July 31, 2014 | 2120 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by suznyc

I had high hopes for this product. Especially after reading all the reviews. My hair is a disaster. I've ended up with bright blonde on the ends and still have my dark roots - just with a few blonde streaks in them. I am really disappointed. I guess I will go get some single process color tomorrow and change it all and wait 'til I can afford to pay a professional again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2011 8:19:00 PM More reviews by 8788xo

I was literally jumping up and down when I saw the results of this kit. I've dyed my hair multiple times.. mostly dark colors. I went to salons wanting to lift the color. I was charged between $100-200 each time, and haven't had the result I did with this product. It lightened my hair! It's a light brown/golden chestnutty color (since I accidently lightened it all). Nonetheless... it didnt turn orange or yellow. It may not be perfect and it's a bit brassy (nothing worse than a salon has left me with) and that was too be expected with lightening dark hair. I'm really impressed as of right now.. I purchased the kit for $5.99! I'm glad I gave it a whirl.

Possible words of wisdom:
1. Doing this alone = probably not the best idea. The cap is a pain, but it's worth it... it's just easier to have someone else do it.

Also, I thought I read pull hair through every hole for "striking" results... it says every *circled* hole, OOPS. My friend pulled hair through every single hole... so it took 2 hours.. haha, but the result was still good! Just a bit tedious.

Also, this stuff smells suprisingly good! For $6, it is well worth the price! I still can't believe the results!

UPDATE (7/20/11), I've used this product two more times since my original review-- this product is well worth the money and the time, just make sure you follow the directions! and don't forget the strand test!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by geisen111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this highlighting kit. It's the only thing that has lightened my hair as much as I want it to and doesn't turn brassy. I have tried so many other highlights and none ever seem to look right. I have used this off and on for years, and depending on how long I leave it on, have achieved results from subtle honey highlights (now) to heavier lighter blond highlights.

I always thought it would be better to try a stylist, however, I went to a stylist who was supposedly a specialist in color and she fried my hair. I mean totally fried. I started with very healthy hair. (I planned to do it, so I grew all the old color out and had it cut off). She left me under the dryer for at least an hour, and decided (since she was running behind) that it looked GREAT!! and didn't need a toner. However, literally when she was blowing my hair out, there were tiny broken pieces of hair falling all over my lap. It was a disaster and I was so disappointed. Needless to say, I decided if anyone was going to screw up my hair I could do it at home myself for a lot cheaper.

And this product has never really disappointed me. The cap makes it really easy to get precise highlights even if you are not an expert. It is a great product to use if your hair is darker. Definitely go for the honey. It works great for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2011 11:56:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have done home hair color and highlights many times but, I had stuck with the salon fo rthe past few years. Unfortunately, my colorist left and she did perfect highlights on me. My new stylist does fabulous cuts but I was never completely happy with the way she did color. So, here I am back with home highlights.

I bought the honey shade for medium to dark brown hair. I have light/med brown hair but it is leaning a little more toward medium (having a baby recently seemed to have darkened it a bit). The color on the box was a nice blonde that isn't too cool or warm. I decided to do a strand test and am so glad I did! The developer in this kit is nowhere near as strong as it needs to be. I left the mixture on my hair for 50 minutes and got a very warm, somewhat brassy dark blonde. I didn't bother doing the rest of my hair. I looked on the box and online but I could not find what level the developer is in the kit. It didn't even lift my hair as much as a 20 developer does.

This kit is a bit expensive considering it is a small amount of lightening powder and developer. You can buy these separately at Sally's for a better deal. The cap and gloves are not very good quality and they give you 2 tiny packets of shampoo/conditioner.

If you still want to try this kit, go to Sally's and buy a cap that is more fitted because it makes it easier to pull the hair through the holes and prevents color from bleeding at the roots.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 9:36:00 AM More reviews by rcfortune

I just used this last night and had great results. I have naturally dark brown hair that is colored (it is VERY dark right now). I wanted thin, highlights to break up the darkness a bit and was able to achieve that with this product. I pulled the majority through myself but had my mom pull the back. It took about 30 minutes to process on my hair and the highlights came out exactly like the back of the box. Super easy and very cheap- $4 at the Big Lots here! I will be doing this again..

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2011 3:29:00 AM More reviews by butterflygirl26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this product!!!! Super cheap, Smells great and gave me the exact color I wanted! No Orange or Brassy hair. I used the Revlon Platinum Blonde Highlighting Kit. I pulled my hair through every circled hole on the cap, I have long hair so this took me about 2 hrs. Put the highlighting mix on my hair and left it on for an hour and the color turned out perfect. I rinsed my hair out and then followed with the After Color Shampoo and Conditioner. Another plus to this kit too is that you can use it on color treated hair, which I love because I just dyed my hair a dark brown about 4 months ago and the color of the highlights still came out perfect! I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is thinking of highlighting their hair, I will definitely buy this product again :) Thanks Revlon!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 12:52:00 AM More reviews by jwaters36

This is my second time using this product and I love it! The first time I used to I had natural medium blonde hair, and it game my hair that perfect summer glow I was looking for! This time, my hair was dyed a very light golden brown. I wanted my hair back blonde, but I wanted to do it gradually - and start with highlights/frosting. So, I bought this kit after reading many review on this site and also using my previous experience. It actually ended up bleaching most of my hair back to blonde...I was shocked but happy!

I didn't have any trouble with the plastic pick like some other people mentioned. It does take a while to pull all of the hair through the cap, but with someone helping it's easier. I think I pulled a little too much hair through, so just be careful with that! I pulled hair only through the dark circles, I just think I pulled too big of pieces through.

Overall, I LOVE this product and I would definitely recommend it! I will use it again!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by x5x5x5x5x5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It was with much trepidation that I purchased this product to use this afternoon. I read dozens of reviews (thank heavens for MUA!) and decided to take the plunge. Wow. I am so impressed. My highlights look salon quality without a doubt! I have very dark brown hair and lots of gray. I have been using a dark chocolate brown Loreal color to cover the gray for ages so I was a bit worried about the outcome of the highlight kit. It was foolproof! I used the one for dark brown hair and only pulled about half of the cap. I used the cap and hook from the original package - it worked okay but I think I will purchase a better hook / cap from Sally's. In any case, I did it alone - took bunches of hair at a time (I was in a hurry) - I don't know, probably 20 strands at a time (as much as the hook would comfortably grab). I spent about 25 - 30 minutes pulling the hair through (haphazardly!). I then mixed only half of the solution and left it one for about 30-35 minutes. Fabulous warm highlights!! They are definitely warm (read red-ish) but it's golden and beautiful. I think if I had left it on longer it might have looked a bit streaky. I am so excited to have found this product!! I intend to continue to highlight often so that eventually I will move up to the lighter highlight kit. EASY AND CHEAP!!!! Love it!

UPDATE: One month later - I've used the product for med to dark brown hair twice. The second time I left it on for approximately 45 - 50 minutes. Gorgeous color again. Well, today - I stepped up to the kit for blonde hair. I pulled about the same amount of hair as before. (Incidentally, I purchased the cap and metal hook from Sally's but ended up using the cap that came with the product b/c I didn't like the acrylic cap. I did use the metal hook which worked better than the plastic one that came with the kit.) I slathered the bleach on and chickened out after 15 minutes. As it turns out, my highlights are still very pretty - much like if I had used the kit for brown hair and left it on the full time. I wish I had left the product on for maybe 10 more minutes to get a more striking effect BUT my hair looks great. The highlights are definitely warm so if you are looking for a cool blonde and have medium brown hair - make sure to keep it on much longer than I did! Anyway, 3 time user and I plan on using this forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2011 12:26:00 PM More reviews by cherryvanilla

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

once you do your own highlights at your convenience the way you want them you simply cannot believe anyone would sit in a salon and pay that kind of money. This is simply a service and no talent is required...the slower you pull the hair through the cap the better result you have...so I always do it at night watching tv. There is absolutely no reason to stand in front of a mirror. It is easy enough to feel where the next hole is and pull the hair slowly through. Pulling too fast you get tangles and patches and ugly things. an important tip: tie that cap as tight as you can stand it. Loose cap will not do a good job....You can buy different toners in the beauty supply store and create your own looks.....you can even erase the highlights with a dark toner if you feel like it.

This is an amazing product and never fails. Having a highlighting party is also a great thing to do, rent some movies and pull pull pull.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by jboise2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love, love, LOVE, this product!! I flat out refuse to spend $150-200 on highlights at a salon, especially considering how often I change my haircolor. I went brown for the winter, and have found that my hair hates me less if I slowly return to blonde rather than all of a sudden soo I do afew rounds of highlighting.

I used the Revlon Frost and Glow Honey colored kit first, which didn't lead to much blonde because my hair, like I said, was brown. Afew weeks later, I used the kit one shade lighter for Blonde to Light Brown hair (model has short hair on the box) and it did the trick!! I would highly recommend this approach of using 2 kits to get lighter colors -- and since each one only costs like $7 at Walmart (at least in Illinois) it's still an Awesome bargain compared to salons.

Yes, it is time consuming. I spend at Least an hour pulling the hair through the cap. I do every circled hole over my whole head, and sometimes do a couple of the other holes in the face-framing and crown area. Be sure to style your hair as normal, but also beware of how the cap goes on. For me, I part my hair kind of deep to the side and have a small head, so on the cap the white seam runs basically right where my part is, so I turned the cap alittle on my head (not comfy, but doable) so there's no weird spots that didn't get highlights right along my part line. I also find it's best to have hair fall behind your ears (but not tucked behind, just like if you lean back and your hair naturally falls) so it's easier to get to the root to pull through (you don't want just the ends colored, of course), and I usually stop afew rows from the bottom because, again, you want the entire hair strand to pull through and it's hard to get down to the root.

Only pull afew hairs if you don't want streaky highlights..I mean like, 10 strands max. It's not much. At first I would put the hook in and kind of turn it before pulling it through but that brings out alot of hair...so now I just put the hook in and basically pull it right back out. Hard to explain, but you can try out the technique on afew holes in the front and just slide the wand underneath the cap if you pull too many and try again.

Also, be sure to leave the color on the whole time (60 minutes) if you really do want big results..if you have brassy hair naturally, it will be brassy if you rinse out too soon. It says to check the strands every now and then but for me, the strands always look really yellow and gross until rinsed and blended with other hair so that's never been a good way to judge for me. To each his/her own!

So to wrap this lengthy review up, I highly recommend giving it a try if you're willing to put in the time. An hour(ish) to pull, and an hour of processing the color once it's on. In my experience it's always been worth it!

Oh, and I saw that Revlon just made an even lighter shade of these highlighting kits for like, platinum blonde, so with 3 kits, you could go from medium brown like I was, to literally Playboy Bunny kind of blonde for the most part all over. And it'd be like $20!! Glorious :)

Good luck!