October 1, 2014 | 1977 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2005 3:51:00 PM More reviews by icit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love how this makes my skin matte but moistuized and it also calms my skin down and shrinks my pores.

Downside - it smells awful

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2005 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Sheuba

I'm currently using (and loving) the following philosophy products: purity made simple, when hope is not enough serum, hope in a jar (original formula), hope in a tube (eye and lip cream), and the 2-piece microdelivery peel. I don't think it's easy to review individual product results so I'll review as a whole with comments about the seperate products.

I have "normal" skin for the most part. I'm occasionally oily in the T-zone. I'm not seeing any signs of aging at 33. I'm not sensitive and rarely have any reactions to skincare. My biggest complaint is slightly rough skin texture. I do get a hormonal zit almost every month, but beyond that I have pretty okay skin. Since beginning using the philosophy "makeup optional" products, my skin texture has improved dramatically. My skin is soft and smooth. My pores are less visible and I think I have a bit more of an overall glow.

purity made simple: I think this is the best cleanser I've ever tried. I absolutely love the natural, herbal scent. It melts off all makeup, even mascara, and it doesn't sting my eyes! It doesn't strip or overdry my skin. I just feel clean and soft after washing. Love it! *****

when hope is not enough serum: Stinks! If you can get beyond the awful scent, this serum has a light, non-sticky texture that absorbs quickly. It has anti-oxidants and even a hair growth inhibitor. I'm not sure if my facial hair growth has slowed at all, but I'll keep using for the other benefits. ****

hope in a jar: I love the scent of lavender. If you hate lavender, you may not like this cream. This has a really nice, light, almost whipped texture. It seems to be slightly pearly also which gives a healthy looking finish to skin as applied. It is not a heavy moisturizer. I'm crediting this for smoothing my skin texture. I don't know if this has a proper pH or % of AHA for exfoliation, but I'm happy with the results I'm seeing. *****

hope in a tube: I don't have eye lines or wrinkles so I can't comment of how this affects those issues. It seems to keep my eye area nicely moisturized and I'll continue to use it. ****

microdelivery peel: It's a nice citrus scrub that heats when an activating gel is applied. My skin really looks fresh, glow-y and is super soft after doing this peel. Love it! *****

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2005 3:28:00 PM More reviews by Cincy_Gal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I just got this with my "makeup optional kit." I've used it for about 4 days and do like it so far, but THE SMELL IS GAWD AWFUL! What IS that??? Nasty. Luckily, it doesn't seem to linger and I forget about it as soon as I put on my Hope in a Jar moisturizer. It requires 5-6 drops over a cleansed face. It goes over smoothly, but you have to rub it in quick. It feels a tad sticky after application, but that too goes away fast. I'll report back on whether it lives up to its name. For now, the only thing I hate is the smell. PEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEWWWW.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2005 11:31:00 AM More reviews by pr0cessa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is pretty good, except the smell, it's so darn STRONG! I like the velevety texture. It does a good job moisturizing and overall a decent produtct. Not in the league of Decleor products though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2005 10:19:00 AM More reviews by jenner8675309

windowshopping

Profile:
Location: DC
Gender: femme
Posts: 22
Status: Online

I've always had pretty clear skin. A year ago though I started having some serious issues at my chin. Everyone was stumped. Me, friends and family and even doctors and my fabulous facialist (my nickname for my est.). I tried everything, from expensive to cheap. I tried Proactive and it was TERRIBLE. Made it worse and gave me a rash. NOT for sensitive skin.

On to the good news and the reason why I posted

I just turned 25 and have become obsesed with anti-aging (don't laugh!). I bought Philosophy's When Hope is Not Enough Serum. A fan of the Philosophy line, I thought I would try it. Well, in a week my skin is not only almost completely clear, but the pinkish scars from my "battlewounds" are almost gone as well. I know its not an acne treatment, but I guess the combo of Vit. C, anti-oxis and all the other goodies in a "condensed" form really help. It can be expensive, I bought it off of eBay. Thought I would pass along my miracle worker. My skin is once again, clear, glows and honestly as the Philosophy line says "Make-up optional". My complexion is back!!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2005 12:23:00 AM More reviews by xel_ha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted this to work. This broke me out badly. I have oily/acne prone skin and thought this would make a difference.It did---not in a good way but in a bad way.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2005 2:50:00 PM More reviews by cheryl49

I added this into my skincare routine about three weeks ago and am very impressed! I use and love Philosophy's peel and HIAJ, but I was concerned that adding the serum would cause breakouts or irritation. Happy to report that neither happened (not even the monthly hormonal). Love the little apothecary bottle w/dropper. I apply a drop or two of this to my face every other morning under my sunscreen. After a minute it soaks right in. I have/had two tiny lines around my mouth and was starting to sag at the jawline a bit, but after about three weeks of using WHINE I can see that one of the two tiny lines around has disappeared and the other is less visible. I also use it every day on my neck area and my skin is getting firmer. Impressive results for such a short time.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2005 11:03:00 PM More reviews by saoirse1561

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG - the smell!!! ::gags:: Wow - I can't use this product without thinking of wood chips. The fragrance is so strong and unpleasent ... granted, it goes "grow on you" as you use it daily ... but its still a big turn off.

The product performance, however, seems good. I'm young and don't really *need* to worry about facial firming as of yet, but this came in the kit I bought and I figure its never to early to start! So, while I can't see noticable improvement while using this product, it hasn't had any ill effects on my sensitive skin and that's a good sign!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2005 9:30:00 PM More reviews by NellaCandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The cons: Smells a bit strange, but havn't had it long to get used to it yet. Also not sure how much to apply and funny application wand. The Pros: Glides on a treat! Even though unsure of quantity, a little goes a long way. The bottle is all medicinal looking, which i like. Love how the ingredients list is PACKED full of goodies. I have young skin anyway but really felt soft and fuller after first use. My skin literally ate it up! It's also meant to reduce facial hair which cant be a bad thing. I bought this product as a set so I am unsure at its individual cost, but verging on the more expensive I think. Will definately stick with it and keep enjoying my vitalised skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2004 5:27:00 PM More reviews by beauty_junky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hope is not enough because this stuff did not do a thing for my skin. It feels incredibly sticky. I got it in a dry skin kit. I see no difference but will finish the bottle.