October 24, 2014 | 1677 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2011 11:20:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: How fun is this? I like to be able to play with a different type of product. I got to bring out my nonexistant make up artist side when using this. This was okay as a base for my oily lids. Helped my powder last a little bit longer. Does crease later, though. (I have slightly oily lids, though.) MAC calls Soft Ochre a "yellow beige." And the color is great on my N (leaning to NC) 15-20 skin.

CONS: It definitely takes practice in application and is not something I could just quickly slap on. I hear from many on here that it dries up quick in the pot and then you have to add visine or something. ? I've had mine for about a year and a half, and it's just barely starting to pull away from the sides of the jar, but it does not feel any different, consistency-wise.

APPLICATION TIPS: I took the advice of others about dabbing it when it started to move later on in the day, and it did help reset the lasting power for a while. For my N15 (leaning to NC) skin, the soft ochre was nice with a brightening, popping effect for my blue eyes. (Painterly was way too cool/pink on me.) I actually love to use this VERY lightly right under my lower lash line, on top of my concealer. It makes my concealer last forever. (I know. I know. It's odd. But it works so great for me.)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by bleupoppy2

I looooooove this paint pot! It's the first one I purchased and it's still my favorite. I'm a pale, but warm toned gal (NC 20) and this is the perfect match for my skin. Painterly was far too pink, and I still prefer this as it covers up any discoloration on my eyelids. The yellow tones (I feel) also help bring out warmer tones in the eye shadows I wear over it, which is a good think :) I find that this helps bring out my hazel eyes more!

As for the staying power, it's second to only my beloved Too Faced Shadow Insurance, but I find myself wearing this more often for the color. No creasing, no fading, no smudging of any kind when I wear this under my eye shadows. I find that it's a little bit on the pricey side, and the packaging could be better, but the product itself is worth every penny :) I highly recommend this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2010 5:46:00 AM More reviews by pinknplush

Holy rock-hard thingy! I dunno exactly how I can use this.. It dries way too quickly before I can evenly apply this on my lids. The shade is nice thou. Consistency is really intolerable. Can't even use as a good lip base. Can't substitute for concealer. Will just finish this tub and aI'm done. Will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by ddha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for MAC's Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.

This is a good product. I switch between this and Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) as a base for eye shadow. Below is a review on the different aspects of the product.

About me - NC 15, pale blonde hair, blue eyes, normal skin, sometimes dehydrated.

Color - MAC describes this as a yellow-beige and that's spot on. I'm NC 15 and its just about my skin tone -except it is more yellow in shade. It's to yellow for me to wear alone. If you are considering a paint pot and Soft Ochre is to yellow, I'd try Painterly which is more pink in tone.

Coverage - It is thick and covers well.

Texture - It's a creamy potted product. I use my finger to apply. I just swipe my finger over the product and apply. It applies smooth and evenly.

Longevity - It doesn't last all day on me. I think UDPP works better for that. It doesn't wear off blotchy. It can crease after time, especially if you are outside in the summer. I took off a lippie for this. I really dislike products that crease.

Packaging - It's in a small pot. The packaging is MAC's typical sleek and simple style. There is a black screw off top and a glass pot. The MAC site lists it as 5 g / 0.17 fl oz. It's a small pot, but there is a ton of product. I've had it for over a year and have only made a small dent with regular use.

Price - I bought this at the Cosmetic Company Outlet. MAC sells it for $16.50. I purchased it for around 30% off. It's a decent price for the amount of product.

Would you buy this product again? Yes, but I likely won't have to. This one is going to last me for years.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by jay4jazz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is slightly too light for my NC25 skin, but if I apply it sheerly, it covers any redness in my eye so the high pigmentation is good and I don't have to use so much product. One problem I have with the product is that I can't get an even application if I use a brush, I have to use my fingers which is why I took one lippie off. But other than that I love it!
UPDATE: I found that this product applies much better on warmer climates. So if I want to use it in winter, I warm it up with a hair drier first, but apply very sparingly!
Also I prefer UDPP for a base as the colors are brighter and truer over UDPP, but if a color won't work with my skin tone, Soft Ochre is a good way to make it more wearable.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by LSButtercup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I apply this paintpot as a base almost every single day. I use my fingers to warm it up and apply it and it works perfectly for me. It makes my eye makeup last forever and it doesn't crease on my lids. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 10:16:00 AM More reviews by MAClovaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this product! Very creamy, skin coloured primer type of purpose. I use this everyday and it preps my eyes for shadow. Can crease depending on what I have been doing that day. I wouldnt use this as a regular colour without shadow. Would repurchase again!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2010 4:37:00 AM More reviews by mishkee

This is my HG eyeshadow primer. I have ugly brownish green eyelids and this yellow base cancels out that to create the perfect canvas for any eyeshadow. I love it so much! Paint pots last a very long time. I use it everyday and it lasts me about a year. One thing I have to add is, I also have VERY oily eyelids. So I put on two thin layers of this. One just isnt enough and my shadow will crease no matter what brand of shadow I use. Just a word of advice for my fellow greasy eyelid gals!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 6:58:00 PM More reviews by busybeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my first paint pot and I chose it over Bare Study based on reviews that Bare Study is too shimmery, plus sometimes I like to do matte looks, and I also love my Dazzelight e/s for a highlight anyway. I thought it kinda looked like my foundation color (NC25-30) and might be a waste, but my nana insisted on buying it for me on our yearly shopping trip together (she's a hip nana and actually had one). I love it and now I think of her whenever I use it. I didn't think it was doing anything until I tried my Cork e/s on top of it. Before, I didn't really care for Cork because it turned a saddle brown color on my lids, but Soft Ochre lets the beautiful golden brown show as it's meant to and now Cork will be getting alot more love from me! I use Soft Ochre all the way from my inner corner/lashline to my browbone and it covers my veins and redness on my eyelid while giving my browbone a clean look. Best of all, it holds onto my inner corner highlight, which is key for the bright eyed look I aim for ;) It does set rather quickly so make sure to apply evenly. Oh, and you get a lot more for the money than the MAC e/s. I think this will last me forev and replace my Orb e/s as a wash. But I will repurchase when needed :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 2:33:00 AM More reviews by nakeeyark

I'm always looking for a good eyeshadow base, and at the moment I am in love with MAC's Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. I originally tried my friend's Painterly, which is described as a "nude beige," but that skewed just a bit too pink for my skintone; she's much more olive, and I'm a whole lot more yellow. Seeing as how I liked the texture and creamy color, I decided to try Soft Ochre, which is called a "yellow beige," and this one is perfect for me, as it is a shade lighter than my skin. Sometimes I will just apply this, eyeliner and mascara for a very clean look, and when I apply eyeshadow, this product grabs hold of it and keeps the color vibrant. You do have to work relatively quickly as it dries down within a few seconds, but it isn't so fast that it's any kind of hindrance. I will definitely be repurchasing this once I run out.