Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

on 5/10/2009 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This top coat dries really fast (the fastest I've ever come across) but it makes my nail polish start chipping within just a matter of hours! I'm normally able to get 5 days out of my polish without any chipping if I wrap the polish and top coat around the ends of my nails and underneath the tips initially and then do one top coat touch-up on about day 3, but with this it's literally chipping significantly within 2 or 3 hours. It's horrible! Also, it's the worst I've come across so far for smudging/smearing nail polish. My nail polish looks perfect until I swipe this across over it and it smears it around (also causing the top coat in the bottle to turn pink from the red polish). I would not recommend!
Update 05/11/2009: About 36 hours after I had done my nails with this top coat on top, I noticed all the heavily chipped ends of my polish were lifting off of my nails because of this stuff, and I was actually able to rip the polish off of each nail in one big chunk. This is probably the worst nail product I've ever come across! I think the problem with this product is that it likely contains a lot of alcohol (which causes it to dry so quickly) so it dries out your nail polish underneath and makes it really brittle, causing it to chip and lift up off of your nails because it's so dried out. This is my theory, seeing as how the quick drying products tend to usually chip the worst.

on 5/8/2009 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the ultimate in smooth shine. Unfortunately, it chips horrendously and unless it's used on its own, has horrible lasting power.

But I am such a sucer for shine, and this is the best I've encountered for that, so.... will most likely repurchase.

on 3/22/2009 9:52:00 AM

This makes any botched polish job look wonderful. I'm always messing my nails up and after a few swipes of mega shine my manicure looks perfect! It also dries faster than I expected. I use this a few days after a professional manicure to freshen up. Mega Shine's been a go-to for me for years.

on 3/11/2009 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ah ha! After reading many of the reviews, now I know what's wrong here.

I have used this top coat for 2 manicures - once over a Wet & Wild polish, once over a China Glaze. Both times - my nail color was coming off in chunks within 2-3 days. I see that others have complained of this.

I've used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails clear polish as a top coat in the past & had pretty good results, so I thought this stuff would work well.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

What I love about this:
It truly does give nails a high shine finish, which I love.
It also dries my nail polish so fast. Faster then any other quick dry top coat I've used. Other I've tried (even out the door) appear dry, but I still manage to nick them, or get nasty sheet marks if I paint before I go to bed. Last night I used this over wet nail polish, It was rock solid within a few minuets. I also like being able to freshen up a manicure or make my natural nails look shiny if I am in a hurry to go somewhere.

Disappointment:
It fails it's claims to help keep polish chip free. The next day I saw chipping.

Will I buy again?
Yes, because I do my nails so often, and being an on the go college student while being fully employed, I need something that is quick drying every now and then, but it wont be something I use for every manicure.

on 1/3/2009 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

really great for when you paint your nails one colour. if you do a french manicure it cause the color to bleed and you don't get the crisp white line.

i tend to paint my nails dark colors so the brush has dark paint all over it and the bottle is not longer clear. not really a problem since i almost always paint them dark but if you switch a lot between dark and light then you will definately since the tint on your nails.

has its limitations but makes nials ohhh so shinny

on 12/27/2008 12:46:00 AM

I like how this product dries quickly, and gives my nails a nice glossy sheen. It also helps to strengthen my nails a bit.

Overall, it's a good product which lives up to its name. The only problem I've had with it is that I tend to apply too much of it accidentally. You really have to swipe it on the inside of the opening of the bottle for a little while to drain the polish, because if not, little drips and drops of polish will drip down from the stem of the brush while you apply it. Applying too much of this will also cause the it to peel after it has dried.

The brush is also a little too long for my taste, making the application of the polish a little challenging for my shaky hands. You can try cutting off a portion of the brush.

Overall, this is a safe product to stick with. It does it's job well, and there's no major flaw. I can live with the packinging flaws, and I think I'll continue using this until I find a better product.

on 10/6/2008 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

i returned this after the first use... exchanged it with Revlon's clear top coat, which looks and works so much better.

God i hate this product... after i finished my white tips, i put a layer of this mega shine coat over... and it totally "melted" my white tips and streaked them over my nail... so now i have little lines coming out from my tips onto my bare nails. Looks hot.. not! horrible formula messes with the chemicals in the polish... don't buy, i think the packaging was what attracted me at first.

It did gives super shiny n glossy shine , dries under 60seconds, but it somehow made my nail polish peel off very soon after. I thought it's my nail color, but when i read about the reviews of some users, i'm afraid i have to agree... Of course, not all products will work for Everyone. u just gotta give it a try... :)

I think tis works great if u are in a hurry and not expecting yr nail color to last u days. it will do great as overnight top coat, definitely not if u want yr polish to last more than two days.

Go for the complete all in one if u keen to try any sally hansen product. It makes my nails last well and effect is similar to mega shine.

on 7/29/2008 8:18:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I've found that Sally Hansen stuff peels right off. The base coats peel right off clean, dry nails (literally 20 minutes later I had big pieces popping off) or on painted nails my color and top coat would pop off.
Terrible!