MAC Viva Glam II

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my favorite lipstick of all time. I've heard people say it looks too brown, but this is actually a semi light nude color on me, an NC25 with olive undertones. It's way better than any other nude I've tried and the money goes to a great cause. I'm so shocked other people don't like it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I cannot wear this lipstick alone since it comes out too brown on my pigmented lips. I do really love it with a pink lipgoss (Viva Glam VI SE) on top of it. This combination comes out as the perfect nude for my complexion. I have tried this lipstick with C-Thru, but it is too brown for my lips. I need more pink mixed in with the brown. I will probably never use this color up, since it takes too much time to make it look natural.

I was pressured into buying this by an MA when I was 15 ha, this was back in 1997 or 1998 can't remember. It was that time period in the 90s when girls were wearing all that brick coloured lipstick. I was fed up of Twig and Bubbles... so the lady suggested this. I dont think I was old enough to appreciate this lipstick.

I ended up giving it to my cousin who came to visit from Germany! She loved it and I told her she could have it! lol

Looking at it now, its a cross between Angel & Blankety.

Oh well, at least its for a good cause!

So what this has been around....perfect matte nude shade! Ala Angelina Jolie. With the coordinating pencil and some gloss this stayed on from 5am till 7pm, through a light lunch and 3 cups of coffee. No touch ups at all, gloss melted into to lip and allowed for a matte lipstick to remain non drying and cakey looking. For those who say it is graying, it does have that cast when worn alone. Get the liner and some clear gloss. You can wear this with any eye color except browns. otherwise too murky looking.

I am very fair, cooler-toned, and have pigmented lips for my complexion. This color falls flat on me. I wear a lot of cooler-toned lipstick so I don't think this is too cool-toned. I think this is a tad light for me and needs more pink. I think this looks like natural lips for someone with a pale complexion (like me) and lightly pigmented lips, but if my natural lip color was like this I would wear lipstick all the time! I prefer light natural pinks with more pink like Faux.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I love this color. I generally wear this with a bright pink liner or a dark lip color underneath, like the original Viva Glam. Even without the liner or lipstick underneath, it looks like a nice pinky nude... much nicer and more natural than Bobbi Brown Tulle Brown (or is it Brown Tulle? Never mind, you get the idea), this lippie works well with a pinky-blushed cheek and a lined-but-otherwise-nude eye for a minimalist look. I have a medium/ medium-tan complexion, depending on the season, and this works for me in both summer and winter. I actually just purchased a second tube, after having used up the color from a lipstick palette I bought a couple of years back... yeah, I am stingy with lipsticks I like :-)

I tried to like it, I really did. The color was just too harsh, which is saying a lot for a beigish pink. If I wear it with a nude liner and a pink lip gloss, it looks good. It's just hard to find that perfect balance. A darker liner, and you end up with that awful outlined lip look (it doesn't seem to blend very well with the lip liner), and too light and it looks greyish and dull. I'm a fan of most of the Viva Glam line, but I will not buy this one again.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am tan and this color made me look like death. Seriously. I looked almost goth. I did not detect any pink in this.. it was almost grey. The texture was also dry and it was just overal really bad! I will be returning this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this color it goes perfectly with my skintone and I get tons of compliments even by MAC makeup artists. This is subtle and I like that. I hope that this never fails on me and that I could end up buying again because it's a great color.
EDIT: This has reached HG status and I'm on my second tube. I lasted quite a while with the first one because I use other lipsticks but when I want a nude subtle look I grab this one and I get tones of compliments even from guys. I love this lipstick. If it gets discontinued I'm going to buy a whole bunch of them. That's how much I love this lipstick. :-)

Viva Glam II on unlined lips. If the image above isn't working, it's mirrored at http://mac.larahill.com/swatch/displayimage.php?pos=-478

Viva Glam II is the second colour released in the charity fund-raising Viva Glam line. A slightly pinked beige, this lipstick is very cool and can cast a slight lavender/grey tint to the lips. VGII was released in 1997, and to be perfectly honest it's a very late 90's colour. What Revlon Toast of New York was to the early 90's, VGII is to the late 90's.

There is the tiniest, virtually invisible amount of shimmer (definitely not a deal breaker if you're anti-shimmer; I wouldn't have noticed it at all if the MAC website description hadn't mentioned it) and the finish is a true satin with just enough moisture to be creamy and just enough firmness to be long-wearing. The application is creamy, smooth and intense, with no cracking or sliding. Paired with Subculture or Spice lipliner, this would wear evenly for quite a while without going chunky or funky.

This is a very, /very/ difficult colour to wear. My colouring doesn't quite allow me to pull this one off with as much grace as I'd like (it's a little too dark, a little too brown, a little too strong on the grey undertones), but I don't feel that I wasted my money. After all, all the proceeds went to HIV/AIDs charities within the country of purchase, Australia in my case, and purchasing it allowed me to meet Dita Von Teese. I might not have been wearing VGII when I met her, but at least VGII allowed me meet her in the first place. There's always a silver lining!

I am: Px B/R Camellia (palest pink-toned porcelain), black hair, blue eyes. continued >>

Recommended for Medium Skin