MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush

4.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

A lot of people have raved about this brush on Youtube, gurus and MU artists alike! That is probably one of the sole reasons why I went out and bought this brush, but it was so heavily priced that my conscience kept refraining me from doing so until I had $30 in my wallet. It is obnoxiously priced, which is probably why MU Artist all recommend this because everyone knows for a fact that they can all afford this kind of luxury! LOL I'm not going to bust out and say that this is the best blending brush ever because I think the one from Coastal Scents is a lot better for its price, but I can say that it does its job pretty decently. You do have to wash this brush a couple of times to get rid of its "stiffness", but once the problem is gone, the brush just works its magic blending out colors and such. However, one comes across this question a lot: Will I buy this again? And my answer is a definite no because in my opinion, that 30 bucks is a lot better saved than spent! However, If it wasn't for that price, I would say GET IT because it's a reliable blending brush to have in your collection.

I didn't know what real blending was until I owned this brush. It literally does the work for you! You just keep moving the brush back and forth and you end up with amazingly blended eyes! This is HG for me.

The Sigma dupe just doesn't compare to the MAC brush. I had the Sigma SS224 and disliked it so much I almost didn't get the MAC. But so many people recommended the 224 I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. (I do however LOVE the Sigma SS217). =)

on 5/20/2010 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i have to say this brush is a bit scratchy. its not the best of what i would expect from mac brushes. i've used it in the crease and it doesnt give good results at all. the 217 is much better for the crease than this and much softer. it is great for buffing out harsh lines and transitioning from crease to brow bone but it is definitely not a good crease brush. i would highly recommend the 217 over this. hands down.

on 5/16/2010 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This brush is a bit too fluffy for my taste. It's not a complete loss though because this brush works like a dream when blending out harsh lines. Personally, knowing what i know now i would go for the 217 or a 226 instead.

This is a great brush for blending eyeshadow! I use it to blend the crease color. It's lightweight, fluffy, and soft. It's a good one to have, especially if you are just looking to build a basic brush collection.

on 5/2/2010 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

If you're looking for a soft, great, everyday eyeshadow brush, this is what you should grab! The colors will look so airbrushed, and you will have no harsh lines.

This was my first MAC brush purchase, and I'm glad I got this first!

NOTES:
-can be used to apply color
-can be used solely to blend out colors already applied on lid
-currently $28 USD

on 5/1/2010 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This is a nice multi-purpose brush. I use it for blending and for applying MAC Studio Fix concealer. I have tried blending brushes by Smashbox, L'Oreal, and Revlon. So far the 224 is the best!

on 4/20/2010 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My favourite brush for blending or all over lid shadow!
It's big enough to cover the entire lid area effortlessly and it's tapered end makes it a perfect brush for blending out any harsh lines in the crease area or just anywhere in general!
I find that this is one of the few brushes that I reach for on a daily basis!

on 4/19/2010 4:59:00 PM

I'm surprised when I read others who say that this brush is soft. It is *not* soft at all. It's prickly and feels like it's made of cheap fibers. It's far too fluffy for blending - I actually prefer my no-name brand blending brush to this one. MAC-wise, I prefer the 222 and 217. Way over-priced and over-hyped. :( I now use this to lightly fluff on powder over my BB cream. Even though I've found a way to put this to use, I still don't like it very much and wouldn't recommend it. Go to your MAC counter and touch the sample bristles - you'll notice right away the prickly & un-eveness compared to MAC's other brushes.

on 4/18/2010 3:27:00 AM

This brush is great - I use it to get a really great contour, or even to just put a wash of colour on my eyes before I run out the door. Also, great blending brush!

However, when I am washing it the bristles tend to go a bit crazy but I think I'll just have to be more careful and/or buy those brush guards.