September 19, 2014 | 1271 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2013 12:25:00 AM More reviews by mmherman

I asked my sister to buy this for me for Christmas. I have been intrigued by this product for years, but could never fork over the $20 to buy it. Seems like such a waste for what it was....a pink sponge. I could buy a whole bag of cosmetic sponges for $6 at Sallys. Why did I need this sponge?

The answer is I really didn't. It performs well and I like that it is reusable, but its really no better than a nice cosmetic wedge sponge. I mean don't get me wrong...I like it. I'm glad I got to try it, but am I addicted...no. Foundation goes on nicely, but my foundation doesn't seem to last as long when I use the sponge. It looks wonderful for a few hours and then the foundation seems to disintegrate faster than normal.

The sponge itself is well made and seems like it will last awhile. It does get stained with foundation and it looks sort of gross afterwards, but it is a sponge so those sorts of things will happen. It is relatively easy to clean. I heard that shaving soap works well to clean them and I'm going to try that because I don't want to buy the beautyblender cleansers as they are expensive.

The sponge does have pink dye that washes away when you squeeze it, but I have not noted any transferring of pink to my face. I know some people have expressed concerns about that, but believe me I think it is just a false worry.

All in all I would give the product a 3.5. I debated giving it a 4, but didn't because I reserve 4 and 5 for products I'm completely enamored with. I haven't fallen in love with this "magical" sponge, but I will update you if I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 6:16:00 AM More reviews by ladypamela1

I totally see what all the fuss is about! Finally got the real thing, and I have never, ever looked better. It is easy to use and I find I actually use much less makeup then I did before. I agree with the reviewer who said this is idiot-proof! This does not sacrifice full coverage or sheer makeup out---I hate to use the word "airbrushed" but for now that will have to do. It's really me? That was my first thought when I started using it. I look like the best me I could be as far as outer beauty is concerned. Cleaning it--ok that one I struggle with- I am afflicted with some type of minor neat freak disorder I am sure!---and have tried all kinds of stuff to get it pristine except splurge for their own cleanser and that will not happen at this point! It is stained already. Still, I cannot prune a rating point off for that. Well worth the investment. You will not be sorry.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/25/2013 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Kittenwhiskas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this out of curiosity given all the hype, but found that its only useful for very sheer application and it takes lots of practice to get the application even.

However, it also absorbs WAY too much foundation (even after wetting it and squeezing out the excess) and its impossible to keep clean. It took a lot of time and repeated doses of baby shampoo to get this clean (more wasted product) and yet it still wasn't completely clean.

Bottom line is my buffing brush (I use Urban Decay good karma optical blurring brush) gives me excellent coverage without the fuss, and quick and easy to clean, so I'll be sticking with that.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2013 12:57:00 AM More reviews by Vmh0925

Anybody that trues to persuade you into buying a cheap sponge or a dupe and claims that it works just as good as the original BeautyBlender is either a peddler or has never tried the original!!! No other sponge compares to this one. Not the Sonia Kashuk one, the SOHO NY one nor the ones you get at discount stores like Marshalls or Ross! Buy the original. Its pricey but its worth it.

It makes cream and liquid foundation application easier and blendable. With proper use it creates a seamless, flawless, full coverage look. Ive also used it to set my makeup with MSF or BEN NYE powders when i ran out of wedge sponges.

Make sure you use it dampened, not wet. This sponge is reusable so I suggest you invest in the cleanser as well. If youre a Pro Makeup Artist, i dont recommend buying the pink one. Even when its clean it looks stained and that can look really unprofessional.

I personally love this sponge. I will run through a fire to get another one!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2013 3:24:00 PM More reviews by lashandbrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Really great for foundation. I encourage you to try it - especially if you are new to makeup. Goof proof and worst case scenario you can return it. Sephora is great about that.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by feelingcold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This makes applying foundation idiot proof. I always had a hard time making foundation look natural. The best I could do was using the "pour foundation into hands, rub together, rub all over your face" method. When I used sponges I ended up with lines. When I used brushes the look was mask like. Using my hands wasted a ton of product and always left me with weirdness around my eyebrows and hairline.

The beauty blender puts on a very light, even amount of foundation. You can easily blend out any patches that are too thick. It requires no skill. I've played around with different methods but they all work about the same. Just put some foundation on your hand, dab the beauty blender in it and then bounce it all over you face until it looks good. It's really that easy. I use it to blend out my under eye concealer as well.

I was shocked at how little make up I needed to cover my whole face. I often ran out when using other methods because I was putting it on too thick.

I'm really happy I purchased this. I felt stupid leaving the store with a twenty dollar sponge, but I've used it nearly every time I've put on makeup since. It's improved my overall look more than any other makeup item.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by Mihajla

If you are ever in doubt wether to buy this original or a copy, BUY THE ORIGINAL!! Copies cannot even begin to compare to the original beautyblender. I´ve tried copies, and assumed that the original would be the same (they do look pretty similar, I was sure they would do the same job). I didn´t think I would try the original because I assumed that I just didn´t like applying my foundation with sponges. But boy was I wrong. This sponge is amazing, and gives you a finish I only dreamt of before. I keep it under water and sqeeze it as dry as I can before using it, I find that it gives the best results. I also switch between using this and the Sigma F80 as I love both and it just depends on what is my preference that day.

I only use baby shampoo to cleanse it after use, but I am considering purchasing a proper cleansing product as it doesn´t wash away the stains from my MAC pro longwear foundation. Not that it really matters, I just like the clean pink look of it.

I will definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 8:39:00 AM More reviews by dianaish

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love everything about this, and cannot recommend this enough. I get a silky, seamless face base every single time. Dampen, pounce, and roll, roll the dabs of foundation I have patted on my face. I work in small sections at a time. The results are exceptional. It cleans off best when the sponge is dried first which makes it convenient to clean each morning before reusing it, since it works best dampened and squeezed out anyway! I have had some last almost a year. Brilliant tool. Girls in my age range and up.,,yeah, you NEED this!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 1:50:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this as a gift, and I actually like to use sponges over brushes, or fingers for my liquid foundation, and this is by far the best sponge I've ever tried. I would clean it with baby shampoo after every use for those of you that love it. However, I'm a Master Esthetician, and I know theres really no way of cleaning a sponge. They hold bacteria, and I wouldn't use any sponge on my face for more than a couple uses. It works as good as the little beige, wedge sponges, and since they are so inexpensive you can use them once or twice and throw them away. I won't repurchase.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had this for years before I started using it, once I finally got into it, I loved it! It's great if you have dry skin because it turns all those foundations that apply poorly looking great. The best part is, it saves you cleaning your brushes all the time, I was using flat-tops and those were a pain to clean. This is clean and makes my foundation look like skin.

Totally recommend it, sephora has a two pack which works out out cheaper than buying them individually.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No