October 1, 2014 | 1891 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2007 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Sowga

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product! It works extremely well, and the product goes on beautifullly. I actually use it as a translucent powder over my sunscreen and a little concealer. It stays matte, and is sheer--looks gorgeous. I had no problems with the brush and retracting it--I read the directions on the packaging....

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2007 6:29:00 PM More reviews by chrissa

The Good:
-Cheaper than Colorscience (which is $50) at $30 for essentially titanium dioxide powder (which is dirt cheap). I still don't understand why these are more expensive than lotion based sunscreens. Surely BE could put out a similar sunscreen product and it would cost less than $30

-Works well, doesn't make me break out (all chemical sunscreens do), doesn't leave any color, also great for decolletage, and no greasy lotion (save that for the rest of the body)

The Bad:
-Before I saw the reviews on MUA, I had no idea you could protect the brush by sliding the cover up to put the cap on, then slide the sleeve back down and it keeps the brush from fraying. Earth to marketing: something you may want to point out.

The Bottom Line:
-I'll keep using it because I'm at the mercy of physical sunscreens, but honestly they should make this as cheap as Neutrogena

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2007 7:37:00 PM More reviews by hrh663

For everyone who has a hard time closing/capping the brush container...READ THE INSTRUCTION BELOW:
There's a cap on the bottom of the brush..if you twist open the whole thing, the powder spills out. So the trick is, turn the cap a little bit and with a LOT of force, hold the middle of the container(sleeve) and PULL UP! and voile!! the sleeve goes up, and you can easily close the brush container with the clear cap.
TIP: Don't put the sleeve all the way down since it's really hard to pull the sleeve back up~!! so the next time you pull up the container, you can easily slide it up without having to forcefully yank it up! hope everyone finds the instruction easy to follow~ because the product itself is pretty good~~

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by PuffyMiddlepart

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice product, but the worst packaging in history. Could not get mine to turn and neither could the saleswoman at Sephora--it exploded all over both of us. Then we found another saleswoman who had been "trained" by the company and literally it took three full minutes for her to wedge the thing open and she kept saying "they showed me how to do it but it's still impossible, I'm so sorry"

Seriously--this seems like a good product and I'd like to add it to my handbag for extra midday applications of sunscreen, especially post yoga, but they're going to have to repackage it before I can do anything about it. It's absurd.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/27/2007 2:41:00 AM More reviews by christietx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wonder if they've improved the packaging in the short time it's been on the market. The packaging on mine did not twist down or up to protect the bristles. When I returned it to Sephora, the salesperson said nearly every unit sold was returned for that reason.If they've improved that, it would be worth trying it again.

UPDATE - I was at Sephora today and asked the salesperson to show me how to protect the brush while putting on the cap. Several salespeople played with it, but there was not a way to move the bristles on the packaging. I'm not sure why some stores have different packaging then other stores.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2007 2:37:00 PM More reviews by glee52

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The bristles do turn down! All you have to do is pull down and they retract!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2007 11:57:00 AM More reviews by Princess_Mom

I have very sensitive skin and had yet to find a daily sunscreen that would not cause my skin to break out. I also use AHA and BHa, so using a daily sunscreen is a must. This sunscreen works well, th powder disappears on the skin w/out a trace and it works. However, the brush and cap design leave a lot to be desired. First of all, you have to be careful so it doesn't spill out, second and most obvious is that the brush is TOO LARGE to fit back in the cap. I don't understand how PTR didn't notice this. The brush is really taking a beating every time I put the cap on and I try very hard to be careful. Even w/ these issues, i will keep using it because it is compatible with my skin and doesn't make me breat out. UPDATE: Don't I feel silly. All you have to do is pull down and the brush retracts, letting you place the cap back on w/out a problem. D'oh!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2007 8:34:00 AM More reviews by silvie90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this powder sunscreen but was a bit disappointed. I would give 3.5 stars if possible.
Pros: spf 30 in a light, non-oily, portable powder form & in a color suitable for most skin tones.
Cons: brush is cheap quality and leaves little black brittles on your face or wherever you use it, smells bad (though fades pretty quickly), brush is impossible to fit back into the cap so the bristles stick out and continue to erode the already low-quality brush, quantity of product is pretty small for the cost. UPDATE: I am upgrading this product a star because--as a kind reader here pointed out--you CAN actually put the brush back into the cap easily. Just pull back (and do NOT twist) the base and the whole unit contracts back, so you can easily slide the cap on.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2007 4:11:00 PM More reviews by Joei24

The first time I bought this I made the mistake of twisting the bottom as I closed the top. All of the product spilled out onto my counter and sink.
I love the idea of powder foundation as I have acne prone skin. I just wish I could see it so I would know if I missed a spot. Other than that, I really like this product. It's easy to apply and I haven't broken out.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2007 11:20:00 PM More reviews by chaachawuman

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would love to give this product 5 stars, but the brush is just so coarse, everytime I apply the sunscreen/tinted poweder, I feel like the brush is just pushing it away and itching my skin. The idea is fabulous and the color and tint is easy to match to most skin tones. I use it, even with the rough brush, mainly becuase it does work, despite it's unpleasant feeling.