Biotin (All brands)

3.5

Cons-
Higher dose made huge, blotchy, welt looking pimples.(I've never had a problem with acne...or pimples that look this scary)
Pills are big and have an after taste (Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails)

Pros-
Lot's of good stuff comes with it like collagen (the brand I got)
Made dry skin/ psoriasis look better
Inexpensive

I bought the Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails from Walmart for around 6 dollars. It has 1000mcg (3mg) of Biotin in 3 pills. I started taking 5 pills a day because I read an article on how higher doses are suppose to help with a whole bunch of other conditions. Luckily, I happened to see this page just browsing. I rarely ever get big red spider bite looking pimples...One popped up the other day, didn't think anything of it, thought I maybe got bit by something or my new towelettes were doing it...Couple days later, another one....today a huge one sprouted in a two hour span at a salon. Anyway, lots of reviewers are having the same problem so I'm 89% positive this may be the cause. It only started doing it when I upped the dosage (I hope/think). I've been taking it for about 2 weeks and the only difference I've noticed is that dry skin looks less crunchy around the elbows. I'm a nail biter and I just chopped off 3 inches of hair today so I can't really say if it works for nails or hair. I will probably buy it again because it's cheap and has other goodies in it, IF the giant red splotch pimples go away.

on 2/8/2013 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought the whole foods brand of biotin (1000 mcg) and I've been taking it for about a week so far. I was really nervous about taking it because of all the things I'd heard about it causing acne, but as someone who has struggled with severe skin issues her entire life (I used to have really terrible cystic acne: had to go on Accutane for it), I can say that I've seen a HUGE improvement in my skin since I started on biotin. I went from having breakouts all over my face to having clear skin within days (seriously, not an exaggeration).
I started taking biotin to try to help grow out my hair faster (I got a pixie cut in early September and I've been growing it out ever since). I haven't seen a huge, drastic change in terms of hair length, but I've only been taking it for a week, so we'll see what happens long-term. Even if this supplement doesn't do anything for my hair, I'll probably keep taking it because it benefits my skin so much.

on 2/7/2013 8:02:00 PM

A year or two ago, I picked up a bottle of 60 x 1000mg Biotin pills and started taking them daily for faster hair growth. To my dismay, I started breaking out on my chin with CYSTIC ACNE. Oh, those were so painful and ugly. I could not figure out why because I don't usually get cystic acne. I started researching what biotin does to some people and I learned that everyone can tolerate biotin differently. When I take multivitamins, where biotin is included in a much lesser dosage (maybe 1500-300mg), I am OK. However, anything over 500mg, and my skin freaks out. If you are getting unusual cystic acne, you may be experience the same thing. Stop taking biotin, and once your acne clears up, try it again in a much smaller dosage - only if you really need to. There are topical ways to improve your hair's health and growth, such as using natural essential oil masks.

on 2/7/2013 5:02:00 AM

Hi Ladies!
So I recently cut my hair shoulder length(which I regret) and was desperately wanting it to grow fast. A couple of my cousins suggested BIOTIN. So I was like why not? I went to Walmart and bought the Spring Valley brand( it was a green bottle with little-easy to swallow white gel like pills) for like 6$(in AZ)... I believe it contained 60, good for 2 months if you take the suggested amount 2/day 5000mg. I just started taking it about 4 days ago so I really haven't such much results. Although I'm hoping I do with in a month. I haven't had any acne yet either... The pills are very easy to take so they're perfect. I do hope to see some results. I'll keep you ladies updated... Praying it works!

on 1/30/2013 2:00:00 AM

I'm an 18yr old girl and. I have been taking 2 pills a day, and I have noticed some acne I never had before. My nails and hair are growing so fast. I will lower my dose to one pill a day so I dont break out as much

on 1/21/2013 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I started taking 5000mcg of Biotin a day just over a week ago and had a huge cystic acne outbreak within days. My skin has been fairly acne free and definitely cystic acne free for months thanks to cutting out dairy and using Zorac cream daily. Well, even the Zorac was no match for this outbreak. I also developed cysts on my cheeks which is somewhere I have never broken out.
I finally put two and two together after googling Biotin and acne and have stopped taking it. Hopefully my skin won't take long to clear up. Won't be taking this again.

on 1/15/2013 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Nails are stronger , not sure about hair growth being any faster but before taking biotin I was shedding like crazy. Clumps coming out everyday , after 2 months my shedding has been a quarter of what it was and that in itself makes it worth it's weight.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I bought the Spring Valley version. It was under $3 at my local Wal-Mart and the pills are very small and easy to swallow. I have only been using it for a week so this review will be updated. I am doing my opinion of it so far because of all the complaints of cystic acne. The brand I have has 1000 mcg of biotin per tablet but other brands have even higher amounts. The bottle I have says you can take up to 5 daily, I suggest you DO NOT do so. At least starting out... I know a lot of you are really impatient and want to see results as fast as possibly so you pop in 5 pills a day hoping to speed up the results, but the last thing you want is too take too much for your body, that will cause excess biotin in your system causing acne and possibly other side effects. Since different brands have different ranges of mcg's per tablet you don't want to risk taking way too much! 1000 mcg is already a fairly high amount if you have acne I suggest you start out take one lower. Start yourself out by taking one pill a day for a month and see the results, then you can try out taking more depending on that. I am currently taking one pill a day WITH A MEAL. And drinking plenty of water. Taking it with a meal allows the biotin to be absorbed better into your system. I have had no signs at all of acne. In fact my face has become softer and, although it's usually dry, it has become a little more moisturized. I haven't seen any effects on my hair or nails yet and I probably won't until after a month of taking it.. I will update this later! :)

on 1/10/2013 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been trying to grow my hair out lately and had read so much good stuff about biotin online, so I picked up a bottle of 1000mg tablets at Target for like $2.49. They were small and easy to swallow which is always nice because so many supplements are like horse pills. I started taking one along with my daily multi and within a week noticed that my nails were growing like weeds. They were very long, insanely strong and very pretty. I was psyched. My hair began falling out less and less and seemed stronger. Even more psyched. Then...my face went absolutely crazy. I broke out with these huge cystic pimples all over my face which were so painful and embarrasing. I did a quick google search and sure enough, excess biotin is known to aggravate acne. I stopped taking them about 2 weeks ago and my skin is now back to normal. The difference was so noticable-I stopped taking it, and within three days all the inflamed pimples were not swollen anymore and well on the way to healing. My nails are back to normal too though, they've all broken off. I gave this a 3 because it does what it's supposed to with the hair and nails, but it has the unfortunate side effect of bad breakouts. I'll take normal hair and nails over acne any day.

on 12/25/2012 5:14:00 PM

i started taking biotin in hopes for longer hair. i havent really noticed much growth however my nails grow like crazy and have become very strong (they were pretty weak before). I haven't noticed any of this cystic acne everyone is talking about in fact my face has become really soft and clear.
i have also started crushing up the tablets and mixing them into my shampoo and conditioner. i am hoping to see more results.

Popular Treatments