October 24, 2014 | 1406 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Matte - Soft Brown

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2007 11:51:00 PM More reviews by starskye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It is a matte, warm light colored neutral with peachy brown tones.

I am Asian with a medium-tan complexion with pinkish undertones. So I look better in cooler colors. Warm colors make me look overdone during the day so I usually stay from brown eyeshadows.

Everyone has that warm brown eyeshadow combo, and I really wanted that too, but I couldn't find the right brown until I found soft brown. Yay! I actually had it in my collection for a very long time b/c I was afraid of the browns & what I looked like trying them on. But this color is perfect. The peachyness to it goes well with my skin color. But I really love it with Smashbox Bronze on my lid, Smashbox Strike in my Crease & Soft Brown on the outer conner of my eyes & little bit on the crease too. I just love this combo together. I finally got me a warm look that works.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2006 11:59:00 PM More reviews by claresauntie

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my second Soft Brown e/s. I'm PPP/neutral and this has always looked a little peachy on me. Sometimes it's a bit too ruddy for my brows, I think. It was the only color in MAC that would work for my eyebrows, and I've used it for awhile now and been reasonably happy. I have occasionally used this in the crease, but found it quite dull unless paired with something really punchy. At any rate, I do enjoy this color and plan to experiment with it some more with the new Pigments I have on the way. This is not my favorite brown, but it's a nice solid staple. I'd like to keep it around as a nice go-to dependable friend, but it doesn't get my heart racing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2006 1:56:00 PM More reviews by ohthatgirl

Soft Brown looks pretty in the pan but did not show up AT ALL on my GGG/DDD skintone. It is very light peachy brown in tone and the formula I found a bit chalky and hard to apply. I quickly swapped this shadow away.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2006 6:17:00 PM More reviews by MACAddiction

NC45 African American with red and green undertones. Soft Brown is fantastic. It is a matte, warm light colored neutral with peachy brown tones. MA put it on my lid, with Bamboo in the upper eye, and Cork in the crease. You could also wear Espresso or Embark in the crease, and it can easily be a fantastically warm wash. I would buy it again, definitely, as a base for more colors like Saddle (warm browns).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2006 12:15:00 PM More reviews by fireflyglow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after I had tried Kid e/s in an eyeshadow palette. I tend to favor browns on my eyes (dark brown), but they're too neutral and look almost 'dirty'. This didn't! It's a warm, medium peachy-brown color that goes perfectly with everything. Matte finish, doesn't crease or fade. I tend to favor more natural shades for a daytime look, so I wear Soft Brown at night and Bamboo (reviewed) during the day. I took off a lippie for the packaging; pot shadows aren't very portable (the shadow itself always seems to crack in my makeup bag).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2006 11:28:00 PM More reviews by dolcevita927

I bought this shadow today - my first e/s from MAC, all based on the reviews. Of course I tried it first at the counter (would've have picked it up if I hadn't read the reviews, so I thank you all!). I'm Asian, ligh-med complexion w/ slightly yellow undertones, dark brown eyes - and have found most "browns" just look blah on me. Well, I found a look today that would be beautiful yet elegant enough for work - soft brown shaded over lid, line top lid with Blitz & Glitz, then a light wash of melon pigment over the lid and crease. This made my eyes look fresh and sexy. I can see this e/s being quite versatile. Great buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2006 1:14:00 PM More reviews by carmenalita

Love this shadow. totally underestimated it until an MA showed me how multifunctional it was. She used it as a base over paint, then mixed it w/ espresso for the crease THEN turned around and used it as my new favorite blush. This little eyeshadow has a permanent spot in my purse.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2006 2:21:00 AM More reviews by smcgraw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is probably my favorite eye shadow - it's a peachy mid-tone warm brown that I use on the lid with swiss chocolate in the crease, vanilla on the brow bone and embark as a liner. Really makes blue-green eyes POP! It's also beautiful on it's own, as a wash on the lid. No creasing or fading, and I never use a base. Looks "eh" in the pan but turns out to be a must-have!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2006 4:26:00 PM More reviews by wcw74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all, the name Soft Brown is misleading. It's orangey peach with a touch of brown. It looks orange in the pan and it looks orange peach on me. Second, every single MAC MA from different counters to different parts of the US keep recommending Soft Brown to me for pairing with greens, blues, and teals. I've been ignoring there recs for years and finally caved in last year. Well they were right. Soft Brown is the perfect accompaniment to greens, blues, and teals. It's especially beautiful as a crease color. The finish is matte but with proper blending it adds the perfect definition to my eyes without looking like "hey, I have orange e/s in my crease with blue e/s on the lid". Soft Brown is a boring color but sometimes the simplest colors have the most dramatic and effective impact. I will repurchase.

For reference I'm Stila 30 watts, Chanel Beige, and Armani LSF 5.5.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2006 12:04:00 PM More reviews by andrea46

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

i am putting in my 2 cents on this because after reading the below reviews, i see no one mentioned using this as a BLUSH! this is my very first MAC e/s. i think i bought it in 1998 (when they were still selling large-sized e/s pans). i asked the ma for a neutral, natural-looking blush and she gave me this! i still have it. many MAC blushes (and e/s (-: ) under the bridge since then and i hardly ever use it but after reading the below reviews, maybe i'll start including it again.