September 21, 2014 | 1830 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by beeeez

Okay, so I finally bought this damn foundation after all the hype about it. I've always looked at it at Sephora, but the shades were too pink. BUTTTTTTT NOWWWWWWWW.....they have NEW SHADES with yellow tones!!! YAY!!!! So I went and bought it after finding a yellow shade that matches me. I have it in Cashew right now. Once I'm really tanned again, I can see myself wearing Honey Bronze. I've been wearing it for a few weeks now and I must say I quite like it. This is good for oily skin types, but when I sometimes have little dry patches, it actually hides them pretty well. Medium coverage in my opinion, but def can build it up to full. It doesnt dry SUPER quick as some people say, but quick enough that it won't move (hence the "Stay in place" name). And it actually does stay in place. when you touch your face it doesnt smudge or go anywhere. BUT when you do wash your face at night, I suggest make-up wipes first and then at the end, you might want to scrub or use toner after because that stuff does not come off completely with just face wash. I normally use make-up remover cleanser and THEN acne face wash for this.
    _________________________________________

UPDATE - JUNE 25TH, 2013:

Okay soo....I was trying to figure out what was breaking me out and I realized this breaks me out everytime I wear it haha. But the break out wasn't that bad. Just from fairly clear smooth skin to maybe 5 new little pimples throughout the whole face. I will probably still wear it from time because I this foundation is still really good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by suliana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

BEST FOUNDATION EVER! Considering that this foundation has been around for so long, it is little wonder that it's exceptionally good. I wish I had tried this years ago. Over the years, I've read some reviews about it being thick, cakey and prone to causing break outs and that deterred me from trying this gem.

I'm so glad that I finally tried this! I was looking for a foundation that lasts yet looks natural. This is definitely my HG! Previously, my HG was Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation in 2.5 Warm Sand. BB's Skin is sheer yet covers well, is buildable, looks natural and lasts really long too. ELDW lasts much, much longer and is a better colour match. Bobbi's foundations are mostly yellow-based, and so can look very yellowish (and almost unnatural as a result)! Thus, as with any foundation, getting the right match is important.

Like many reviewers have mentioned, ELDW is similar to Revlon Colorstay, for which my best match is Nude. But my skin looks dull at the end of the day when I use CS, and it gets a little cakey in some areas. I've also used many different foundations ranging from high end ones to drug store favourites. ELDW beats them all! I've also used ELDW Light in Intensity 2.0. It's a pain to find the right shade in ELDW Light. I feel that the difference in terms of coverage is minimal. It's better to just get the ELDW, which has many shades to choose from. I also found the ELDW Light stickier and doesn't set as well.

Revlon Colorstay broke me out. I didn't realize it and blamed the break outs on hormonal changes. I always wash my face thoroughly, so I didn't think Revlon CS was causing the bumps and blemishes. I stopped using it and after a while, my skin cleared. I'm also using Estee Lauder Advanced Night Recovery. It's my HG serum, and it helped with healing the bumps and blemishes. I would never use Revlon CS ever again! CS also smells like paint! I can handle the smell and it fades after a short while, but it really smells cheap and paint-like. There's no noticeable scent/smell in ELDW.

I've tried using a paddle brush (MAC 190, Estee Lauder foundation and BB foundation ), stippling brush (MAC Duo Fiber), make-up wedges and my fingers. Using a brush and ANY sponge actually wastes a lot of product. A duo fiber gives an airbrushed look while a normal foundation brush such as MAC 190 gives excellent coverage and makes for quick application. I prefer using my finger so there is less wastage and I can adjust the coverage; extra dabs on areas which need more coverage and less foundation on areas which don't. ELDW covers my dark circles really well, and I don't need to use a concealer. Doesn't settle on fine lines and stays put all day and all night. Coverage is medium to full and buildable. It sets pretty fast but is easy to work with. I don't need a loose powder to set this awesome foundation. It looks perfect, flawless and matte. After about an hour, I notice that it looks less matte, but that helps to make it look even more natural! Amazing!

I'm amazed at its ability to cover redness. My skin looks flawless and natural. I believe less is more, so those who find ELDW cakey and thick might actually be using too much. I shake the bottle before every use and use only what's on the bottom of the screw cap. That's more than enough for my entire face. I would have preferred a pump but since I'm using the foundation from the bottom of the screw cap, it's really not an issue. I don't find it troublesome or messy. The bottle feels heavy and luxurious with a lovely matte finish that I adore! I also have the Double Wear concealer in Light Medium, which I got from a gift set. I rarely use it because ELDW gives excellent coverage. I just dab a little more on areas which require extra coverage. It just blends in seamlessly without looking cakey.

I was matched to Tawny on my first try. The MA must have been color blind because it made me look like I had just gotten an instant tan! Found it way too dark and it also made me look dull. Then I was matched to a new shade (2W1 Dawn). It was a good match, but didn't feel perfect. There was still a slight dullness to it. So I tried 1W2 Sand... PERFECT match! Looks flawless, fresh, bright and absolutely lovely...!

For reference, I'm NC25-30 in MAC and I've found good matches in Bobbi Brown Skin in 2.5 Warm Sand, Bobbi Brown Natural Finish in 2 Sand and Revlon CS (which I will not use ever again) in 200 Nude. The other foundations I've used are not worth mentioning because the shades aren't such perfect matches.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2012 10:30:00 AM More reviews by LidiaFerlina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

> The Coverage is Medium to Full. But more Full Coverage. Best!!!!!
    > It Blends very Well!
    > Doesn't look heavy at all
    > For Oily skin, I recommend this to you. I have combination skin
    > SPF 10
    > Stay 12-15 hours.
    > This Foundation doesn't break me out. (happy...yippy)
    > So many shade's color. So you don't have to worry about the shade the best for you.
    > I don't like the packaging. So old stuffs. Please Estee Lauder come with pump packaging.
    > To remove this amount of foundation, you have to make sure to clean your face with milk cleansing or removing cleanser. Wash your face with facial wash only IS NOT enough since it very stay longer than other foundation.
    > Pricey? Not really, because I found that this products is must have item for me.
    > Totally purchase it again ^^

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by LadyxBec

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

In summary - when used correctly this is amazing, a little pricey but worth it.

The GOOD: I have extremely oily skin and this actually keeps it from getting nearly as greasy. When I do get oil, it comes through the DW and can be easily blotted off, leaving my foundation perfectly in place and making powder unnecessary. It lasts as long as it claims - at the end of a 15 hour day all I have is a little fading, not patchyness or anything. It dries completely in about 5 minutes, leaving your skin feeling like there is nothing there. For daily wear, I use it on it's own - no primer or powder and get a solid 12-15 hours wear. It does not break me out when removed fully.

The BAD: I hate the packaging, it is wasteful and useless. A pump would help, but a plastic tube like DW light would be best. If I do not remove it fully it does give me breakouts - I recomend a makeup remover containing oil followed by cleanser.

Overall I would re-buy, this is by far the best foundation I have ever used (and I have tried a lot - 30+). I just really dislike the packaging!
    I would give it 4.5 for packaging and price, but there is no option so I rounded up :)
    EDIT: Please read my review on the new formula (listed under double wear 2012 new formula) - it is not nearly as good an no longer HG :(

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 6:28:00 AM More reviews by alleycats3003

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The packaging is so extremely gorgeous. Wish it had a pump though. Very heavy coverage, without feeling too heavy and cakey. Literally does not budge - lasts on my skin for more than 12h and does not transfer at all, which is amazing considering how oily my skin gets and how humid it is here.The only problem is that I think I got the wrong shade so I pretty much can't use this as a foundation. In order to not waste the product, I use it as a concealer on very dark marks/acne. Be careful to use a good makeup remover with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 7:00:00 PM More reviews by justpoppedup1

I usually write, full whole hearted reviews but I'm a little sleepy... I only checked to see if this foundation was still donning out the rest on makeupalley, as it should be. It is by far the best foundation ever.. too heavy for day time, you look a bit too made up. I can't really explain, you just look so perfect. Even if you've been out like 9 days in a row. I had to stop using this for a while, though. I think someone mentioned it bellow; you start looking so nice you get a bit scared of people not seeing you look so nice. It's honestly addictive. I use it for special occasions now. The amount of compliments you receive is a bit astonishing... Cannot be taken to heart though as I am clearly not as fit as the foundation makes me. Doesn't break me out, but I'm on antibiotics and skin creams for acne so not much will. Finally, the more I used it the more I realised the staying power isn't that excellent, though still probably one of/the best out there. I have oily skin and I've yet to find anything that looks 'as perfect at 10pm as when I put on in the morning!!' to quote luckier women in more enthusiastic reviews. Anyway, buy it if you have the cash. It is amazing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Ladymgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am thrilled with this product. I first bought it a in the beginning of the year after reading rave reviews here. At first I wasn't really applying it quite right. Well i was applying it heavily and I was happy with it but wishing it was a little lighter in texture. After watching some application tutorials for this make up on Youtube, I found the perfect application technique. First, Kiss my face sunscreen, then a light coat of name brand Milk of Magnesia(yes it does make a difference, the generic one is different).....then, I use the small stippling brush MAC 130 and apply it in small clockwise and counter clock wise circle pattern using just a small amount of product. I then set it with the Merle Norman Luxiva ultra powder foundation dry for a flawless, large pore hiding, smooth finish. And trust!! I have acne scars, large pores, beginning of wrinkles etc. and this is the best finish I have ever achieved and I have tried so many foundations. From Chanel, la Mer, Make up Forever, urban decay minerals, mac studio fix, smashbox halo......

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by SarinaT

So whilst I was in the search for the 'ultimate' foundation I was recommended this. At first I liked the coverage but it looked a bit cakey on my skin and clung to my dry patches by the end of the day (just to add) I was applying it with a Mac 190 brush. I then tried it with a Mac 107 Duo fibre brush and it made a huge difference for me I absolutely could not live with out it, I start at the bottom of my cheek and work my way around the face constantly blending as it dries fairly quickly but its not a problem, I definitely wouldn't recommend dotting it on your face and then blending if you work your way round it sits beautifully. I then spray Urban Decays "Dew Me" moisturising makeup setting spray (just a little and then use the same brush just to massage it in to my foundation) to ensure i get that dewy finish. I now cant live without this foundation.

I just wish it came in a pump so i dont feel like im wasting the foundation, but even though its in a glass bottle i carry it around with me and it hasn't broken on me yet (fingers crossed). I know it can be a bit pricy but i only use a bit (on a daily basis) and it has lasted me about 3 months.

I have normal/dry skin and my shade is Tawny

EDIT - So I've had to reduce the rating slightly because i feel that this foundation has began to dry me out and oxidises horribly, saying this i have recently changed my face routine so if this is the cause of the dryness I will edit this review. In terms of colour i have left tawny (3W1) and made the large leap to Desert Beige (2N1) which is perfect. I suggest when buying this foundation to go a shade lighter because once it settles i find it does oxidise and and once you've added your blush/bronzer, contoured etc your face does appear even darker so the lighter shade in a sense balances it out. I still really do like the foundation it still gives me beautiful coverage but i think its really important to find the best way to prep your skin and trial and error with the colours.

FYI im nc25/nw25 in Mac, im quite fair with slightly more yellow undertones, dark circles and redness on my nose and cheeks (i know this does not sound pretty but this foundation does cover this and evens out my skin tone which is most important to me)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by turnbr08

I purchased this product because of all the great reviews it has recieved so many people say they love this foundation! ugh I dislike it so much - yes it makes your face the same colour and stays on all day - but it does not give a flawless look to the face. It clings to any dry patches (even though I don't really have any dry patches) and also does not sit nicely on top of pores - it almost sits around them or something weird- It doesn't make your skin look smooth and flawless and even though it is "full coverage" I get a more flawless finish from my BB cream. Maybe my skin is not oily enough to use this product but I definately don't have dry skin it is more oily/combination.

My skin also looks so dull the next day after using this foundation I almost look grey. I will not be repurchasing this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Tracey273

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have tried many foundations and just cannot seem to find the 'right' one, until this one. I was skeptical as reviews have been good and bad. This is perfect for me. I love the coverage and color is a good match. I put on with a foundation brush and this goes on light and smooth. Yes, you have to work fairly quickly but this is no problem. The only negative I would have is the packaging. As others have stated, a pump would be so much better. I have been using for a couple of weeks now and will definitely repurchase.