July 31, 2014 | 1642 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Midnight Poison

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2007 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Annechka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the only Dior pefume I've really liked, its interesting and kind of grows on you. Not too sweet

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2007 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Mirtilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Descibed as "a mysterious black rose on an ambery patchouly base", I find this fragrance pretty insignificant. I usually like Dior fragrances, but this one is nothing special to me. In conclusion, I know I’m in a small minority here, but my advice is to buy this perfume only if you aren't looking for a "distinctive smell".

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2007 5:46:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

Well… it seems that I have to test and go back a little to commercial perfumes these autumn…
I simply couldn't skip this one, of course. Still another Poison. Again. No problem. I don't let myself be scared by names. Even by other names the Diors don't usually work with my skin and personality. I guess I'm a little of the perfume-snob, at least my friends say so, but I don't feel like that. I love the original vintage Poison Esprit de Parfum and loathe all the other Poisons, all different and all equally unbearable, from scaring galbanum Tendre to nausea-inducing plasticky Hypnotique to harsh/masculin Pure.
So I didn't expect much from Midnight and its tacky '80s marketing, so resembling Cacharel Loulou's one. Actually that was better and more original. As a "parfum pour une moderne Cendrillon" I expected clouds of baby powder, but luckily it's not powdery.
Ok, I must confess I quite like this scent and its intrinsecal grossness.
It starts very fruity, sweet and tangerine, quite fresh, not bad.
Then it tries to become rosy and here is where it falls a bit, because the gorgeous oriental rose note is willing to climb out without never truly emerging. Bad thing.
The poor rose sinks in sweet ambered/vanilled patchouli. Not that I don't like those notes, because vanille is one of my favourite notes and it keeps amber from being powdery and patchouli from being pungent. I'm only sad for the rose.
There the scent comes to the end of its evolution with a really vague hint of incense and aniseed. Aniseed is not something I want to smell of, but at least it manages to be discreet, just giving some freshness to the scent till the end and making it slightly disturbing masculin. This is in common with Pure Poison drydown.
Midnight Poison is sweet and floral, alluring to an oriental without being it, not complex at all actually it's a very simple daring scent, dangerously walking on the blade edge between wearability and complete cheap grossness.
If they made it just a little more gross it would have violently precipited to drugstore cheap candy synthetic deospray plus intimate wash.
Instead Midnight Poison is like a provocative teeny that plays at being adult with supposedly sexy gestures and lollipop in her little glossy lips. Too young to be considered a gross inelegant woman, too old to be considered a playing child.
Somehow annoying, somehow challenging, a game that can shortly become boring.
Commercial, fashionable, reasonably wearable, barely cloying.
Just use and go further.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2007 2:12:00 PM More reviews by raincheck

This was much more floral then I expected, but its very comfy. A bit smoky, sweet and floral. The incense is light enough the general consumer probably wouldn't describe it as incensy, but its there and I love the smokiness of it. At times the floral is a bit much for me but I still really enjoy this perfume its my favorite out of the Poison line, but if you really hate florals you'll probably be annoyed by this fragrance and even more annoyed that the florals sneak up on you out what could be a wonderfully smoky, exotic fragrance.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2007 9:54:00 AM More reviews by pixieface

I am madly in love with this fragrance, I actually feel a bit guilty in saying that my beloved Coco Chanel Madamoiselle has competition when I'm deciding what scent I will be wearing for the day. I only recently bought this perfume and I seriously have no regrets. This has great lasting power and like CCM you only need a couple of sprays in the appropriate pulse points and you'll have a lovely waft of fragrance for most of the day. I will also say that I will be wearing this fragrance summer and winter. This fragrance is to damn good to wait until winter to wear:) EDIT 15/8/08 Not madly in love with this anymore, it started to smell like Vicks Vapour Rub after a while, the first fragrance I've bought and changed my mind about, threw it out 'cause I knew I wouldn't wear it again. Unfortunaltely an expensive mistake.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2007 9:53:00 PM More reviews by doree_001

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Seemed quite different than most of recently released fragrances when I first tried it. Then I tried it again and it didn't seem so new or original any more. It is not bad. Very, very 'dry' on my skin, so strange, I haven't experienced that in many fragrances - I liked that at first, it was something new for me, but after second trying I was not so pleased any more. No, it will not work for me. But I am sure it will have many fans.
And one more thing: I really can't understand why they can't invent a new name for a fragrance (and a new bottle). Why again Poison? Now we have 5 or 6 Poisons? Why in the world?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2007 5:13:00 PM More reviews by syltetyta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

This is going to be my next fragrance purchase, definately. I love the idea of putting the heart/base notes as top notes - as I usually prefer the scent of a fragrance developed. Hopefully it also means that the fragrance won't wear off quickly like other perfumes. I have been searching for that perfect fragrance this year, only to end up buying oldie's like D&G classic and Oscar and Obsession and so on.
I also wanted Liberté, but couldn't find it (I only purchase fragrance online or at airports). Somewhere this summer I sampled Diesel "Fuel for life" which had a wonderfull blackcurrant note in it which I loved, unfortunately it dried down to a regular gourmand scent. Midnight Poison is somewhat similar in the first burst of citrusy - almost minty freshness before it dries down, but that fresh note stays put all the way.

For fall and winter, I have found my new HG - Midnight Poison.
And, I thankfully don't find any resemblance to Angel - which I don't like. Some of you would maybe compare it to Stella too, which is another fragrance that I don't like. No similarities there for me. And for "gourmand" lovers - stay away. This is not up that alley.

Clearly I tend to like the Poison family as I now own: Tendre, Hypnotic, and Pure, allthough Hypnotic is the one I like the least, and Pure is mostly my HG summer fragrance for me now.
Midnight will fit right into my allready large fragrance collection with its rose-patchouli scent which I don't have. I also believe that I will like Midnight better than the other Poisons, to me this blend of scents seem a little more finished and refined than the other ones from the line, a bit more in the line of rare concotions. I don't really think that this will be a fragrance found under most of this years Christmas trees, but then again I could be wrong.

The only thing I don't get is that the target is younger ladies - I find this too dry for that market, also because it could be worn just as good on the right man. I would be surprised if a girl younger than 25 would choose to wear it, but I might be wrong.
It is not a very feminine scent - not sweet, and it is not one of my typical dark, heavy, spicy, intense, soft, ambery/vanilla drydown skinscents. And, it's not a fruity or airy scent either.
Midnight Poison is something else, and it needs space - because it makes a dramatic entrance and takes over the scene completely. I don't think most of the targeted young ladies is mature or confident enough to wear it, but that's just my opinion.

It consists of: Mandarin orange, bergamot, ambrox, black rose, patchouli, amber and bourbon vanilla.

The bottle is the prettiest of all the Poison perfumes, with the midnight blue color.

UPDATE: I'm on the fence....I really love how it smells on my skin. But lately I have been sniffing this scent on very young ladies that seem to have taken a bath in it - it screams all over the place.
This is a fragrance one has to be careful spraying on -or else it'll be so loud it'll take over a whole barbeque.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2007 11:42:00 PM More reviews by 8ball

This is the first fragrance that made me laugh out loud when I first sniffed it. OK, I'm dating myself, but you know how a fragrance can cause a flashback? Well, this one sent me right back to the head shops in Greenwich Village in the 1960's hippie days. Can you say patchouli & incense? Hey, crank up the Jethro Tull, get a bong, and groove.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2007 4:40:00 PM More reviews by candra

Yummy! Very sexy, but not overpowering like other dior (poison) fragrances. You only need a little to last all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2007 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Olyashka

That's the most wonderful Dior's Poison... When I first smelled it, I did not like it - it resembled me dentist's cabinet :( but then I sprayed it on my arm and was astonished by its beauty. Could not resist and purchased it