Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was really happy with my first use of this product, I thought it went on well enough and it did give great shine and dried fast. So it gets a couple of points for delivering on that end. As far as protecting your manicure or preventing chipping? No go. I didn't find that it protected my nails any better than any other top coat. After giving it another try I found it to be a bit too thick and hard to apply and my nail polish just went gloppy. It states that you can apply to damp or dry nails, but if my nails were damp then it really ruined things. I think it's worth trying, but I won't be buying it again.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This is my standard top coat. It dries quickly and has a great brush.

My major complaint is that it doesn't protect manis ALL that well. I've definitely had manis chip on me w/in the first couple days.

This product is great. Works just as well or better than more expensive brands.

this product is great if you love your polish to chip.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This top coat dries really fast (the fastest I've ever come across) but it makes my nail polish start chipping within just a matter of hours! I'm normally able to get 5 days out of my polish without any chipping if I wrap the polish and top coat around the ends of my nails and underneath the tips initially and then do one top coat touch-up on about day 3, but with this it's literally chipping significantly within 2 or 3 hours. It's horrible! Also, it's the worst I've come across so far for smudging/smearing nail polish. My nail polish looks perfect until I swipe this across over it and it smears it around (also causing the top coat in the bottle to turn pink from the red polish). I would not recommend!
Update 05/11/2009: About 36 hours after I had done my nails with this top coat on top, I noticed all the heavily chipped ends of my polish were lifting off of my nails because of this stuff, and I was actually able to rip the polish off of each nail in one big chunk. This is probably the worst nail product I've ever come across! I think the problem with this product is that it likely contains a lot of alcohol (which causes it to dry so quickly) so it dries out your nail polish underneath and makes it really brittle, causing it to chip and lift up off of your nails because it's so dried out. This is my theory, seeing as how the quick drying products tend to usually chip the worst.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the ultimate in smooth shine. Unfortunately, it chips horrendously and unless it's used on its own, has horrible lasting power.

But I am such a sucer for shine, and this is the best I've encountered for that, so.... will most likely repurchase.

This makes any botched polish job look wonderful. I'm always messing my nails up and after a few swipes of mega shine my manicure looks perfect! It also dries faster than I expected. I use this a few days after a professional manicure to freshen up. Mega Shine's been a go-to for me for years.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ah ha! After reading many of the reviews, now I know what's wrong here.

I have used this top coat for 2 manicures - once over a Wet & Wild polish, once over a China Glaze. Both times - my nail color was coming off in chunks within 2-3 days. I see that others have complained of this.

I've used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails clear polish as a top coat in the past & had pretty good results, so I thought this stuff would work well.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

What I love about this:
It truly does give nails a high shine finish, which I love.
It also dries my nail polish so fast. Faster then any other quick dry top coat I've used. Other I've tried (even out the door) appear dry, but I still manage to nick them, or get nasty sheet marks if I paint before I go to bed. Last night I used this over wet nail polish, It was rock solid within a few minuets. I also like being able to freshen up a manicure or make my natural nails look shiny if I am in a hurry to go somewhere.

Disappointment:
It fails it's claims to help keep polish chip free. The next day I saw chipping.

Will I buy again?
Yes, because I do my nails so often, and being an on the go college student while being fully employed, I need something that is quick drying every now and then, but it wont be something I use for every manicure.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

really great for when you paint your nails one colour. if you do a french manicure it cause the color to bleed and you don't get the crisp white line.

i tend to paint my nails dark colors so the brush has dark paint all over it and the bottle is not longer clear. not really a problem since i almost always paint them dark but if you switch a lot between dark and light then you will definately since the tint on your nails.

has its limitations but makes nials ohhh so shinny