October 21, 2014 | 2006 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 5:38:00 PM More reviews by sbowlchica

I used this sparingly in the past... I don't remember why, but I decided to try this again. And I'm so glad I did.

Long story short, I was skeptical that the taurine I was taking was having any effect on my skin and hair. So I stopped. Then I started breaking out like crazy and my hair started falling out again. So I was left with all this acne and scarring. In less than a week after starting on taurine again and using lemon juice as a toner, all the acne and scarring was basically gone. Bam.

Lemon juice and sunscreen are the only two things I regularly use on my face. (When my skin is super dry, I'll put on some evening primrose or argan oil. Great stuff, never breaks me out.) I wash my face only with water and put the lemon juice on as a toner right afterwards. It stings at first, but I was surprised that it didn't make my face red. It actually made my skin lighter and more even! (As an Accutane sufferer, it's very hard to find things that don't make my skin red and irritated.)

The science is all there. Lemon juice is antiseptic (great for fighting acne), contains tons of Vitamin C, (have you been to Sephora and looked at all the crazy expensive vitamin C toners? Well, here's a cheaper version!) and is acidic, so it won't disrupt the acid mantle of your skin (putting basic things on your skin makes your skin more likely to produce oil to overcompensate.)

I also recommend drinking lemon water. Drinking more water is good for any ailment imaginable, but the lemon has an added bonus. As well as the Vitamin C, which promotes iron absorption, lemon juice helps the liver produce bile. So you can get more nutrients out of your food and start reaping the benefits. (Drink it through a straw so it doesn't hurt your teeth, though...)

Tl;dr: Lemon juice is awesome. HG. Try it. The end.

Edit: Too harsh if you use it all the time. Especially during the winter. My skin has gotten a lot drier since I wrote the review, so if you have oily skin, it's great for you. Evening primrose oil is what evens me out now that I have dry skin.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2012 1:02:00 PM More reviews by gunzarelli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Lemon juice toner. 1 part lemon juice to 1 part water. Use real lemon if you want, I just use bottled Realemon.

I have been toning my face twice daily with this, and after my last foray into the terrible La Roche Posay line (Effaclar. Blech), I had myself a doozy of a breakout to deal with. Milia, whiteheads, blackheads, cystic bumps AND flaky, red, dry patches!

A kitchen sink pharmacy messageboard led me to look into lemon juice in facial care. I took the simplest route, and it has paid off! Although my poor face hasn't totally recovered from the LRP breakout, the speed at which the scars are fading, the cystic bumps on my jawline are going away and the fact that (could it be?!) my pores look smaller, and the overall quality and clarity of my skin seems to be improving is downright miraculous, y'all. Especially with such confused skin as mine (Oily? Yep. Clog-prone? Incredibly so. Dehydrated? In spite of 2L of water every day. Sensitive? You betcha.)

Be aware that lemon juice can make your skin photosensitive. If you're going to use it, and spend any amount of time outdoors, sunscreen!!

Try it- it's cheap. If you don't like it, make lemonade.

And remember! Always, always, ALWAYS test patch first!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Lilikoi7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Being about 2 months away from my wedding, I decided as a last ditch effort to try lemon juice. Thank goodness I did! Mind you, I went at it hardcore. I've been using the standard lemon juice concentrate on a cotton ball without diluting it twice a day. It stings a little yes, but nothing to cry about. I've been VERY pleased with how much brighter my complexion is, the rapid fading of my chronic acne scars and hyperpigmentation, and how much it's helped control my moderate acne (including hormonal cystic ones). I did go through a brief 'purging' stage that lasted maybe a week or so but they cleared as soon as they came. When I started I had dull, oily, madly broken out skin with deep red and brown acne scarring. I'm not totally clear but I never have been...yet. Overall, my skin looks MUCH healthier and I will continue to use this permanently. I find myself having to use much less foundation and concealer. Please give this a shot if you have acne and especially scarring. I feel much more confident and hopeful about my skin!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2012 12:23:00 PM More reviews by babybefree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am a longtime reader of beauty product reviews but this is my first time writing one- because lemon juice is the single best product I've found for my skin. My skin is fair, sensitive, and prone to breakouts/hyperpigmentation marks. One week ago, I was struggling with a particularly unsightly breakout and decides to try lemons again (I'd tried them sparingly in the past). I simply cut a thin slice off a lemon and rubbed it around my face in the morning. I was worried that the lemon juice might be too strong for my sensitive skin, especially with blemishes that were raw and healing. Well the juice definitely stung! It's a similar feeling as using an Alpha Hydroxy lotion. I left it on for about ten minutes before washing off with cold water. Even though it stung, the juice accelerated the blemish healing! Each morning I cut a fresh slice (one lemon can provide a few) and the red patches were quickly healing and disappearing as well as the pink hyper pigmentation spots left behind from others. I noticed improvement each day, but by day three or four of using fresh lemon each morning I noticed a pretty drastic change. Ive found that freshly cut lemon works best. My skin is so much more even toned, with hardly any noticeable spots, which is a rare sight for me. It just looks and feels healthy now! And soft/even-toned. And all this improvement was taking place during the week of my time of month! Just seven days later I can look in a mirror and see a healthy fresh face looking back. I know it's not just wishful thinking because for the first time in years I don't cringe when seeing myself in a public bathroom with the terrible lighting in there, and last night I was told whatever I'm doing lately is working!

The only downside is having to have fresh lemons around/ cutting fresh slices every morning and then putting them in the fridge- as compared to using a non-refridgerated product in a dispenser bottle. However the positives far outweigh this small task!

I just really wanted to share my experience with others because I know how frustrating it can be to struggle with blemished skin. Something else I'm doing with these lemons is squeezing some into a glass of water first thing when I get up. I've read that drinking water with this lemon juice first thing can help detox and strengthen the liver as well as give you a boost of energy and metabolism! It's an all around holy grail product from the inside and outside, and I hope this can help someone new looking for help. I'm excited to be able to use makeup alley for its bounty of reviews for other fun makeup products now that I feel comfortable enough to have fun with my makeup. So thanks to all the ladies on here and enjoy!

UPDATE: Hi everyone! I just wanted to further clarify my review- glad so many have been able to benefit already! When I posted this review over the summer, I had my breakouts mostly under control. So when I used lemon, it was primarily over any healing blemishes on their way out and the pink hyperpigmentation spots left over from previous ones. For these two issues, lemon is definitely a great product. I've had pink hyperpigmentation spots dramatically reduce in a week's time if I used a fresh cut slice every morning (I usually use the rest in water to drink so it's all used for the positive).
Be warned- this will sting like no other for a good long minute-especially over any problem/healing spots, and may cause temporary redness. (I have very fair, sensitive, freckled skin, so I imagine these reactions are extreme as it gets, so maybe less for others.) However, it will calm down after a few minutes! Then I'm able to leave it on for a little while if I'm going to be home, or wash it off after a few minutes if I need to get ready and leave. If you don't have extra time to let your skin calm down after use before heading out, I'd recommend waiting til you got home- though honey applied during or after this goes a long way to calm things down-great mask pair.

I mostly just wanted to clarify this and- I'm not sure how this works on active breakouts as I usually wait til they're going away, so you may need to check other reviews for that- seems like most people love it though! Sorry for the long review, but I actually enjoy reading the long detailed ones so I hope this helps.

Edit #3 3/29/13: I believe that this stuff works on the marks, but I have to warn against using this before you've cleared any current blemishes. Yesterday I got a little hasty wanting to improve marks while I still had some blemishes, and it turned any little pink/potential spots into whiteheads in minutes. This could be a good thing for some, if you are trying to bring some blemishes to a head, but if you're trying to reduce the life out of potential spots, this will bring them to life! haha, so use with caution. For this I reduced it to 4 lippies, as its a bad feeling to be worried about some old pink marks and suddenly have five new whiteheads to worry about. I'll still be using in the future though!

Edit #4 11/13: I feel an obligation to reduce my rating to a 1 after learning about how harmful lemon juice can be on the skin as I don't want to encourage it anymore. It's true that it helped fade my post-acne marks, but since I'm trying to take care of my skin as a whole I don't want to disrupts its protective acid mantle in trying to reduce some pigmentation and possibly end up with more breakouts/problems as a result. There are other options available (many even derived from natural sources) that are effective and safe.

26 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2012 5:21:00 PM More reviews by mollieshads

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love using lemon juice, I have typical teenage skin, although not too bad, and lemon juice just makes my spots go down over night! I read this on makeup alley about 2 months ago and Ive been using lemon juice very night ever since. Its the best treatment I can recommend for your skin, it makes it so so soft, and lemons are cheap. I love how it has that natural feel about it being a fruit and all.
I cant recommend it enough especially for spot prone skin,
Sometimes it can sting because it's so acidy but thats totally weighed out by the good stuff, go get lemons!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 2:20:00 AM More reviews by juicyluvr75

well, after reading the rave reviews of lemon juice, i went out to get a bottled version. The first few nights of this seemed to work, but it actually INFLAMED the little flesh colored bumps on my forehead and now they're even more visible than before. I may return to this after i've gotten my skin under control, but for now i'm gonna start using my Alba toner again.

EDIT: so it's about 3 weeks since i've started using this daily, and i really do like it. The pimples on my forehead cleared up eventually, and now my skin feels super soft and more even toned. I have changed the way that i used lemon juice though, and i find that this new method is way more effective.

After cleansing my face, i put some lemon juice on a cotton ball and use it as an overall toner. Before it dries completely, i put on moisturizer and let everything dry. The moisturizer relievess the stinging sensation immediately! If i have any huge blemishes, i'll go back and spot treat using a q-tip. This has helped tremendously in clearing up my skin. It hasn't completely stopped my breakouts, since i still get new pimples every other day or so, but it draws out the whitehead and helps it mend faster.

I don't think it helps all that much with scarring...but i do see a little bit of a difference.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2012 3:39:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

edit: after two uses, this has now faded into oblivion, a scar from hot oil (cooking related obviously) that i've had for over a year on my hand, i've tried all sorts of things on this scar including creams, serums, and rose hip oil. THIS is the only thing that worked, and so fast! i had diluted the lemon juice with a bit of aloe vera gel and honey and left it on overnight.

---
edit: i make a fresh batch quickly at night now. a bit of lemon juice, a bit of honey, a bit of aloe vera gel, a bit of milk, all mixed together, applied like a watery lotion or serum. let dry and apply night cream on top. no more irritation.
Just a couple of drops mixed in with my night moisturizer is what I do. Wash off in morning. The moisturizer helps dilute it, distribute it evenly across the skin, and counter the drying effect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2012 10:30:00 PM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have a large lemon tree in my back yard and I was so excited this past season when they were ripe because I heard such good things about lemon juice toner. It worked really really well! I have mild-moderate adult acne and I'm very picky about what I put on my face. Natural ingredients (except oil) seem to work well with my skin. Lemon juice kinda stings my face, but it's totally worth it; I can feel it cleaning out my pores. I leave it on for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse. My face feels refreshed and squeaky clean afterwards. And it's so cheap! Love it! Maybe I'll mix it with witch hazel (my other favorite natural product) next time!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by pattyr91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Lemon Juice is my HG!!! I don't think there is another product I have ever tried as a facial cleanser/toner that I love this much! No need to go out and pay for expensive products when lemon juice does more than an amazing job. Use lemon juice with salt for oily skin or lemon juice with sugar for dry skin and you will be able to see the results RIGHT AWAY!!! After I end my routine with a mint julep mask and I'm all set with flawless fresh looking skin! <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2012 5:10:00 AM More reviews by shereenmohsen

the first time i use lemon juice when my aunt who
has an amazing skin recomended it . she said lemon will help you get
red of rough skin & get back you real skin she was righ but I complained that lemon juice really sting when you apply it
for a while , However I found a trick to get the more benifet of lemon
with no sting. the trick is to add some other good ingredients for
lemon juce so I simply add powder milk & a couple of water
drops the result was amazing soft , fresh& clearer skin

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No