December 20, 2014 | 995 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Lash Stiletto

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 10:21:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This mascara is horrible! The smell of the formula is very bothering. I could smell it all day when I had it on my eyes. It made my eyes itch the whole entire day! I give it a two because it did lenghthen my lashes but it irritated my eyes. I don't recommend this mascara to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 5:33:00 PM More reviews by toreybeth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

All I can say is that this is by far the best drugstore mascara I have tried, beating out Voluminous Million Lashes and the Falsies. My lashes are already long and thick, and I use this for a slightly enhanced look. With this mascara, my eyelashes touch my eyebrows. It is also easily buildable, which I love. I think this mascara would be at a maximum effectiveness if your lashes are already relatively long/thick. This was just under $8 at Walmart, but it's really the only mascara you'll need. I strongly recommend this to those who want stunning length and definition.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by coffeehigh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this mascara. It is my favorite at the moment. It gives me amazing length, but not much volume. Most of the time I wear it with a volumnizing mascara over it, and looks very pretty. I get plenty of compliments on how long my lashes look with this on, and I have medium length naturally curly lashes, which don't look long on their own. This is definitely worth a try for people with short stubborn lashes. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by caitlinannexoxo

This mascara works really good! One of the best drugstore mascaras I've ever tried, actually. It lengthens a lot, and thickens just slightly. It's affordable and gives amazing results. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 4:24:00 AM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked this when I bought it!! It have my decent volume and great length!! However it doesn't provide enough volume for my liking I have very sparse lashes and I need lots of volume!! Would not purchase again but out of the million mascaras I've tried this was one of the better ones!!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2012 4:15:00 AM More reviews by boxyeongxan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

ehhhh......it was DECENT I guess
they advertise it by saying it'll give you the "ultimate" length
well...they DO lengthen your lashes pretty nicely
but its not like whoooaaa omg! kinda thing
and for me I didn't think it was THAT buildable?
oh and I didn't try the waterproof version but the regular one
it DEFINITELY didn't hold my curl
like I would curl it all nicely and I'd be all satisfied, and then I apply this mascara and I could like SEE my lashes slowly drooping down and back straight.
wow..omfg moment right there..
but I mean. I have straight lashes to begin with. If you have curly lashes or they stay curled easily, then you might not have that problem.
and it does give you decent length so I guess it's worth giving a try. Oh and if you're one of those people that like to layer mascaras, you could use this and then use a volumizing mascara afterwards. that'd look nice.
but PERSONALLY......I'm going to try other mascaras that I want to try out, and MAYBE I'll come back to this one?

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Monikar2

I personally love this mascara, it makes my eyelashes look so long.
It is amazing for lengthening your lashes, the brush allows you to really define and make sure you coat all your lashes too as it isn't 'fat' brush making it easier to work with.
I use the end of the mascara to get my outer lashes which makes a big difference to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 11:41:00 PM More reviews by stella0r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dramatic curl and the curl stays the whole day, no smudging, and I was surprised to find that it adds natural looking yet luscious volume! An HG in my book!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

For the price this really is a great mascara. I find it lengthens my lashes dramatically. It did not make them look thicker but I did not purchase it for that. I apply two coats for a natural look and three with eyelash curler for a more dramatic look. I do prefer Diorshow but I am trying to save money so this is probably the best substitute. It does not flake and is moisturising. The wand is great especially for little lashes at the corner.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by genxer123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Performance: top of the line for LENGTH of any of the many drugstore mascaras I've tried. This mascara worked incredibly well to show length and definition. I looked wide-eyed.

Application: I read the reviews and, trying to avert flagged problems, tried my own method. Maybe it will work for you, but work fast because you cannot wait between coats, and do one eye at a time:

1) Wiggle wand at base of center-outside lashes, pull through to tips.

2) Wiggle wand at base of center-inside lashes, pull through to tips.

3) Wiggle wand at base of dead center lashes, pull through to tips.

4) (If you want drama or it's night): Quickly load more mascara, repeat steps 1, 2 and 3. Otherwise skip to #5.

5) Quickly reload, start at center of eyes and pull brush outward towards temple, then quickly go back to center and push/pull brush towards nose. Repeat. Kinda like windshield wipers.

6) Smooth obvious gaps with wand, then finally

7) Hold wand at nearly the end of lashes, push up (to add more curl), and hold for a few seconds.

I always wear two coats for day, three for night or drama. The latter process takes 5 minutes, tops. I've got it down to 3 (meaning 90 seconds per eye).

Also, thanks to danielaortiz19, who suggested layering with Falsies -- wow.

I just happened to have Falsies. When I added ONE layer of Falsies on top of 2 layers of Stiletto -- my lashes look ridiculously long, thick, and not clumpy! I'll save the volume mascara addition for night. The combo leaves my lashes much longer than volume alone, much thicker than lengthening alone, and much cleaner-looking than all the mascaras that try to do both.

Finally, I keep sniffing this mascara for the off-putting, apparently ubiquitous, scent. Well, Stiletto definitely smells like makeup (Playdoh?), but when dry, the scent goes away. Just for fun I smelled Bobbi Brown No Smudge and CoverGirl Last Blast Length. BB's didn't smell like much and CG smelled like Elmer's glue. But I can't smell any of them unless the wand is right under my nose and I usually am that horrid neighbor who tells you exactly what's rotting in your refrigerator.

One more thing: no flakes, and for my contact lensed eyes, yay, no fibers (or at least none that came off).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No