August 31, 2014 | 1062 users online

Lips - L'Oreal - Colour Riche Balm

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by JayLammMD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, so I kept reading the great reviews on this product. So I decided to give it a try. I'm still looking for my HG lip prodcuct since Christian Dior stopped making my favorite of all time.
I love the way this product goes on. I think I purchased it in Nude. I thought there is not way with it feeling this nice at first that it was going to last. To my GREAT surprise a couple of hours later after having a Diet Mountian Dew (now talk about HG) Love me some dew. I digress sorry; After 2-3 hours the product was still on my lips and it still felt great. I love this so much that I am going to send it in "Berry" to my mother for mothers day. She's 76 now and unsless I'm there to apply sometimes something that is to Lip Stickie (is that a word)? ....can be a little over-whelming. I think she's going to love this product. I looks and feels great and will give her a little colour, that will be forgiving if she makes a little mistake when applying.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2012 6:34:00 PM More reviews by icepunkprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this in Heavenly Berry and it does not show up on my lips at all. Otherwise, though, this is a lovely balm. It is moisturizing, smells like cotton candy and the packaging is lovely.If you have pigmented lips, though, you'll probably want to pass on these.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm not usually sensitive to lip products but this one in particular makes my lips peel like crazy. It's unfortunate, because I really enjoy the smooth slick texture of these and the sheer color payoff and color selection. I picked up a couple when they first launched - Nourishing Nude and Caring Coral are my favorites. Tender Mauve is a slightly cooler dupe of Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy, IMO. The packaging is very pretty and I'm a fan of the slight fruity/ floral scent and I also appreciate lip products with spf... But again, it's unfortunate that my lips react negatively to something in these, otherwise they would be an HG item to throw in my makeup bag or purse.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 9:06:00 AM More reviews by gc2011

Got this on a whim in Tender Mauve - and I LOVE it!

It is a spot-on match for my natural lipcolor. The balm consistency moisturizes, adds shine, and has enough color to show up but look very natural. These lip balms feel amazing on, too, and they have spf 15. This particular color seems to go with everything, too.

I like this so much better than Revlon's Lip Butters. Revlon's product really dries my lips out when I use it often. :(

Will repurchase, and will buy more of these.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by bossanovaville

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am quite pleased with this product. It's actually much better than I anticipated. When I see the word "balm", I usually expect the product to offer very little. Other tinted balms I've tried have been too dry, too matte and/or undetectable. I didn't find those challenges with these (except for one).

I've noticed some reviewers stating the pigments are too sheer or non-existent. They are very sheer and subtle but I find some shades are more pigmented than others. I purchased Nourishing Nude, Tender Mauve and Heavenly Berry. The first thing I noticed was the texture. It glided on smoothly, felt comfortable and provided more moisturization than I expected. I would compare the feel of it to a soft chapstick but with more moisture and a lighter feel. I also like the level of shine. Certainly more shine than one would get from a chapstick, not as shiny as a gloss. Rather, I would describe it as a subtle sheen. The scent is not perfumey but faintly sweet, almost vanilla-like and very light. These balms also do not taste perfumey either. We inevitably ingest tiny amounts of lip products and I am personally very turned off by those that have a "perfumey make-up" taste to them. These do not taste like anything.

As for the color, while Tender Mauve surprisingly had more pigment than it would appear to, it was just a bit too cool for my skintone. Heavenly Berry was the sheerest of the three, which surprised me since it appeared to be one of the more intense shades. The color was almost undetectable, making it a $7 chapstick/lip moisturizer. Nourishing Nude is my favorite of the three. It has a nice neutral tone that gave me a sheer wash of color. So flattering and subtle.

These are great for everyday. Application is quick, easy and not messy. You could whip one of these out almost anywhere and quickly apply without really even needing a mirror. I'm not crazy about the packaging myself. I've never liked L'Oreal's lipstick tubes with the little notch in the lid. But the quality is good. I can toss these into my black hole of a handbag and not worry they'll crack or break. I would love to see a redesign of just the tube itself with a round fitted lid, similar to Clinique's Almost Lipstick tubes. Would make them less bulky and a bit more aesthetically pleasing, I feel.

Overall, I really like these. The look is very natural. When I look in the mirror, I don't see a coat of lipstick or the patent shine of a gloss. It just looks like my lips, only better (if that makes any sense).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by madeupmary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this product - I got it in Rose Elixir from a lovely MUAer along with some Revlon Lip Butters and I definitely prefer this product. It is much more moist than the Revlon Lip Butters which I find too drying. The pigmentation isn't great and I would love to try this in a few different colours to see what they look like on, but they feel amazing on your lips - not drying at all. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them in the UK, maybe they're only available in the US :(

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2012 12:36:00 AM More reviews by cosmic23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This caught my eye as I was browsing the L'oreal section. I'm a sucker for tinted glossy lip balm and quickly looked up reviews on MUA for this. While I read both good and bad reviews for this I decided to try it since I love glossy balms. I wouldn't call the consistency thin since it's smooth enough for you to rub your lips together after applying. It's actually really hard to find a tinted lip balm that isn't too dry that it accentuates all the flakes & lines on your lips. Color is a bit on the light side but it does show up, I imagine if it was any darker it wouldn't be so smooth and glossy. Everyone compliments it on the packaging and while I do love the main gold case (reminds of me YSL) I don't care too much for the see through cap. However most drugstore lipsticks have clear caps in order to show consumers the color but they could have included another solid color cap...oh wells...
The see through tinted caps does distort the actual color of the lipstick and although it wasn't a big difference when I got home and opened it I was slightly disappointed, so be prepared.
I didn't notice any sunscreen smell or anything disgusting, actually it has a light vanilla scent, very pleasant.
I haven't used it long enough to see if it does improve the condition of my lips but as long as it doesn't make it worst, I think I might go back to grab another color.

Update: still loving this but tried a few other colors like Nourishing Nude and Pink Satin, no color shows up. :( Also it looks as if they do not advertise this product containing SPF anymore, at least not on the cap or in the description.. bummer..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by froggrlily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I got the Plush Plum and Tender Mauve. I love the sweet, sugary smell of these lip balms and the slick, glossy feel they have on the lips. I think the hint of color they give is lovely. I don't usually wear lipstick because I don't like the intense coloring. These are a great option for somebody who only wants sheer color with their gloss.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 8:32:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

L'Oreal Color Riche Balms are slightly tinted, glossy balms available in 8 shades. I have Rose Elixir, the second lightest shade of the collection. Color Riche Balms have SPF 15 and contain Shea Butter as a moisturizing agent. Unfortunately L'Oreal products are tested on animals, and this balm contains non-vegan ingredients such as carmine. L'Oreal promises that this balm will give kissable, luscious color that will smooth the lips instantly, all while delivering 8 full hours of continuous hydration, resulting in lips that are softer and more supple. I'm having a hard time finding conclusive information about where L'Oreal products are made, but after some digging, I found that 20 of L'Oreal's 37 production plants are in France, 8 more in the US, so It's safe to assume that this product was made in one of those two countries. I purchased my Color Riche balm at Rite Aid for $3.75, with a $4 off coupon. The MSRP is $7.95, but I've seen prices vary from $5.25 to nearly $9, so these balms can get quite expensive.
May I say that the Color Riche balm's packaging is beautiful? It's so fancy and elegant! I give it 5 Quites. It looks so high end compared to most of it's drugstore counterparts. Lol I'm ranting about packaging again. A square, gold base with gold twist up mechanism is matched up with a pink, translucent, plastic cap that snaps on securely. The cap slants slightly and features the word "Balm" in gold lettering, written sideways. This packaging is a thing of beauty, but also functional and sturdy. I've dropped this tube onto concrete with not even a scratch of damage done.
In the tube, Rose Elixir appears to be a medium, neutral, rosy pink. However, once swatched onto the skin or lips, Rose Elixir shows it's true color; clear. There is a slight, super sheer pink tint, but it's negligible. If you have any natural pigmentation to your lips, this won't add any color, just a tad of glossiness. Don't get me wrong, the glossiness is pretty, and natural looking, but I was really disappointed with the near complete lack of color pay off. I mean it's called Color Riche. I assume that would mean it's rich in color, but I'm no French expert. Honestly, I don't feel like L'Oreal was upfront with how sheer their Color Riche balms are. Pretty sure they mentioned "luscious color" in their product overview. Luscious and Sheer are not synonyms. I have a feeling L'Oreal was trying to play on their Revlon Lip Butter fad with this product, but didn't bother to come up with as pigmented of a formula.

Despite failing in the color category, this is a pretty good balm. The texture of this balm is kinda a median between the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters, which to me, are dry and waxy, and the greasy, slippy texture of Maybelline's Baby Lips balm. On the lips, it wears very comfortably, like a smoother, more moisturizing Chapstick. After L'Oreal's balm has sunken in a bit, it feels like what healthy lips should feel like. Silky, smooth, and a little bit moist. It's really enjoyable.
But do you really get 8 hours of continuous hydration? Sure, if you apply this balm 3 or 4 times in that eight hour span. From one application though? No. It's really about two or three hours of moisture. I feel a definite need to reapply after hour three. I don't really mind though, in my opinion three hours is a good amount of wear for what is essentially a clear balm. Unfortunately, because of frequent reapplication, I'm going through Rose Elixir rather quickly, not that you get a ton of product in the first place.
L'Oreal claims that their Color Riche balms continue to condition the lips even after removal. Normally I'd totally discount a claim like that. It doesn't really make sense does it? But I kinda believe it. Even with fully bare lips, my lips look much smoother and healthier since I've started using this product. Impressed.
These balms don't have an assigned flavor, but they do have a taste. Rose Elixir has a light but noticeable sunscreen taste and smell, which I partially expected considering the SPF content. To me, it's mildly pleasant, but others might find it bothersome.
L'Oreal Color Riche Balms are one of those products that has so many pros and cons that I can't really give it an appropriate amount of praise or hate. It's one of those product that you have to take a (slightly expensive) risk on and try for yourself and form your own opinion on. This balm is beautiful, never have I had such a perfectly packaged product before, the moisture and conditioning it gives is fantastic, and it's natural, glossy shine is pretty, but the utter lack of color payoff is a total put off, along with the nearly eight buck price tag. Rose Elixir is a product I'll enjoy while I have it, but I won't be repurchasing, unless I have another $4 off coupon.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by hrab03

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is going back ASAP!! Why? OMG, the sunscreen smell/taste. I'm surprised that more people haven't commented or complained. When I first applied, I thought I had ~almost~ found a dupe on my beloved (HG) Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip balm that was d/c a few years back. Nice plum/fruit punch color, smooth, had SPF. Sadly, this wasn't. I love the color that I chose (something Plum). Sheer, plummy color. Nice and smooth, easily wearable. Fairly inexpensive. Wore it for about an hour and 'thought' I could hack the sunscreen smell/taste 'cause I liked the color that much. Nope. Can't. Do. It. Went to eat dinner and instead of yummy dinner, all I could taste was sunscreen! The reviewed who said that it tasted like you smeared Coppertone on your lip was dead on. Boo!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No