December 20, 2014 | 1114 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by princess101

If I could give this a higher rating, I would! I am a fair NC20 with combo/oily skin. For those reasons, I prefer to have a tinted moisturizer in the summer, as opposed to a heavy matte foundation that I wear in the winter months. I also like products with SPF in them, as wearing SPF alone, even with claims to be non-greasy, always make me look like an oil slick or clogs my pores. Enter Balm Shelter. This product does everything I want and more.

It hydrates my skin sufficiently without the need for another moisturizer underneath. The coverage is great---easily hides any redness or uneveness, and doesn't settle into any lines or wrinkles, nor does it emphasize any dry patches. The SPF is an added bonus and does not clog my pores. Lastly, it dries to nice matte finish, without looking fake or cakey. I top this off with a light pressed powder and I'm good to go all day long. It really does control my oil and doesn't oxidize and turn orangey on me. Most TMs I have tried do and are returned immediately. The packaging is great, in that it is in a sanitary squeeze tube. My only grip is the price. It is $32 CDN, but a little does go a long way. I have to keep in mind that this product is doing the job of 3-in-1, so I really shouldn't complain.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by tuffins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am really loving this right now! As the warm weather approaches I decided I needed to track down a tinted moisturizer. I noticed TheBalm has started selling products in Canada now. I found this line at Rexall and London Drugs.

I sampled light-medium and medium shades and decided to go for light-medium. The coverage is way better than I had expected so I am delighted with that aspect. The colour is perfect and I haven't noticed any colour shift as the day goes on. It is a fairly large tube IMO at 2.25 fl oz. I have fairly dry skin so the added moisture is a bonus (I still apply moisturizer before this). The sunscreen element is great (SPF 18), my skin really likes it, and my face looks brighter and more even with this on. Never shiny or greasy looking.

The one weird thing about this product was the tube it came in. 'SPF 18' was crossed out where ever it was written on the tube. That freaked me out a little bit so I contacted the company to ask what was up. The emailed me back the same day with this explaination. I was very impressed with the timely reply!

"Our product does in fact contain SPF 18, however in Canada Sun Protection is considered a drug and we are waiting to have this approved in Canada before we can legally claim the sun protection. This is why we have to legally mark off of the product until it is accepted by Canada, soon we will not have to mark this off our products."

So if you live in Canada - that is why it is crossed out. A bit pricey at $32CDN but I will keep using it if it keeps giving me these results!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2010 7:11:00 AM More reviews by Boa_Elva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I totally love this products! omg heaven!!! it's gonna be my HG. though i also love my bb creams :). This also work like a bb cream, but it has till medium shade. IT really can cover pores, my dark circles, polished and even out our skintone. A MUST buy products. Even i myself as a guy wear this. I hate foundation makes one, look fake and like a drag queen. bb cream and this tinted moisturizer make ppl look like having nothing on, but it gave a polished and even toned skin :) HURRAY to thebalm :)

EDIT: i have mix with boots no7 illuminating lotion. THE RESUT IS Fantastic ... this tinted moisturizer is my HG!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2010 8:41:00 PM More reviews by illegalseagull

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I first bought this product in the summer, when I was in the sun and tan. It had great coverage, went on really smoothly, and I got a lot for my money (compared to other TMs).

One downside is that it's not oil-free, so be prepared for breakouts depending on your skin type. However, I do have bad acne in general, but I found that this didn't really have a drastic effect (whether positive or negative) on my skin.

Another downside is that, yes, it does run dark, and it only has three color choices! I'm pretty sure that if there were more choices, way more people would use this product. As soon as summer ended and I stopped being in the sun so much, I looked like a crazy person with obvious dark makeup on my face, so I haven't been able to use it since, since I miss it.

My advice is to go to a store and try it on (rather than getting it online blindly), and see if it really works for your skin type. If it does....lucky you!

Also, the packaging is great. It's so much easier to get out than other brands, like Stila for example.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by itsmotherlymandy

I LOVE THIS THING. It evens out my skintone and brightens it. And it keeps my face all moisturized throughout the day. I love it. And it lasts pretty long too. I had it for a month and my mom was like..."Did you use this yet?" LOL. The only downside is the price...$25.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2009 2:50:00 PM More reviews by nebbishx0

I LOVE IT. I bought it in Light, it matches my skin tone almost to a T. It's heavy enough to cover my acne/redness, but not so heavy that it feels like I've caked on a bunch of makeup. It does an amazing job of moisturizing and stays looking wonderful on my face all day.
I love this so much, I actually use it in lieu of foundation. I haven't found a foundation that makes me as happy as this TM does.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2009 3:40:00 PM More reviews by HotCurry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So I'm an NC35 and I read all the reviews that the colors ran dark, so I ordered mine in Light/Medium from Sephora (my local Sephora doesn't carry TheBalm products) and it's way too light! In my opinion these actually run light, as I also ordered Medium and even it's not very dark, and while I am tanned at the moment, I'm still not very dark! Anyhow, as for the product itself it's a nice hydrating cream formula, very easy to spread and sinks into the skin with no greasiness (and I'm oily)! Looks very natural and of coarse provides sheer coverage. An excellent drugstore dupe of this would be Jane's TM (which I used and loved for a long time). I agree with the previous reviewer, this has a much better texture than either of LM's formula's! Def. repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by cherryjane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised at all of the negative reviews of this TM! I love it!

I'm NC25-30 and the Light shade is a great match for me. I have been on the hunt for a good TM for a while now - I've tried Stila's Illuminating and I've swatched Laura Mercier. I actually believe that this has a better texture than Laura Mercier.

This TM does not have a whitish cast and you can barely smell the sunscreen element. It does not have an overwhelming sunscreen smell at all, like many do. When you first put it on it does not go on streaky nor does it look white/like sunscreen. I've used this consistently for about a week and I was very happy with the results. I would throw on this, some blush, highlighter, and mascara, and had a minimalist look that I was very pleased with.

Obviously because this is a TM you're not going to get a huge amount of coverage for acne/redness. I thought it minimized mine just slightly, but I wasn't too preoccupied. Overall, this TM did even out my skin tone, esp. on my eyelids (to reduce the appearance of my veins).

I bought this for a holiday trip and I will most definitely be taking it along with me! Very happy!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2009 10:19:00 PM More reviews by rawrrawrrawramy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This has got to be the WORST product I've EVER purchased. Sure, it looks great on.. gives a nice dewey glow.. but after only a few days of using this I have five massive pimples on my face and many smaller ones. I hardly EVER break out but this really did it for me. It has CASTOR OIL in it, one of the worse things you can put on your face. I definitely wouldn't risk the chance of breaking my skin out to try this one. Back to Sephora it goes!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2008 3:20:00 AM More reviews by sugarycactus

I'm pretty so-so on this prodcut; it moisturizes well, has fairly decent coverage and SPF, but like others, this has oxidized orange on me. I have very fair skin with strong yellow undertones. It looks good when you first put it on, but it slowly turns orange throughout the day. This would be a great product if it stayed the color it came out of the tube.

As for coverage, it covers lightly. Enough to even out your skin tone, but not enough to cover dark circles or acne/acne scars. I really like the hydrating effect, but until they come out with a formula that won't turn me orange, I won't be buying this again.