August 28, 2014 | 1129 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2009 6:49:00 PM More reviews by Raygirl007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

No way this is "all-in-one"! It is slightly less dry than the other 2 step lipcolors but without a topcoat is sticky and comes off on your teeth! Every time you talk or eat your lips stick. Yuck. I got this on a BOGO sale at Ulta and had a $5.00 off coupon too so am not out much, but L'Oreal "Infallible" is a million times better!. On the plus side, you get alot of color because there is no clear gloss taking up half the tube. (I plan to use it with a topcoat just like the others.)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

I have this in Superb Sangria and it's a gorgeous reddish-pink colour. When I used the wand to apply it on my lips, the colour was too dramatic (for my liking), matte, and too dry. What I've learned to do is to appply a few 'dots' on my lips with the wand, and then spread it out with my finger. This way I have more control of the colour and the application. It looks more like a stain. Then I apply a clear gloss or my HG lip balm MAC Suntints Spf 20 in Full of Grace on top, and the result is fabulous - long lasting colour with the perfect glossy/balmy texture which is very comfortable. This is how I maneuvered the dryness, parchness, and the wrinkled look caused by this lipstick. Will repurchase again as I love this colour. EDIT: Wouldn't repurchase because I'm too lazy to do this extra steop, so dropped it to 1 lippie because the product itself is not worth repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 10:36:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with the other comments that this is certainly not the moist, comfortable "one-step miracle" the ads make it out to be. I do find it somewhat less drying than other paint-on longwearing lippies (like CG Outlast and Maybelline Superstay) but there is no way I'm lasting more than about an hour with this stuff without having to swipe on some balm or gloss for comfort.

I do think the color selection is pretty-- Revlon has the best color range of all the drugstore brands, and the Ultimate lineup includes a lot of sophisticated pearlescent shades. I got the bonus 2-pack with Mocha and Truffle. Mocha in particular is great on me (I'm a fair redhead), a warm reddish copper. I've used a regular clear lipgloss with this, as well as chapstick-type balms, and either one helps moisten up the color to the point where it's wearable. I find that even without a topcoat, the color easily wipes off with a napkin and will come off on forks, cups, etc. in tiny amounts. It doesn't come off when I kiss my hubby, though.

All in all, this is a not-bad but not-special longwearing lipcolor that has all the limitations of the products that came before it. **EDIT 7/10: Took off one lippie from the rating because I notice that if I wear this product for more than a couple days in a row, I get terribly chapped and peeling lips, even if I use a balm over it. I smiled the other night and my lower lip began bleeding, and the skin on my upper lip peeled off in a sheet. I am becoming a bit suspicious of the chemicals in this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2009 3:07:00 PM More reviews by mbellej

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually do not buy Revlon products and this was during one of my weak moments where colour enticed me to buy. I hate the smell of Revlon lip products. No doubt it lasted and took forever to come off but I will never buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/14/2009 8:01:00 PM More reviews by MERP

Got these in a two-for-one packaged deal at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (of all places!). The Raisin shade and the Nude shade. I really like each of these colors.

After the first application of the day, with smooth clean lips, all is well for a while (if I put plain Chapstick on top--I can't imagine not putting a balm on it--other reviewers have gone into detail about the bad dry texture). But I find that a reapplication during the day is bad news. Any roughness of your lips will be magnified, and it doesn't apply smoothly where there is remaining color from before.

I am happy enough with this product as my first "walk out the door" lipstick of the day, but only apply it once a day and any subsequent lipstick application is another more moisturizing product or gloss. Won't repurchase because I know these two tubes will last a long time and I don't think the formula is all that wonderful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I must agree w/ Olivine below me - I am a complete devotee to long-wearing lipsticks (year round) and lip glosses (summer) - I don't even bother w/ any other kind anymore. I was so intrigued w/ Revlon's claim that the topcoat is included - ummm - NOT!! As Olivine stated - my lips, while they retained good color all day - were parched from the minute the color set:

PROS - (1) the color doesn't transfer and lasts all day (translation 9 hours for me - not as long as L'Oreal Infallible Lipstick which lasts 14 hours, but it does last the entire workday); (2) easy to find in most drugstores and mass market stores; (3) price - I found comparable to other ds lipsticks.

CONS - (1) DRY, parched lips - I use my CG Outlast or L'Oreal topcoat (you know - the clear one that comes w/ their long wearing lip products) which defeats the purpose of an all-in-one = won't purchase again when I can get longer lasting results from CG and L'Oreal.

I will use up the 2 bottles I have (I use Royal Raisen on my top lip and before it drys/sets, I apply Iconic Iris on my lower lip and mush together to create a nice, mauvey color that isn't too dark, not too light. The RR is too dark IMO for my fair skin and the II is too light unless I have a tan, but the 2 colors combined are lovely) but I won't re-purchase and shame on Revlon for their false claim of not needing a topcoat!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Olivine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In general, I'm not a big fan of lipstick but when I do wear it I prefer long wearing formulas as I hate having to constantly reapply several times a day. I've tried a few long wearing formulas but when I saw this product on sale for only $7 Canadian I had to give it a shot.

The good: Provided that you apply it to clean, dry, smooth lips and let it set properly this lipstick really does stay on, all day. Yup even through eating and drinking ( as long as it isn't super greasy) and pretty much any other type of activity. The only way to get this off is with baby oil or plain vaseline or one of those dual phase makeup removers.

Not only is this product reasonably priced (and you get a good amount of it I might add), it comes in a good range of beautiful shades. Everything from nudes to deep browns, corals, true reds, pinks, berries and plums. Some are shimmery and some are not.

And now....

The bad: While I like the staying power and shades, I simply hate how this lipstick looks on me and the way it feels. Which is in a word, artificial. The finish is incredibly dry, no gloss whatsoever and makes my lips look wrinkled, shrivelled and downright parched. I admit I was suckered in by the fact that Revlon advertised that this was 'the first truly long wearing lip colour with the topcoat built right in'. Uh, YEAH RIGHT.

I have used Revlon's Colorstay Overtime lipcolour in the past along with Cover Girl Outlast and I like them much better. Why? Because that glossy topcoat that they come with which you are supposed to slick on to add a natural looking finish and comfort to your lips makes them look and feel better! As this product is lacking it all I'm left with is wrinkly, old looking, desert dry lips. Buying this product is the equivalent to buying the rather drying yet very long-wearing coloured portion of a CG Outlast, Revlon Overtime or Maybelline Superstay lipstick without the gloss/balm portion. Pretty pointless imo unless you want super uncomfortable, fake looking lips all day.

Sure I suppose I could just use the topcoat from one of those products with this. But I thought I didn't need to?!? Again, this is supposed to be the 'ultimate' long wearing lipcolour. Not impressed...this product is not at all what it claims to be.

Nice idea Revlon but I think you flunked out miserably on this one. Repackage these super pretty shades as additions to your Overtime lipcolour and pair them up with a nice glossy topcoat or comfort balm of some kind so I can wear them comfortably. Then and only then, would I repurchase.

Ingredients, straight from the package!

Isododecane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Propylene Carbonate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Methicone, Sorbic Acid, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Carmine (CI 75470)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by mcooper72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really was happy the with the product. I found out that if you tend to glob it all on at one time...it is not that forgiving. But if you you put light layers on and build the colors, they do not take long to dry and then use a clear liquid lip gloss and coat over it lightly...it last great for me. It is by far the best "color staying" lip color I have used. Others have left my lips dry and flaky and begging for moisture....like the lip tints...they sound great...but not on me... :-( I hope those of you that do not care for it, maybe try light building layers. Maybe it might work better for you. It did me!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

Absolutely horrendous! I couldn't wait to get this off! It goes on kind of sticky and then dries down and remains sticky (if that makes sense). It sucked the moisture out of my lips in a matter of minutes. It felt like I had dry saran wrap on my lips.
Yuck!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2009 6:26:00 PM More reviews by breeknee

Colors: Iconic Iris (a shimmery, pinky-nude that is very lightly on the lilac side), and Brilliant Bordeaux (a perfect marriage of fushcia and crimson, like an electric wine shade that is lightly metallic)

Pro's: Tons of product, usually on sale at the drugstore for BOGO, so around $5 a piece, packaging is nice with clear tube so you can see the true color when purchasing. Lasts for hours (even through eating a vinegarette dressing salad). The color is sheer enough that even the dark Brilliant Bordeaux isn't overpowering on my NC15 skin.

Con's: Feels a bit drying. Almost as bad as those double-ended colorstay products but not quite that bad. I throw a balm over top or a gloss and it is fine. To me, this isn't really a con because then I can control the finish and the feel of this lipstick, but still have the pro of the longwear and the nice color. It is almost like a basecoat of color and then I can decide what topcoat finish I want.