Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 7/28/2012 5:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

At first I bought this because a lot of people at acne.org swear up and down that baking soda clears acne so I was like oh bloody shit, I will try it then. I've been using it for 6 months and see no acne difference which is fine because Baking soda does work but not for acne it could work as a spot treatment, which I tried but woke up with baking soda everywhere... I'm a crazy sleeper. Anyway, It's great for cleaning teeth leave my teeth super clean it's better than toothpaste no one can deny that. It's also great for removing odors you had a hard day at the gym (or wherever) and you're spelling all types of funky or like a skunk sprayed you wash your armpits for about 5 minutes and the odor will be gone. Also baking soda is great as an exfoliator, BUT I would rather use a face brush but if you don't want to pay a lot of money for an exfoliator Baking soda will be your friend.

on 7/21/2012 3:53:00 PM

My mom had been using baking soda as a facial scrub for years but I never dared try it until recently. Because everyone's skin is so different, one person's routine with baking soda may not be the right one for you. I was really careful the first time I did it and only used a tiny bit of baking soda and a bit of water.

Basic tips for baking soda:
1. Use a tiny bit the first time
2. Don't rub too hard or too long (until you know your skin can handle it)

on 7/21/2012 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

So I read wonderful reviews on how baking soda works for acne. So I got baking soda and made a thick paste with water. It made my skin soo soft the first time. Then the third time I put it on, it started stinging. I ignored it until the pain was unbelievable. It hurt even more trying to scrub it off. And when I did, my skin felt raw and burnt. It left me with wounds and peely skin. HORRIBLE! DO NOT RECCOMEND!

on 7/15/2012 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Have been using baking soda as my shampoo. I find it a little harsh as face scrub. I use sugar instead. But it work wonders as my hairwash. I use 5 teaspoons for half a litre water. I would strongly recommend it as a shampoo substitute, just play with it for a while untill you get the right mixture.
Edit: I started using it as a face scrub. I mix 1 tablespoon with 1 tablespoon honey and bam best face scrub ready! It has helped me remove the cluster of whiteheads on my chin. I use it everyday at night. Then I follow it up with Argan Oil. My skin is getting clearer by the day. I absolutely love it. I upped the rating to 5.

on 7/15/2012 6:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

so, i had done my research on baking soda for acne, and i was excited to try it. i ended up using a tea spoon of baking soda and a cup of water or so to make it pasty. i woke up the next day with such a horrible break out! it may have just been purging, but wow. i had never had so many little/big bumps on my face. it was more than i had ever had in my life. its been a little over a week now, and i havent used it, the bumps have gone down. but wow, it was so bad. i hope that it was just purging, because id like to try it again. but after that happened, im a bit doubtful

on 7/8/2012 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I use baking soda to exfoliate and can't see using anything else. Most other exfoliators are way too harsh and irritate my skin and cause breakouts. This is very gentle and rinses away clean. I actually found some Arm and Hammer baking soda in a plastic shaker thing that is great for the shower. I wish I could remember where I found it because it's lot more convenient than the cardboard box. This is a great product and the price just can't be beat!!!

on 6/19/2012 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I do enjoy baking soda as an exfoliant for face/body but my real love for it is with hair care. For those times when a shampoo (or two) has been skipped, the weather was warm, and the scalp just feels oily and vile, baking soda helps immensely. I like to grab about a tablespoon or two and massage it into my wet roots. It can be used solo or in conjunction with shampoo/conditioner. It makes my hair so incredibly clean and soft. I have been doing this for years and it never fails. I wouldn't suggest replacing regular hair products with it or using it daily. The amount needed probably varies greatly from person to person as some have reported horrible rashes/acne from baking soda usage. I have a pretty normal scalp and never experienced anything but fresh, revived hair from this beauty trick. Give it a try!

Miracle Worker for sooo many different things!!!
How i use it at the moment -
TO HELP ACNE - I am suffering from really bad acne that sprung out of no where last year, I've always had mild acne but my face is now disgusting. I've tried no end of products, antibiotics etc but nothing had worked. I read about using this as a mask and I'm only on my 3rd night of a new regime and the difference is great. I do this at night after cleansing my face, a teaspoon mixed with tiny bit of water into a paste and pat over my skin, I've read to leave for 10 mins but as soon as it is dry i wet my hands and gently rub it all in to exfoliate then rinse. I find it stings/burns and makes my spots looks worse straight after but this fades within the hour, it can also be quite drying so a moisturizer is a must!! I'm finding afterwards my pores have shrunk amazingly, my skin is less oily. I also seem to have a few whiteheads come up, ive read this is normal as the crap is coming to the surface. they dry out pretty quick also with continued use. if the whiteheads continues to appear after a full week of this then I'll change it to once every other day. (I'm hoping to only need to do this once a week once acne under control) I'm so so happy with the change in my acne, except for dryness but I'd rather deal with that!!! (i will also say i use this in conjunction with panoxly which i apply lightly in the mornings)
HAIR - Not so good for me but i seen improvements. I quit shampoo and conditioner and used a tbsp with cooled boiled water then vinegar for a rinse. I tried this for 2 months and went through an awful transition period that never ended. Ive read others only last a week but hey, what can you do. I so wanted this to work and may try again in the future, except for the symptoms of my transition i noticed my hair was thicker, less split ends. I would recommend people who want to go no chemicals to try this. or even do it now and again to clear product build up. I think I'll continue to do that and try and introduce it sparingly next time (I'm now using a lush shampoo bar and continue to vinegar rinse afterwards). My BACNE also vanished when i done this :) for that reason alone after i have cleaned my hair i shall be pouring the same mixture down my back to keep it clear.
TEETH WHITENER - I've started mixing this with toothpaste twice a week and noticed a change after to second time :)
I am soo happy with this stuff and cannot wait to use it in different ways

on 6/7/2012 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Baking Soda is amazing! I literally spent most of my money on skin care products that everybody raved about and just been disappointed each time. I leave this on my sink and just wash my face with warm water and mix it with baking soda and lightly rub my face. i also wash my face with COLD water afterwards. First time using this wasn't all that great cause my face stung and the baking soda left it extremely dry! My face didn't look great but after awhile my face got used to it. I recommend this product because there's nothing to lose. It's cheap and effective!

UPDATE: No longer using Baking Soda due to my sensitive skin. I also think it's a hassle to use as a cleanser since I don't have the patience to wash my face in the first place. Didn't do much for my acne.

on 6/2/2012 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I use baking soda to both clarify hair and as a deodorant, and in both functions I have yet to find something more effective. I mix with my shampoo into a sort of paste and just shampoo like normal. As a deodorant, I just wet my underarms, rub on a thin layer and allow to dry. This has been so effective as a deodorant that I now can wear clothes for multiple days if needed (i.e. I don't have to wash my clothes as often) and there are no white marks (unless I apply too much, in which case there will be a bit of powder on clothes, but unlike traditional deodorants this is easy to wipe off). Overall, I LOVE baking soda and take it everywhere with me when I travel.

Popular Other Products