April 20, 2014 | 1705 users online

Lips - L'Oreal - Colour Riche Balm

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by madeupmary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this product - I got it in Rose Elixir from a lovely MUAer along with some Revlon Lip Butters and I definitely prefer this product. It is much more moist than the Revlon Lip Butters which I find too drying. The pigmentation isn't great and I would love to try this in a few different colours to see what they look like on, but they feel amazing on your lips - not drying at all. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them in the UK, maybe they're only available in the US :(

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2012 12:36:00 AM More reviews by cosmic23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This caught my eye as I was browsing the L'oreal section. I'm a sucker for tinted glossy lip balm and quickly looked up reviews on MUA for this. While I read both good and bad reviews for this I decided to try it since I love glossy balms. I wouldn't call the consistency thin since it's smooth enough for you to rub your lips together after applying. It's actually really hard to find a tinted lip balm that isn't too dry that it accentuates all the flakes & lines on your lips. Color is a bit on the light side but it does show up, I imagine if it was any darker it wouldn't be so smooth and glossy. Everyone compliments it on the packaging and while I do love the main gold case (reminds of me YSL) I don't care too much for the see through cap. However most drugstore lipsticks have clear caps in order to show consumers the color but they could have included another solid color cap...oh wells...
The see through tinted caps does distort the actual color of the lipstick and although it wasn't a big difference when I got home and opened it I was slightly disappointed, so be prepared.
I didn't notice any sunscreen smell or anything disgusting, actually it has a light vanilla scent, very pleasant.
I haven't used it long enough to see if it does improve the condition of my lips but as long as it doesn't make it worst, I think I might go back to grab another color.

Update: still loving this but tried a few other colors like Nourishing Nude and Pink Satin, no color shows up. :( Also it looks as if they do not advertise this product containing SPF anymore, at least not on the cap or in the description.. bummer..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by froggrlily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I got the Plush Plum and Tender Mauve. I love the sweet, sugary smell of these lip balms and the slick, glossy feel they have on the lips. I think the hint of color they give is lovely. I don't usually wear lipstick because I don't like the intense coloring. These are a great option for somebody who only wants sheer color with their gloss.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 8:32:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

L'Oreal Color Riche Balms are slightly tinted, glossy balms available in 8 shades. I have Rose Elixir, the second lightest shade of the collection. Color Riche Balms have SPF 15 and contain Shea Butter as a moisturizing agent. Unfortunately L'Oreal products are tested on animals, and this balm contains non-vegan ingredients such as carmine. L'Oreal promises that this balm will give kissable, luscious color that will smooth the lips instantly, all while delivering 8 full hours of continuous hydration, resulting in lips that are softer and more supple. I'm having a hard time finding conclusive information about where L'Oreal products are made, but after some digging, I found that 20 of L'Oreal's 37 production plants are in France, 8 more in the US, so It's safe to assume that this product was made in one of those two countries. I purchased my Color Riche balm at Rite Aid for $3.75, with a $4 off coupon. The MSRP is $7.95, but I've seen prices vary from $5.25 to nearly $9, so these balms can get quite expensive.
May I say that the Color Riche balm's packaging is beautiful? It's so fancy and elegant! I give it 5 Quites. It looks so high end compared to most of it's drugstore counterparts. Lol I'm ranting about packaging again. A square, gold base with gold twist up mechanism is matched up with a pink, translucent, plastic cap that snaps on securely. The cap slants slightly and features the word "Balm" in gold lettering, written sideways. This packaging is a thing of beauty, but also functional and sturdy. I've dropped this tube onto concrete with not even a scratch of damage done.
In the tube, Rose Elixir appears to be a medium, neutral, rosy pink. However, once swatched onto the skin or lips, Rose Elixir shows it's true color; clear. There is a slight, super sheer pink tint, but it's negligible. If you have any natural pigmentation to your lips, this won't add any color, just a tad of glossiness. Don't get me wrong, the glossiness is pretty, and natural looking, but I was really disappointed with the near complete lack of color pay off. I mean it's called Color Riche. I assume that would mean it's rich in color, but I'm no French expert. Honestly, I don't feel like L'Oreal was upfront with how sheer their Color Riche balms are. Pretty sure they mentioned "luscious color" in their product overview. Luscious and Sheer are not synonyms. I have a feeling L'Oreal was trying to play on their Revlon Lip Butter fad with this product, but didn't bother to come up with as pigmented of a formula.

Despite failing in the color category, this is a pretty good balm. The texture of this balm is kinda a median between the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters, which to me, are dry and waxy, and the greasy, slippy texture of Maybelline's Baby Lips balm. On the lips, it wears very comfortably, like a smoother, more moisturizing Chapstick. After L'Oreal's balm has sunken in a bit, it feels like what healthy lips should feel like. Silky, smooth, and a little bit moist. It's really enjoyable.
But do you really get 8 hours of continuous hydration? Sure, if you apply this balm 3 or 4 times in that eight hour span. From one application though? No. It's really about two or three hours of moisture. I feel a definite need to reapply after hour three. I don't really mind though, in my opinion three hours is a good amount of wear for what is essentially a clear balm. Unfortunately, because of frequent reapplication, I'm going through Rose Elixir rather quickly, not that you get a ton of product in the first place.
L'Oreal claims that their Color Riche balms continue to condition the lips even after removal. Normally I'd totally discount a claim like that. It doesn't really make sense does it? But I kinda believe it. Even with fully bare lips, my lips look much smoother and healthier since I've started using this product. Impressed.
These balms don't have an assigned flavor, but they do have a taste. Rose Elixir has a light but noticeable sunscreen taste and smell, which I partially expected considering the SPF content. To me, it's mildly pleasant, but others might find it bothersome.
L'Oreal Color Riche Balms are one of those products that has so many pros and cons that I can't really give it an appropriate amount of praise or hate. It's one of those product that you have to take a (slightly expensive) risk on and try for yourself and form your own opinion on. This balm is beautiful, never have I had such a perfectly packaged product before, the moisture and conditioning it gives is fantastic, and it's natural, glossy shine is pretty, but the utter lack of color payoff is a total put off, along with the nearly eight buck price tag. Rose Elixir is a product I'll enjoy while I have it, but I won't be repurchasing, unless I have another $4 off coupon.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by hrab03

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is going back ASAP!! Why? OMG, the sunscreen smell/taste. I'm surprised that more people haven't commented or complained. When I first applied, I thought I had ~almost~ found a dupe on my beloved (HG) Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip balm that was d/c a few years back. Nice plum/fruit punch color, smooth, had SPF. Sadly, this wasn't. I love the color that I chose (something Plum). Sheer, plummy color. Nice and smooth, easily wearable. Fairly inexpensive. Wore it for about an hour and 'thought' I could hack the sunscreen smell/taste 'cause I liked the color that much. Nope. Can't. Do. It. Went to eat dinner and instead of yummy dinner, all I could taste was sunscreen! The reviewed who said that it tasted like you smeared Coppertone on your lip was dead on. Boo!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Flippinsushi

Got in the Plum shade, and I love it! I read this has the most color payoff by far, so I can't comment about the other shades, but this one is perfect for me. As another reviewer mentioned, this shade is VERY similar to Clinique's Black Honey, although this one seems a litte more red/pink or something, actually compliments me more. Honestly, I really love these, my lips have been super chapped lately and I tend to like stronger colors, but with the chapped lips that hasn't been going to well, so I decided I need a more MLBB approach to lip color, and this is perfect for that! I must say, also quite moisturizing for a tinted lip color.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2012 12:12:00 AM More reviews by monimop

I bought this in Nourishing Nude and I absolutely love it. I've been on the market for a nudish lipstick. I think I'm NW30 or 35? I'm not entirely sure but my lips are naturally pretty washed out. However, I wanted something that looked like my lips but better... not lipstick that is similar to my lip color but still obviously lipstick... but just something that would add a lil something to my lips in a nice, natural way. does that make sense? Anyway, these were perfect! Sheer but enough pigment to even out any pigmentation and give it a little more life than usual. They feel very moisturizing and I love that because my lips dry out very easily. I have a billion lipsticks and give them their time in the spotlight but this is quickly becoming one of my favorites just because its so easy to use.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Yewniverse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Caring coral- nice hit of coral colour, but I find the sunscreen taste uncomfortably strong.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by lavndarSky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pink Satin = HG status for me! I love the packaging, love the texture, love the color! It is a very clear light rosy pink with tiny, tiny pink/rose shimmers. Definitely has some color, not totally clear. Glossy, but not like you just swiped vasoline on your lips. Balmy, but not that waxy buildup. Just comfortable, creamy. Oh, and not greasy (YSL Sheer Volupte Candy...I'm looking at you!) So I am really enjoying these, but I fear when they will be discontinued.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by weianwang

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay, to EVERYONE out there who insists on comparing this product to the Revlon Lip Butters - ITS NOT INTENDED TO BE THE SAME THING. Revlon Lip Butters are advertised as lipsticks, whereas these are LIP BALMS. They're not supposed to have the same pigmentation! So stop comparing this product to the Lip Butters - that's stupid and makes you seem uneducated.

Now, that being said, these products are pretty hydrating, but they don't last the 8 hours as advertised....they last about 2-3 if I'm lucky. The color is super sheer, but there is definitely the lightest tint on my lips, so it's not too disappointing there.....The smell is a bit bizarre though. It smells artificially sweet....bleagh.

Basically, it's a lipbalm. It's not a fantastic lipbalm...it's kind of alright. And it's definitely not worth the 8 dollars I shelled out for this. You probably wouldn't need more than one or two of these, because from afar, these all look the same on most people's lips (unless your lips are less pigmented). Up close, there are slight differences, but not extreme. I bought the Rose Elixir L'Oreal Color Riche Lip Bam, which is basically the color of my lips.