April 24, 2014 | 1485 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 6:38:00 AM More reviews by xxtine1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I took 1000mcg for two months. I'm really disappointed because nothing happened. I have long straight thick hair, and my aim is waist length, - it didn't grow faster. I have average (not particular weak but not exactly strong either) nails, and they didn't change either. I think I'll try a skin, hair and nails supplement next time.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by hautiehippie420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Biotin (5000 mcg Spring Valley from Walmart about $6 - I've tried others online but I like this brand) gives me about an inch of hair growth per month. (I'm currently on my third month.) I noticed it taking effect after I took it for six weeks. I take 3 of these - 15,000 mcg per day (converts to 15 mg) but i think 10 mg is probably sufficient enough. I take these every night before bedtime and strangely, being on that routine helps me fall asleep quicker. My nails are obviously longer and my hair has grown MUCH quicker which was my goal. I'm pleased with my inch every month. I haven't noticed my body hair growing longer or thicker than average, maybe somewhat quicker but it hasn't been significant enough to bother me. No hairgrowth in unusual places. No facial hair. Clear skin. No bad side effects whatsoever. I would recommend this to anyone. :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by miszSalazar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE(01/22/14): Hello all, it has been a while since I last updated my review on Biotin. I have religiously been taking it since I started about 2 1/2 years ago. My nails grow rock solid and so fast, I constantly have to cut them down. My hair is ok I haven't reached my goal length yet but I am sure it is because my ends are so beyond dead and I refuse to cut it lol. I continue to take Spring Valley Biotin but now I take the 10,000mcg tablets with 100mg of Keratin. My skin is better than EVERRRR and I know it is the Biotin because if for whatever reason I happen to miss a day or two BOOM my skin doesn't feel the same. It is great, try it and I hope it works just as good for everyone else! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I have now been taking Biotin (Spring Valley Brand 5,000mcg) for 3months now and it has drastically improved the condition of my nails. Within the first month they were rock solid and longer than ever. I keep them short now since they grow so quickly. My hair has definitely within the last month or so. At first I did not think my hair would grow, but at least it got my nails growing but now I am convinced it is helping my hair, I am only several inches away from my hair reaching my waist. I am so excited for it to keep growing! (: and as for my skin, no breakouts its actually better than ever. I will update once my hair has reached my waist. The condition of my hair also feels better. Good luck to the rest of you ladies!

Hello Ladies,

I have been reading several reviews on here about Biotin. I just purchased a bottle of 5,000mcg yesterday, so today will be day 2 of my Biotin intake.. A little about me now: I have pretty nice hair, its straight, average thickness, it is about half way down my back which is not short but I feel like it has been stuck at this length forever now! I am desperate for it to grow, I have for the majority of my life had hair down to my waist and miss that length. I do use the blow dryer and flat iron, not as much anymore but hopefully Biotin will help. I also would love for my nails to grow, they get a little long and then they get caught on something and I am back at square one. The only thing I am scared of is the possibility of breaking out, I have a little break out every month when my period comes but nothing extreme so hopefully this won't affect me in that department. I will update in about 2wks and share my experience. Thanks for reading!

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This vitamin is incredible!!! I don't know why it doesn't work on some people, but on me this works within days. Granted I don't buy the generic brands at pharmacies and buy them online instead, where you have larger concentrations, the cost is cheaper, and the pills are smaller. My favorites are the Biotin (5,000mcg) from Vitacost. Wonderful stuff.

Anyway, I have relaxed hair. For those who don't know, this is hair that is chemically straightened. Not temporarily, but completely and permanently removing the curl. Now, I don't have a problem growing my hair but I've been wanting to grow out the relaxer. Since I don't have time, money, or patience to sit down and get braids regularly or do protective style, growing it out "naturally" has become a problem. Ever since I started taking this I've been able to cut my relaxed hair gradually since the curly parts are growing faster and longer. Since taking this, my hair has grown 4 inches in 3 months. And the curls are SOFTER. I'm not making that up, I have mostly thick 4a hair that shrinks and tangles too easily, and since taking them my hair growth is softer are more defined. My nails, which are naturally very fine, have grown stronger and clearer. My eyelashes have grown quite a bit too, and they are darker (less mascara baby!).

On the downside, this has made the hair in other places grow much faster. The hair on my legs grows thicker and faster, the hair on my arms (which is also very fine) is growing longer. The hair on my brows grows a bit faster as well and longer. I was freaking out a bit about this because I swore they were thinning out thanks to constant waxing at my brow lady. The hair on my lips grows just a bit quicker. But that is nothing consistent maintenance can't fix. I use an epilator for my legs and that inhibits my growth for about 3 weeks to a month. I use Gigi Hair Removal Lotion on my arms and Surgi facial cream for my lip area. It's tougher to maintain my eyebrows but I don't mind.

I recommend taking this with food once a day, don't try doing so twice if it's 5,000mcg or more. You'll be asking for a breakout. I also suggest you get a hair vitamin on the side. I use Maxi Hair as a multi-vitamin and it works great. Most of all, if it doesn't work as fast as it did for me, don't give up, try drinking more water. This is the biggest reason why Biotin doesn't work on many people. You need lots and lots of water to help Biotin dissolve. My mom tried this and at first it didn't, because she didn't like drinking water too often, and after she started to, wow. I recommended it to another young friend of my brother's that's in high school and trying to go natural. She finally did the big chop after 6 months of taking it and her hair is so cute. Her hair is past her eyes. Don't be stubborn and give it a try, and also try to keep an effort in maintaining your self healthy. Like all other things, it needs a little help on your side to work. Good luck people, and if you have any questions, feel free to message me anytime, I'll gladly respond.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Suzy9797

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i wanted this to work for me so badly. about a month ago my hair started falling out in larger than normal clumps. my doctor told me it was a condition called TE, which of course has to do with the one thing i cant control.. stress. there isn't much i could do, but figured i'd give biotin a shot. i've been taking about 2000-3000 mcgs a day for the past couple weeks, and unfortunately i havent noticed a difference. not in my hair or my nails. i do seem to be breaking out a little more than normal, but i cant attribute it to this for sure. perhaps it can't help me because of the TE, but i at least expected for it to make my hair a little more shiny or my nails a little stronger. since there doesnt seem to be any cons about it, i will finish the bottle. maybe i havent been taking it long enough, or taking enough at time. if anything changes, ill be back to edit.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2011 4:55:00 AM More reviews by MsTripleChoc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff works simple! I take 5000mg a day and it makes my hair grow much faster than usual, almost 50% more.

The only downfall is the break outs, drinking loads of water use an anti bac face wash and you should be fine.

I will never stop taking biotin.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 4:24:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have mixed feelings about this product. I bought it for my hair after an atrociously short haircut... no offense to people with short hair, but it just looks horrid on me! I picked this up at Whole Foods... and of course, I chose the Whole Foods brand as it was the cheapest there. The capsules are vegetarian, which is a bonus for me.
Anyway, results. I have NOT seen MIRACULOUS results. I've seen good results, however. My hair didn't grow six inches in a month, it probably grew the same amount as it always does. I have noticed that my hair is somewhat stronger, however. Which means less split ends. I have noticed the best results in my nails, they use to be brittle and just plain crappy but now they can grow fairly long without breaking off or chipping.
My skin did have somewhat of a negative reaction to the pill at first, but that was expected. I had a few cystic acne spots for the first two weeks... nothing I can't handle after going through my teen years. It hasn't made my skin amazing though, it's basically the same as always.
I should probably mention that I'm using a very small dose so that my body doesn't freak out too much, especially since I doooo have acne-prone skin that will just flare up if I change anything in my diet too drastically. I think most people take 1000 mcg or 5000 mcg, I actually take ONE 500 mcg pill a day. It's not very much, but I figure I can just up the dosage steadily if I feel the need to after this bottle runs out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 12:22:00 AM More reviews by Annie225

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use the Sundown brand (1000 mcg) which I started more than a year ago. I bought it for my hair, of which I haven't noticed a difference, but it made my nails go from brittle to strong at the end of two months - I believe it thickened up my nail. In the past, my nails would never grow past the tip, and as short as they were, polish used to chip within a day. Now a manicure lasts 3/4 days with an inexpensive polish like Wet 'n Wild. I know this brand works for my body chemistry because I switched to another brand, thinking they were all the same, and within months my nails were back to their typical brittle self. I have never had an acne problem using this brand or the other one - I guess different people react to things differently. Before you write biotin off, if you have experienced problems with it, I would suggest switching to another brand first.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2011 3:28:00 PM More reviews by XenaY

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Eyebrows grow out so slowly since hair grows in cycles, but I do think that this is helping mine to fill in. It's always so much easier to notice physical changes in other people rather than the ones that are happening to yourself. However, I do think that my brows look thicker and the ends are also growing in some.

I have been taking Biotin for the last couple of months or so. Besides the eyebrows, it seems that the hair on my head is growing faster since the roots are showing faster than they used to.

I am going to continue taking Biotin and will come back with any updates.

*UPDATE* It is now October 22nd. My eyebrows are still very slowly coming along but this update is really about my hair and eyelashes. My hair is growing like gangbusters and I'm having to touch up my roots quite often now, like every two weeks or so. But the real miracle is what Biotin is doing for my eyelashes. My upper eyelashes have always been fairly long but not very thick. Now they are not only long but they're also becoming quite full and curl up very nicely. Even my lower lashes are growing quite long. When I apply my Great Lash Big mascara - wow, my eyelashes look quite impressive!

Since my eyebrows still leave a lot to be desired, I have recently started taking 10 Folic Acid tablets with one B-Complex in the morning with food and then another 10 Folic Acid tablets with another B-Complex in the evening. I've read that this amount and combination helps with eyebrow growth. So let's see what the Biotin together with the Folic Acid and B-Complex does. I'll be back with the results.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by specialribbons

I just finished a 5000mcg bottle of biotin that I've been taking for 2months, but I haven't seen any difference in my hair whatsoever, but my nails have grown longer than they were capable of before.
It didn't break me out since I took the softgels, which don't contain the same fillers as the normal pills. Those fillers are what causes breakouts, not the biotin.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No