August 20, 2014 | 1293 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dove - Beauty Bar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2012 9:43:00 AM More reviews by underdreamskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My grandma, my mom, and I have been using this soap for ever! I think the love runs in the family. We all love it and personally I know I have never purchased a different brand of bar soap, I've also never ever seen my mom purchase any brand other than Dove and at my grandma's house this is all I ever see... I sound a little crazy haha but I love this soap, it just feels luxurious. Everything else leaves my skin tight or just not as soft as this would, not to mention the smell of Dove beauty bars... Just love. <3

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2012 8:59:00 AM More reviews by fictionalize

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Before I start my review, let me tell you about my skin. It's generally pretty bad, on my face and my body. I've always had eczema and it worsened when I hit puberty (I'm 19 now) and was really really difficult to keep under control, constantly itchy and after about a year I had scratched so badly that my arms, legs, back, and sometimes neck and face were perpetually covered in open raw sores and wounds. I also got keratosis pilaris and granuloma annulare. Pretty gross, I know, bear with me. Additionally, I had really gross acne and oily skin. Also around the time I hit puberty, a whole menagerie of mental diseases reared their ugly heads, which I tell you because I developed obsessive compulsive tendencies that manifested themselves in the form of skin scratching and picking.
... Let's just say Middle School wasn't the most fun.
Somewhere along the line I went to a dermatologist and had my skin blasted with corticosteroids, which helped enormously. I also slowly started getting my anxiety under control, which definitely helped the condition of my skin. The skin on my face is still pretty bad and scarred, but the condition of my body skin, though far from perfect, is exponentially better. I'm almost 20 now.

During the process of trying to heal my skin, I tried lots and lots of soaps and body washes to find one that would work for my skin. I always scrubbed at my skin intensely, being a little fixated on getting it clean. At some point, I tried Dove. I like the smell a lot but at first found it slightly drying. Then I figured something out which has been an absolute blessing to my skin: it doesn't need as much washing as one might think! I use Dove to clean "key areas" and wash dirt of at the end of my long workday & commute / schoolday, and I find that it has actually improved my skin's condition, leaving it clean but not too dry and it never irritates. I sometimes also use it on my face, but not always. It's ok and it doesn't make my acne worse, but I'm too fickle/too much of a skincare addict to stick to one thing. However, I haven't stopped using Dove on my body every day since I started using it, and have repurchased at least 4 times. It's cheap, it smells good but doesn't linger, and something about using it makes me feel good about myself, a little old-school and not exactly sexy but clean and "wholesome". I can't credit Dove alone with turning my skin around (and it really did turn around), but using Dove soap was definitely part of it.

If you have skin that sounds like mine, I have two pieces of advice. The first is definitely to see a dermatologist as soon as you possibly can. It's worth it, trust me. The second is to be kind to your skin--being kind to your skin is a step towards being kind to yourself. For me, this involves using Dove. Dove isn't a miracle product, but used in a way that's right for you, it can come pretty damn close.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2012 2:46:00 AM More reviews by staci01

My husband is a big fan of this as it keeps his skin moisturized and doesn't cause his skin to dry out. At one time I used Dove soap because I looooove the smell of it and it's a basic soap that works and better IMO than a body wash. Cheaper too. I stopped using it as, for some reason, it made my feet crack and bleed. No other parts of my body had this reaction except my feet so I stopped using it as I didn't want to add an additional step in the shower of having to use another soap for my feet. I also tried using this on my face but it clogged my pores and broke my skin out. Works,cheap,great smell otherwise.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 2:07:00 AM More reviews by MissMadi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

You know, I never thought much about this soap through out my 20 years of life. My mother used this on my brother and I all through our childhood and I still find myself buying it to this day. I have tried all kinds of cleansing products, both expensive and non-expensive. This soap works the BEST for all uses, including cleaning my makeup brushes and lady bits. The best part about this soap, though, is that it does not cause my acne-prone skin to break out. It's a life saver!! Thanks Dove!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by preeti33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Is this soap like real? Oh my God, this is the best little thing in my bathroom. I have the moisturising version(I dont remembr the full name) and I use it for my entire body. I shower twice a day, once in the morning and then before going to bed. Earlier, I was using body washes but I found them drying for using twice a day. After reading Dove's rave reviews on MUA, I finally bought 1 bar just to try it out. Didnt expect much as I just assumed that generally, soaps are of inferior quality. Boy was I surprised. Its the best little thing I have used on my face and body so far. It has completely changed my overall skin texture. My skin has become so smooth just by using this in the shower. I am totally in love with this. Also, you cant beat the price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I like Dove soaps quite a lot but not this one. I use the sensitive skin version on my face and in the shower at times. I like the yellow and green for shower only. I find with my insanely dry skin that even thick creamy body washes can leave my skin feeling tight and stripped if I use a scrubby mitt or scrubby gloves. So for me Dove soaps can be moisturizing especially key is if after using with mitt or glloves to exfoliate, I use the soap plain, rubbing bar straight on my skin, to be left with the moisturizing benefits after I rinse. The original beauty bar is probably fine for showering too. However I have a negative association after a brief but awful bout with acne in my 20's. The derm told me to use this on my face and it didn't help, not sure if it worsened things? I only know the scent reminds me of that time. I love Dove body washes and several bars, just not this particular one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 4:03:00 AM More reviews by Heyitskristina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this smell its AMAZING, also makes my skin softer !! And its under a dollar, but the packaging is paper so that not good if you use it in the shower because it'll become wet
It's so nice i love it sooo much!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2012 1:44:00 PM More reviews by incognito

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'll be honest: I don't like any other Dove products - the haircare line especially. But the soap is a staple for me. I only use the unscented or sensitive skin kind, as it has a very mild fragrance and not the strong, rosey-soapy scent of the regular kind which I can't stand. I use this in the shower for my body and it never dries out my skin; and I've noticed something weird: when I wash my armpits with Dove, they don't get nearly as sweaty/stinky later as when I wash with other soaps or body washes (sorry if TMI!). I also use this on my face after an oil-based cleanser to remove makeup, or sometimes just on its own on light-makeup days. Last but not least, a bar of this stuff lasts a long time, as long as you keep it in a dry spot. I really love it, and just wish that the parent company didn't test on animals :-(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by livefree

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use Dove to cleanse my face and body. Leaves my skin feeling moisturized and fresh. I have acne-prone skin and Dove does not break me out. In fact, I think it helps clear up my face. Cheap and effective. No need to purchase fancy cleansers.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by silviabeloved

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

EDIT:
Just like "using sugar to scrub my face" method, this bar soap worked perfectly for my face for about 9 months, then it started making my facial skin too dry and eventually broke me out. The whole process was so slow and gentle that I didn't suspect a thing. I first changed my moisturizer then my facial scrub, I just never thought it would be the bar soap that's causing it. I even started using Effaclar Duo in hope of improving the situation, which of course dried out my skin more and made it worse. Anyway, when the skin on my body started to get irritated and dry, I finally realized that I have to change a cleanser, this just isn't working for me anymore. Well, it was good while it lasted.

I use Dove Beauty Bar as:
1.Shampoo (I didn't know my Mom gave me soft bouncy hair until I started washing it with this soap, the first time I did, my stylist in the hair salon was like "your hair is so beautiful today, what did you do with it?")
2. Makeup remover (Basically, I just wash my face with a bit more care when I have makeup on)
3. The ONLY facial cleanser (Oh yeah, I tried other 100% natural organic soaps, big mistake, not gonna do it again)
4. Body wash (Though sometimes I want to save this soap only for my face and hair so I wash my body with whatever else I can find in the bathroom, my body skin is a lot less picky than my facial one)
5. Shaving cream (Well, basically my shaving cream is whatever I am using to wash my body that day, I don't really have much body hair to begin with, so....)
6. It's actually mild enough to wash my private area with, yeah, you guessed it, I am a woman.
7. Whenever my sensitive facial skin feels like crap because of whatever stupid stuff I try on my face that doesn't work, sometimes it gets so bad that even water hurts my skin, I can always rely on Dove Beauty Bar to help me through until my skin is back to normal again.
8. It saves me A LOT OF trouble (and space) when I travel.
9. It saves me a lot of money while making me look my best (Yeah, no need for hair conditioner either)
10. I feel somehow very eco-friendly, just think about all the plastic bottles I am "not using"!

All I can say is, I wish I knew about this soap 10 years ago, and I don't wish to part with it ever again.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No