August 27, 2014 | 945 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2009 4:43:00 PM More reviews by bettyjay

Not a fan. This product did nothing for me. I guess it's probably better than washing your face with bar soap, but I'm not positive that's true.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 12:44:00 AM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had to rereview this product. I stopped using this several years ago because I found a cleanser that my skin loves (Burt's Bees Soapbark and Chamomile cleanser btw) and because I was frustrated with the packaging of this product (the pump top was impossible to travel with and I ended up having to transfer it to a smaller bottle). However, recently I came back to it because I had run out of my other cleanser and wasn't able to buy a new one right away, so I tried this again. My skin became extremely dry after a week of using this cleanser. I had dry patches on my forehead and the area around my eyes was like a desert, accentuating any fine lines I have :( I went back to my other cleanser and almost immediately the dry patches went away. I can't use this product anymore, it's just way, way to drying and harsh on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 8:53:00 AM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

So we've all been there: a foxy male (or female) type, a king-sized chocolate bar, an entire tub of peanut butter, 3 dozen cookies . . . good things, all. And yet, occasionally too much of a good thing. Well that's precisely how my oily skin feels about my HG Weleda Wild Rose Cleansing Lotion. At least 50% of the time, it's an excellent idea. But sometimes you need a carrot -- or, in this case, DE Thoroughly Clean with Tea Tree Oil. My pores were looking large the other day and I was kind of sad, and also kind of unconcerned, because said skin was ultimately happy and in generally great shape. Then I saw a poreless portrait from college and memories of this uber-thin, pine tar-scented facewash came flooding back. So I nabbed some and, within one week of making it my nighttime wash, my pores are in check, my skin is perfectly clean (yet not stripped), and the tone and texture continue to look fab. Love this stuff, but definitely not for the faint of flesh or olfaction. I Imagine it *could* be drying (though the Weleda and loads of moisturizer keep this in check for me), and the erm . . . fragrance . . . is certainly unique. I find that I rather like it, and it definitely doesn't linger. The liquidiness and pump bottle make it kind of a pain for travel, but travel containers take care of that. It's cheap as all get-out, readily available, and works phenominally as an evening deep-clean to prepare skin for my richer nighttime cream. Will definitely repurchase and, frankly, don't know why I ever stopped purchasing in the first place.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2009 5:44:00 PM More reviews by vvs9992003

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best face wash I've ever used. I've been using if for 7 months now and still haven't finished with the whole bottle. Although the orignial consistensy might feel a little too watery compared to regular washes, it lathers up very nicely (we're talking lots of foam). It actually washes off all the dirt, oil, makeup, and other gunky stuff from my face, but without overdrying my skin. All of the essential oils in it really does condition and soothe my skin.

However, the downsides are that if you get it into your eyes it stings like @#^*%$@#$*@# ! Also, you have to be carful with the pump because if you press down the pump all they way, it comes shooting out and all over the place.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by ohmykaun

I bought this product on sale at Wild Oats. It was around $10 or so for a huge bottle. I still have half the bottle left, which is why I wouldn't buy it again. I've had it for over a year and have yet to go back to it.

At first, I swore by this product. It cleaned my face extremely well, and left it feeling soft and smooth. After a couple of months of using it, my skin started going back to normal. Meaning, it started getting oily and acne-prone once again.

So for the time that it DID work, it worked amazing. But once my skin got used to it, the product no longer worked on me. Also, people hated getting next to my face because of its horrid scent and the fact that it lingers long after you wash it away. It was also hard to use as a face wash because it was almost the same consistency as water.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2008 5:20:00 PM More reviews by breakfasting

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this product so much more than I expected to. I had never tried anything with tea tree oil before, but it seems to be a miracle ingredient for my skin. I bought this a month ago and after a week of use my acne was virtually gone, I haven't had a breakout since. Also, this does such a good job that I cut out the toner in my skin care routine and my face still looks better than ever. Most days now I just wash my face, put on some sunscreen, and I'm good to go. Okay, the stuff is watery, so much so that I bought a 2 dollar bottle of foaming hand soap just to empty out so I could use that bottle instead. I would encourage anyone else to do the same because it wastes less and makes application easier.

Edit: I had to stop using this because it was drying out my skin too much. It really keeps the blemishes at bay but my skin was getting so flaky that it wasn't worth it. I guess the final verdict is that if you tend to be on the dry side, this stuff probably isn't for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2008 10:44:00 AM More reviews by necessarymakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I started using this cleanser about a year ago and have not budged from it since - which is saying a lot! Any first-time user would be taken aback by it's thin, liquid-y texture and intense tea tree oil scent, but trust me, it is definitely something you all should try getting used to if you want this to work. And the relationship is worth it!

I still break out on occasion due to stress or a poor diet, so I won't say that this cleanser precludes that, but does any product? What this cleanser does do, is offer, in a simplified, organic makeup, a great cleaning service for your distressed, polluted pores at the end of the day. Only a very small amount, like half a teaspoon, is needed to do the job; but be careful to shut your eyes tight when smoothing it across your lids!

I use this both in the morning at the sink and at night in the shower, and it doesn't dry out my skin. It leaves my skin soft and glowing. You all should try the version with seaweed, too!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2008 9:03:00 PM More reviews by stephrsteph

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never had a cleanser leave my face squeaky clean but this one does, literally. The only thing that I did not like was the consistancy as it is very watery but it does lather great. I took one lippie off due to the consistancy.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2008 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Abella

I LOVE this product!!! I wish I had found it earlier. I've been using this for 2-3 weeks with the Tea Tree Oil from DE. My face starts to clear out and I can tell this face wash is not too harsh on my face. My skin is oily but sometimes it can be dry, esp when I use stuff to clear out my acne. I normally use this to wash my face first, then follow by some Jojoba Oil to further clean pores and provide some moisture, then wash my face one more time with this face wash (make sure to rinse it well), then do spot treatment with the Tea Tree Oil. Oh I replace the original bottle with the foaming bottle. I like it much better that way since one pump is all I need and it doesn't waste any. The original bottle makes it harder to control how much you get each time. I will update in a month or so and let you know how it goes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 3:21:00 AM More reviews by smurfkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A mixed review on this Ė I would give it 3.5 lippies if I could. This cleanser makes my face feel literally squeaky clean, which is great sometimes and not so great at other times. Itís great for after exercising, being outside in humid weather, etc. when my face is feeling gross and sweaty. Squirts out looking water-y but foams exceptionally well and really cleans away all traces of make-up and oiliness. Apart from the very reasonable price, I also like the fact that this company makes a large refill bottle. I think that's a great idea and I don't know why other natural-type companies don't do this as well, especially those with the heavy glass containers. Anyways... The downside to this product is that when my typically normal skin becomes normal-to-dry in the winter months, this cleanser is too harsh/drying to be used on an everyday basis, and I only use it after I go running (~3x a week). The strong tea tree oil smell was awful and overpowering when I first began using it, but lo and behold I got over it. I still do wish it smelled better, though.

As for the ingredients, they are: Castile Soap, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Organic Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium (Awapuhi) Root Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Petitgrain) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil. I think that the tea tree oil is effective at minimizing my occasional hormonal breakouts, and Iíve heard, and experienced myself, how wonderful olive oil is for the skin, so those were my two big reasons for trying this cleanser in the first place. The main ingredient is Castile soap, which I had to Google, otherwise known as pure vegetable-derived soap. I donít think the Coconut oil is an issue as far as being comedogenic, since in a cleanser, it will only be on your face for a few minutes. It didnít make me breakout, anyways. The Peppermint oil might be problematic for those with sensitive skin, even though it is the last ingredient and probably only a tiny amount is included.

Bottom line: People with dry or sensitive skin should avoid this. Iíd recommend it to those with oily skin, or for those with normal skin who are looking for something to give them that squeaky clean feeling when the circumstances are warranted.