DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

on 7/1/2007 2:30:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Okay, well I cannot believe how poorly this performed for me. I use a primer every single day under my foundation, liquid or powder. I expect my primer to help with m/u application not make it worse. This grabbed on to my foundation and left me a cakey, blotchy mess. I had to wipe it all off and start over. And it did nothing to help with pore size. VSC reminds me, not fondly, of Smashbox. Slippery and greasy. CdP, Clinique and PL Eraser in what red? are sooo much better. Hands down, the worst primer I have ever used. If this is going to be your foray into primers, try others first!

on 6/24/2007 3:42:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Velvet Skin Coat was my first foray into the world of primers and let me just say, I was impressed. As the website describes, it is a powdery gel texture that smooths easily over your moisturizer, mattifies shine/oil, and makes your foundation last all day. My t-zone, particularly around the nose, is quite grateful. I didn't personally experience any breakouts on my normal-combo skin, but I am not particularly acne-prone. It's also one of those "you only need a little bit" products, so it should last longer than the small tube looks like it will. Still, 1/2 an ounce for $20? I'm still debating the size and price vs. its effectiveness--I can't make up my mind.

on 6/23/2007 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I first tried this as a free sample in a catalog I got in the mail. I was not familiar with DHC products. I followed the instructions and applied it after cleansing and moisturizing. I'm alway skeptical when trying new products, but the glowing reviews I have since read are true. I received wonderful results. My foundation applied much more smoothly and lasted all day. I just ordered my second tube. Yes, $20 is pricey for the small tube. But you truly do not need to apply any more than two drops for each application. It will last. My dry skin looks much smoother. You can request a free sample. This is my newest favorite and DHC has a new customer for life!

on 6/10/2007 5:24:00 PM

I have oily, acne-prone skin and use Estee Lauder foundation. Before I bought this primer I would leave work at 5 and feel like my makeup had slid off my face - embarrassed to go out before I had a chance to go home and reapply. But this stuff keeps it on! I still get shiny, but I'm not afraid to check the rearview mirror at the end of the day. If I didn't love it under foundation though I'm not sure it does a whole lot by itself - haven't noticed a big difference in it smoothing/softening my skin. Expensive stuff, but I've had my tube for months and that's with pretty much daily use. I'm getting ready to purchase again.

on 5/20/2007 10:19:00 AM

This product has been great for me. I have a very oily t-zone and the primer has completely degreased those areas. It is a good idea to apply moisturizer before using the primer. I have gotten compliments from people who used to tell me my face looked too oily. Now, they say my face looks fresh and they have no idea why!
Again I don't think this product will work for all skins, but it has certainly made mine look better.

on 5/20/2007 12:06:00 AM

I loved this product when I tried the sample, I read all the reviews and decided to purchase it, I like using this in areas where I need it, like deeper pore areas, this really adds to a flawless look!

on 5/18/2007 11:13:00 AM

Girls ... stop putting the product directly on your skin! You need to use a moisturizer first (even if you're oily, use a light moisturizer w/ SPF) and allow it to soak in a few minutes and then apply the Velvet Skin Coat. I have oily skin and spent many years thinking "no moisture" (and therefore no spf) but i was wrong - trust me. Your skin needs hydration (and UV protection!) and my guess is the reason i have experienced no breakouts (and wonderful results) with this product is because I use that first. i would think that the silicone directly onto the skin might not be good. I don't think it is meant to be used that way. Since I began using this product, i have received many compliments on my skin (never before!). I am 41 and I've tried it all. This is a great product and the best of any primers I've tried (Laura Mercier, Paula Dorf and others). I love the Clarins oil free moisturizer w/ SPF 30 and then Velvet Skin Coat followed by Prescriptives Virtual Skin foundation. I'm really serious about the SPF - I am having to do lots of things to correct sun damage now and not from sun-worshipping - just from living life (and driving!) without SPF. You'll hit 40 and all kinds of strange spots will appear - use your SPF,girls!

on 5/10/2007 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I tried samples of this, and I loved how my foundation goes on on top of this. It doesn't really even out my skin tone or anything, but it controls the oil on my face. Of course, using other products appropriate for my skin type helps. Still no matter what I put on top of this, whether it's just a powder or mineral MU or liquid foundation, it goes on much easily and stays on longer compared to other primer I tried. I have to blot like every 2-4 hours when I'm just using everyday minerals in semi-matte. When I add DHC to the routine, I probably just need to blot once the whole day. The only reason I haven't bought this one is the price. $20 for half an ounce! My shiseido's the makeup premakeup is $27 for an ounce. Works pretty well but I kind of like DHC a little bit more. I'll probably buy this once i use up the shiseido. For reference I have very oily skin. EDIT: I like this more than shiseido's premakeup in controlling the oil and preventing my makeup slipping off. It's just expensive so I'm gonna wait until my other primer is finished.

on 5/6/2007 11:48:00 PM

Like other users, this makes me break out in little pimples on my forehead. However, this goes away if i use a serum underneath. I now know never to apply this on bare skin, because all silicones have this effect, not just DHC.

HOWEVER... it is still the best silicone mattifier/primer/pore diminisher out there on the market. I've tried all the other silicone based products (smashbox, clinique, EL, et al), and Japanese-grade silicone is high quality and under exacting DHC standards, you can see why. it's a whole lot thicker and more concentrated (less product to do the trick) and the effects are more visible than the other grades of silicone primers. When i apply this to my enlarged pores, they diminish instantly. With other brands, you need multiple coats or a thicker layer of product to do the trick.

am i a fan of silicone-based pore mattifiers/primers? not really. But if i had to choose one, it'd be DHC, hands down.

on 4/25/2007 1:52:00 PM

I dunno...I know this is one of their most popular products, but this just didn't work for me...it definitely made me break out with small pimples all over, especially my forehead...who knows why, maybe a sensitivity to one of the ingredients?!

Popular Primer/ Correctors