October 22, 2014 | 1975 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2013 4:12:00 PM More reviews by planetnars

I have oily lids and I decided to give this primer a try about 6 months ago since Urban Decay primer seemed to mud my colors. I thought this primer was really great during the time I used it, though there were a few drawbacks. The first thing is that my lids would look a bit dry, I assumed this was normal and dry lids at least weren't oily lids. The other, is I noticed some of my eyeshadow didn't blend very smoothly over it. I knew it was the primer because I didn't have the same blending issues when I had used Urban Decay, or the shadow on its own. This helped my eyeshadow to stay in place all day and didn't seem to muddle any of the colors so I was happy to overlook that. However, recently I noticed my dry lids looked just plain crepey now after regular use with the primer on. They had become itchy as well. I found a new primer and came to realize what I was missing with the NARS. Overall, this is an average primer. It will keep your makeup in place and the product lasts a long time for the price but it's far from the best option out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 6:16:00 PM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only eyeshadow base that keeps my eyelids from getting oily during the day. I have tried Urban Decay primer potion, Mac paint pot and they don't work on me at all. My eyeshadows would crease before noon! This actually kept my eyelids matt for most part of the day. I apply this at 7am and by maybe 6pm, i can see a tiny bit of shine. Not the usual coat of grease in the fold of my crease though.

This is fragrance free, a major plus for me. The texture is very lightweight and upon application, my lids feels dry and matt and does not feel silky/silicony like UDPP. It gives my eyeshadow a just applied look all day. Its also clear and colourless.

I would repurchase this forever, its really hard for me to find something that works. If this works for me, it'll work for anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 6:39:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have tried my fair share of eye primers and nothing seemed to cut it for my extremely oily lids. That is until I tried NARS. I will never go back to anything else after using this product. It works wonders for my makeup! I can finally apply eyeshadow without it creasing and looking like shit after two hours. This is worth every penny.

Only negative thing I have to say is about the packaging. I feel like it's a bit unsanitary, as you put the wand back into the tube after each use. I'm a bit of a germ freak, so I'm worried about bacteria buildage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by graceybaby8

I have slick lids that somehow gets oily throughout the day.
No matter what I do, no shadow, liner or mascara stays on... They always smudge!
I was a UD primer potion user for many years which worked fine. I also tried too faced shadow insurance in all of their types from the original to the lemon drop and which that made my eyelids oiler!!!
With Nars somehow with their formula my eyeliner stays and so does my mascara! No more smudging for me!
My only complaint is the packaging. I was it was a squeeze tube instead of the doe footed.

Update: ok I'm back to using my UDPP. I just couldnt stand the doe footed applicator. I didn't like the idea of sticking something on my eyelid and putting it back into the tube.
After a while, even when I religiously cleansed my eyes prior to applying this primer, I found my nars eye primer started to get a slightly different smell to when I first got it. And the white doe footed applucator became discoloured too. I would buy it again if the packaging changes to a squeeze tube... But for now, I'm sticking to my UDPP.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Makeupskinguru

Better than Urban decay !!!! I have super oily lids , so this stuff is a God-send!! It never get dry or cakey unlike UDPP , and you only need a thin layer ! HG MATERIAL !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 10:00:00 AM More reviews by citylady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is better than anything else I've tried - (Trish Mcevoy, Edward Bess) I would often use BB's cream shadow in shore as a base. everything would crease by the afternoon. Not this. It's colorless so if your eyelids are red or uneven it won't help that but I don't mind. My eyeshadow not only doesn't crease by late afternoon, it doesn't fade either. I don't have oily lids but my shadow always creases after a while and my liner fades away. before I started using this. I do use powder over this before applying eye shadow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Clarabella3982

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is absolutely the one for oily lids. I am probably the oiliest person around and live in a humid climate, so this is the best for all day long eyeshadow staying power. I also blink a lot (bad habit) and eye makeup stays put! I only wish I could find a face primer as good as this....

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by smm9032

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm pretty happy with this product. I have tried many shadow primers, including UDPP and TFSI. UDPP used to work amazingly well for me. However, after it was repackaged, I no longer find it to be as effective. This has been a pretty good replacement. I tried it originally because of the excellent reviews and I am happy that I did. It keeps my eye makeup on well. I will notice some slight wear after about 5-6 hours, but that is pretty decent for me and my oily eyelids. I'm not in love with the wand packaging, but its something that I can live with. The price is slightly more than what I normally pay for shadow primer, but only by a few dollars. All in all, I am happy with my purchase. I will buy again when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2013 11:59:00 AM More reviews by serrabird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally, I found my HG in eye primers. Having a wide range of products that disappointed me over the years, I was highly sceptical at first but I'm blown away. This is THE ONE. I have the gamut, UDPP, TFSI, Mally, Chanel, Mac, Illamasqua, Revlon, blah blah. The famous UDPP goes on patchy and the base eyeshadow goes on patchy as well, also the makeup becomes really difficult to blend no matter what you use as a base colour. TFSI is way too drying so that my eyes look puffy and 15 years older. Enter Nars PP. It is how an eyeshadow primer should be: Silky, never drying, very easy to apply, sets easily, blendable onto the skin, the color adheres but can still be blended, doesn't smudge or budge or crease or gather in patches.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by doocaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a long-time user of UDPP, and thought that was the best formula on the market. Then I tried NARS. Wow, this stuff is the gold standard. It's got a slightly tacky consistency that UD's didn't have, but that makes it even better as a base. And somehow the tackiness dries down and doesn't result in creasing. I get perfect, all-day wear from my shadows when I layer tham over Pro-Prime base. The tube is well designed, you can actually effectively use the product inside without resorting to slicing it up (not so with the UD wand style tube). The little doe-foot applicator is a little bit chubby, so it's the perfect shape and size for getting the primer from tube to eyelid. High praise for this product!