Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 4/25/2009 9:16:00 PM

Bought this at whole foods on a whim, got a giant economy size bottle for under 10 bucks I think or close to that. I use this everyday followed by witch hazel toner at night, in the morning I use a light cleanser.

This cleanser is awesome, I pour some on my clarisonic brush and do my regular circulation on my face. I know this cleanser takes off everything because usually my clarisonic brush has a brown shade residue due to makeup but with this cleanser my clarisonic brush is white as pearl! Great for removing all my makeup no matter how heavy. This kept me clear for a month or so but recently my face broke out after trying a new line so now I have to use clenziderm to clear my face up before going back to this.

It's cheap, it works, buy it. :D

on 4/25/2009 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a female, so i've used just about every facial cleanser under the sun right? I use to use this stuff as a teen and i loved it.. but all my friends always used.. the " Commercial " face washes.. ( haha i laugh at this now.. ) my mom was always telling me "if you want to buy that crap you can use your own money" so i started to buy the "clean and clear" and just about every other anti-acne cleanser. i was getting so frustrated because i could tell a def. difference in my skin.. my skin tone was out of wack. i was always a little red, my t-zone was a lot more noticeable. i was a mess. i quickly realized "mainstream" was not for me.. haha.. so after a couple of years of fighting with "using the cool face wash" i went back to my roots...

I love you can use so little of this and it goes a long way.. massive Foam. keeps your face totally clean. And i know for me.. my tone was instantly better with each use. Keeps my acne prone skin clean and my SUPER oily face under control. i always tone afterwards with Witch Hazel. I LOVE THIS STUFF.. don't get me wrong, i've tried to "Forsake" my favorite face was many a time. but i always come RUNNING back. I love you Tea tree oil and awapuhi ! Go DE!!

on 4/19/2009 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

dirt cheap, totally cleanses and there's just enough oils in there to keep my face from feeling completely stripped! the smell is, yes, a bit overpowering but it fades. the consistency is very thin and watery but foams up like crazy so only use the tiniest amount! and definitley SHUT YOUR EYES-this burned my eyeballs like crazy. organic ingredients makes me feel all that much better about using it. bought from trader joes.

on 3/8/2009 3:17:00 PM

If you're looking for something organic this is a great product. I ordered it through amazon and it came quicker than I expected. I was hoping that it would be thicker than it actually is. The product is watery and I tend to loose a lot. It may be because I only use my hand and fingers. I may need to try putting it on a wash cloth or something. The odor of the product isn't strong and it makes my skin feeling really clean after using it.

on 2/18/2009 9:51:00 PM

I love this stuff. I start by using the Deep Cleansing oil from DHC...and I keep this in my shower. It removes all traces of the oil from my face and does leave my skin UBER clean. I moisturize right out of the shower, so I haven't had any dryness problems. Love love love it and will continue to buy :)

on 1/31/2009 4:43:00 PM

Not a fan. This product did nothing for me. I guess it's probably better than washing your face with bar soap, but I'm not positive that's true.

on 1/29/2009 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I had to rereview this product. I stopped using this several years ago because I found a cleanser that my skin loves (Burt's Bees Soapbark and Chamomile cleanser btw) and because I was frustrated with the packaging of this product (the pump top was impossible to travel with and I ended up having to transfer it to a smaller bottle). However, recently I came back to it because I had run out of my other cleanser and wasn't able to buy a new one right away, so I tried this again. My skin became extremely dry after a week of using this cleanser. I had dry patches on my forehead and the area around my eyes was like a desert, accentuating any fine lines I have :( I went back to my other cleanser and almost immediately the dry patches went away. I can't use this product anymore, it's just way, way to drying and harsh on my skin.

on 1/16/2009 8:53:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

So we've all been there: a foxy male (or female) type, a king-sized chocolate bar, an entire tub of peanut butter, 3 dozen cookies . . . good things, all. And yet, occasionally too much of a good thing. Well that's precisely how my oily skin feels about my HG Weleda Wild Rose Cleansing Lotion. At least 50% of the time, it's an excellent idea. But sometimes you need a carrot -- or, in this case, DE Thoroughly Clean with Tea Tree Oil. My pores were looking large the other day and I was kind of sad, and also kind of unconcerned, because said skin was ultimately happy and in generally great shape. Then I saw a poreless portrait from college and memories of this uber-thin, pine tar-scented facewash came flooding back. So I nabbed some and, within one week of making it my nighttime wash, my pores are in check, my skin is perfectly clean (yet not stripped), and the tone and texture continue to look fab. Love this stuff, but definitely not for the faint of flesh or olfaction. I Imagine it *could* be drying (though the Weleda and loads of moisturizer keep this in check for me), and the erm . . . fragrance . . . is certainly unique. I find that I rather like it, and it definitely doesn't linger. The liquidiness and pump bottle make it kind of a pain for travel, but travel containers take care of that. It's cheap as all get-out, readily available, and works phenominally as an evening deep-clean to prepare skin for my richer nighttime cream. Will definitely repurchase and, frankly, don't know why I ever stopped purchasing in the first place.

on 1/10/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the best face wash I've ever used. I've been using if for 7 months now and still haven't finished with the whole bottle. Although the orignial consistensy might feel a little too watery compared to regular washes, it lathers up very nicely (we're talking lots of foam). It actually washes off all the dirt, oil, makeup, and other gunky stuff from my face, but without overdrying my skin. All of the essential oils in it really does condition and soothe my skin.

However, the downsides are that if you get it into your eyes it stings like @#^*%$@#$*@# ! Also, you have to be carful with the pump because if you press down the pump all they way, it comes shooting out and all over the place.

on 1/4/2009 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this product on sale at Wild Oats. It was around $10 or so for a huge bottle. I still have half the bottle left, which is why I wouldn't buy it again. I've had it for over a year and have yet to go back to it.

At first, I swore by this product. It cleaned my face extremely well, and left it feeling soft and smooth. After a couple of months of using it, my skin started going back to normal. Meaning, it started getting oily and acne-prone once again.

So for the time that it DID work, it worked amazing. But once my skin got used to it, the product no longer worked on me. Also, people hated getting next to my face because of its horrid scent and the fact that it lingers long after you wash it away. It was also hard to use as a face wash because it was almost the same consistency as water.