Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

on 11/15/2009 7:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I was looking for an undereye brightener but was in a fix because I hate the way concealers look on me (like foundations, it is so difficult to get a shade that would match my skin perfectly. I also dislike how they would cake up under my eyes and make me look horrible close up). I was leaning towards Bobbi Brown's Eye Brightener, but even that didn't work for me. I have been using YSL Touche Eclat for that purpose with reasonable success but I didn't like that when used daily, it would give me milia. So anyway when I finished my last tube of Touch Eclat I thought I'd take a break from it and try this powder. I tried it at the store but for some reasom although it didn't wow me then, I did part with my money and take a pot of this powder home (in shade #2).

When I got home and put it on the following few days, I thought 'What was I thinking? I should have bought another Touch Eclat pen' but today - after much crying all night (a tiff with the SO) I woke up with puffy undereyes. I had a lunch meeting today that I couldn't escape, so I put on my eye makeup as usual and dusted a bit of the BP under my eyes and then like magic my puffed up undereyes disappeared!

It does it so subtly you don't know what hit you, but you know that when it's not there your reddened puffy undereyes would be so obvious.

I don't know how else to describe it, I don't know how it works, but this will be a staple in my MU bag from now on. Oh and a big plus is that it doesn't give me milia!

ETA: I hate the packaging though - it should have a sliding shaker cover to close the holes which are so big I have to scotch tape all but one hole - and even then a lot of powder can leak out.

UPDATE: I really like how this powder brightens my undereye area in photos. No reverse panda effect at all. ♥

on 11/13/2009 7:20:00 PM

Received a sample in a swap and tested it a few times. I'm 37 yo and I use Bobbi Brown corrector religiously under my eyes. I had heard that the secret brightening powder used over the BB corrector is HG for many MUAers. I tried this but it felt like I was smearing chalk under my eyes. I don't have particularly dry skin, but it made me look like I have dry wrinkly skin under my eyes. No thanks, not for me.

on 10/26/2009 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

years and years of using this product attest to how much I love it. Way before HD powders and mineral powders, there was the SBP. The little round box could improve with the newer separators like the LM Mineral powder line has.

This powder is an absolute must for anyone who wants a really finished look and needs to de-shine but not dull up their faces.

love this and have my stash in place:D

on 10/26/2009 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

it is one of the best posible undereye powders. As any powder would do it emphesize fine lines but less than the other powders do. It is white but it disappears like fairy powder in a minute. I put it around my eyes and mounth with mac 190 and when i am done i have a hard to tell difference; no shimmering no nacre but a natural lighter and brighter color. It is one of a kind a must have makeup item. I have not seen any similar powder

on 10/25/2009 2:37:00 AM

A little of this powder is all it takes! This is a very white powder and it is fine with whichever concealer I use under my eyes. I could have written the review below me. I have hereditary dark circles. People always say that I look like I need more sleep if I do not apply concealer. I could sleep all day and drink tons of water, but the dark circles remain.

When I apply this powder, I use the Nars 13 large dome brush. It picks up just the right amount of powder on its fluffy bristles. If you put on too much, the powder is no longer "Secret."

This tub lasts forever because so little is used. Doubt if I'll need a replacement for more than a year, but I will restock when the day comes.

See my notepad for my current concealer favorites.

on 10/9/2009 9:07:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Hall of fame status for setting one's undereye concealer! This is one of the very few products that I cannot do without. I have dark, hereditary undereye circles and must use concealer. Regardless of what concealer I currently favor, I ALWAYS set it with LM's secret brightening powder. Finely milled, does not settle into fine lines, if applied lightly does not look powdery. (I apply with BB's eye blender brush, but anything of that ilk will do.) For reference, I'm NC25 and use LM's secret in #2. Unique and makes a real difference.

on 9/10/2009 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I'm a dark-skinned African-American, and I use the Secret Brightening Powder #2 interchangeably with LM's Transulcent Setting Powder. They are absolutely amazing for setting makeup and giving a subtle luminous glow to my skin.

The powder is incredibly finely milled, and soft as a kitten, so it glides smoothly over my face and never looks cakey. I much prefer using a translucent powder (like Secret Brightening) instead of a colored one, because I feel that the color builds up quickly on dark skin and begins to look unnatural. The Laura Mercier powders do the job perfectly without making me look like I have a face full of makeup.

The price is great, and the jar is the perfect size. I think I've repurchased this 5 or 6 times, since I use it all over my face. Best powder I've ever used.

on 7/8/2009 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

The sifter holes for this are too big so I only opened the sticker halfway exposing half the holes. I think the brush used to apply this powder is really important. At first I was using a blush brush and applied too much to too many areas and now using a smaller softer eyeshadow brush it applies evenly and really makes my concealer stay put. Too expensive though and sifter holes are too big!

on 6/29/2009 1:48:00 AM

I don't understand what the rave is all about! I have horrible dark circles and thought any extra boost that'll brighten that area sounded great. It turns out that this thing has no stay power whatsoever! I apply it in a patting motion with a fluffy eyeshadow brush and halfway through the day, not only did it settle in lines a little but it made my eyeliner smudge all over the place! And I only wear eyeliner on my top lid so I don't even know how that happened. I've tried this product again and again using different concealers also thinking that was the problem but again, instead of helping, it just emphasized my dark circles even more. I'm sticking with using Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust because that is great for undereye setting (so much cheaper too!). I've done the exact same process as I have with LM's powder and get no settling nor smudging of eyeliner. What a WASTE of money this product was!

on 6/17/2009 5:04:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i don't know what i was thinking when i bought this product...i mean...a POWDER....for UNDER MY EYES - the most dry, crepey, and line filled area i have on my face, and it's not even that bad. but it is the one area that i try to AVOID getting powder on, so why on earth did i spend $40+ on this powder and the brush?!?!?

i was so excited to try it after reading the reviews, but it really did nothing for my eye area except make it look matte, dry, and tired. at first i put too much on, so i tried again with just a light dusting, and it still looked awful. i'm sorry to bring down the rating but it just didn't work for me, and wasn't worth the money for something that just made me look older. my recommendation? try it out before you run in and buy it like i did.

on a plus side, i did keep the brush that they market with the's really soft and works very well for concealer, foundation, powder touch-ups, etc. at least i got something good out of my purchase!

Recommended for Normal Skin