Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

3.4

Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Isoceteth-20, Citric Acid, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance

on 2/8/2010 6:58:00 PM

This spray smelled good and I wanted to love it because I love Bumble & Bumble, but I was disappointed. It didn't do anything that Sunsilk Waves of Envy spray cannot do and Sunsilk is much cheaper. I won't buy this again. But I love the Styling spray!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this product for my curly/wavy hair. I don't like the look of smooth, perfect, "pretty" hair...and this product give me beachy/bed-head/sexy hair. I use MOP curl defining cream and then diffuse my hair till it's dry and then spray the B&B Surf Spray into my hands and work it into my hair, and it takes away shine and gives my hair a rougher look which I love! The only thing that I don't like is the metal spray nozzle makes an annoying noise when I spray it. It is expensive for the amount you get, but I haven't found anything else that works as good. I'm almost out so i will be repurchasing another one soon.

on 1/11/2010 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a really good product for my fine hair. Adds body and volume, but I mostly use it in the summer when I like that messy feeling. I find that it works best on dry hair and I use it sparingly since my hair can get really greasy. I don't like the smell though, it's very weird but fades quickly. The rubber bottle is cool and easy to carry in your bag. I think the price is fair since it lasts for ages and really delivers great results. I'm on my second bottle and when I run out, I will try the Philip B. surf spray since it'll give me some more moisture, according to my stylist.

EDIT 5/21/2013:
I use both this and the Philip B spray at the moment, and while B&b delivers slightly more volume and hold (contains more sea salt) I think I prefer Philip B since it feels "safer" and less drying. But I do like to have this original surf spray on hand, as long as I don't use it too often.

on 11/20/2009 7:14:00 AM

had mixed feelings about the surf spray prior to getting it because of the reviews i saw over here. but decided to get it anyway since b+b products never failed me, and im glad i did.

i think the spray works best on second day hair, ive near shoulder length wavy hair, and i usually use it after prep. just spray from mid-length to ends (i skip roots because im not too keen on residue buildup on scalp), tousle and scrunge hair, leave it as it is and youre done!

it's easy, takes only 3 minutes of your time, and the breeze/ wind just makes it better, gives it the tousled look.

so if youre having an extremely bad hair day, and your hair isnt going the way you want it to, use the spray; the messier and unkempt the better!

on 11/15/2009 1:46:00 AM

For a long time this was the only styling product that I could use on my very, very fine hair. Even though my hair is so fine, I have a lot of it, and this spray gives it so much volume. It can also tend to be oily, and Surf Spray seems to make the oil less noticable. It is truly the HG of volumizing sprays for fine haired people. For years this was the only styling product that I could put in my hair. I have a very short pixie cut, and a wax is typically recommended to get shine and to get a messy look. I could not find a product to work with the Surf Spray, as they were all too heavy for me. I recently found Umi Foam which combines perfectly with Surf Spray.

on 9/6/2009 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This is my 1st review and I feel very strongly about this product. For me, it's a true HG. I have very fine hair, LOTS of it, "somewhat" graying, but there are waves under the top layer. After convincing my new stylist that I did have wavy hair, she cut it wonderfully and then sprayed this stuff on me and I couldn't believe the volume I got. I thought it was just a typical hairstylist trick of blowing dry in a manner I never could, but when I tried this at home without drying, my hair had bounce and shine. I still need a curling cream (I prefer the B&B mousse) to get the curls going, but this is great for a "Meg Ryan in French Kiss" type look.

There are two minor negatives: The first negative is that sometimes my head can itch in places so I guess there's some drying out going on from the salt, but I will definitely buy again and again as it is the ONLY thing that's worked on my hair (and I truly have tried hundreds of products).

The other negative is that it doesn't come with a protective cap but rather a sleeve that needs to be replaced to prevent the product from leaking out. Not thrilled about that.

Still, not enough to have me give this up

on 9/2/2009 11:22:00 AM

Yikes...Maybe I misinterpreted what this spray was supposed to do. I was so excited to use it thinking I would get sexy, beachy tousled waves but instead I ended up with dry, frizzy, stiff dull hair that felt heavy and dirty. This is a big NO for me..didnt like it at all.

on 8/28/2009 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It's too heavy for me to spray into my fine, frizzy, curly hair when I wear it curly, it just makes it so unbelievably kinky I can't handle iit. But it's great to spritz on your crown when blowing out your hair (just a little!) for volume and texture. Love it.

on 8/8/2009 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This just made my hair feel dirty and sticky. Couldn't wait to wash it out! This is definately not great for fine hair. Also, it was way overpriced!

on 8/6/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I first heard of this product from a magazine (Blake Lively apparently uses it) and I have always been in search of the perfect waves for my thick hair. This product is AMAAAZZING! i love it! I am absolutely hooked. It doesn't make hair greasy and brings out wonderful waves that last. I personally love the smell. It's a little strong at first but it ends up sinking into a light beachy smell. I would highly reccomend this for anyone looking for beachy waves. Yes, it's a little pricey but well worth every cent.

Top Rated Bumble & Bumble Products