TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxcinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer/Isohexadecane/Polysorbate 60, Styrene/Dvb Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate [+/- Ci 77891, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499]

on 2/5/2011 7:40:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this- I normally wear foundation but I decided to try something a but more natural as I have no real need for foundation as my skin is pretty clear. I got the Light shade which is a perfect match (I'm a NC15 in mac) i always moisturise before hand, just because you get a better result, it goes on really well, perfect coverage for a tinted moisturiser- it passes the freckles test! (meaning that they are still visible) I have not found a fault with this- it lasts all day at school and makes my skin look so pretty and natural!
I would highly reccomend this and I would buy it again!

on 2/2/2011 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is some pretty good stuff. The coverage is *just right* for a TM. You cannot expect it to cover big imperfections, it's just not gonna happen. But this gives the most amazing glow i've found out of any TM i've used. It doesn't fade too badly throughout the day either, nor does it transfer. It just gives such a beautiful finish. What really peaked my fancy was that I accidentally bought the "light" shade the first time and of course it looked ridiculous on my medium skin, but when i applied a medium colored loose powder over it the color blended in SEAMLESSLY. I was actually amazed.
Now for the cons...this isn't very moisturizing, which isn't a big deal for me since I have oily skin but for dry skin girls you'll want to use a moisturizer before applying this. Also, maybe it's just me but I think this has a slight gray cast to it which goes away when you apply powder, but i'd really like to use this alone with no other product. Because of the SPF in this, you will look paler in flash photography. Lastly, I wish this was a few bucks cheaper.
Overall, this TM is extemely underrated. I will for sure repurchase :)
I should add that the colors run very dark. Light was too light for me, but light/medium was very dark. So i mix the two colors together and apply lightly, or like I said earlier, just use Light but use a medium powder over it.
By the way, I gave this 4 lippies but I really think this is worthy of a 4.5

on 1/2/2011 5:04:00 PM

I have tried a few tinted moisturizers (smashbox, clinique, laura mercier) and I always return them. I do not wear foundation and I have no desire to put make up all over my face. I was looking for something to go over my primer (smashbox light) that would make my face look "naturally" flawless.

This TM does just that! Totally evens out my skin, looks so natural and feels soft as ever. Gives a dewy but not oily look. I am a huge fan.

on 12/30/2010 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have tried just about every tinted moisturizer out there since I hate the feel of makeup on my skin. Laura Mercier is raved about but it breaks me out and her oil free one is like chalk on my skin. This feels like you are are putting moisturizer on and not makeup. The coverage is buildable and very easy to apply. For a fancy evening out, I prefer to do up my face a little more with a foundation but for everyday, I wear this.

on 12/10/2010 6:46:00 PM

Those of us who wear tinted moisturiser are usually looking for a product that moisturises. That is the first requirement and this product definitely delivers. The colour range isn't great, but I chose "light" and found it to be a great match for my skin. It's a yellow based foundation and very flattering. I apply this with my fingers and it blends completely. I usually apply my foundations with a sponge and have to blend quite a bit to get an even finish. With Balm Shelter, I can apply with my fingers and this blends like a dream! The coverage is medium to light, but it is definitely buildable. The result is dewy and lovely. The SPF18 sunscreen works. I have been very fortunate to find two fantastic tinted moisturisers in the last few weeks, one was Clarins Super Restorative Tinted Cream and the other was Balm Shelter. Balm Shelter is much cheaper and does a comparable job! I just wish I could find it in Australia rather than having to order it online! Will definitely order it again. This will probably be my HG foundation from now on.
Edited 20/02/11 Strawberrynet have just added "light" to its online store so I can purchse this product for $17.00 Australian! This is sooooooo cheap!

on 12/2/2010 6:17:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I don't wear makeup. I hate the feeling of makeup on my face. I take good care of my skin, but I do have some redness in the cheek area. I have tried many different Tinted Moisturizers and all have been a huge disappointment because they felt so heavy and cakey. I decided to give this TM a try... I am so glad I did! It is very creamy and sheer. The coverage is perfect for my very fair skin, and it definitely does not feel heavy.

on 11/22/2010 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

The only tinted moisturizer I have ever used and not hated!
I have fairly clear skin in regards to acne, but my skin is excessively "pink" toned, so I have to use some kind of foundation every day in order to not look sunburnt and blotchy. This stuff is wonderful, because in addition to covering my pink-ness without looking heavy or cakey, it moisturizes and actually helps soothe my very sensitive skin! It has SPF which is a must in any product for me. Also, there's 2oz in a tube- twice as much as you get in most MAC liquid foundations! Overall, a very good buy.

on 11/14/2010 2:13:00 PM

oh my goodness, could this actually be a TM that doesn't sink into my gaping craters known as pores?! WOW! Having tried many, which end up being given to friends blessed with better skin than I am, I didn't think it was possible. But I guess it is. Just for cutting my daily routine down from 3 products (moisturiser, primer, sun cream),to 1, this is worth its weight in gold. Thank you theBalm! ps and it looks lovely on the skin, always a bonus! :-)
UPDATE: have been using this non stop now for a month, I don't think it will ever leave my arsenal. Now that its winter, I'm using a small amount of argan oil, BalmShelter and Too Face primed + poreless powder.... my skin looks lovely, I never thought I'd say that but its the truth

on 10/31/2010 4:32:00 AM

This is my HG TM. I cant find another TM that I like as much as this. During the winter, I use Light/Medium and Medium over the summer. This goes on light and sheer but still covers up redness and discoloration. It gives me a really nice even tone. It absorbs well and I never feel oily through out the day when I have this on. Before I found this, I would avoid wearing TM's because they made me oily, so I ended up wearing liquid foundation to school (which i honestly think is too much for school) but after I found this, I dont wear liquid foundation anymore except on special occasions. I have pretty good skin and I dont get acne so i dont really have a lot to cover up so a TM is perfect for everyday!

The tube itself is pretty big compared to other TMs so i dont really mind paying 18 bucks. (trust me I've seen smaller ones that sell for at least 40 bucks) And the tube lasts good amount of time because a little goes a long way. I use very little and my face is still moisturized and even. Also it does a pretty good job of staying on. I sweat through out the day during the summer walking around school but when I get home at night and wash my face, I still see color on the cloth i use to wash my face.

On a side note, this TM is not oil free, and at forst I was afraid it would break me out, but i've been using this for so long and have never broke out from it ever

on 10/14/2010 1:50:00 PM

I was on a crusade to find the perfect TM, and I think I found it. Sephora’s Time Balm: Balm Shelter provides adequate coverage, and makes my face feel smooth.

I had been using CG Smoothers for about 6 years, but noticed my skin looking old, wrinkled and dry. I searched for alternate TM’s, and the consensus seemed to be Laura Mercier…but I refuse to pay that much for makeup. A strong runner up was Balm Shelter, and it lives up to its reviews! I’ve got very sallow, uneven skin and very severe dark circles. Although Balm Shelter doesn’t cover the imperfections perfectly (I still need concealer and powder), it does a great job smoothing things out. On days when I just don’t give a damn, I feel comfortable wearing only it.

It’s got a nice, light sun-tan-lotiony scent, and it goes on so smoothly. It’s nice and rich without being heavy or greasy. My skin feels noticeably soft after I use it.

Also, although it looks dark (I got the light/medium) and perhaps orange, it blend perfectly and looks natural on my face.

I highly recommend it as a mid-priced option. Compared to CG and Olay’s TMs, it’s the clear winner.