July 30, 2014 | 1873 users online

Makeup Brushes - Bare Escentuals - Kabuki Brush

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2009 5:17:00 PM More reviews by hathor2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'll probably just echo the previous bad comments about this kabuki brush. Mine is not only scratchy, it sheds, and bristles aren't as dense as my body shop kabuki. that being this BE kabuki doesn't pick up as much powder as my other kabuki. I have to do twice as much buffing compared to when I use my body shop synthetic kabuki brush.
this is a waste of $28.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 5:31:00 AM More reviews by sweetdase

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like using this brush. It does give full coverage on my face when I use the foundation. But like all brushes, eventually some of the bristles may fall out over time. I've had mine for over 2 years now and it seems to be working well still. I guess it also depends how many times you wash it. But I think it works well for me. (Maybe I got lucky?) Overall, I think it's a good brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2009 3:48:00 AM More reviews by Mees

I can't imagine who would want to purchase this alone for 28$ !.. this brush came for free with the purchase of the regular size bare minerals foundation when purchased online, so I was glad I didn't have to pay extra for this. So far, I've washed it once.. and from reading reviews.. people have mentioned the brush turning harder after more washes.. So I'm a bit worried about how it will turn out later on.. However.. my brush currently is working excellently. It provides the coverage I need, blends out the foundation equally around my face, and is soft enough for my skin to handle. I do agree with everyone else, it sheds horribly! However, it doesn't scratch my skin.. I find it rather to be soft.. Although there are brushes out there that are softer. Lost a lippie because the handle is too short! I prefer more space area when applying makeup..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Dori319

soo i know most people hate this brush probably because it sheds everytime you use it (hence such a low rating) buuuuttt. i love this brush. i got it in the starter kit that comes with all the basics for your face. it doesnt shed on my shirt when i put on my makeup but it usually just brushes right off anyways (but mostly i wear cotton tops that it wont make a mess on) but if i am dressing up nice and have a nice outfit that im planning to wear i just do my makeup first and get dressed after. no big deal. the shedding of the brush doesnt really bother me cause with a few swipes of you hand it comes off and i really love how evenly it distributes the makeup on my face. the other face brush (forget what its called) that came with the same set that has a long handle was really rough on my face and didnt feel nice at all so i never use that and this one just feel really nice, soft, and soothing on my face (which is very sensitive) so i gave it for lippies (-1 for that not so bad at all shedding) =]

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2009 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Lovingthrill

I am very confused by BE. I bought a starter kit a few years ago and the brushes were amazing and like someone massaging my face lightly (don't know if that really describes it) but I could tell that the brushes made all the difference. I stopped using BE because the foundation didn't match in the summer and I couldn't make it to a sephora to get a new color.

A BE store opened up so I decided to try them again. To my surprise there were new foundations colors and one that matched me pretty well and the set came with a darker one which is great so I didn't have to buy a new one in the summer. The only problem was it did not look great. I felt my face looked kind of dry not flawless like I remembered and the brushes reminded me of the old NYC brushes that feel like porcupines going at my face. I told the woman I was very torn and she gave me a ten day supply with a small brush. The tiny kabuki brush felt slightly better. I used the little kabuki brush to apply the minerals but I used ECO tools (from walgreens) kabuki brush to apply my own blush and loose powder I had lying around. IT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!! I am hooked on BE again MINUS the brushes.

I guess the brushes are a hit or miss. you might get a good one; you might not.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by dipndotts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't think I would buy this product again, mainly because I don't think BE even sells their brushes separately. Anyway, I don't hate this product as much as some people do. It does shed a bit, but at least it's not as scratchy as the flawless face brush--that thing's pretty bad. In fact, I don't find it that scratchy at all. It applies the foundation pretty well too. Overall, not awful.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Goldenstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Two words....TOTAL CRAP! BE makes the worst brushes on the planet. They shed like crazy, feel ruff & scratchy on the skin, & smell after washing. Every single time I used this brush I'd have to pick hairs off my face. The BE brushes are horrible quality- they should be sold at the dollar store. I can't believe the prices they charge for such garbage. If you want a great kabuki that is super-soft, doesn't shed, & is perfect for applying mineral makeup, try the brush from Too-Faced....it's wonderful!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by LizaLindsey

This brush is horrific. The bristles shed and it gets very hard over time. I HATE this brush!!! It only takes about 2 washes and then this brush starts to lose hair like no other. Bare Escentuals says that this brush was esspecially made for their foundation. I believe them. The brush and foundation are a perfect match; they are both awful.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2009 7:46:00 PM More reviews by sunshineandhoney

So, I sell this brand, and many other professional cosmetic and skincare lines. Here's the scoop: BE is a complete fad.

Don't get me wrong, I love their buxom lip glosses, but that's about it. Everyone I work with agree (including vendors, associates, etc), BE products are very average quality. Some of their products I wouldn't even say are good enough to be considered average.

All of their brushes are made with goat hair. Have you ever felt a goat? They're not fuzzy or soft, and they have this ominous odor. This is the reason as to why the brushes smell like wet dog. Also, the hairs become unattached very easily. I'll be color matching a client with BE products and come to find the hairs all over her face from the application.

And no, you don't need their brushes to apply their make-up, but you can say this about any line of cosmetics. The brushes are cut a certain way to allow the minerals to seep into the hair and be applied evenly (and correctly) over your skin. I'm sure they make other brushes that are cut similar, but I have yet to find one. If you use some random brush, you're bound to not have similar results as to when you were color matched by a professional.

Overall, the brand is mediocre. It's so popular because it was the first mineral line (started mid 1990's) and it is hugely marketed and promoted. I don't recommend wearing the make-up for professional pictures (weddings, graduations, etc.) because the mica causes a reflection from the camera flash, or if you're severely dry/dehydrated (the powder will rest in your lines and pores, even with their primer). Also, the mineral quality isn't a very high grade either. BE has become so huge in such a short amount of time that their products are not consistent. I've seen this problem numerous times with the lipsticks and glosses especially, which are easier to tell because some batch colors don't match others.

I could go on, but it won't do a thing. Just do your research when you're looking for a mineral line of cosmetics. There are much higher quality lines out there, that are just so much better, but of course they aren't promoted on HSN every hour, so you would never know.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 7:14:00 PM More reviews by serrabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Useless, very poor quality and certainly overpriced. Any brush you use on your face should be extra gentle and of highest quality of hairs available. No disrespect to the poor animals sheared for a brush, after all it was not their decision to sell them but all BE brushes are made of very low-grade materials. I am also incensed by the way the SAs try to stick it up your nose claiming their brushes are the only way to apply products correctly. What a pile of b.......! You'd be much better off with Chanel's or MAC's similar brushes of incomparably higher quality.