MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

4.2

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 1/31/2011 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I had high hopes for this product as I've heard good things about Painterly and that this was the counterpart for warm skin tones. I bought this from my MAC counter and tried it for a few days. I tried using it as a base and all over lid e/s. It did not perform for either function. The formula was horribly dry on my lids, I used a finger to warm it up and it still did not spread smoothly. I was extremely disappointed and returned this product. I'm NC30 and the color was also too light for me.

on 1/27/2011 6:27:00 PM

I am with the others on this product. I own 6 of the paint pots, painterly being the one used most. I thought I got a "lemon" on this one until I read the other reviews problems with this particular color, its too dry. It feels fine when I apply it with my finger, sort of feels the same as painterly, but it goes on non smoothly! It looks cakey right away. Have tried putting moisturizer on lids to see if it changes it and it does, then the moisturizer dries and it looks cakey again. I am surprised there are not a lot of reviewers having the same issue. The color is great, similar to painterly, but the application and dryness of the product is awful

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I finally realized Matte Paint Pots are perfect for my needs. I have purp/blue veins on my eye lids that must be covered. Before i just used concealers... which always got oily on me. Painterly and Soft Ochre really are a god send. I have tried Bare Study... which was awful, scaly, and patchy... So i am never getting talking into frosty Paint Pots.
If you are like me, please test the product before buying. My conclusion is this stuff is great...but only in Matte colors =)

on 1/13/2011 4:42:00 AM

I use this everyday not only as an eyeshadow primer but also as a color corrector. I know many people choose Painterly as an eyebase, but Soft Ochre is a much better color match for my NC20-25 skintone. I find Painterly very strange on my skin since it is so pink-toned. I have rather veiny eyelids so I use this to even out the color of my eyelids even on the days when I'm not wearing any eyeshadow. When I do use this as an eyebase, it does keep my eyelids matte and my shadows stick to it all day. It is not quite as long lasting as Urban Decay Primer Potion, but it is a much better bang for your buck. I ran out of my first tube of UDPP within 3 months and one of those retails for about $17. I've been using Soft Ochre Paintpot everyday for a year and I've barely made a dent in it and it only cost me $16.50.

NOTE: I haven't experienced any dryness in the product either, just make sure you close the lid tight and you won't have a problem.

on 1/12/2011 7:56:00 PM

I'm a little disappointed with this product. When I apply it to my eyelids it seems to dry so quickly that I'm not able to blend it out properly because it turns sticky and tugs the skin, infact it sometimes leaves the skin looking wrinkled without being wrinkled. The sticky consistency of it also makes it harder to blend my eyeshadows properly! The color is a little too yellow-toned for my cool-toned skin as well, but that wouldn't be a problem if it could blend better. It does help a little on the lasting power of my eyeshadows however, but not as long as I had hoped. I've tried the Painterly Pot which has more pinkish undertones, it seemed easier to work with for some reason. As for the packaging it bothers me that it comes in a jar because of the dirt that it can collect and also because I often get the product under my nails, but I guess that's the only way to store a product with that consistency. I will not buy again.

on 1/10/2011 11:21:00 AM

This a a nice light beige base for the lids. On my NC35/NC40 skin it makes my lids super stark so I add just a little (you really only need a little. unless you want creasing) I appreciate the fact that I don't have to add a highlight if I didn't want too because this takes the place very well.

on 1/2/2011 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Maybe I got a bad batch? Many raves on this paint pot but I always have a hard time applying it (even with my fingers). I like the color, but it's not creamy enough (way too dry) that I feel like I have to grind it over my eyes for an even application.

on 1/2/2011 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first paint pot but comparing to udpp it doesnt perform as good. On the 3rd hour it starts creasing. Also I am a little disappointed that it looks a little weird on my nw25-nc30ish skin tone. Not buying again.

PROS: How fun is this? I like to be able to play with a different type of product. I got to bring out my nonexistant make up artist side when using this. This was okay as a base for my oily lids. Helped my powder last a little bit longer. Does crease later, though. (I have slightly oily lids, though.) MAC calls Soft Ochre a "yellow beige." And the color is great on my N (leaning to NC) 15-20 skin.

CONS: It definitely takes practice in application and is not something I could just quickly slap on. I hear from many on here that it dries up quick in the pot and then you have to add visine or something. ? I've had mine for about a year and a half, and it's just barely starting to pull away from the sides of the jar, but it does not feel any different, consistency-wise.

APPLICATION TIPS: I took the advice of others about dabbing it when it started to move later on in the day, and it did help reset the lasting power for a while. For my N15 (leaning to NC) skin, the soft ochre was nice with a brightening, popping effect for my blue eyes. (Painterly was way too cool/pink on me.) I actually love to use this VERY lightly right under my lower lash line, on top of my concealer. It makes my concealer last forever. (I know. I know. It's odd. But it works so great for me.)

on 12/30/2010 9:12:00 PM

I looooooove this paint pot! It's the first one I purchased and it's still my favorite. I'm a pale, but warm toned gal (NC 20) and this is the perfect match for my skin. Painterly was far too pink, and I still prefer this as it covers up any discoloration on my eyelids. The yellow tones (I feel) also help bring out warmer tones in the eye shadows I wear over it, which is a good think :) I find that this helps bring out my hazel eyes more!

As for the staying power, it's second to only my beloved Too Faced Shadow Insurance, but I find myself wearing this more often for the color. No creasing, no fading, no smudging of any kind when I wear this under my eye shadows. I find that it's a little bit on the pricey side, and the packaging could be better, but the product itself is worth every penny :) I highly recommend this product!