April 18, 2014 | 933 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by utsensai

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was looking for the perfect red lipstick and this one comes close (warm-toned medium tan Asian who also looks good in berries and wines). This is like the name says, a sheer color. It's got a nice little shine to it. The good thing about it being a little sheer is that you can alter the shade of red with your lipliner. I paired it with Wet n' Wild #666 and it made the shade a little darker and a more matte (with a little itty bit hint of shine) look. It also has a nice cherry smell to it. The container isn't that great because you can't twist the lipstick all the way down, but that's nothing compared to the price...94 cents at Target.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2007 11:19:00 PM More reviews by jailtimediverted

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

lovely. semi-sheer deep, neutral red. slight lipsticky-ness, moist, creamy, and lasts well. no scent. cool PPP, brown hair and eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2007 2:18:00 AM More reviews by Angry_Kangaroo

Ooooh yeah. Why did it take me so long to try this? The perfect red lipstick...for 97 cents! This is a sheer neutral red that is very flattering on my fair skin. If you blot it, it leaves the loveliest stain; remindes me of the kind of color you would see on Liv Tyler. The only drawback is the strong lipstick-y smell. But for the price and color I am willing to overlook that. *EDIT* Ok, I won't be buying this again, or any N.Y.C. products. I am trying to buy animal friendly products. This is still a great product, but I just won't repurchace.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2007 9:44:00 PM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was pleasantly surprised with this lipstick. It's a very sheer almonst berry color on my lips, and not at all gharish. A perfect daytime red, it reminds me of Clinique Black Honey. The texture is smooth and sheer, and the taste is not the least bit offensive. Not a bad lipstick for under $2.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2007 1:40:00 AM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree with all the raves here. The pkging is terrible but for .99 you really have no right to complain. They could sell this on a stick and I would buy it, I like it that much. No funny taste, very moist, gorgeous color. I'm an NW20 and a lot of reds go fuschia on me but not this one. The texture reminds me of Vincent Longo's lip stains. Honestly, this is probably the best sheer lipstick available at a drugstore besides milani sheer lipsticks. Great price, great colors in general, a winner!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2007 11:51:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't want to splurge on a red lipstick because I don't really wear reds that much, and I needed a red l/s for my Halloween costume so last minute I grabbed this from a local Rite-Aid. To my surprise, I randomly picked a pretty decent color that's sheer but can be layered. It does feather out, so I make sure to wear a l/l underneath. At $0.99 the price can't be beat. My only gripes are 1) it makes my teeth look slightly yellow; 2) you can't twist the l/s all the way down (design flaw); and 3) the packaging is cheap, but what do you expect for 99 cents???! Has a faint raspberry smell to it. I'd definitely recommend this to those who are iffy about the red l/s thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2007 6:53:00 PM More reviews by jenjuliet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I searched for years and years for the perfect red and this is it. Not too blue, not too brown, just sheer and soft and totally gorgeous. It's less than a buck so I have several backup tubes in a drawer. As with all NYC lipsticks, the bullet doesn't twist all the way down so that can be a problem, so I smushed 3 sticks into a small pot with a hinged, mirrored lid to keep in my purse if I ever want to throw on some red lipstick just for fun, I just use my finger or swirl a Q-tip into it. The only problem is that it's so sheer you have to do a couple of layers if you want a real red lip, but it's so inexpensive that it doesn't even matter if you go through it quicker than most lipsticks.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2006 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jasanna143

GREAT color for my nc20 bro/bro features/complexion! At first I was a bit hesitant to buy an inexpensive lippie. I am a self-admitted l/s snob and only buy h/e products thinking they're better than d/s brands. I couldn't be more wrong. I was searching and searching for a great red lippie that wouldn't make me look like Bozo the Clown. I searched high and low at NM, Nords, Saks, etc and only seemed to find one at the Cle de Peau counter but still wanted something a little different. I kept hearing all the raves about Sheer Red so decided to splurge a whole dollar and get this. At Ulta, they had a buy one get one free deal anyway so I figured what the heck. I loooove the color on my lips and it compliments my skintone. It's very creamy and moisturizing and hasn't bled on me thus far. I loathe the packaging and wish they would change it. The l/s bullet doesn't twist down so you might scrape it against the cap. Can't stand clear caps too!! Ugh! I hope they'll change but hey, it's .99 cents so I guess I can't complain that much. Could possibly be my HG red along w/ my CdP l/s in #17. I definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2006 11:44:00 AM More reviews by lirontocker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

"Sheer Red" is vastly more sheer than other red lipsticks on the market, but is still very pigmented and more than one swipe on the lips will bring you to a full cherry-mouth. The color itself is lovely, and one of the better reds I have seen or tried - the shade is a neutral, deep berry red which does not suffer from "orange syndrome" or "fuchsia syndrome" in the least, so it shoud work moderately on all skintones. If you're in the market for a full-on glamorous red, this might not be it - this shade is berry toned and neutral enough for daily use. Personally, this is one of the better formulas I've experienced in a "moisture" lipstick. It feels very nice and creamy on the lips, has a pleasant scent, has moderate staying powder (better than most drugstore shades) and does not cause my lips to chap, split or peel. The lipstick does, however, bleed - so using a lipliner is a must. I had recieved this in a swap so I wasn't aware of the price, now that I've read the reviews and have found out that this lipstick is less than a dollar, I'm even more thrilled. What great value for a great daily red lipstick! If you've got a dollar to spare, love red lipstick and would like a perk-me-up after a hard day at work, pick this shade up and go for a night on the town! I'm going to be removing a lippy on this great product for the horrible packaging. I'm not a packaging snob, I prefer aesthetic packaging but if the product is good, I don't always mind (like in a case similar to this - I really dislike cheap transparent plastic caps). Unfortunately this lipstick has a serious design flaw: the lipstick bullet itself does not screw all the way down into the tube, therefor you may nick or scrape the side of the bullet when removing the cap. This is unfortunate and irritating, and hopefully NYC will correct this mistake.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2006 3:45:00 AM More reviews by cheesysmile1212

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a nice 94 cent lipstick that will pick you up on a cloudy day. On my NC44 skin it's a red with berry tones rather than a fire engine or other true red. It's a nice color but overrated imo. It's pretty versatile though - can be used full strength, with a gloss, etc.

Highly pigmented for a "sheer" color and goes on smooth, not dry & gritty like my NYC Wild Orchard.

EDIT: This stuff is so smooth and pigmented - very nice quality.