September 17, 2014 | 2222 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by ddha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for MAC's Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.

This is a good product. I switch between this and Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) as a base for eye shadow. Below is a review on the different aspects of the product.

About me - NC 15, pale blonde hair, blue eyes, normal skin, sometimes dehydrated.

Color - MAC describes this as a yellow-beige and that's spot on. I'm NC 15 and its just about my skin tone -except it is more yellow in shade. It's to yellow for me to wear alone. If you are considering a paint pot and Soft Ochre is to yellow, I'd try Painterly which is more pink in tone.

Coverage - It is thick and covers well.

Texture - It's a creamy potted product. I use my finger to apply. I just swipe my finger over the product and apply. It applies smooth and evenly.

Longevity - It doesn't last all day on me. I think UDPP works better for that. It doesn't wear off blotchy. It can crease after time, especially if you are outside in the summer. I took off a lippie for this. I really dislike products that crease.

Packaging - It's in a small pot. The packaging is MAC's typical sleek and simple style. There is a black screw off top and a glass pot. The MAC site lists it as 5 g / 0.17 fl oz. It's a small pot, but there is a ton of product. I've had it for over a year and have only made a small dent with regular use.

Price - I bought this at the Cosmetic Company Outlet. MAC sells it for $16.50. I purchased it for around 30% off. It's a decent price for the amount of product.

Would you buy this product again? Yes, but I likely won't have to. This one is going to last me for years.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by jay4jazz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is slightly too light for my NC25 skin, but if I apply it sheerly, it covers any redness in my eye so the high pigmentation is good and I don't have to use so much product. One problem I have with the product is that I can't get an even application if I use a brush, I have to use my fingers which is why I took one lippie off. But other than that I love it!
UPDATE: I found that this product applies much better on warmer climates. So if I want to use it in winter, I warm it up with a hair drier first, but apply very sparingly!
Also I prefer UDPP for a base as the colors are brighter and truer over UDPP, but if a color won't work with my skin tone, Soft Ochre is a good way to make it more wearable.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by LSButtercup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I apply this paintpot as a base almost every single day. I use my fingers to warm it up and apply it and it works perfectly for me. It makes my eye makeup last forever and it doesn't crease on my lids. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 10:16:00 AM More reviews by MAClovaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this product! Very creamy, skin coloured primer type of purpose. I use this everyday and it preps my eyes for shadow. Can crease depending on what I have been doing that day. I wouldnt use this as a regular colour without shadow. Would repurchase again!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2010 4:37:00 AM More reviews by mishkee

This is my HG eyeshadow primer. I have ugly brownish green eyelids and this yellow base cancels out that to create the perfect canvas for any eyeshadow. I love it so much! Paint pots last a very long time. I use it everyday and it lasts me about a year. One thing I have to add is, I also have VERY oily eyelids. So I put on two thin layers of this. One just isnt enough and my shadow will crease no matter what brand of shadow I use. Just a word of advice for my fellow greasy eyelid gals!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 6:58:00 PM More reviews by busybeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my first paint pot and I chose it over Bare Study based on reviews that Bare Study is too shimmery, plus sometimes I like to do matte looks, and I also love my Dazzelight e/s for a highlight anyway. I thought it kinda looked like my foundation color (NC25-30) and might be a waste, but my nana insisted on buying it for me on our yearly shopping trip together (she's a hip nana and actually had one). I love it and now I think of her whenever I use it. I didn't think it was doing anything until I tried my Cork e/s on top of it. Before, I didn't really care for Cork because it turned a saddle brown color on my lids, but Soft Ochre lets the beautiful golden brown show as it's meant to and now Cork will be getting alot more love from me! I use Soft Ochre all the way from my inner corner/lashline to my browbone and it covers my veins and redness on my eyelid while giving my browbone a clean look. Best of all, it holds onto my inner corner highlight, which is key for the bright eyed look I aim for ;) It does set rather quickly so make sure to apply evenly. Oh, and you get a lot more for the money than the MAC e/s. I think this will last me forev and replace my Orb e/s as a wash. But I will repurchase when needed :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 2:33:00 AM More reviews by nakeeyark

I'm always looking for a good eyeshadow base, and at the moment I am in love with MAC's Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. I originally tried my friend's Painterly, which is described as a "nude beige," but that skewed just a bit too pink for my skintone; she's much more olive, and I'm a whole lot more yellow. Seeing as how I liked the texture and creamy color, I decided to try Soft Ochre, which is called a "yellow beige," and this one is perfect for me, as it is a shade lighter than my skin. Sometimes I will just apply this, eyeliner and mascara for a very clean look, and when I apply eyeshadow, this product grabs hold of it and keeps the color vibrant. You do have to work relatively quickly as it dries down within a few seconds, but it isn't so fast that it's any kind of hindrance. I will definitely be repurchasing this once I run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by lolaice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Although not ideal its the best eyeshadow base for the money and for my NC base skin. I've had mine for 3 months, use it everyday and there's hardy a dent in it. It is highly pigmented so it completely camouflages my natural uneven pigmentation so my eyeshadow colors are true. It does crease after about 6 hours of wear but I usually just pass my finger through it and it blends in so I don't need to use any other base when wearing a neutral look. When I'm in a hurry this and a single color on my lid are the only eye shadows I use. It is difficult to blend when I apply with a heavy hand so be careful. For smoother results use brush but it is not necessary.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 3:48:00 AM More reviews by blatantdream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't love this product nor do I hate it which si why I gave it 3 lippies. I've used painterly before and that one is more pinkish so it doesn't do my eye lids any favors and I seem to have very pink eye lids to begin with. Soft ochre is more yellow but also slightly lighter. It works better on my eyes, it just needs to be a shade darker and it would be the perfect base. I can't wear it alone because it looks chalky on me I'm NC35-37 in the winter NC40 in the summmer. The formula itself might work better if it didn't dry and set so quickly. You really have to work fast with it or it will just dry up and stay in place. With that said, I have very oily lids, and this does crease on me. I do have to use UDPP under it to get it to stay on without creasing. Which to some people might defeat the purpose of having this.

The packaging to me really sucked. When I had painterly it dried up on me midway through. So when i got soft ochre I scopped out a quarter of it into a sample jar and left the rest in a drawer untouched. This did the trick and it stayed creamy until I was able to use it all up.

I wouldn't buy it again because when I finish this I want to try out some of the newer UDPP shades out. Maybe I will finally have found the perfect base/primer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2010 4:37:00 AM More reviews by MsGolightly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this. I used MAC's Bare Canvas eye paint for years as an eye shadow base, but hated the packaging. When the paint pots came out, I first tried Painterly. After I used Painterly up (well, almost used it up..it dried out on me right after I hit the bottom), I found Soft Ochre and will never look back. It's the perfect base color for my warm skin. I use this every single day, alone and under other eye shadow. It makes my eyes look less tired, and evens everything out. It doesn't crease on me, which Bare Canvas sometimes did. Will continue buying this for years.