September 18, 2014 | 1322 users online

Moisturizers - La Mer - Creme de la mer moisturizer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by pandabear5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

La No. I tried this in my late twenties and now that I've entered my forties. Same effect now as then. Greasy, dehydrated skin with an overall feeling of irritation. If you don't have particularly dry or sensitive skin, this may work well for your skin. Just didn't do it for me.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2012 4:50:00 AM More reviews by blarneystone

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had been very wary of the 'miraculous' claims made for and on behalf of this product, so tried a sample pot three years ago with low expectations. Unfortunately for my wallet, I was immediately hooked. I have reasonable skin (on the dry side now, can be a little sensitive but pore size and overall texture not too bad), and this product had an immediate smoothing and nourishing effect which left it with a very discernible dewy 'glow'. This has not diminished with continuous use, unlike many other products I've used where you need to take a break after a year or so.

It's fantastic for winter use, when constant temperature switches and the dehydrating effects of central heating can wreak havoc, though can be a little heavy for daytime summer use when heat and humidity can tend to make you 'glow' anyway. I'm planning to switch to the Lotion just for summer, should it ever stop raining in the UK and warm up a bit.

I was less impressed with the Eye Cream and will probably go back to Shiseido Future Solution for eyes (my previous all-time favourite regime), but the Hydrating Serum has also impressed me and I will probably continue to buy it, god help me. It is undoubtedly a shamefully overpriced product, and I almost hate the fact that I've been seduced by it, but I have been.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this in a store in Amsterdam when on holiday. I hate to burst the bubble here but this is overpriced rubbish. Look at the ingredients list. If you saw this in a cheap cream you probably wouldn't go near it but because it's La mer. It moisturises ok, but so does vaseline which this produt contains. Listed near the top of the ingredients is MINERAL OIL, one of the cheapest ingredients there is!! Not to mention the amount of eucalyptus oil which is concerning And it's fragranced,fragrance is not skin care.Any goodness in this cream and it has it's good points are wasted anyway due to the jar pakaging. The ingredients will not remain stable during use.That's why I'll only use tubes or pumps. I wouldn't ever waste my money on this. I didn't even finish the sample.The ingredients said it all!!! Women must get away from the notion that expensive is best. This is a classic example of this. Consumers who have a "steadfast devotion " to this product are not only wasting their money, they're doing their skin more harm than good.You don't even need to sample a lot of these face creams, just read the ingredients.At the end of the day, this is just a CREAM and no cream can perform miracles.

15 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Tiwi1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I agree that this product can get mixed reviews.I am a moisturiser junkie, so I have tried all the big brands moisturisers. My skin is a combination skin and throughout my teens and up to 35 years old it was prone to acne, as much as I was on antibiotic for a few years
I am in my mid forties now and my skin is not as oily as it used to be. I have been using Creme de La Mer for 3.5 years and I LOVE it! It moisturises my skin without leaving it oily, doesn't give me acne and it feels soothed. People always guess my age as 30 years old ! I know part of it is because of genetics but La Mer has helped.

On the other hand .. my younger sister has a very dry and very sensitive skin and I thought La Mer would help her ... it was a shock that it left her skin red and inflamed within hours!

Definitely experiment with the best moisturers for your skin, as everyone's skin is different.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2012 3:45:00 AM More reviews by michailkas21

I had a sample of 7g and it last me about a week, the cream is thick but you can spread it easily itmakes my skin soft but nothing else.Cream de la mer is simply a good moisturizer, It realy soothes the skin, but this can be happened with cheaper creams likes the cream fraiche from Nux or the ultra facial cream from kiehl's.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Annie234

DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN EMPTY LA MER JAR? (I REALLY NEED ONE TO TRANSFER MY SAMPLES INTO :))
IF YES, I AM WILLING TO BUY IT OFF YOU (I HAVE PAYPAL :))
PLEASE INBOX ME!! THANKS

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Gother

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I don't believe in miracles. But this is one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by LittleLibellule

Hi guys, this is a follow up from my original review below.
I've been using La Mer moisturiser for a couple of months now and although it is a top quality moisturiser, it hasn't made any miraculous changes to my skin. As far as I know I have been applying it correctly. I take a small amount and pop it into the palm of my hand then rub in circular motion with my other hand for about 20 seconds till it warms up and melts.
It feels lovely on the skin, although sometimes a little greasy. A little really does go a long way. I also found that if applied under my eyes at night, the skin was a bit puffy underneath. I do still use it in conjunction with my other products, but only at night and not under the eye area!
Overall, I'm not sure if I will buy it again. I think I'm going to wait til I finish the pot to decide, maybe something amazing will happen. But to be honest, I think we should all be going to the dermatologist and finding out what our skin types are! A really good book for this is Dr Leslie Baumanns book - The Skin Type Solution. I took advice from this book, got some new products and started to see changes, albeit slight, very quickly.
Anyway - Good luck and enjoy! It is a lovely cream even if it hasn't turned me into Gisele :) xx

This is my first installment as I have only been using it for three days. I will write a follow up review in about a month. I decided to buy this cream because I just couldn't deny the urge to any longer. I've read the bad/good press and decided to make up my own mind - we all have different skin, so we all have different results. As soon as I started using this I got the flu (no!! i'm not blaming la mer!!! :)) so at the mo I look pretty rough. But...I have used it all over my face including my eyes and it has moisturised very well and leaves a dewy plumpy look which is nice. Still have to wear cream blush tho!! I warmed it up between my fingers and also i tried it out on the skin around nails which are really dry last night and already they look better.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by milktoast24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried La Mer on and off throughout the years, and waited about a decade (!) to write this review. My reasons for not buying into the hype:

If you're old enough to remember when La Mer was re-released by EL, there was an in-depth article in the NY Times or LA Times (i can't recall exactly --and this was way before Google existed), that detailed the whole process of trying to replicate Max Huber's formula. Remember, he died and left the "recipe" which EL chemists were left trying to decipher based on his messy crib notes, which involved adding vibrations to the mixing tank, playing classical music to the "broth", etc, etc. After much trial and error, EL chemists finally "got it right" (or did they?) and voila -- mass production began.

However, just like "Mom's chicken soup", simply duplicating a formula is not bound to guarantee exact results. How many times have you tried to match a recipe only to never have it taste as good as the real thing? Of course it helps if Mom or the original chef guides you step-by-step -- much easier, right?

But here is the key point: Huber wasn't alive to guide anyone through the replication process. Worse yet, his notes were like chicken scratch.

Just like the "love" element to a homemade batch of cookies or soup, synergistically there was something more that Huber added to garner miraculous results for his original cream. I truly believe that there was something special about Huber's formula; he was known to give some kind of vibrational TLC to each handcrafted, small batch. But like with any family-held secret recipe, there is always something missing when you try to do it yourself--or worse yet, scale it up industrially for the global market.

Other key factors:

I have met wealthy, older people (women *and* men) who have used Huber's original formula and they acknowledge that EL's version is not the same. (Hang out at enough NYC charity/gallery events for the moneyed Bergdorf's crowd and eventually you'll meet some eccentric characters too.)

I've met people who worked for the La Mer brand, and their skin is totally normal or average. These women have easy access to tubs of this product and with these high expectations, you'd think they'd be the walking fountain of youth, with miraculously baby-smooth skin that makes them look 20 years younger. Nope. Look at the La Mer SA's at the counter. Inspect their skin carefully. Is it smooth, bright, luminous? More often than not, i have met La Mer SA's with average skin, or even sagging, wrinkled skin. Not a good testimony.

As for La Mer's purported "healing" power -- if this product truly "healed" skin or did something so great, where are the clinical trials and quantitative data to support it? Surely the Estee Lauder corporation can afford it, as they do with so many of their other products like Advanced Night Repair, Idealist, etc ---undergone rigorous testing and clinicals (i.e. 28% reduction in fine lines, 57% increase in hydration, 88% improvement in spots, etc). Guess what? There are NO quantitative claims with Creme de la Mer at all. Hmm.

What's left? An amazing story, which EL cleverly bought the rights to. When you spend the $$$ for a jar of La Mer, that's what you're getting. But that's part of the allure --- believing in legend is enough to trigger the placebo effect, and for some people it's enough to get great results.

I'm not saying this cream is bad - it moisturizes well and provides emolliency to support the skin barrier function. Those are the results i had.

97 out of 104 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 11:40:00 AM More reviews by kpodaru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i've been using la mer for many years and i've searched high and low for another moisturizer because of the astronomical price but whenever i switch, i always keep coming back.

i have very dry skin that is prone to redness, inflammation and flaking but la mer keeps my skin soft and smooth all day. other moisturizers (and i only buy name brand) work well but mid-day, my face feels tight and dry.

i also find that when my skin freaks out and gets sensitive, i put a bit of this cream on and it goes away. who knows if the "magic broth" is true but it makes my skin feel soft and smooth so i'll keep buying this (and continue searching for a less expensive alternative in the mean time)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No