April 21, 2014 | 1897 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I must agree w/ Olivine below me - I am a complete devotee to long-wearing lipsticks (year round) and lip glosses (summer) - I don't even bother w/ any other kind anymore. I was so intrigued w/ Revlon's claim that the topcoat is included - ummm - NOT!! As Olivine stated - my lips, while they retained good color all day - were parched from the minute the color set:

PROS - (1) the color doesn't transfer and lasts all day (translation 9 hours for me - not as long as L'Oreal Infallible Lipstick which lasts 14 hours, but it does last the entire workday); (2) easy to find in most drugstores and mass market stores; (3) price - I found comparable to other ds lipsticks.

CONS - (1) DRY, parched lips - I use my CG Outlast or L'Oreal topcoat (you know - the clear one that comes w/ their long wearing lip products) which defeats the purpose of an all-in-one = won't purchase again when I can get longer lasting results from CG and L'Oreal.

I will use up the 2 bottles I have (I use Royal Raisen on my top lip and before it drys/sets, I apply Iconic Iris on my lower lip and mush together to create a nice, mauvey color that isn't too dark, not too light. The RR is too dark IMO for my fair skin and the II is too light unless I have a tan, but the 2 colors combined are lovely) but I won't re-purchase and shame on Revlon for their false claim of not needing a topcoat!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Olivine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In general, I'm not a big fan of lipstick but when I do wear it I prefer long wearing formulas as I hate having to constantly reapply several times a day. I've tried a few long wearing formulas but when I saw this product on sale for only $7 Canadian I had to give it a shot.

The good: Provided that you apply it to clean, dry, smooth lips and let it set properly this lipstick really does stay on, all day. Yup even through eating and drinking ( as long as it isn't super greasy) and pretty much any other type of activity. The only way to get this off is with baby oil or plain vaseline or one of those dual phase makeup removers.

Not only is this product reasonably priced (and you get a good amount of it I might add), it comes in a good range of beautiful shades. Everything from nudes to deep browns, corals, true reds, pinks, berries and plums. Some are shimmery and some are not.

And now....

The bad: While I like the staying power and shades, I simply hate how this lipstick looks on me and the way it feels. Which is in a word, artificial. The finish is incredibly dry, no gloss whatsoever and makes my lips look wrinkled, shrivelled and downright parched. I admit I was suckered in by the fact that Revlon advertised that this was 'the first truly long wearing lip colour with the topcoat built right in'. Uh, YEAH RIGHT.

I have used Revlon's Colorstay Overtime lipcolour in the past along with Cover Girl Outlast and I like them much better. Why? Because that glossy topcoat that they come with which you are supposed to slick on to add a natural looking finish and comfort to your lips makes them look and feel better! As this product is lacking it all I'm left with is wrinkly, old looking, desert dry lips. Buying this product is the equivalent to buying the rather drying yet very long-wearing coloured portion of a CG Outlast, Revlon Overtime or Maybelline Superstay lipstick without the gloss/balm portion. Pretty pointless imo unless you want super uncomfortable, fake looking lips all day.

Sure I suppose I could just use the topcoat from one of those products with this. But I thought I didn't need to?!? Again, this is supposed to be the 'ultimate' long wearing lipcolour. Not impressed...this product is not at all what it claims to be.

Nice idea Revlon but I think you flunked out miserably on this one. Repackage these super pretty shades as additions to your Overtime lipcolour and pair them up with a nice glossy topcoat or comfort balm of some kind so I can wear them comfortably. Then and only then, would I repurchase.

Ingredients, straight from the package!

Isododecane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Propylene Carbonate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Methicone, Sorbic Acid, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Carmine (CI 75470)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by mcooper72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really was happy the with the product. I found out that if you tend to glob it all on at one time...it is not that forgiving. But if you you put light layers on and build the colors, they do not take long to dry and then use a clear liquid lip gloss and coat over it lightly...it last great for me. It is by far the best "color staying" lip color I have used. Others have left my lips dry and flaky and begging for moisture....like the lip tints...they sound great...but not on me... :-( I hope those of you that do not care for it, maybe try light building layers. Maybe it might work better for you. It did me!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

Absolutely horrendous! I couldn't wait to get this off! It goes on kind of sticky and then dries down and remains sticky (if that makes sense). It sucked the moisture out of my lips in a matter of minutes. It felt like I had dry saran wrap on my lips.
Yuck!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2009 6:26:00 PM More reviews by breeknee

Colors: Iconic Iris (a shimmery, pinky-nude that is very lightly on the lilac side), and Brilliant Bordeaux (a perfect marriage of fushcia and crimson, like an electric wine shade that is lightly metallic)

Pro's: Tons of product, usually on sale at the drugstore for BOGO, so around $5 a piece, packaging is nice with clear tube so you can see the true color when purchasing. Lasts for hours (even through eating a vinegarette dressing salad). The color is sheer enough that even the dark Brilliant Bordeaux isn't overpowering on my NC15 skin.

Con's: Feels a bit drying. Almost as bad as those double-ended colorstay products but not quite that bad. I throw a balm over top or a gloss and it is fine. To me, this isn't really a con because then I can control the finish and the feel of this lipstick, but still have the pro of the longwear and the nice color. It is almost like a basecoat of color and then I can decide what topcoat finish I want.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2009 2:59:00 PM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Usually I keep products I don't really like in case I'll change my mind later, but this one went straight in the trash can.
I bought the peachy shade (I think). It looked OK right after I applied it, but soon after that...ughh. I don't know what was worse, the sticky feel on my lips or the fact that it disappeared very quickly, leaving some nasty patchy residue behind. I don't know how come it works for some people, but it was horrible on me (and yes, I followed the instructions). I think the concept is interesting, but they really need to work some more on the quality.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2009 3:09:00 AM More reviews by holohoor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this after hearing good things about it, but all it managed to do was irritate me [with the potential for humiliation]. The shade I tried was Brilliant Bordeaux, which doesn't really matter for this review except for noting that it's a bold colour.

Usually, when I'm looking for a long lasting lippie it's for a night of drinking, where I'd like to look as presentable as I can while not worrying about my appearance or touch-ups. This was NOT my experience with this so-called ultimate liquid lipstick. Aside from being dry and gritty, it flaked off -and quite unevenly. I tried it on bare, dry lips and on blotted chapstick and it doesn't stay put. Here's the kicker... the only place it WOULD NOT come off of was my teeth! After painstaking application to make it even and as tidy as possible, I did the little finger trick and forgot about it, only to find on my next visit to the bathroom that it was only on the outer edges of my mouth and my teeth. And there it STUCK as a patchy outer ring and nice red chunks on my teeth that wouldn't rub off for anything. Believe me, I am soooooo thankful I was only wearing it around the house.

This colorstay stays on your teeth, and that's never an attractive look.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2009 2:41:00 AM More reviews by cmerenarc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I chose Premium Pink.This lip color came out nicely at first. However, when it began to dry its true nature shocked me.
It was the stickiest, most unbearably un-kissable, and terrifyingly tacky lip color ever. My lips stuck together as I spoke. It was a sheer disaster. My first instinct was to pull out
my makeup remover and get rid of this awkward gooey mess, however it would not budge.

The color lasts when you'd prefer if it went away.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2009 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sweetgermangirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is nowhere near as good as the original Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor. It managed to feel tacky and dry at the same time - very uncomfortable. The only good thing I can say is the that the colour was true to the tube.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by KatieRoxx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a BOGO at CVS on this and also used a coupon to get some more $$ off. Goes on like a lipgloss, but instantly turns into a lipstick. Feels very tacky on lips when first applied. But this stuff stays on FOREVER. I just wanted to test out the color when I got it home, but even after applying makeup remover and scrubbing lips with a washcloth, the Top Tomato color was not budging at all.

Wore the plum color to dinner and it held up pretty well. There was some slight color transfer after eating and drinking for several hours, but you could still see some color when I got home at end of the night.

I could see how this might dry out lips, especially in the winter. Given I paid about $6.50 each for these, the staying power and color choices alone give it a good-to-average review. But I would not pay full price for one of these because of the initial tacky feeling on the lips and the potential for leaving lips feeling quite dry in the winter.