October 23, 2014 | 2172 users online

Masks - Oatmeal Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by isabellaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

My mum always used to do facial masks mixing oatmeal and yoghurt, and then cucumbers over the eyes.
Yoghurt and oatmeal is a very good masks to calm the skin down. I do once a week (I dedicted Sunday evening for these things).
The skin becomes smooth and any redness disappears. Sometimes I mix in some honey with it aswell.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2010 7:54:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

About the Product:
Oats are a natural method of cleansing the skin, due to their saponin component. They are also said to be nourishing to the skin, hydrating, while preventing the skin from drying out. They are also quite soothing and gentle, especially when properly soaked. Recommended for eczema sufferers, oats are usually well-tolerated by most.

Suggested Uses:
Cleanser - Cleanses well due to the saponins. Best used when ground to make a fine powder. Mix with water and use as you would a regular cleanser. Use normal oats for more exfoliation.

Mask - Either use ground or as in the package. Mix with water, apply to face, and rinse off like normal mask. I'd recommend leaving it on for 10-20 minutes.

Smell:
The smell when wet is actually quite strong compared to dry oats. Almost musty I guess, but nothing so offensive it's unbearable to use. Lingers on the skin just slightly, nothing noticeable to others.

Consistency:
When ground up and put into water, it creates a mushy paste with a quick drying time. It feels a bit slimy as well, but rinses away clean with just water. I'd say that it feels a bit drying though, and if it isn't soaked or ground up properly it might be a bit too abrasive on sensitive skin.

Ease of Use:
It's more so annoying to use than it is hard. To prevent irritation, it had to be ground finely, but even THAT was too scratchy until I soaked it for a while beforehand. However, that could be due to the severe reaction I had, and may not be the norm for others. It can also clog your drains, so you have to be careful with rinsing it off. It is easy to apply to the skin and doesn't fall off the skin very much while drying. That being said, small flakes or chunks may fall off if you speak/move your skin while wearing the oatmeal as a mask.

Bang for your Buck:
Oatmeal is not all that expensive, and I assume you can easily buy smaller packages if you do not enjoy eating it. Definitely nothing that will break your wallet. You could also likely find colloidal oatmeal for cheap online or locally if you do not have a coffee grinder and would like to use the ground oatmeal. Should last quite a while, as not much is needed.

My Results:
I could see this working well to cleanse the skin, as it never left my skin feeling coated. But, I seemed to have a serious reaction to it. I had a reaction to oats I ground in a coffee grinder, as well as to oats I simply soaked in water without grinding. I also reacted to the oat water itself. The reaction: bright, burning red face within seconds of application. The only time this did not occur was the first time, but I had a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly on my skin. I also think it might have been a bit drying on my skin, and possibly broke me out. I'd recommend a patch test just to be safe, but it's unlikely many will have a reaction such as mine.

Final Consensus:
If every cleanser you've ever tried has left your skin stripped and irritated, give oatmeal a try, as it seems to work for almost everyone. An easy DIY way to clean your face, and natural to boot. I will not be giving this another shot, but I do still recommend it to others for trial.
- Pros: Cheap, natural, multi-use, good base ingredient for homemade products.
- Cons: Drying, irritating, caused severe redness and burning, possibly broke me out, messy, a bit of a pain to prepare for regular use, not the most pleasant scent.

Overall Rating: 1/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

23 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2010 4:12:00 AM More reviews by liveforever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

If you're suffering from dry skin, or dry patches but still want to wash your face.... this is a must. I grind it up until it's a fine powder and simply mix it with water and massage it onto my face. It is so so soothing and those irritated inflamed patches are calmed down. There are also minor surfactants in oatmeal which make this an ideal cleanser for drier skins. I have oily skin, but I've been experiencing dry patches around my mouth and eyes - this is a great go-to remedy. If you really want no fuss - you can buy colloidal oatmeal off of ebay, which is essentially a very, very fine ground up oatmeal which can be added to cosmetics. Good luck :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 5:13:00 AM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using brown and white sugar scrubs mixed in with jojoba and olive oils in the shower. I threw in some ground up oatmeal and I'm really liking the consistency of the scrub. It is working better as though turbo-charged and I don't have to rub as hard. I find oat meal can be drying for my face but really liking it for the rest of the body. No more expensive scrubs for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2010 11:20:00 AM More reviews by noumanqadir

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Today I tried the oatmeal mask for the first time. Impressive stuff. I used a fine powder mixed with water to make a paste and used it as a scrub. AMAZING. Skin was soft and clear. My foundation went on perfect with not hint of dryness and skin was glowing.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2010 1:42:00 AM More reviews by lilexibabe92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never thought oatmeal could help my acne so much and make my face so smooth. It truly is amazing!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 12:15:00 PM More reviews by paigeallison

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

So after hearing all of the awesome reviews on using plain ol' oatmeal for my skin, I decided to give it a go!
I have very very sensitive skin, in which I've totally ruined due to cheap products that make me break out and make my skin red.
I switched to Olay Foaming Face wash for Sensitive Skin with Aloe and it was working pretty well for me, but I haven't been seeing the glow in my skin that I should have.
I've been searching high and low for a product to soothe my skin, and then saw everyone saying these oatmeal/yogurt/honey/sugar/aspirin masks are just great, so I was like, oh what the hell! And went to the store and got some.

Today - I decided to take the oatmeal and crush it and wash my face with it and my skin felt so soft! Afterwards, I made a VERY think mask and applied it to my face. My skin is glowing! I looked at myself and thought I was wearing makeup!

I saw the post about using a coffee grinder and using it as powder - I really want to try it!

I'll update when I have a full regimen! :D

UPDATE Aug 2012: Still using oatmeal all the time in my regime! Still haven't figured out a perfect way to fit it in, but every now and then I use it. It's super moisturizing!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 1:23:00 AM More reviews by peunwha

i'm being really HONEST!

this was the BEST mask EVER. i have tried so many product. (from department store)
definetely THIS BEATS EVERY PRODUCT out there.
why didn't i know this before??

it is amazing. i totally didn't expect that it would be this much excellent. no chemical, pure organic.
my skin is refined and brighter than before.

INSTRUCTION: oatmean + little amount of water + honey mixing => grind slightly , then put on the face , within only 10 min, it delivers result!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:12:00 AM More reviews by hayleysurley

Once looking at the amazing reviews for this, i just had to try. I decided i would use this once a day for a week to see if i would have any major differences to my combination-dry skin. First use i blended up 2 cups of oatmeal to stor and mixed one tablespoon in with 1 tablespoon of milk. then i warmed it to make smooth and washed my face with warm water. i smeared it on (very messily) and waited almost 45 minutes till very dry. Then i rubbed of with warm cloth and reaplied oatmeal- this time i massaged it in for 2 minutes to exfoliate then rinsed. When i dried my face i had so so so so so so so soft skin that was visibly smoother and more even, less red and pimples to! After doing this for a week i can now tell you i have much smoother, clearer skin and i will never leave this hg mask/exfoliant. I buy organic oats and sometimes mash in banana or honey. Absolutely love it! definately a keeper.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2010 11:04:00 AM More reviews by Starfie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lately I've been trying to simplify my life and in extension my skincare regime. MUA has helped a lot with finding items that are natural, organic, and not only makes you beautiful in the inside through ingestion but on the outside as well. So far my favorite addition is the oatmeal. I use it as a daily exfoliate and it has replaced my 30$ a bottle Shesiedo cleanser. Since using it my skin is noticeably more even in tone and smoother. It's not rocket science, the act of buffing you skin regularly gets rid of the dead cells on the surface of your face therefore what you're seeing is new baby skin. What makes oatmeal great is it's really calming and mild (and cheap!). I can't imagine anyone breaking out from it. And for less than 2$ a pound for organic you really cant go wrong. Makes for a great and healthy breakfast as well.

It's important to grind up the oatmeal to a fine powder so that it absorbs better and is just more manageable to use. I keep it in a small airtight container next to the sink. Take about a tablespoon in your hand and just add water. I like it thicker when I'm feeling for a more exfoliating experience and when I want it as a moisturizing clean I add more water.

I really do feel like it has improved my skin greatly. I never had terrible skin to begin with but just for the fact that I've refrained from using harsh chemicals and such, my skin is just more consistently good and I feel a lot better.

The only reason I didn't give it a five rating is it's a little inconvenient. It's difficult to wash away all the little grains completely and when I get it in my hair it looks as if I have a huge dandruff problem. Maybe I have to grind it up more or be careful with it near the hairline. I make sure to wash my face right before a shower in the morning or right before going to bed for the night, which isn't a huge deal and I guess many of you do that already anyways.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No