September 20, 2014 | 1843 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - E.L.F. - Studio Makeup Mist & Set Spray

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

ELF wonders if you "wish you could have a product for your makeup like hairspray for your hair? Keep your makeup staying in place all day with a radiance boosting, invisible hold with Makeup Mist&Set. The invigorating mist moisturizes and soothes the skin with key ingredients; aloe, green tea, cucumber, and vitamins A,C,&E. The lightweight, comfortable, and alcohol free formula improves makeup wearability and prevents colors from running or fading." If you didn't gather from the description, this is a setting spray. Setting sprays are a fairly new, trendy product that hasn't really caught on among drugstore brands yet, so when I wanted to try one for cheap, ELF's was really my only option. This setting spray is part of ELF's Studio line and retails for $3 for 2fl oz (60ml). This, and most ELF products, are vegan friendly and made in China. I purchased my bottle of Mist&Set at Target, but ELF products can also be bought from the brand's website, and at select Kmarts, Walmarts, Big Lots, and drug and dollar stores.
ELF's Makeup Mist&Set comes in a black cardboard box. The back of the box offers plenty of product info, including a product description, directions, and a full ingredient list. The product comes in a rectangular , recyclable, translucent black bottle. The name of the product and ELF logo are written on the bottle in white lettering, which is already starting to rub off. The bottle is topped off with a black spritzer that's pretty inappropriate for the product. This spritzer would be much better suited to a body spray or something. ELF's Makeup Mist&Set doesn't really mist as much as squirt, spritzing this setting spray on doesn't result in a fine, delicate mist, so much as an intense spurt of product that concentrates on just a few spots. I had heard about this problem in other reviews, but remained hopeful. Oh first spritz I was very shocked. This product is badly in need of a packaging redesign
I gotta be honest, this setting spray doesn't really do much for me. I've tried a few different application methods; spraying it straight on, doing little half spritzes, spraying it on to a cosmetic wedge and patting it on. Nothing really works out for me. I feel like instead of reducing powdery-ness or cakey-ness, ELF's Makeup Mist&Set makes my makeup look kinda splotchy. I can definitely see where the droplets have landed and ran down my face. The only way I've found to counteract the spotty application is to pat it in with a sponge immediately. That's an awful lot of work for a setting spray, isn't it? Especially one that barely reduces powdery makeup. I'm not really one to have problems with the wear of my foundation, so I can't speak for whether or not ELF's setting spray improves their wear time. I'm inclined to think it would, because it forms a slight film over the skin, which I assume would protect makeup from environmental factors. ELF's Makeup Mist&Set, despite it's alarming application, feels pleasant on the skin, it's very cooling.
I'm not a fan of ELF's Makeup Mist&Set. I don't feel like it does much, and it's application is kinda finicky. I think a lot of the product's problems stem from poor packaging. I think if anything, this setting spray would improve the longevity of makeup. If you're looking for a product to combat cake-face, look elsewhere. I would't repurchase or recommend this setting spray unless ELF repackages it. I'll keep this spray around for foiling eyeshadows, but I don't think I'll be using it on my face anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2013 4:37:00 AM More reviews by annafefifofanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This may have once had a smell but there is no smell now. It just smells fresh and basically like nothing at all there's like no scent. I love this and am slightly addicted to it. I had the MAC setting spray first and I was very careful with it because of how expensive it was I didn't want to waste it. I find that this product works THE SAME as the mac. Yes, they do the exact same thing for me. Neither perform miracles but I love that this is only $3 and I can just spray as I please..And believe me I do lol. I probably over do it a bit but I just love the freshness and I am paranoid about my face getting dry. Despite that, I have had it for almost a month and still have half a bottle. Although the MAC had a much better spray bottle and smelled incredible it's not worth paying so much more for the same affects.. I use this to set my foundation and such and it makes it feel fresher and reduce any cakey-ness. I don't find that it makes my makeup last any long but it is a God send when it comes to re-applying your makeup. It lets you apply more without any caky-ness. I don't care for the packaging, the spray bottle is more like a squirt bottle. It doesn't mist nicely on your face like the MAC does.. And it requires more squirts. I have to squirt about 3 squirts to get my entire face. A new bottle would be amazing but hey for $3 I am not going on strike or anything. Will be repurchasing, it's a must have for everyone :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by kristina93

This spray is amazing for finishing your makeup, taking away any powdery/cakey look and just refreshing your face in general. I use it twice when I apply my makeup and even though I spray this stuff on my face an insane amount, the bottle still manages to last me a good 2 months even though it's quite small. I have not tried UD all nighter or Skindinavia, but I don't even feel the need to because this does a great job!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by beautyforless

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had really been wanting a setting spray, but when I went to look at MAC's Fix +, the price tag scared me away. I spied ELF's $3 one and thought "Why not?"
I love it. It really helps set my makeup and take away any powderiness on my face. I will say that if you overdo it, it can melt your makeup off, but only slightly. Still, be careful. Spray about 12 to 16 inches away from your face, or just spray onto a sponge tip applicator and lightly press it onto your skin. I do both and get a lovely finish. Some have complained about the smell, but I don't notice a thing. Perhaps ELF took out the scent? Either way, I definetly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by kaylapantz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

In love with this! It helps my make up last all day and makes my face look glowy. It has absolutely no scent to me, it smells like water. I love the packaging (black bottle) it actually looks sleek and nice. I gave it 4 lips only because its kind of hard to spray correctly, you have to spray it hard enough, and I tend to get only half of my face every time. But other than that, it dries quickly, its perfect to me!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by sugary_sweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is phenomenal. It's the only reason I'm able to pull off a full face of makeup that actually lasts with my oily skin. It's a lifesaver, a godsend! Would I buy this again? Of course!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Cocoa28

I love Elf mist and set spray. I'll recommend this to anyone.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Sweryn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This seemed to fix my makeup somewhat, but was too drying on my skin so I stopped using it. I prefer fixing my makeup with thermal water.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Xaephan

The product itself isn't bad, but it's not great either. I'm actually not too sure if it works for setting make up, because I don't really notice a difference if I wear it or not. It does make powders not so cakey looking, but the nozzle isn't as good as it should be. It spits out giant beads sometimes and messes up my powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by msog177

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a terrific setting spray. The MOST important trick for it however is to transfer the spray into a better bottle. The original bottle is SO ineffective. It sprays terribly, almost like a watergun. Not good at all. I transferred this spray into a better spray bottle (buy an atomizer on ebay or a cheap drugstore spray bottle) and it works like magic. It makes my oily face look dewey and cakey makeup is no longer a problem. I use tit right after I put on my foundation and it seals it so well, that I don't even need to use powder. Yes, the spray smells terrible but it is terrific for making makeup last longer. I love it... in a different bottle, of course.