December 19, 2014 | 1186 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by xanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Yes, it is expensive but totally worth it if your hair is fine, thin, stick straight and slippery smooth. I got it from a new stylist that I went to since after she had finished, my hair had more volume and texture than it ever had before (my previous stylist also used B&B, but never this product). She said all she applied was a tiny bit of B&B Styling Creme and surf spray. I couldn't afford both so she told me buy the surf spray and then gave me a huge amount of styling creme sample packets (and coco creme poo/conditioner samples, love her). I don't use it every day (I'm a wash&air dry kind of girl, my hair is too easily damaged--and I'm too lazy--to handle anything else) but when I want volume and texture this is the only product that has ever delivered. I apply it to my hands and then scrunch it through my hair starting at the roots. Blow dry or air dry, the effect is noticeable either way. And as long as you don't use massive amount every day, it seems to last forever. I bought it in January (now July) and when I shake the bottle it feels like I haven't used any at all. Plus I seem to be able to go longer without washing my hair if I use this. Might be drying if you use it every single day and the smell reminds me vaguely of Nair but the smell isn't noticeable once it is in your hair and like I said before, this is the only volume/texture product I've tried that WORKS.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by cece1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff! Bumble and Bumble has been having some awesome free shipping deals and their website also has recently been updated with how-to videos.

This spray can be used on wet or dry hair. It gives that 2nd day hair instantly. Lots of volume!

Also works great layered over Grooming Creme.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2009 10:07:00 AM More reviews by olelala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm pretty no-nonsense, shampoo-conditioner-finger dry kind of girl, but even I can't deny that this product is worth the little effort it takes when you want a sunny beach style. I am Asian, so my hair is naturally smooth and straight. If I spray this one when my hair is damp, and sort of "crinkle" my hair with my hands (grab large uneven chunks of it and compress and squeeze them) while they are drying, my hair gets and retains the most amazing natural wave. How the Bumble & Bumble stylist explained it to me is that this hair makes your hair a bit "dirty" with a little more "grip". For my hair which is squeaky clean, smooth and silky naturally, this allows me to dull up the shine and create some texture. It also allows me to keep an updo, which is normally impossible because my strands just fall right through. Love this product! Plus the packaging is adorable - a rubber bottle? Something I usually retire for most of the winter, but a definite must-have for summer!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 5:20:00 AM More reviews by barkercakes

I notice a lot more texture in my hair when I use this spray. I have thick strands but not a lot of it so its really hard to get volume. With this stuff it feels like my hair has more of a "grip"to it so it stays in place better when I style.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2009 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Psychadelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

There are some mixed reviews about this product. When I first got this, I found it difficult to use because I didn't have a diffuser and being completely ignorant, I sprayed it like a hairspray. My hair is superthick and heavy but I don't get much body. With a bit of practice, this product is amazing. I spray this into my roots in sections on damp hair straight out of the shower. I blast my hair with the hairdryer from mid length down to evaporate as much moisture as possible before using the diffuser on my roots. I definitely have beachy hair minus the sand and even though this is so expensive, I don't think I could live without it!

I agree with the other reviews that Surf Spray is drying but I have naturally oily roots anyways and this counteracts with the oil seeing as I only use it on the roots anyways.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2009 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Veebum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've wanted this spray for so long, and I have to admit, I wasn't disappointed.
The product is just fantastic, and does exactly as it promises.
I tend to use it on dry hairm as this works best for me and dries better - I spray an amount into my hand to save the product...that's where it's faults come in - it isn't cheap, at least not for the size of the bottle!
But I do love it, it gives me that rock star chick look, leaving my hair feeling lightweight, and smelling gorgeous - will deffo get again!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2009 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Fleet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my favorite products. I use it as a second day restyler to get volume back in my hair, and the mattifying effect takes care of oil. When working in salon I loved this for updos, as the gritty texture helps give pins something to grab on to and is perfect for curls, waves, and volume. If you like a pieced out, funky, free form style and waxes and pastes always leave your hair looking lifeless you've got to try this. It's great for all hair types, long or short, curly, straight or wavy. It looks great when applied wet and allowed to air dry, blown dry (use a diffuser for serious waves and volume), or sprayed in hair dry for restyling. Use just at the roots and round brush set for more control. This is great for me in the summer, as I sweat a lot. I simply wait for my scalp to dry, tousle, and still have that lovely volume.

Here are some of the downsides. First, the smell isn't great. It's not awful either, so it doesn't truly effect how I feel about it. It's mostly just a salt smell, but there it a hint of a rubbery scent as well. Second, I find it sometimes makes my scalp itch. Again, that's the salt. I simply avoid spraying directly on the scalp and that takes care of the problem. And, of course, Bb products are on the pricey side, but for performance and quality it's definitely worth it. It seems to last me several months depending on usage.

For those of you complaining about the gritty texture, matte finish, etc, this product is simply not for you. It's meant to give the hair a wind blown, beachy texture, bring out waves, add volume and tooth (the gritty grip that keeps pins in). If you're wanting sleek, fussy, shiny hair look for something else. It does what it says it does. It can be drying. It contains salt after all, staying true to the "just got off the beach" look. I apply a dab of Brilliantine when I need to add shine. If you need moisture, try Sumo Wax or Styling Wax, but try a tiny amount and add more if needed to avoid weighing down that lovely volume.

As with all Bumble and bumble products I recommend checking out their website for great videos showing two or three applications for each product. Bb is about flexibility and creativity, and even as a hair dresser I got a lot of ideas from watching these. If you're having trouble with any of their products, you really should check it out.

28 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 6:24:00 PM More reviews by jdelro6

One of my favorite hair products! It really gives you that "beach" look without actually being there. Just spray it in, and work it through your hair like any hair spray product. Dont worry about using too much. In my opinion, more is better.

Also, if you have oily hair like me, you can use it as a conditioner type product if you dont feel like washing your hair. It really holds the oils back, and doesnt feel like theres a leave-in product on my scalp.

One more thing, it smells SOOO good!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2009 12:51:00 AM More reviews by MKM2000

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product does exactly what it says it does which makes me happy. I love the relaxed sexy beachy look it gives me. The only downside to this product is that it leaves your hair feeling a tiny bit crunchy but thats exactly what the ocean does to it to. Other than that little nuisance, this is a great buy even if it is on the expensive side. With high end products you pay for the name and packaging in addition to the product so keep that in mind. If you do not want to spend too much, make your own mixture of sea salt and water! PS I find all of my BB product at HEB!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2009 10:38:00 AM More reviews by SarahKatie

This is okay. I does what is says it will, gives beachy-wavy hair without weighing down my fine hair or making it crunchy. I say it is okay, because it is very expensive. You could get the same effect with some salt water in a spray bottle and a little root lifting spray. But if you are not near the beach, or if you need a little more control with your hair, than this is probably good for you. I said I would not buy it again, because I can just drive 10 minutes to the beach and fill up a spray bottle when I run out of this. Saltwater was my go to product in high school (deep conditioning once a week), and I switched to this when I fell in love with the Bumble and Bumble products, I thought it would be even better than plain old salt water. I was wrong, but it was a fun experiment.