September 18, 2014 | 1429 users online

Liquid - Shu Uemura - Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation ] [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2010 3:17:00 AM More reviews by iguanawanna

I think I've found my HG foundation. This has a nice, light feel but is heavily pigmented and provides medium to full coverage. A little goes a long, long way. I have hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone and I find that this does a FANTASTIC job of evening out my complexion. It does not totally cover up dark spots, so I go over those with concealer. Finish is satin-y. I also like my color match a lot. I'm anywhere from an NW35 to NC40, and I got this in 754, a yellow-toned medium shade. It's truly yellow-based rather than "warm," which I love as it does not make me orange (and I haven't found it to oxidize either). BUT, it's not too yellow either! Simply a fantastic foundation, totally worth the $42 price tag considering that you don't have to use much for each application.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by nithooz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall, this is the best foundation I've ever used. Color match is especially important to me because it is SO hard for me to find the right shade, with my medium olive East Indian/Desi skintone (NC40 / MUFE F&B 34) -- but 754 is *almost* a perfect match. MUFE F&B 34 was a tiny bit closer to my skintone, but its formulation is very different and much more sheer. I wish Face Architect had a bit more "brightness" to it -- not lightness! -- but my primer makes up for that.

The makeup-artist at the counter was kind of heavy-handed with the foundation and put on a much thicker coat than I prefer -- and as the day progressed, it looked pinker and pinker on me. Not orange or ashy, but pink. So strange! I was all set to return it, but decided to try applying it myself first. And voila, it was perfect! I don't know if it was the fact that I used much less, or used a different brush, or something else altogether, but when I apply it, it looks awesome :) (Looks great with the SK skunk brush or SK peep.)

Aside from that Face Architect is very kind to my sensitive skin, but I also don't have any oiliness/dryness/acne issues. Its lasting power is good but not amazing. For me MUFE HD lasted longer, but Face Architect has the superior finish and shade match. This looks natural and beautiful.

The only downside is the price -- $42 for 0.9 oz. A little goes a long way with this foundation, so that helps a little. Even though I really don't like the price, I am willing to live with it because this is the best foundation I've ever tried -- better than MUFE F&B, MUFE HD, MAC, BB Skin, and Revlon Photready (my second favorite). If you are also okay with shelling out for this foundation, I would highly recommend it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by kikidaisy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely fantastic foundation. I was a little worried about it being drying to my skin but it isn't most of the time, however, it is summer here so I'm not sure how it'll be in winter. I'm usually a NC15-20 but it's the end of summer here in Australia so I'm around NC25 and the shade 764 is perfect. The texture is a pleasure to work with, it's just so easy to spread and blend with my fingers. The finish is matte, but my skin doesn't look dry or flat, just smooth. It helps to hide my pores, and doesn't usually settle into lines. If I apply in the morning, it still looks quite decent by night time. I've tried a fair amount of foundations, Guerlain, Dior, Chanel, GA, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, MAC, Lancome, Estee Lauder, and this is the best foundation I have tried for my skin. I will buy the 774 for winter, but in the cream version since it's supposed to be more moisturizing than the liquid.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 11:46:00 PM More reviews by uberuninspired

this is possibly the best foundation i've ever used. I've tried a range of different brands, but this offers the build-ability and coverage no other brand can. it's easy to put on, easy to blend, easy to build. do remember to use the make up base with it, i think it makes a difference. my only complaint is its kind of pricey, so not everyone might be able to enjoy this awesome product, which is a prospect that sucks.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by aureliaesme

I live in the tropics and have fair-tone combination/oily asian skin.

I LOVE this foundation! I started using it last summer (switched from Guerlain's) and am on my 3rd bottle right now. The consistency is great, like some of the others have noted - very light and smooth and easily buildable. They have a hue that perfectly matched my skintone. It looks great in the natural as well as in photographs.

Once my skin was really acting up (small to medium bumps all over, yikes! ) and I had to go to Bali for a friend's wedding. I put the foundation on around mid afternoon, and despite the super humid climate there, my skin looked clear, natural, and even until midnight! Plus point : I looked like I had perfect skin in all of the photographs !

However, I do agree : exfoliate and moisturize (!!!) before putting it on. It makes a big difference!

My only regret : to not discovered this formula sooner ... =)

So for those of you like me : fair Asian skin tone, oily/combination, living in tropics : MUST TRY !!!

A+ from me =)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2010 9:05:00 PM More reviews by sblee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this foundation but A.) it looks terrible on my winter skin and B.) it clogged/irritated my pores the very first time I wore it.

Now it's not Shu's fault that my skin is a bit flaky and uneven from winter weather and nightly retin-a. Obviously the foundation works better on smooth skin but my skin is sensitive and cannot tolerate much exfoliation. I would never be able to wear this foundation more than once a week (at least in the winter)- it accentuates every bit of dryness on my face. The first time I sampled this my skin was not prepped all the way and it looked terrible. The next time I made sure my skin was thoroughly exfoliated and moisturized.

I chose to test run face architect on a long night- I wanted to see how it held up and if it oxidized at all. I used prep and prime and then applied face architect with the SK flat blusher brush. As the night went on- no oxidation- but the foundation slowly dried my skin out and it was not cute. Usually at the end of the night I'm super oily and my face needs lots of blotting. Face architect stayed matte on me but not in a good way. Winter+ my face+ face architect was not a good combination.

To add insult to injury I woke up with about 4 small red bumps on my cheek. I was surprised because I had double cleansed (I never go to sleep with any amount of makeup on). They didn't really look like regular zits and disappeared in about a day so it may have been an allergic reaction. My skin has no problem with 'cones of any kind but maybe algae extract was the culprit. I really don't know but in the end I returned it.

On a positive note I do think the color selection is quite lovely- especially for those of us with yellow undertones.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2010 10:16:00 AM More reviews by nucturn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the worse liquid foundation I've used so far! Don't waste your money ! This liquid foundation forms in to a clump and becomes patchy. I've tried it with primers, with and without moisturizers but so far it still clumps and accentuates some parts. I used sponge, hands, stippling brushes and yes was a total failure. I even applied it to my two sisters face since it didn't work for me and so far it got the same effect.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2010 10:16:00 PM More reviews by c0lap1nada

Edit: Took off a lippie as I've noticed that it really can't keep up with my skin these days... Cakes up around acne spots (dehydrated & red) and over time it just enhances the dry spots on my face which is pretty much everywhere. (And I DO moisturize before applying..)

Foundation is light-medium coverage, but buildable. Feels light on skin and the pump bottle is hygienic. Purchased for 280HKD, which I find is pretty decently priced. Doesn't break me out at all, but it does fade..... definitely works better with a primer/base. Theres a wide range of shades so I would suggest getting a color check by SA.I am #564 matched with 5yr medium concealer (which is a tad too yellow & dark).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2010 9:21:00 AM More reviews by ohyrgod

This foundation is definitely one of the best I've tried, and I've tried many previously top-rated ones on MUA. I had been using MAC studio fix (had to mix NC 15 and NC 20 to get the right colour) prior to this one, but it was still too pink for my asian skin tone. This foundation in 964 is perfect for my skin colour, the best match I've ever had, which I am extremely happy about.
    The coverage, to me, is medium, easily buildable without looking too cakey. Compared to studio fix, it isn't as heavy but it does well to cover my uneven skin tone and acne scars.
    It makes my skin feel really soft and smooth, and I can hardly feel it on. I have an extremely oily t-zone, but this foundation does well to keep my oil to a minimum.
    The only aspect I think the foundation needs improvement on is the staying power. That said, the foundation is easily removable from my face at the end of the day, as well as from the aveda shammy cloth I use to take off my make up with.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2010 5:56:00 PM More reviews by lesca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Face Architect is definitely not HG, but it may be the closest I can get as far as balancing performance with my multitude of skin sensitivities.

Color-match: Best color selection ever for me! I am a very yellow-toned NC25 and get almost no sun in the winter. 754 is perfect for my tanner months, but once the weather gets cloudy, 764 melts perfectly into my skin. If you are East Asian and can't find a good match in foundation undertones, try out Shu!

Coverage: Straight from the bottle, this is medium-to-full coverage. Performs really well sheered out with moisturizer or even water though, so you can definitely customize this. One thing this doesn't mix well with is 'cones; it'll go fine over a silicone primer, but mixing them gets really weird, thick consistency.

Finish: Matte, but not powdery. Looks amazing from a distance, but up close, you better hope you exfoliated! This is one of my least favorite things about the foundation - looks cakey when I am dry.

Ingredients/skin-sensitivities: This has a fragrance! It fades pretty quickly on application, but on my super-sensitive days, I skip this foundation because the fragrance is a bit irritating. Water-based formula (I don't read much into this "deep-sea water" hoo-ha), which is good for those who are sensitive to cones and petroleums.

Packaging: The pump is amazing. You will never get those gross little clumps at the tip, even if you leave it on the shelf for months without using. A+

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No