November 26, 2014 | 1687 users online

Lips - L'Oreal - Colour Riche Balm

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by lnajaar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDIT: Ditched this for the FLOWER Lip Service Lip Butter in "Princess and The Peony". It's the color and everything else I wanted from the L'Oreal balm, and no testing on animals. Win-Win.

I bought this in Rose Elixir because rose is my best MLBB color. I'm not a fan of opaque lipstick, nor do I like high shine lip gloss. I really want something in between, so I look for balms. Many balms have been discontinued over the years, so I find myself searching for new ones. Right now, this is the best balm I can find. It is more transparent, slippery and shiny than I prefer. Although it's oil-based and shinier than I expected, it's not a glassy lip gloss shine.

Everyone is talking about how this compares with Revlon's lip butters. I tried the rose shade in the Revlon product, and took an instant dislike to it. It was an unnatural opaque color, dry, and looked like it was sitting on the surface of my lips instead of blending with them. The L'Oreal balm looks like the color comes from the depths of my lips; much more natural. Plus, you can put it on without a mirror because there is no need to be precise.

I found a blog with a very good picture of the balms swatched on an arm if you'd like to see the colors. You will see more color payoff than expected once the balm is built up. http://glamtrotter.com/loreal-balm-swatches/

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2012 1:15:00 AM More reviews by YellowLantern

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you were one of the people complaining that the Revlon Lipbutters were too pigmented then these are for you. Despite the name "Colour Riche" there is definitely no richness of color in this balm. I bought the color Pink Satin hoping it would tone down the color of my naturally reddish-pink with a hint of mauve colored lips and add a little more pinkness to them. However this is pretty much a clear gloss with a very fine and subtle pink shimmer (the shimmer does not feel gritty on the lips).

In terms of its ability as a lip balm this is just okay. It feels a little more moisturizing/comfortable than the Revlon Lipbutters, but I still don't think it's moisturizing on the same level of an actual lip balm. Like the Lipbutters this has pretty poor longevity and I have to reapply every hour at least. These have a very subtle, sweet scent though after ten minutes on the lips the scent fades. Overall I don't think this is terrible, but it just seems like mediocre quality lip balm that wears off quickly since there isn't much color to speak off. To put it another way, I get more noticeable color from cherry chapstick and since chapstick is cheaper I see little point in recommending this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by DeltaJuliet

I bought this in the Berry shade last week and I love it. I'm trying to decide which color to get next...maybe the nude.
I find it to be just right...hydrating enough and a bit of color, which is exactly what I was looking for.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2012 2:13:00 PM More reviews by carinnemj

I agree with the others that this product is good but not great. I really wanted the new Fresh tinted lip balm in Coral but when I saw these on sale at the grocery store, I picked one up in Caring Coral to see if it would satisfy that craving. I like the buttercream scent, the pretty gold and translucent peach packaging, the nongoopy formula, and the SPF 15, but the color payoff just isn't there. It shows up as nothing on the back of my hand, and just shine on my lips. It's also very lightly hydrating, so it won't heal cracked lips or work miracles.

I'm happy enough with it for $5.99 but I wish it were either a better balm or had a better tint.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by JayLammMD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, so I kept reading the great reviews on this product. So I decided to give it a try. I'm still looking for my HG lip prodcuct since Christian Dior stopped making my favorite of all time.
I love the way this product goes on. I think I purchased it in Nude. I thought there is not way with it feeling this nice at first that it was going to last. To my GREAT surprise a couple of hours later after having a Diet Mountian Dew (now talk about HG) Love me some dew. I digress sorry; After 2-3 hours the product was still on my lips and it still felt great. I love this so much that I am going to send it in "Berry" to my mother for mothers day. She's 76 now and unsless I'm there to apply sometimes something that is to Lip Stickie (is that a word)? ....can be a little over-whelming. I think she's going to love this product. I looks and feels great and will give her a little colour, that will be forgiving if she makes a little mistake when applying.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2012 6:34:00 PM More reviews by icepunkprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this in Heavenly Berry and it does not show up on my lips at all. Otherwise, though, this is a lovely balm. It is moisturizing, smells like cotton candy and the packaging is lovely.If you have pigmented lips, though, you'll probably want to pass on these.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm not usually sensitive to lip products but this one in particular makes my lips peel like crazy. It's unfortunate, because I really enjoy the smooth slick texture of these and the sheer color payoff and color selection. I picked up a couple when they first launched - Nourishing Nude and Caring Coral are my favorites. Tender Mauve is a slightly cooler dupe of Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy, IMO. The packaging is very pretty and I'm a fan of the slight fruity/ floral scent and I also appreciate lip products with spf... But again, it's unfortunate that my lips react negatively to something in these, otherwise they would be an HG item to throw in my makeup bag or purse.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 9:06:00 AM More reviews by gc2011

Got this on a whim in Tender Mauve - and I LOVE it!

It is a spot-on match for my natural lipcolor. The balm consistency moisturizes, adds shine, and has enough color to show up but look very natural. These lip balms feel amazing on, too, and they have spf 15. This particular color seems to go with everything, too.

I like this so much better than Revlon's Lip Butters. Revlon's product really dries my lips out when I use it often. :(

Will repurchase, and will buy more of these.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by bossanovaville

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am quite pleased with this product. It's actually much better than I anticipated. When I see the word "balm", I usually expect the product to offer very little. Other tinted balms I've tried have been too dry, too matte and/or undetectable. I didn't find those challenges with these (except for one).

I've noticed some reviewers stating the pigments are too sheer or non-existent. They are very sheer and subtle but I find some shades are more pigmented than others. I purchased Nourishing Nude, Tender Mauve and Heavenly Berry. The first thing I noticed was the texture. It glided on smoothly, felt comfortable and provided more moisturization than I expected. I would compare the feel of it to a soft chapstick but with more moisture and a lighter feel. I also like the level of shine. Certainly more shine than one would get from a chapstick, not as shiny as a gloss. Rather, I would describe it as a subtle sheen. The scent is not perfumey but faintly sweet, almost vanilla-like and very light. These balms also do not taste perfumey either. We inevitably ingest tiny amounts of lip products and I am personally very turned off by those that have a "perfumey make-up" taste to them. These do not taste like anything.

As for the color, while Tender Mauve surprisingly had more pigment than it would appear to, it was just a bit too cool for my skintone. Heavenly Berry was the sheerest of the three, which surprised me since it appeared to be one of the more intense shades. The color was almost undetectable, making it a $7 chapstick/lip moisturizer. Nourishing Nude is my favorite of the three. It has a nice neutral tone that gave me a sheer wash of color. So flattering and subtle.

These are great for everyday. Application is quick, easy and not messy. You could whip one of these out almost anywhere and quickly apply without really even needing a mirror. I'm not crazy about the packaging myself. I've never liked L'Oreal's lipstick tubes with the little notch in the lid. But the quality is good. I can toss these into my black hole of a handbag and not worry they'll crack or break. I would love to see a redesign of just the tube itself with a round fitted lid, similar to Clinique's Almost Lipstick tubes. Would make them less bulky and a bit more aesthetically pleasing, I feel.

Overall, I really like these. The look is very natural. When I look in the mirror, I don't see a coat of lipstick or the patent shine of a gloss. It just looks like my lips, only better (if that makes any sense).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by madeupmary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this product - I got it in Rose Elixir from a lovely MUAer along with some Revlon Lip Butters and I definitely prefer this product. It is much more moist than the Revlon Lip Butters which I find too drying. The pigmentation isn't great and I would love to try this in a few different colours to see what they look like on, but they feel amazing on your lips - not drying at all. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them in the UK, maybe they're only available in the US :(