July 23, 2014 | 1205 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2007 10:19:00 AM More reviews by duraira

This product has been great for me. I have a very oily t-zone and the primer has completely degreased those areas. It is a good idea to apply moisturizer before using the primer. I have gotten compliments from people who used to tell me my face looked too oily. Now, they say my face looks fresh and they have no idea why!
Again I don't think this product will work for all skins, but it has certainly made mine look better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2007 12:06:00 AM More reviews by mdlvsmakeup

I loved this product when I tried the sample, I read all the reviews and decided to purchase it, I like using this in areas where I need it, like deeper pore areas, this really adds to a flawless look!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2007 11:13:00 AM More reviews by emdjje

Girls ... stop putting the product directly on your skin! You need to use a moisturizer first (even if you're oily, use a light moisturizer w/ SPF) and allow it to soak in a few minutes and then apply the Velvet Skin Coat. I have oily skin and spent many years thinking "no moisture" (and therefore no spf) but i was wrong - trust me. Your skin needs hydration (and UV protection!) and my guess is the reason i have experienced no breakouts (and wonderful results) with this product is because I use that first. i would think that the silicone directly onto the skin might not be good. I don't think it is meant to be used that way. Since I began using this product, i have received many compliments on my skin (never before!). I am 41 and I've tried it all. This is a great product and the best of any primers I've tried (Laura Mercier, Paula Dorf and others). I love the Clarins oil free moisturizer w/ SPF 30 and then Velvet Skin Coat followed by Prescriptives Virtual Skin foundation. I'm really serious about the SPF - I am having to do lots of things to correct sun damage now and not from sun-worshipping - just from living life (and driving!) without SPF. You'll hit 40 and all kinds of strange spots will appear - use your SPF,girls!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2007 6:46:00 AM More reviews by masaya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried samples of this, and I loved how my foundation goes on on top of this. It doesn't really even out my skin tone or anything, but it controls the oil on my face. Of course, using other products appropriate for my skin type helps. Still no matter what I put on top of this, whether it's just a powder or mineral MU or liquid foundation, it goes on much easily and stays on longer compared to other primer I tried. I have to blot like every 2-4 hours when I'm just using everyday minerals in semi-matte. When I add DHC to the routine, I probably just need to blot once the whole day. The only reason I haven't bought this one is the price. $20 for half an ounce! My shiseido's the makeup premakeup is $27 for an ounce. Works pretty well but I kind of like DHC a little bit more. I'll probably buy this once i use up the shiseido. For reference I have very oily skin. EDIT: I like this more than shiseido's premakeup in controlling the oil and preventing my makeup slipping off. It's just expensive so I'm gonna wait until my other primer is finished.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2007 11:48:00 PM More reviews by milktoast24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like other users, this makes me break out in little pimples on my forehead. However, this goes away if i use a serum underneath. I now know never to apply this on bare skin, because all silicones have this effect, not just DHC.

HOWEVER... it is still the best silicone mattifier/primer/pore diminisher out there on the market. I've tried all the other silicone based products (smashbox, clinique, EL, et al), and Japanese-grade silicone is high quality and under exacting DHC standards, you can see why. it's a whole lot thicker and more concentrated (less product to do the trick) and the effects are more visible than the other grades of silicone primers. When i apply this to my enlarged pores, they diminish instantly. With other brands, you need multiple coats or a thicker layer of product to do the trick.

am i a fan of silicone-based pore mattifiers/primers? not really. But if i had to choose one, it'd be DHC, hands down.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2007 1:52:00 PM More reviews by ninaruth

I dunno...I know this is one of their most popular products, but this just didn't work for me...it definitely made me break out with small pimples all over, especially my forehead...who knows why, maybe a sensitivity to one of the ingredients?!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2007 9:18:00 PM More reviews by keichan65

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using this and DHC's mild soap at the same time so I'm not sure which prodcut made me break out in little pimples all over my forehead which I'd never had before. I'm thinkin it was the velvet coat since it sits on my face all day and it don't think my pores could breathe. I'm going to try the Clinique pore minimizer instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2007 5:56:00 PM More reviews by glamguru

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great product. I am very skeptical of new products and was prepared to put some on, look in the mirror and say... "nah." Well, velvet skin coat certainly lived up to all the rave reviews quoted in the DHC product catalog. I very lightly pat on a thin dab wherever my skin looks a bit dry and voila... smooth pretty. Sets makeup, minimizes my little under-eye wrinkles and helps reduce any flakiness along jaw line. Because of the high price I tried some lower price alternatives like l'oreal velvet skin lotion, but can't find any product that comes close to working as well as DHC velvet skin coat. Rating: 5 entusiastic lipsticks up.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2007 8:26:00 PM More reviews by 810vinest

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this via a sample from DHC; I really didn't care for it at all. It just didn't have the effect on my skin I was expecting. A little goes a long ways too which can be a plus.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2007 1:30:00 PM More reviews by madismom98

I received a sample of this primer with my last order from DHC (I use their Cleansing Oil) and tried it immediately. I have 40-year old combo skin with a somewhat oily t-zone, and large pores on cheeks and nose. My main reason for trying the sample was to help minimize my pores and have my skin appear more even. After applying the velvet skin coat, I loved the texture of my skin and it felt really soft. It did feel a little heavy to me and I wondered if my skin was going to be able to breathe with it on. I use mineral makeup and I noticed that by the end of the day my makeup was just sitting on top of my skin and seemed to be sliding around, so I had to re-powder several times during the day. By the end of the 5th or 6th day I noticed that my skin was acting finicky and I had some new outbreaks -- but the pimples were under my skin, not on top. So I gave the primer a break and went back to my normal routine of philosophy hope in a jar followed by my mineral makeup. As I am a faithful MUA board watcher, I kept seeing wonderful reviews for this, so I decided to give it another try. Regrettably my skin got continually worse using this and I had to stop using it as my face was covered in little bumps right under the surface of my skin. The only thing that I can attribute the bumps to is the velvet skin coat -- I guess it is too heavy for me (the silicon I would imagine), and my skin was rejecting it. I now am on a quest to clear my skin back up and get rid of these nasty little bumps!