April 24, 2014 | 1876 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by jboise2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love, love, LOVE, this product!! I flat out refuse to spend $150-200 on highlights at a salon, especially considering how often I change my haircolor. I went brown for the winter, and have found that my hair hates me less if I slowly return to blonde rather than all of a sudden soo I do afew rounds of highlighting.

I used the Revlon Frost and Glow Honey colored kit first, which didn't lead to much blonde because my hair, like I said, was brown. Afew weeks later, I used the kit one shade lighter for Blonde to Light Brown hair (model has short hair on the box) and it did the trick!! I would highly recommend this approach of using 2 kits to get lighter colors -- and since each one only costs like $7 at Walmart (at least in Illinois) it's still an Awesome bargain compared to salons.

Yes, it is time consuming. I spend at Least an hour pulling the hair through the cap. I do every circled hole over my whole head, and sometimes do a couple of the other holes in the face-framing and crown area. Be sure to style your hair as normal, but also beware of how the cap goes on. For me, I part my hair kind of deep to the side and have a small head, so on the cap the white seam runs basically right where my part is, so I turned the cap alittle on my head (not comfy, but doable) so there's no weird spots that didn't get highlights right along my part line. I also find it's best to have hair fall behind your ears (but not tucked behind, just like if you lean back and your hair naturally falls) so it's easier to get to the root to pull through (you don't want just the ends colored, of course), and I usually stop afew rows from the bottom because, again, you want the entire hair strand to pull through and it's hard to get down to the root.

Only pull afew hairs if you don't want streaky highlights..I mean like, 10 strands max. It's not much. At first I would put the hook in and kind of turn it before pulling it through but that brings out alot of hair...so now I just put the hook in and basically pull it right back out. Hard to explain, but you can try out the technique on afew holes in the front and just slide the wand underneath the cap if you pull too many and try again.

Also, be sure to leave the color on the whole time (60 minutes) if you really do want big results..if you have brassy hair naturally, it will be brassy if you rinse out too soon. It says to check the strands every now and then but for me, the strands always look really yellow and gross until rinsed and blended with other hair so that's never been a good way to judge for me. To each his/her own!

So to wrap this lengthy review up, I highly recommend giving it a try if you're willing to put in the time. An hour(ish) to pull, and an hour of processing the color once it's on. In my experience it's always been worth it!

Oh, and I saw that Revlon just made an even lighter shade of these highlighting kits for like, platinum blonde, so with 3 kits, you could go from medium brown like I was, to literally Playboy Bunny kind of blonde for the most part all over. And it'd be like $20!! Glorious :)

Good luck!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this because my once blonde summer hair had darkened a couple shades because of winter and the lack of sunlight, so i felt that my hair needed a little bit of life. When I had the cap on and had to pull through my hair in the tiny little holes I experienced sooo much pain. My hair is extremely long, at least 14 inches past my shoulders, so I guess it was my fault that I went for this one, because it is best suited/meant for people with shorter or medium length hair. But other than that the color was amazing, not too fake, just right. And it wasnt patchy, the hat allowed evenly spread highlights throughout my whole hair.
But i wont be buying this again because of the length of my hair, I have learned my lesson.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by silverlilly

Just used this tonight, after a horrible experience having my hair dyed "chocolate brown" at a salon - which came out a flat double espresso (almost black) with cherry undertones (I specifically said "no red!). Anyways I got the one for brown hair and it was a breeze to use, and smelled pleasant.. The cap was easy to use, the hair was quick and easy to pull through, even with the plastic hook provided (my hair is layered and past my bra strap). Got some help with the back part - pretty much impossible to see the holes yourself. Did every second hole (circled holes) and left on for 20 minutes, worried about a streaky fake look if I left it on any longer. I could have left it on longer! Went back and hand-did strands of the face-framing section with left over dye, for a bit more lift and it went a bit blonder. I now have more movement and dimension to my hair, although the highlights are very subtle - hopefully they lighten up over time. Unfortunately they are a reddish tone which I hate, but I had that in my hair to begin with (cant expect miracles) - will have to use a toner to cancel the red. But, overall it looks better than before and I'm pleased with how easy it was to use! I will use this again, maybe in the summer when I have achieved the actual colour I want (natural neutral brown with honey highlights). EDIT: It's morning now and I am just so happy with this product!! After seeing this in daylight, I can now see that I have created highlights that are superior to any I've ever had from a salon! My hair feels like silk, and looks natural and mulit-dimensional! The lighter face-framing sections look sun-kissed, not dyed. NO fried feeling, no straw. Never had that with highlights before! And most importantly - I've salvaged the salon disaster. Relief!!!! Try it, you'll love it.
EDIT: Ok, it's a couple of weeks post-highlights now, and I'm still in love with this product! Most of the unwanted red has washed out and I have warm caramel natural looking highlights and have received compliments on my hair - that usually doesn't happen. It brightens up my whole face - I'm so glad I have this colour for summer! Love, love, love!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2011 2:36:00 PM More reviews by gaijin89

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading all the reviews I decided to purchase this highlighting kit for I recently colored my hair light brown but it came out dark, so I wanted to put highlights in it. This is not an easy product to use! From the cap you have to put on and attempt to pull little pieces of hair through the holes even with a metal tool. This process alone takes well over an hour or so and I never did accomplish all the hairs I wanted. Once I finished that the easy part was mixing the solution and then I used a little brush to put on the hair. that was not too bad, but I was worried the whole time that some of the solution would get into the little holes on my hair. Anyway, once it was all said and done only a little bit of highlights showed up on top and the front and sides, but in the back of my head most of the highlights showed up, so it's uneven. It looks ok no terrible, but I would not do this again because it's SO darn time consuming and frustrating. The pulling the hair through the holes is the worst! I would not rec this product. I think next time I will go to the salon and let them do it. It may be worth the extra bucks.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by SaraWoman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was my first at-home highlight job. I cannot afford to spend money at the salon for it, so I finally got the courage to do it myself. After reading countless reviews I settled on the Revlon Frost & Glow for med-dark brown hair. I have med brown hair. I didn't bother with the plastic hook it came with, but got a metal one from Sally as other reviewer suggested. The cap is the reason I'm giving it 4 stars. I have a couple highlights that wish were closer to my scalp. So, next time I will buy a different cap. I left it on for almost 25 minutes before I even checked it. It looked so light blond, I started to panic. I didn't want it to go ultra blond. So, I rinsed it off. Now I wish I would've left it on for maybe another 5-8 minutes. It still looks good, just wish it was a tad more blond. Overall, I'm impressed with this kit and am happy it isn't brassy or orange! It looks natural and was easy to do the front & crown solo. Will use again for sure! Don't let the old-fashion-looking packaging deter you.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by choco4hire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the only frosting kit I use (use the medium to dark brown kit). I have natural dark auburn hair and have read so many times that red is the hardest color to get out. I used so many other kits in the past with poor results and have gone to various salons paying hundred$$ of dollars (and hours of time) with less than perfect results. This is the ONLY product that works for me. Yes I do leave on the product 45 to 50 minutes, which may be extensive to other people but works on my hair color. Keep in mind that you should use a plastic bag or heat bag to enhance the process, without it you get poor results. Do not put product on hair that is already colored/frosted, this is the key to avoiding brittle and damaged hair. I normally wait for the last 10 minutes of processing (wait about 35-40 minutes after doing the other parts of the hair) and add the remaining frost mixture to the other highlighted areas, then rebag the hair.

Since my hair is long I do not use the hair cap, would only use the hair cap for short hair only. Over the years I have saved $o much money using this kit. I cannot recommend it enough. And no I do not work for the company .

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by llindaloftin

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Was spending a fortune to get my hair "frosted" at the salon and never really liked it immediately afterward. I hadn't done any "in home" hair coloring since my 20's and that was long ago. This looks great! I bought a metal hook and had no problems pulling hair through the cap. Will definitely use again and again. Great product at a great price!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2011 2:31:00 PM More reviews by twox2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this kit based on the positive reviews. I used it on my hair yesterday and have to say it did a pretty good job. I have medium to dark brown hair so I used the kit for medium to dark hair. The highlights are blond and they did not get orange which is what happened to me the few times I tried a kit at home. I left the mixture on my hair for 50 minutes based on what others said. I think I could have gotten away with a little less time and my highlights wouldn't have been as light blonde.

A few things I learned my first time around. Pulling the hair through the back of the cap is unbelievably hard. I had to ask my husband to do it for me. Also it takes time to figure out how to use the hook provided. I think next time I will follow the advise of others and buy a better one from Sallys as well as a brush and bowl.

Pay attention to how much hair you pull out and how tightly you pull it. My husband moved the cap around a lot because he wasn't sure what he was doing with the hook and because he thought he was hurting me and because of that the highlights were not as close to the head as I would have liked. If I had pulled them through one more time before applying the mixture, this wouldn't have happened. I will also pull less hair through the holes and not use as many pre-made holes on the cape as I did. I did a test strip and I have a fairly wide highlight on my head compared to the others but it is nothing that looks really weird. I would say that I look more blond though at this point than brunette. Part of that is from highlighting old low lights - though they had gotten a weird color so it isn't all bad. I paid attention to what someone told me and waited until the highlights looked almost yellow under the product before I stopped the process.

The cap was really hard to pull off my head - I have longer than shoulder length hair and this was after I has rinsed a lot of it off. I used the enclosed shampoo and conditioner and my hair felt soft and looked shiny. It hasn't dried my hair out anymore than salon highlights would have.

I actually like the color a bit more than the last time I got them done at the salon - the only thing I don't like - they are a bit further from the root than I prefer but now I know that for next time.

I pay $185 for highlights alone and have gotten really bad results paying that much so $10.99 was a steal and it is a lot less time consuming for me to do this at home instead of spending over 2 hours in the salon.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 12:46:00 PM More reviews by kmaness930

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

First time ever with box dye. After about an hour of research and tutorials, I went with this one. I did a strand test first. I liked the color and went through with the process.... My advice: DON'T CHICKEN OUT. i only pulled half my hair through the cap, used half the mixture, and waited half the time. i got a little difference (picture) nothing major. I will repurchase and try again in a few weeks (and not half do it.)

TIPS: -buy a metal pick, the plastic one seems to flimsy. -Maybe even another cap (like reviews below say. I purchased the Conair Cap for Long Hair - Ponytail Style.)
-Buy a brush (Sally's, less than a $1 - reusable) the spatula doesn't really cover the hair.
-Check your box before you leave the store - I purchased two, each were missing the gloves and over cap.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBug31

I am very impressed with this product. I have used it three times now and after each use my hair has wonderful subtle golden highlights. I was hesitant to try this at first because every time I have dyed my hair lighter at home it has turned a weird orange color, but with this product that doesn't happen.