September 17, 2014 | 1927 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2009 6:23:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Have to concur with Ouija,this stuff IS drying as all get out.I picked "Maximum Mocha" and while I was impressed with the shade I felt as though it was lacking something.It was-moisture! I'm only 37 but my lips looked as though I had been smoking 4 packs a day for 50 years.Not flattering.
The Colorstay lipsticks-the regular ones-are fabulous;I don't know as they LAST as long as the painted on version,but my lips stay supple.Come to think of it,the matte shades aren't as drying as the Ultimate...At any rate,if I'm going to go with a long wearing color I'll pick NYC or American Beauty (as a splurge.)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by ouija

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been wearing Cover Girl Outlast and Max Factor Lipfinity since they launched about 50 years ago. Seriously...I've never worn any other lip product since. I love longwear lipcolor and luckily my lips handle them very well. My local CVS had a two-fer on Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was intrigued by the fact that they were one-step (meaning no glossy topcoat), and matte. I bought the set that contained #80 and #90.

In a word...ugh. The colors are deeply pigmented and vibrant, but with a kind of metallic undertone which I don't really care for. The formulas seem a bit thin, and lack the creaminess of the CG and MF longwear lipcolors. One more minor quibble: the wands seem a bit longer than most and I found them harder to control. YMMV.

They are amazingly dry...they feel dry and look dry. My lips looked wrinkled and puckered and shrunken after about an hour. But I have to admit, the color lasted through cups of coffee and a full breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. :-) And lasted the rest of the day with no problem.

I guess I could have slicked some gloss on top...but that's not what this lipcolor is billed as. Overall, ColorStay gives you great color that does stay...but after 15 minutes you wish it would go. It's uncomfortable and unflattering and aging. Revlon, read my dry lips: No thanks.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2009 5:42:00 PM More reviews by sll74

i came to write a negative review for this product. it was awful on my lips. it's the end of the day and there's still color but my lips look wrinkled, not full and luscious like normal. i do LOVE the color. it's perfect but this lipstick feels whack. if i press my lips together it feels gummy as the day wore on i just felt like every drop of moisture was zapped from my lips. i got this as part of a 2 for $8 on all revlon products. the other product i bought was fabulash mascara which i adore. after reading other reviews i realize my expectations for this were off. i bought it on the basis of color alone. the color is beautiful. i have the bordeaux color. i wouldn't dream of reapplying anything over this but based on the other reviews i am going to give it another try tomorrow with a lipgloss over it to see if i get lasting color that doesn't feel so awful. if that doesn't work i'll return this. either way once this is out, i won't repurchase but i will look for a similar shade in mac which is typically the line of lip color i wear.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2009 6:49:00 PM More reviews by Raygirl007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

No way this is "all-in-one"! It is slightly less dry than the other 2 step lipcolors but without a topcoat is sticky and comes off on your teeth! Every time you talk or eat your lips stick. Yuck. I got this on a BOGO sale at Ulta and had a $5.00 off coupon too so am not out much, but L'Oreal "Infallible" is a million times better!. On the plus side, you get alot of color because there is no clear gloss taking up half the tube. (I plan to use it with a topcoat just like the others.)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

I have this in Superb Sangria and it's a gorgeous reddish-pink colour. When I used the wand to apply it on my lips, the colour was too dramatic (for my liking), matte, and too dry. What I've learned to do is to appply a few 'dots' on my lips with the wand, and then spread it out with my finger. This way I have more control of the colour and the application. It looks more like a stain. Then I apply a clear gloss or my HG lip balm MAC Suntints Spf 20 in Full of Grace on top, and the result is fabulous - long lasting colour with the perfect glossy/balmy texture which is very comfortable. This is how I maneuvered the dryness, parchness, and the wrinkled look caused by this lipstick. Will repurchase again as I love this colour. EDIT: Wouldn't repurchase because I'm too lazy to do this extra steop, so dropped it to 1 lippie because the product itself is not worth repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 10:36:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with the other comments that this is certainly not the moist, comfortable "one-step miracle" the ads make it out to be. I do find it somewhat less drying than other paint-on longwearing lippies (like CG Outlast and Maybelline Superstay) but there is no way I'm lasting more than about an hour with this stuff without having to swipe on some balm or gloss for comfort.

I do think the color selection is pretty-- Revlon has the best color range of all the drugstore brands, and the Ultimate lineup includes a lot of sophisticated pearlescent shades. I got the bonus 2-pack with Mocha and Truffle. Mocha in particular is great on me (I'm a fair redhead), a warm reddish copper. I've used a regular clear lipgloss with this, as well as chapstick-type balms, and either one helps moisten up the color to the point where it's wearable. I find that even without a topcoat, the color easily wipes off with a napkin and will come off on forks, cups, etc. in tiny amounts. It doesn't come off when I kiss my hubby, though.

All in all, this is a not-bad but not-special longwearing lipcolor that has all the limitations of the products that came before it. **EDIT 7/10: Took off one lippie from the rating because I notice that if I wear this product for more than a couple days in a row, I get terribly chapped and peeling lips, even if I use a balm over it. I smiled the other night and my lower lip began bleeding, and the skin on my upper lip peeled off in a sheet. I am becoming a bit suspicious of the chemicals in this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2009 3:07:00 PM More reviews by mbellej

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually do not buy Revlon products and this was during one of my weak moments where colour enticed me to buy. I hate the smell of Revlon lip products. No doubt it lasted and took forever to come off but I will never buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/14/2009 8:01:00 PM More reviews by MERP

Got these in a two-for-one packaged deal at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (of all places!). The Raisin shade and the Nude shade. I really like each of these colors.

After the first application of the day, with smooth clean lips, all is well for a while (if I put plain Chapstick on top--I can't imagine not putting a balm on it--other reviewers have gone into detail about the bad dry texture). But I find that a reapplication during the day is bad news. Any roughness of your lips will be magnified, and it doesn't apply smoothly where there is remaining color from before.

I am happy enough with this product as my first "walk out the door" lipstick of the day, but only apply it once a day and any subsequent lipstick application is another more moisturizing product or gloss. Won't repurchase because I know these two tubes will last a long time and I don't think the formula is all that wonderful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I must agree w/ Olivine below me - I am a complete devotee to long-wearing lipsticks (year round) and lip glosses (summer) - I don't even bother w/ any other kind anymore. I was so intrigued w/ Revlon's claim that the topcoat is included - ummm - NOT!! As Olivine stated - my lips, while they retained good color all day - were parched from the minute the color set:

PROS - (1) the color doesn't transfer and lasts all day (translation 9 hours for me - not as long as L'Oreal Infallible Lipstick which lasts 14 hours, but it does last the entire workday); (2) easy to find in most drugstores and mass market stores; (3) price - I found comparable to other ds lipsticks.

CONS - (1) DRY, parched lips - I use my CG Outlast or L'Oreal topcoat (you know - the clear one that comes w/ their long wearing lip products) which defeats the purpose of an all-in-one = won't purchase again when I can get longer lasting results from CG and L'Oreal.

I will use up the 2 bottles I have (I use Royal Raisen on my top lip and before it drys/sets, I apply Iconic Iris on my lower lip and mush together to create a nice, mauvey color that isn't too dark, not too light. The RR is too dark IMO for my fair skin and the II is too light unless I have a tan, but the 2 colors combined are lovely) but I won't re-purchase and shame on Revlon for their false claim of not needing a topcoat!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Olivine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In general, I'm not a big fan of lipstick but when I do wear it I prefer long wearing formulas as I hate having to constantly reapply several times a day. I've tried a few long wearing formulas but when I saw this product on sale for only $7 Canadian I had to give it a shot.

The good: Provided that you apply it to clean, dry, smooth lips and let it set properly this lipstick really does stay on, all day. Yup even through eating and drinking ( as long as it isn't super greasy) and pretty much any other type of activity. The only way to get this off is with baby oil or plain vaseline or one of those dual phase makeup removers.

Not only is this product reasonably priced (and you get a good amount of it I might add), it comes in a good range of beautiful shades. Everything from nudes to deep browns, corals, true reds, pinks, berries and plums. Some are shimmery and some are not.

And now....

The bad: While I like the staying power and shades, I simply hate how this lipstick looks on me and the way it feels. Which is in a word, artificial. The finish is incredibly dry, no gloss whatsoever and makes my lips look wrinkled, shrivelled and downright parched. I admit I was suckered in by the fact that Revlon advertised that this was 'the first truly long wearing lip colour with the topcoat built right in'. Uh, YEAH RIGHT.

I have used Revlon's Colorstay Overtime lipcolour in the past along with Cover Girl Outlast and I like them much better. Why? Because that glossy topcoat that they come with which you are supposed to slick on to add a natural looking finish and comfort to your lips makes them look and feel better! As this product is lacking it all I'm left with is wrinkly, old looking, desert dry lips. Buying this product is the equivalent to buying the rather drying yet very long-wearing coloured portion of a CG Outlast, Revlon Overtime or Maybelline Superstay lipstick without the gloss/balm portion. Pretty pointless imo unless you want super uncomfortable, fake looking lips all day.

Sure I suppose I could just use the topcoat from one of those products with this. But I thought I didn't need to?!? Again, this is supposed to be the 'ultimate' long wearing lipcolour. Not impressed...this product is not at all what it claims to be.

Nice idea Revlon but I think you flunked out miserably on this one. Repackage these super pretty shades as additions to your Overtime lipcolour and pair them up with a nice glossy topcoat or comfort balm of some kind so I can wear them comfortably. Then and only then, would I repurchase.

Ingredients, straight from the package!

Isododecane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Propylene Carbonate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Methicone, Sorbic Acid, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Carmine (CI 75470)