Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

3.5

Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Isoceteth-20, Citric Acid, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance

on 8/6/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I first heard of this product from a magazine (Blake Lively apparently uses it) and I have always been in search of the perfect waves for my thick hair. This product is AMAAAZZING! i love it! I am absolutely hooked. It doesn't make hair greasy and brings out wonderful waves that last. I personally love the smell. It's a little strong at first but it ends up sinking into a light beachy smell. I would highly reccomend this for anyone looking for beachy waves. Yes, it's a little pricey but well worth every cent.

on 7/25/2009 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I am a fan of products that do what they advertise, and this product does what it advertises. I have used Sunsilk Waves of Envy and the old John Frieda Ocean Waves in the past, but this spray is more like a "true" salt spray. The others have that layer of oil or whatever floating on top, and I don't think this does. It's salt water / hairspray, and it does an awesome job holding the hair and creating volume. It leaves a matte finish, which took a while to get used to. I spray it on wet roots for texture or on my hands and scrunch for waves. It creates a perfect messy effect.

That said, It is bloody expensive. I bought it at a CCO for $14, which I found tolerable. It makes my hair feel dry when I use it, but doesn't seem to leave lasting damage. The packaging is cute and portable. The product itself smells kinda bad, but it's a mild smell. I don't use it all the time (messy hair is frowned-upon at my office), so yeah... It's a fun product for me; not especially practical, but fun to play with on weekends.

This is one product I repurchase time and time again. I have hair that is dead straight, fine in texture but lots of it, never holds a curl or volume of any kind....usually. This spray works for me where nothing else has. I tend to spray it into dry hair at night, twist my hair slightly and hold with snag free bands, sleep on it and lo, in the morning, great hair that still looks good at the end of a long day! Its also brilliant in that it gives my hair bulk and grip on days when I want to put it up. Really couldn't live without this stuff!

on 7/12/2009 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just love the packaging first of all. It looks so chic in the bathroom and reminds me of the beach. In fact, I bought another bottle the very next day because I didn't think the bottle wil last for more than 2 months. I seem to have to use a lot and still didn't seem to see the effect on my just-washed hair.

I don't think I should use it on squeaky-clean hair though. I still have faith in the product because it does make it feel less fine.

edit: now it is night time, and I LOVE my hair! I guess it takes a while to work. Love love love this product!

Would definitely recommend!

on 7/7/2009 12:49:00 AM

Yes, it is expensive but totally worth it if your hair is fine, thin, stick straight and slippery smooth. I got it from a new stylist that I went to since after she had finished, my hair had more volume and texture than it ever had before (my previous stylist also used B&B, but never this product). She said all she applied was a tiny bit of B&B Styling Creme and surf spray. I couldn't afford both so she told me buy the surf spray and then gave me a huge amount of styling creme sample packets (and coco creme poo/conditioner samples, love her). I don't use it every day (I'm a wash&air dry kind of girl, my hair is too easily damaged--and I'm too lazy--to handle anything else) but when I want volume and texture this is the only product that has ever delivered. I apply it to my hands and then scrunch it through my hair starting at the roots. Blow dry or air dry, the effect is noticeable either way. And as long as you don't use massive amount every day, it seems to last forever. I bought it in January (now July) and when I shake the bottle it feels like I haven't used any at all. Plus I seem to be able to go longer without washing my hair if I use this. Might be drying if you use it every single day and the smell reminds me vaguely of Nair but the smell isn't noticeable once it is in your hair and like I said before, this is the only volume/texture product I've tried that WORKS.

on 6/29/2009 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love this stuff! Bumble and Bumble has been having some awesome free shipping deals and their website also has recently been updated with how-to videos.

This spray can be used on wet or dry hair. It gives that 2nd day hair instantly. Lots of volume!

Also works great layered over Grooming Creme.

on 6/17/2009 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm pretty no-nonsense, shampoo-conditioner-finger dry kind of girl, but even I can't deny that this product is worth the little effort it takes when you want a sunny beach style. I am Asian, so my hair is naturally smooth and straight. If I spray this one when my hair is damp, and sort of "crinkle" my hair with my hands (grab large uneven chunks of it and compress and squeeze them) while they are drying, my hair gets and retains the most amazing natural wave. How the Bumble & Bumble stylist explained it to me is that this hair makes your hair a bit "dirty" with a little more "grip". For my hair which is squeaky clean, smooth and silky naturally, this allows me to dull up the shine and create some texture. It also allows me to keep an updo, which is normally impossible because my strands just fall right through. Love this product! Plus the packaging is adorable - a rubber bottle? Something I usually retire for most of the winter, but a definite must-have for summer!

on 6/10/2009 5:20:00 AM

I notice a lot more texture in my hair when I use this spray. I have thick strands but not a lot of it so its really hard to get volume. With this stuff it feels like my hair has more of a "grip"to it so it stays in place better when I style.

on 6/9/2009 8:38:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

There are some mixed reviews about this product. When I first got this, I found it difficult to use because I didn't have a diffuser and being completely ignorant, I sprayed it like a hairspray. My hair is superthick and heavy but I don't get much body. With a bit of practice, this product is amazing. I spray this into my roots in sections on damp hair straight out of the shower. I blast my hair with the hairdryer from mid length down to evaporate as much moisture as possible before using the diffuser on my roots. I definitely have beachy hair minus the sand and even though this is so expensive, I don't think I could live without it!

I agree with the other reviews that Surf Spray is drying but I have naturally oily roots anyways and this counteracts with the oil seeing as I only use it on the roots anyways.

on 6/4/2009 2:32:00 PM

I've wanted this spray for so long, and I have to admit, I wasn't disappointed.
The product is just fantastic, and does exactly as it promises.
I tend to use it on dry hairm as this works best for me and dries better - I spray an amount into my hand to save the product...that's where it's faults come in - it isn't cheap, at least not for the size of the bottle!
But I do love it, it gives me that rock star chick look, leaving my hair feeling lightweight, and smelling gorgeous - will deffo get again!!

Top Rated Bumble & Bumble Products