July 30, 2014 | 1874 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 10:37:00 AM More reviews by ceen

Oh dear, no. Avoid at all costs. Unless, of course, you find the prospect of smelling like your grandmother's old talcum powder alluring.
Incredible that this should have cult status!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2011 7:40:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I'm surprised by the negative reviews. I love this perfume, it was my Mom's only perfume as I was growing up, a couple months ago she gave me a small amount left in a very old bottle. She stopped using it because she's basically tried to stop being feminine at all (yes it's weird, but she feels very "liberated" not caring about what she looks like anymore). I had always loved the scent, but had been into body splashes in my 20's. Now that I'm 30 and I have a highly professional job and wear suits a lot of the time, a sophisticated scent like this goes very well. I ran out of what my mom gave me after a couple months of regular use and just purchased a 3.4oz bottle of the edp off ebay for 49$ including shipping (yes it's original). I don't think I would have paid the 175$ this retails at, just can't afford that right now.

I am not a big floral scent person, I do like florals when they're muted with muskiness, which is exactly how I would describe no. 5. I am in love with this scent and have been switching between this and shalimar for daily use. It does go on with a bit of a soapy smell, but w/in half an hour that has disappeared and I'm left with a subtle musky lovely scent that lasts most of my work day.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by ocgirl007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Most of chanel smell like old lady, plus they do not last on me...
thank god I did not buy any of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 11:09:00 AM More reviews by greenforever

I have the EDT version but actually prefers EDP version. They smell different! I would recommend anyone who is thinking to buy one to try both version.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by apparently

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Nope. I like the opening burst of floral aldehydes, but the drydown smells like a 1950s prom corsage found pressed in a yearbook. Faintly floral, but musty, powdery, and from another time. Love the iconic bottle, though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by linet182

This sets the bar high when it comes to classic perfumes. Yes, it's pricey, but it's Chanel! I sprits a little bit of this on me and I transform into a more confident version of myself (sounds weird, I know). Even people who barely know anything about perfume instantly know I'm wearing "Chanel No. 5". The smell is a bit much for daytime, but it's perfect for a night out on the town with girlfriends.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2011 11:20:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

This reminds me of my mother because its one of her favorite perfumes. She loves it, always tells me how when she was a kid she there was a machine that dispensed a puff of this, for about a quarter in Macy's. When I was in college I started wearing this and one day another student asked me what it was, told me she loved it so I sprayed some in a tiny sample vial bottle and gave it to her. She looked amazed that someone would share it even but I felt it almost selfish not to share it recalling how excited I was to have some.

My mother still wears this so I wear it less simply because I think of it as her "scent." I have never liked jasmine scents and though this has jasmine in it, its not overpowering or I could not wear it. I don't know a lot of perfume jargon and descriptions and though they have been helpful for me to make scent purchases based on the knowledge of the lovely ladies here, I cannot offer that in my review. In lieu of that I can offer this thought, we may not always initially appreciate what others have deemed classics. This is true of art, film, etc. We must take into consideration that like those before us, we view a scent and the aforementioned items, in a context of our times, what we are familiar with, what our friends, peers, are wearing and maybe more importantly, coveting. Sometimes that's all it takes, and most young women likely don't know a whole lot of others coveting this particular scent. If you simply take a chance to trust things become classic for a reason your opinion may change about what you like. Tastes do change which is not to say you must nor should ignore your first impression nor suffer though wearing, nor partaking in anything you find unpleasant.

That said, for me some things like iconic perfumes provide a little thrill knowing I'm wearing something that has provided women through the ages, what most of us want, to be a little more lovely than we already are, a little more elegant, a little more sophisticated, or sexy, so many adjectives can apply here. I don't need to sell this scent of course, it does fine on its own. In my day to day life I often prefer much more current, softer, sweeter, more powdery scents, but I may wear a version of this on my wedding, depends what my mother goes with;)

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2011 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Stelmata

Whenever I smelled this perfume in the magazine samples or spritzed it on one of those paper tester things I thought it smelled disgusting and so artificial and cloying that I couldn't understand why it was so "iconic" and timeless.
Then I decided to actually spray it on my wrist and see what happened. After a little while I kept getting a whiff of it and it was amazing. You really have to let it work with your body chemistry before you can judge the smell. It was still powerful, but lovely. And I'm only 25, so it's not like I'm an "old lady."
This is better than most of the modern perfumes that don't last and are so insipid they make everyone smell the same.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 4:15:00 PM More reviews by PINUPROCK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I really disliked this one, and with this one I include all chanel scents I really thought of them as very cloying and old........ but that was when I was younger
I really think that you have to grow up a bit to be able to enjoy this perfumes.... the complexity and uniqueness of them

this is not like the trendy celebrity tacky fragrance or the designer easy perfume wich is fruity and floral and common and targeted to everyone.
this is a scent that will endure forever and will never go out of style it is a staple of what a true woman should be and should smell....... I you dont like it grow up a bit mature your nose and come back to be captured by it forever, some of use will find this earlier while others will take more time in liking it.....

soft powdery and perfectly balanced.... yuuuummmmmmm!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 2:15:00 AM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is one of those rare perfumes that absolutely wows me! I don't know alot about top notes and sillage etc. but this smells divine not too sweet but not bitter or sharp just beautiful! I think it smells a bit like coca cola :)
EDIT: while I absolutely LOVE this when it is first sprayed the dry down turns too chypre and powdery I hate to use this term but "like an old lady" (sorry it's just the description everyone understands).