema for whatever reason is able to make my sunburns turn to tans overnight! (And I like burn always, no matter how much sunscreen I use.) And the 'minty'-ness of the product is very soothing to burnt skin.

Also, I started using this as a face wash again, out of desperation really, because most all other acne face washes are too harsh on my skin and would either turn me super red and painful, or make me break out more. (I really do not like clinique's acne solutions. Yucky.) This is so nice and soothing. :) yay~

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Stacela72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The girls at sephora tell me otherwise...but I swear that nothing cleans makeup off like noxzema. I am acne prone and fighting aging at all costs. Noxzema does not cause break outs and makes my skin soft. I use it every night.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2011 1:28:00 PM More reviews by herbgurl82

As odd as it sounds, my love affair with Noxzema began as a child, when I found one of the old colbalt blue glass jars that they used to package this in back in the 60s buried in my backyard. I still have that glass jar on my desk as I type, as a paper clip holder... But onto the practical part of this review.
My grandmother used this and she always had great skin. I used to love this stuff, and always came back to it. Both the original formula, and the one with the added moisturizers worked very well for me as a teenager, and young adult in college. My mother bought me a new tub of it at Walmart recently, and I noticed that the feel of it in my hands was different. More of a mousse consistency, is the best way I can describe it. I dug my old container out of the trash, and compared the labels. Loh, and behold, they changed the formula! They added phenol, which is an eye irritant, and moved the gelatin up on the ingredients list, which is odd, considering the texture. It left a gritty film on my face. They should not be marketing this under the "original" label, as the formula has changed. That is very deceitful. I will not repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2011 6:05:00 PM More reviews by maddie34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It works well but be careful.
Two ingredients, Ammonium Hydroxide and Propylene Glycol, are carcinogens. However, given how long this product has been on the market (since 1914), if it could be directly linked to cancer I highly doubt it would still be available. I wouldn't blame anyone for not using it for that reason, but it is FDA approved and, as far as I know, safe if used correctly.
That said, for me this worked exactly as advertised. I apply it to my face while dry, leave it on for a minute or two, and wash off with a warm washcloth. It cleared the blackheads on my nose as well as anything else I've ever used (Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask, ProActive, scrubs, peels, oil cleansing method, etc.). That said, be sure to use it in moderation. If I use it more than once a day, my skin will become very red and irritated. Use it at most once per day, reduce to every other day if you experience any irritation or redness.
I can't give this a 4 or 5 due to the harmful chemicals but it does work if you're careful with how you use it. It is certainly an aggressive treatment.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No