December 21, 2014 | 1497 users online

Loose Powders - Everyday Minerals - Finishing Dust

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2006 5:38:00 PM More reviews by laeta904

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently purchased a Bare Escentuals starter kit, but I decided to try the Everyday Minerals sample kit at the same time (if I choose EM, I can return the BE kit within 60 days and use the same money to purchase an EM kit). After a few uses of each product (BE Mineral Veil vs. EM Finishing Dust), I feel that they are almost exactly the same. In the future, I will probably be using a combination of EM and BE products, since I am completely satisfied with both sets. EM is great for the cheaper prices; however, BE has a boutique near my house, so if I am in a pinch, BE is much more convenient.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2006 10:43:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

As much as I love the EM foundations, I just can't see where the Finishing Dust is doing anything. I've tried it over the foundations (matte and semi-matte) and on bare skin and I cannot see a difference with either one. I continue to use to use it, well because, it's in my makeup bag. I've read that EM is going to reformulate the Finishing Dust so maybe it will be an improvement.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2006 12:40:00 PM More reviews by crazydiamond360

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE this!
To begin with, I have never worn ďskin makeupĒ for anything other than a special occasion or a dab of concealer to cover a blemish. I hate it, the way it feels, they way it looks, the way it wears...everything. I have pretty good skin to start with so why cover it up?

However, Iíve grown to love EMís Finishing Dust. At first the cornstarch feel threw me and I wasnít real excited about it. Now, I love it. Love putting it on, love wearing it, the staying power (even in high humidity) love the look and finish. Iím finding myself not wearing EMís foundations (even though I like them and when I need foundation, EM is what Iíll reach for), all I need is the Finishing Dust for a pretty, airbrushed, ďsoft focusĒ look that controls oil and doesnít slide off the face. It also isnít completely matte or color free on me, which I surprisingly donít have a problem with. I wear sunscreen on a daily basis and the Finishing Dust takes care of the ugly sunscreen sheen that it leaves behind. Gorgeous over the foundation for a truly flawless, porcelain doll look. I can make it through an entire work day without touching up.

This doesnít create a fully matte look, so if thatís what youíre looking for, skip this (go for the matte foundation instead). Iím not crazy about the container, itís very hard to control the amount of powder on your brush and to keep from making some kind of mess. I believe EM is coming out with a closeable sifter container soon though and this should take care of that problem.

I wish the finishing dust was also available in a pressed powder compact with an applicator and mirror...but EM is a young company and Iím sure a pressed powder is in itís future. However, I love the finish...a pretty, *real* looking airbrushed finish. Will repurchase. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2006 4:09:00 PM More reviews by CMorneau1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the simplicity of this product....no parabens as preservatives. It does what it says it will do. The price is good too, although still a little steep IMO for corn starch. However, if you buy a kit you usually get the finishing dust free. I hate the packaging...the lid is weird and powder gets up between the jar and sifter. One lippie taken off for that.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2006 5:15:00 PM More reviews by DubsBelle

My skin type: Acne prone, with old acne marks, sensitive, combo skin, needs a good oil control foundation that isnít too drying.

PROS:I can see how this got good reviews, especially when comparing to BE's Mineral Veil. I have used Mineral Veil before and I will say that EMís Finishing Dust is much more sheer and smoother. It did NOT leave my NC40íish skin looking chalky the way mineral veil did. So, yes it is way better than mineral veil but it still needs improvement.
CONS: First and foremost, I BROKE OUT with this. The night I washed my face after using this, I could feel a zit forming. The following days it had erupted into cystic acne! Beware the cornstarch! This was my first day using the finishing dust and the days prior to using it I was clear of zits! It had to be it!
Performance wise, this finishing dust was lacking. Applied over my intensive formula foundation it gave me a very average ďfinishedĒ look. Far, far from looking airbrushed (mac blot did a better job). Oil still managed to break through in a matter of hours (which isnít surprising considering intensive formula isnít great at controlling oil either). Everyday Minerals in general arenít so great at controlling oil and their finishing dust is no exception. From now on, I skip the finishing dust over my EMís.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2006 4:38:00 AM More reviews by mrstrii

I agree with the reviews that say this finishing dust gives your face a "soft focus"... Oil control on my nose isn't the best but it does last several hours and I have to blot at least once in an 8 hour day. But otherwise it gives a nice soft finish. Am worried that this might break me out in little bumps like BE's mineral veil does. Am watching to see if my skin deteriorates or changes. Will update if it does. Edit: Oil control isn't enough for my nose - for that reason, will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2006 6:18:00 PM More reviews by gingerPeach

This stuff is awesome at controlling oil and does a decent job at hiding the appearance of my pores. I use it before&after I put on my intensive foundation in medium beige/summer; it works a lot better that way. In fact, one day I discovered it missing from my little make-up pouch and I was really upset- my make-up didn't look as smooth that day as it usually did. Would definately buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2006 12:54:00 AM More reviews by justchar

Love this stuff along with their semi-matte foundation. It is great a controlling shine during the day and helps to make the foundation last longer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2006 8:56:00 AM More reviews by thebigtrout

Awesome, goes on light and transparent and controls shine and oil. Perfect finishing touch!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2006 9:34:00 PM More reviews by laur_8706

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just love this stuff. It is the perfect finishing touch to the EM foundation. It really helps to control the oil and makes my skin look more airbrushed.

*EDIT* EM's tinted silk dust is much better than this so I am using it instead! Def. recommend!