Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 4/19/2009 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

dirt cheap, totally cleanses and there's just enough oils in there to keep my face from feeling completely stripped! the smell is, yes, a bit overpowering but it fades. the consistency is very thin and watery but foams up like crazy so only use the tiniest amount! and definitley SHUT YOUR EYES-this burned my eyeballs like crazy. organic ingredients makes me feel all that much better about using it. bought from trader joes.

on 3/8/2009 3:17:00 PM

If you're looking for something organic this is a great product. I ordered it through amazon and it came quicker than I expected. I was hoping that it would be thicker than it actually is. The product is watery and I tend to loose a lot. It may be because I only use my hand and fingers. I may need to try putting it on a wash cloth or something. The odor of the product isn't strong and it makes my skin feeling really clean after using it.

on 2/18/2009 9:51:00 PM

I love this stuff. I start by using the Deep Cleansing oil from DHC...and I keep this in my shower. It removes all traces of the oil from my face and does leave my skin UBER clean. I moisturize right out of the shower, so I haven't had any dryness problems. Love love love it and will continue to buy :)

on 1/31/2009 4:43:00 PM

Not a fan. This product did nothing for me. I guess it's probably better than washing your face with bar soap, but I'm not positive that's true.

on 1/29/2009 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I had to rereview this product. I stopped using this several years ago because I found a cleanser that my skin loves (Burt's Bees Soapbark and Chamomile cleanser btw) and because I was frustrated with the packaging of this product (the pump top was impossible to travel with and I ended up having to transfer it to a smaller bottle). However, recently I came back to it because I had run out of my other cleanser and wasn't able to buy a new one right away, so I tried this again. My skin became extremely dry after a week of using this cleanser. I had dry patches on my forehead and the area around my eyes was like a desert, accentuating any fine lines I have :( I went back to my other cleanser and almost immediately the dry patches went away. I can't use this product anymore, it's just way, way to drying and harsh on my skin.

on 1/16/2009 8:53:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

So we've all been there: a foxy male (or female) type, a king-sized chocolate bar, an entire tub of peanut butter, 3 dozen cookies . . . good things, all. And yet, occasionally too much of a good thing. Well that's precisely how my oily skin feels about my HG Weleda Wild Rose Cleansing Lotion. At least 50% of the time, it's an excellent idea. But sometimes you need a carrot -- or, in this case, DE Thoroughly Clean with Tea Tree Oil. My pores were looking large the other day and I was kind of sad, and also kind of unconcerned, because said skin was ultimately happy and in generally great shape. Then I saw a poreless portrait from college and memories of this uber-thin, pine tar-scented facewash came flooding back. So I nabbed some and, within one week of making it my nighttime wash, my pores are in check, my skin is perfectly clean (yet not stripped), and the tone and texture continue to look fab. Love this stuff, but definitely not for the faint of flesh or olfaction. I Imagine it *could* be drying (though the Weleda and loads of moisturizer keep this in check for me), and the erm . . . fragrance . . . is certainly unique. I find that I rather like it, and it definitely doesn't linger. The liquidiness and pump bottle make it kind of a pain for travel, but travel containers take care of that. It's cheap as all get-out, readily available, and works phenominally as an evening deep-clean to prepare skin for my richer nighttime cream. Will definitely repurchase and, frankly, don't know why I ever stopped purchasing in the first place.

on 1/10/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the best face wash I've ever used. I've been using if for 7 months now and still haven't finished with the whole bottle. Although the orignial consistensy might feel a little too watery compared to regular washes, it lathers up very nicely (we're talking lots of foam). It actually washes off all the dirt, oil, makeup, and other gunky stuff from my face, but without overdrying my skin. All of the essential oils in it really does condition and soothe my skin.

However, the downsides are that if you get it into your eyes it stings like @#^*%$@#$*@# ! Also, you have to be carful with the pump because if you press down the pump all they way, it comes shooting out and all over the place.

on 1/4/2009 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this product on sale at Wild Oats. It was around $10 or so for a huge bottle. I still have half the bottle left, which is why I wouldn't buy it again. I've had it for over a year and have yet to go back to it.

At first, I swore by this product. It cleaned my face extremely well, and left it feeling soft and smooth. After a couple of months of using it, my skin started going back to normal. Meaning, it started getting oily and acne-prone once again.

So for the time that it DID work, it worked amazing. But once my skin got used to it, the product no longer worked on me. Also, people hated getting next to my face because of its horrid scent and the fact that it lingers long after you wash it away. It was also hard to use as a face wash because it was almost the same consistency as water.

on 12/30/2008 5:20:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this product so much more than I expected to. I had never tried anything with tea tree oil before, but it seems to be a miracle ingredient for my skin. I bought this a month ago and after a week of use my acne was virtually gone, I haven't had a breakout since. Also, this does such a good job that I cut out the toner in my skin care routine and my face still looks better than ever. Most days now I just wash my face, put on some sunscreen, and I'm good to go. Okay, the stuff is watery, so much so that I bought a 2 dollar bottle of foaming hand soap just to empty out so I could use that bottle instead. I would encourage anyone else to do the same because it wastes less and makes application easier.

Edit: I had to stop using this because it was drying out my skin too much. It really keeps the blemishes at bay but my skin was getting so flaky that it wasn't worth it. I guess the final verdict is that if you tend to be on the dry side, this stuff probably isn't for you.

I started using this cleanser about a year ago and have not budged from it since - which is saying a lot! Any first-time user would be taken aback by it's thin, liquid-y texture and intense tea tree oil scent, but trust me, it is definitely something you all should try getting used to if you want this to work. And the relationship is worth it!

I still break out on occasion due to stress or a poor diet, so I won't say that this cleanser precludes that, but does any product? What this cleanser does do, is offer, in a simplified, organic makeup, a great cleaning service for your distressed, polluted pores at the end of the day. Only a very small amount, like half a teaspoon, is needed to do the job; but be careful to shut your eyes tight when smoothing it across your lids!

I use this both in the morning at the sink and at night in the shower, and it doesn't dry out my skin. It leaves my skin soft and glowing. You all should try the version with seaweed, too!