November 23, 2014 | 1105 users online

Foundations - Cover Girl - Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2005 6:24:00 PM More reviews by anitabeaver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have very sensitive skin along with redness and dry flaky patches around my nose. I have to be very careful about what I use or my dermatitis flares up on my face like you would not beleive! I was hesitant about using this because I can wear EL Doublewear without any problems except for a bit of dryness around my nose, so why mess with what works? Well I did and I'm so glad I took that chance! I've been using this in Classic Ivory for three weeks and the coverage is great,it dries to a soft matte finish,you can build up areas where you need more cover,and it doesn't flake out my nose!! Not once,not one time did it ever give me the dry flaky look on the sides of my nose. I did not do anything different with moisturizing my face, it really is the makeup itself. I usually avoid CG products like the plague since my lips balloned up three times their size after trying their Continous Color l/s but this stuff is just fantastic. Oh, and no breakouts. Usually I breakout within 3 to 4 days with a new product. Not one blemish. You should try this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2005 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Water-based "cream"-to-powder foundation with SPF 15 (UVA/UVB). $7-$10 US retail. 9.5 grams/0.33 ounces. It also contains Olay Vita-Niacin complex from Oil of Olay that claims to have "age-defying" properties. See my note on Anti-Aging Properties.

PACKAGING Radiance has the same packaging as Aquasmooth, but only with silver and holographic colors. It looks unique but it has its drawbacks. It is roughly oval-shaped and five (!) inches long. It's a pretty big compact but the actual pan for the foundation is only two inches in the diameter. The rest of the space is dedicated to a compartment for the sponge. Also, despite the fact the compact is so big, the mirror is maddeningly small. I took a point off for this.

Other than those complaints, the compact is sturdy and prevents the foundation from drying out. I guess that's the priority when it comes to foundation formulas like this. Clinique has a similar formula (as do other high-end brands, but I have no personal experience with them) and the compact also has an airtight design but ends up being humongous.

COLOR Cover Girl's color selection is poor to eewww. However, Aquasmooth's/Radiance's warm shades (from lightest to darkest: Classic Ivory, Buff Beige, Soft Honey and Classic Tan) are decent in the sense that they are not glaringly pink or peach. I observed that the cools and "neutrals" are the most disastrous.

I have a medium/NC40s/C3-C4 complexion and I use Soft Honey. Soft Honey is a little too dark and can turn orange but a dusting of powder or mineral makeup corrects all of that. I also sometimes mix Soft Honey with Buff Beige (which would be great for NC25-NC30 or C3 skintones). I simply swipe both colors with the included sponge and blend onto my skin.

TEXTURE Advanced Radiance is a water-based "cream"-to-powder foundation. It has a very light and slick (but not greasy) feel but it dries to a satin or matte finish that has a powdery feel. It truly is a wonderful thing!

Advanced Radiance is very similar to Aquasmooth. As other reviewers have pointed out, Radiance does have more slip and takes a little longer to set. This may be better for drier skins or for people who need more time to work with the foundation. The difference is very subtle. I prefer Aquasmooth's texture but judging from texture alone, I wouldn't mind using either.

APPLICATION Application is BREEZE. The square sponge included works very well. I use it to swipe the foundation on. Five swipes and, literally, I'M DONE. It takes a minute at the most. The sponge can also be used to stipple for maximum coverage. I also use my fingers to spot conceal. In the past, I used a brush for Aquasmooth (which, again, is very similar) but takes a lot more time and it uses up too much product.

FINISH Aquasmooth/Radiance has a satiny finish that can be dewy if you apply it on freshly moisturized skin. It looks extremely natural in ANY lighting scheme, something I've never had in a foundation before. It seems to meld with your skin but covers it at the same time.

COVERAGE For something as light and natural-looking, the coverage is remarkable. It can offer medium-heavy coverage but since it has more slip than Aquasmooth, you need to have a layer of powder underneathe to help the foundation cling onto the skin. With Aquasmooth, I simply used my finger or stippled it on with the sponge. I've used both to cover fresh and old pimples, areas of redness and dark circles around the eyes.

LASTING POWER Radiance's lasting power on my oily skin is nothing miraculous. I can manage to keep it on my skin for the whole day if I blot and powder as needed. It still wears off but the great thing is that it doesn't look horrendous as it does so, unlike my former staple Revlon Colorstay. When it leaves, it leaves quietly and doesn't make a cakey mess. Still, Radiance's performance in this area is nothing to sneeze at considering and 1. I live in Southern California and 2. I have 12 hour days or longer.

ANTI-AGING PROPERTIES? Short answer is NO. The changes in the skin that is associated with aging (ex. wrinkles) start in the deepest layers of the skin where most over-the-counter products (including foundations) cannot reach. If they were able to significantly affect these deep layers, they should not be treated lightly and may need a prescription to acquire. On the other hand, this foundation's ability to moisturize the skin and conceal imperfections does temporarily create a smoother more youthful appearance. HOWEVER, the very weird thing is that for a foundation that claims to defy signs of aging... it doesn't have sunscreen! That's one of the things I loved about Aquasmooth. It had SPF 15 and I didn't need to apply a separate sunscreen and wait for it to set.

OVERALL Fantastic foundation but it doesn't not have sunscreen. I probably will exchange Radiance for Aquasmooth, which does have SPF 15. If Aquasmooth did not exist, I would DEFINITELY stick with Radiance and just put on a separate sunscreen. But since I have a better alternative, I'll just come back to the drugstore and do an exchange. I will not repurchase.

UPDATE I haven't had any pimples for about a couple of months and BAM! I get three of them when I washed this off. I will definitely not repurchase now. continued >>

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2005 3:51:00 PM More reviews by sarahbella1012

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I did not care for this product and returned it. The "age defiance" part of it intrigued me, but the color match was off and it dried to a matte finish, which is not the best for my extremely dry skin. I was surprised at the medium coverage it provided for such a sheer formula. I can see where it would work well for oily and normal skin types. I am a believer in you get what you pay for with foundation. Also, the packaging seemed unecessarily bulky and long. Nice color and design, however. I am going back to my Prescriptives...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2005 9:26:00 PM More reviews by susand

I was hesitant to purchase this foundation because I have tried most every drug store brand of cream-powder makeup, and have always been disappointed.
I took a chance because I was tempted by the lure of Olay skincare in the foundation. I am pleasantly surprised! This stuff goes on smoothly and blends well. I kept expecting it to pool up/ cake after a couple of hours. It didn't!
My skin hasn't looked this good in a while!! I will continue to use this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2005 2:37:00 PM More reviews by TM911

Oh my goodness...this stuff makes my skin look flawless!! It is so light that I cannot feel it on, and it goes from a creamy/siliconey texture to a natural matte in seconds, and it just plain looks like SKIN! Now, I'm a fan of AquaSmooth, and yes this is somewhat similar, but to be honest it applies and blends much easier, and it's much easier to go over places where I need more coverage after it has dried (AquaSmooth is harder to "move," lol!) I am MAC NC25 and I bought Buff Beige, same as AquaSmooth. I just wish CG would do away with the notion that people are the color of apricots. This is an excellent foundation...the only problem is that it caused cosmetic acne on me. I'm not going to take away any l/s, because it is the best CTP foundation I have ever used (and I have used regular AquaSmooth, Shiseido, MAC, and a few more I can't think of right now)...go get this if you're a CTP lover!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2005 1:30:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lovin' this, which surprises me after I couldn't find a match in the Ivory Aquasmooth shades (I'm NC15, the lightest in all foundations & have combo skin) although I loved the product itself. I was was hesitant to try again but the below reviews were promising. I got Ivory (105) which matches MUCH better than I expected at first glance. I wish it has some SPF but it's great otherwise. (Edit: titanium dioxide in the ingredients towards the end, but it's not advertised w/ SPF so who knows). I apply very sheerly with a separate foundation sponge (the included one is too small) over my regular moisturizer w/ SPF and blend well. It sinks in my skin, dries to a satiny matte finish, doesn't enhance my pores or smile lines, and controls my t-zone shine well- even when I ran around in 90+ degree heat the other day. It looks good in both natural AND unnatural light (aka flourescent). No weird oxidation, no breakouts, no highlighting my drier patches either. All types of blush look good over this: gel, creme and powder, bonus! The compact is a little larger than it needs to be, but it's silver and not as ugly as the Aquasmooth one. I don't notice any miraculous age defiance as of yet, but overall my skin looks and feels great.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2005 10:41:00 PM More reviews by WendyW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this foundation, but still like my Mary Kay medium coverage better. Use the CG Ivory shade and it's perfect for my skin tone. I like using the sponge that comes in the compact better than a foundation brush for this. I like it better than the Aquasmooth which looks too dark and powdery on me. Advanced Radiance does not break me out or settle into fine lines. It gives the perfect finish (not too matte and not too dewy).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2005 3:45:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried Aquasmooth so many times and it always turned an unflattering shade of orange,although the coverage was great and it felt nice on.I saw this a while ago and thought that it was a nice idea,but I was apprehensive about looking like an Oompa Loompa.I got adveturous and picked it up anyway,and I am happy to report I do not look like a piece of fruit.I don't know about the age defying thing-I will update in time,hoewver.
The Claim:Contains exclusive Vita Niacin complex
*Radiantly beautiful coverage reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles*
*Oil free,hypoallergenic,won't clog pores*

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2005 10:43:00 AM More reviews by DaWniNa

i actually really like this stuff....just apply this, some concealer, some blush and loose powder and there you go....i even like it better than the covergirl aquasmooth....even though it is possibly the same formulation of ingredients....for some reason though this is smoother and the color is more even...i have it in the color soft honey as well as the color buff beige....i even tried applying buff beige first then soft honey over it and wow.....gorgeous! oh and no oil slick like a previous review had said.....just throughout the day i may have had to blot once....but that is okay b/c every foundation i have ever had made me have to blot at least once =)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2005 5:18:00 PM More reviews by mkbegovich

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just started using this so I may be a bit premature but so far I really like it. I have such a problem with CG foundations turning orange on my pretty fair, oily skin but this makes my face look, well, nice. I don't feel like I'm wearing a mask and yet my complexion is even. Coverage seems to be medium which is just what I like. I purchased this in classic ivory (I'm a MAC 15/20) and it seems to work. I'll update if I start developing huge acne or something but for the price (around 9 bucks @ Walmart) I think I'll use it again.