October 25, 2014 | 1953 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2010 8:41:00 PM More reviews by illegalseagull

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I first bought this product in the summer, when I was in the sun and tan. It had great coverage, went on really smoothly, and I got a lot for my money (compared to other TMs).

One downside is that it's not oil-free, so be prepared for breakouts depending on your skin type. However, I do have bad acne in general, but I found that this didn't really have a drastic effect (whether positive or negative) on my skin.

Another downside is that, yes, it does run dark, and it only has three color choices! I'm pretty sure that if there were more choices, way more people would use this product. As soon as summer ended and I stopped being in the sun so much, I looked like a crazy person with obvious dark makeup on my face, so I haven't been able to use it since, since I miss it.

My advice is to go to a store and try it on (rather than getting it online blindly), and see if it really works for your skin type. If it does....lucky you!

Also, the packaging is great. It's so much easier to get out than other brands, like Stila for example.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by itsmotherlymandy

I LOVE THIS THING. It evens out my skintone and brightens it. And it keeps my face all moisturized throughout the day. I love it. And it lasts pretty long too. I had it for a month and my mom was like..."Did you use this yet?" LOL. The only downside is the price...$25.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2009 2:50:00 PM More reviews by nebbishx0

I LOVE IT. I bought it in Light, it matches my skin tone almost to a T. It's heavy enough to cover my acne/redness, but not so heavy that it feels like I've caked on a bunch of makeup. It does an amazing job of moisturizing and stays looking wonderful on my face all day.
I love this so much, I actually use it in lieu of foundation. I haven't found a foundation that makes me as happy as this TM does.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2009 3:40:00 PM More reviews by HotCurry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So I'm an NC35 and I read all the reviews that the colors ran dark, so I ordered mine in Light/Medium from Sephora (my local Sephora doesn't carry TheBalm products) and it's way too light! In my opinion these actually run light, as I also ordered Medium and even it's not very dark, and while I am tanned at the moment, I'm still not very dark! Anyhow, as for the product itself it's a nice hydrating cream formula, very easy to spread and sinks into the skin with no greasiness (and I'm oily)! Looks very natural and of coarse provides sheer coverage. An excellent drugstore dupe of this would be Jane's TM (which I used and loved for a long time). I agree with the previous reviewer, this has a much better texture than either of LM's formula's! Def. repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by cherryjane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised at all of the negative reviews of this TM! I love it!

I'm NC25-30 and the Light shade is a great match for me. I have been on the hunt for a good TM for a while now - I've tried Stila's Illuminating and I've swatched Laura Mercier. I actually believe that this has a better texture than Laura Mercier.

This TM does not have a whitish cast and you can barely smell the sunscreen element. It does not have an overwhelming sunscreen smell at all, like many do. When you first put it on it does not go on streaky nor does it look white/like sunscreen. I've used this consistently for about a week and I was very happy with the results. I would throw on this, some blush, highlighter, and mascara, and had a minimalist look that I was very pleased with.

Obviously because this is a TM you're not going to get a huge amount of coverage for acne/redness. I thought it minimized mine just slightly, but I wasn't too preoccupied. Overall, this TM did even out my skin tone, esp. on my eyelids (to reduce the appearance of my veins).

I bought this for a holiday trip and I will most definitely be taking it along with me! Very happy!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2009 10:19:00 PM More reviews by rawrrawrrawramy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This has got to be the WORST product I've EVER purchased. Sure, it looks great on.. gives a nice dewey glow.. but after only a few days of using this I have five massive pimples on my face and many smaller ones. I hardly EVER break out but this really did it for me. It has CASTOR OIL in it, one of the worse things you can put on your face. I definitely wouldn't risk the chance of breaking my skin out to try this one. Back to Sephora it goes!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2008 3:20:00 AM More reviews by sugarycactus

I'm pretty so-so on this prodcut; it moisturizes well, has fairly decent coverage and SPF, but like others, this has oxidized orange on me. I have very fair skin with strong yellow undertones. It looks good when you first put it on, but it slowly turns orange throughout the day. This would be a great product if it stayed the color it came out of the tube.

As for coverage, it covers lightly. Enough to even out your skin tone, but not enough to cover dark circles or acne/acne scars. I really like the hydrating effect, but until they come out with a formula that won't turn me orange, I won't be buying this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2008 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Ruby2003

I really wish I could say I love this. I do love how it covers, how it feels, how easy it is to apply. However like others I get the orange cast with it. I got Light/Medium and it should match my winter medium skin. I am really sad cause it does feel great and for the most part looks great, except the orange hue :(

it got 2 lippies because its a nice texture and provides smooth application. The color is just all wrong.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2008 7:52:00 PM More reviews by totopuff

This product makes my face glow. My bf met me at the airport after being apart for a while and asked me what I did with my skin! It's Fall now so I think the moisturizing ingredients in BalmShelter are appropriate. It will probably be too oily for the more humid months.

I've been trying to simplify my daily regimen and find stuff that's a great value - this product does the job at less than $25 for a big tube. Will buy again, although it might take a while to finish using it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2008 10:06:00 AM More reviews by kimberpoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ok, I just started using this product but here are my initial findings. I like this TM. I usually just use moisturizer and powder (no foundations or tm) but this had such good reviews and I have been so into TheBalm brand lately, I figured I would give it a try. While applying, it doesn't appear to be covering much, but by the time you are done it will look like a huge difference....you just appear more even toned and polished. My skin has lots of light freckles allllll over and plenty of redness from old blemishes, but after applying this and a powder I look flawless. Also, I find with most TM that they don't cover my under eye darkness at all....but this one does! and the redness on my upper lid as well. I still need concealer, but this really improves the appearance of my nasty darkness. I think you should definitely set this TM with a powder, unless you are going for a dewy look as it looks very dewy on your skin. I used a light brushing of clinique powder over it, and that worked fine. I find the smell of it plesant, but I love the smell of sunscreen. (reminds me of summer!) the smell fades about 10 seconds after you apply though, so even if you don't like it, it shouldn't be an issue. Overall, I would say give it a try! I'm loving it! I'm going to wear it while I work out tonight, so if there are any changes in my review I will update :)

Update: I am in love with this tm!!!! I wear it every day now, and my skin looks great. I use Sexy Mama powder from TheBalm to set it and my concealer, and I have a perfect, polished face :) love!