Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 2/13/2006 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I got this as part of the Philosophy Girl set. It's a liquidy-gel type serum that's supposed to go under your moisturizer to provide extra moisture, and for me it works really well on the rough/dry spots I've been getting due to the winter dry air and going on retin-a/duac (blech!) After washing my face I put about 6 drops in my palm, rub it between my hands a bit and then pat it on my face. I follow up with Hope in a Jar and skin that was flaky and rough smooths out nicely. The main downside is the COST! I'm sure there must be something out there that does the trick without costing $35/bottle. As for the smell, it doesn't bother me, and neither does Hope in a Jar...I honestly wonder what the big deal is? The products smell herbal and lean towards lavender, and in any case the scent doesn't really linger. EDIT 6/5/06: still like it. The bottle is running low and I'm actually considering repurchase! I forgot to mention that I have sensitive oily skin, and am nowhere near wrinkles, but like this product as it moisturizes w/out being greasy AT ALL and really boosts the effect of your usual moisturizer.

on 1/11/2006 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought this serum b/c I was looking for a good antioxidant serum. Well, I found it! Everyone complains about the smell, but the smell doesn't last long and most Vit. C serums I have used in the past do not smell good anyway. It immediately soaks into your skin and is matte. I have normal skin and have not had any breakouts from this. IMO, it's a great product and I will buys again. This along with the microdelivery peel pads have really made my skin look great!

on 1/8/2006 12:20:00 PM

I kind of like the way this smells, but only because it reminds me of the Vitabath bath gel my mom used to use. Smells like home, I guess. LOL! I love the packaging, very convenient to use the dropper to dispense. I've only been using this a couple of weeks, but so far no breakouts and my skin does seem firmer. Great improvement on my neck especially. I'm also using the other components of the Philosophy Makeup Optional Kit, plus the Exfoliating Kit, so not sure the improvements can be solely attributed to this product (therefore only four lippies).

on 11/14/2005 8:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Used for three days and now have zits the size of nuclear warheads.....and I'm 42 years old! Had to borrow prescription zit cream from teenage son. Never again.

on 10/23/2005 11:57:00 AM

This is a serum which I would apply in the morning, then follow up w/ my sunscreen over it. At first the smell kind of turned me off, but after sticking with it for several weeks, my skin really appreciated the oil-free moisture and seemed to be smoother, plumped up and less oily. I would buy it again, b/c as long as this lasted (6 months?) this seems to be a pretty good value. But, you need to apply sunscreen over it!

on 10/5/2005 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love how this makes my skin matte but moistuized and it also calms my skin down and shrinks my pores.

Downside - it smells awful

on 9/27/2005 11:12:00 AM

I'm currently using (and loving) the following philosophy products: purity made simple, when hope is not enough serum, hope in a jar (original formula), hope in a tube (eye and lip cream), and the 2-piece microdelivery peel. I don't think it's easy to review individual product results so I'll review as a whole with comments about the seperate products.

I have "normal" skin for the most part. I'm occasionally oily in the T-zone. I'm not seeing any signs of aging at 33. I'm not sensitive and rarely have any reactions to skincare. My biggest complaint is slightly rough skin texture. I do get a hormonal zit almost every month, but beyond that I have pretty okay skin. Since beginning using the philosophy "makeup optional" products, my skin texture has improved dramatically. My skin is soft and smooth. My pores are less visible and I think I have a bit more of an overall glow.

purity made simple: I think this is the best cleanser I've ever tried. I absolutely love the natural, herbal scent. It melts off all makeup, even mascara, and it doesn't sting my eyes! It doesn't strip or overdry my skin. I just feel clean and soft after washing. Love it! *****

when hope is not enough serum: Stinks! If you can get beyond the awful scent, this serum has a light, non-sticky texture that absorbs quickly. It has anti-oxidants and even a hair growth inhibitor. I'm not sure if my facial hair growth has slowed at all, but I'll keep using for the other benefits. ****

hope in a jar: I love the scent of lavender. If you hate lavender, you may not like this cream. This has a really nice, light, almost whipped texture. It seems to be slightly pearly also which gives a healthy looking finish to skin as applied. It is not a heavy moisturizer. I'm crediting this for smoothing my skin texture. I don't know if this has a proper pH or % of AHA for exfoliation, but I'm happy with the results I'm seeing. *****

hope in a tube: I don't have eye lines or wrinkles so I can't comment of how this affects those issues. It seems to keep my eye area nicely moisturized and I'll continue to use it. ****

microdelivery peel: It's a nice citrus scrub that heats when an activating gel is applied. My skin really looks fresh, glow-y and is super soft after doing this peel. Love it! *****

on 9/19/2005 3:28:00 PM

I just got this with my "makeup optional kit." I've used it for about 4 days and do like it so far, but THE SMELL IS GAWD AWFUL! What IS that??? Nasty. Luckily, it doesn't seem to linger and I forget about it as soon as I put on my Hope in a Jar moisturizer. It requires 5-6 drops over a cleansed face. It goes over smoothly, but you have to rub it in quick. It feels a tad sticky after application, but that too goes away fast. I'll report back on whether it lives up to its name. For now, the only thing I hate is the smell. PEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEWWWW.

on 7/24/2005 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is pretty good, except the smell, it's so darn STRONG! I like the velevety texture. It does a good job moisturizing and overall a decent produtct. Not in the league of Decleor products though.

windowshopping

Profile:
Location: DC
Gender: femme
Posts: 22
Status: Online

I've always had pretty clear skin. A year ago though I started having some serious issues at my chin. Everyone was stumped. Me, friends and family and even doctors and my fabulous facialist (my nickname for my est.). I tried everything, from expensive to cheap. I tried Proactive and it was TERRIBLE. Made it worse and gave me a rash. NOT for sensitive skin.

On to the good news and the reason why I posted

I just turned 25 and have become obsesed with anti-aging (don't laugh!). I bought Philosophy's When Hope is Not Enough Serum. A fan of the Philosophy line, I thought I would try it. Well, in a week my skin is not only almost completely clear, but the pinkish scars from my "battlewounds" are almost gone as well. I know its not an acne treatment, but I guess the combo of Vit. C, anti-oxis and all the other goodies in a "condensed" form really help. It can be expensive, I bought it off of eBay. Thought I would pass along my miracle worker. My skin is once again, clear, glows and honestly as the Philosophy line says "Make-up optional". My complexion is back!!!!

Popular Face Skincare Products