Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

AQUA / WATER CYCLOPENTASILOXANE GLYCERIN ISODODECANE ALCOHOL POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE HEXYL LAURATE DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE PHENOXYETHANOL ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE MAGNESIUM SULFATE ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE TRISTEARIN CELLULOSE GUM NYLON-12 LIMONENE BENZYL SALICYLATE LINALOOL DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER PARFUM / FRAGRANCE DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE METHYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

on 2/9/2014 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my all-time favourite foundation. I wear shade 4 (Mac NC20, Bobbi Brown 3.0) and it goes on a little bit pale but warms up to my skin tone within a few minutes. I have dry skin and this just gives me such a glow. It's not really dewy, it just looks like my skin but so much better when I apply with a stippling brush like the MAC 187 or the hourglass foundation brush. The staying power is quite good, maybe because I have dry skin, but I do find this wears better than all of my other foundations and it is never cakey. And it doesn't transfer either!! I will continue to repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This foundation is FABULOUS if your skin is in pretty good shape. I'd recommend this to someone with normal/mildly combination skin, who isn't prone to breakouts. The coverage is sheer to medium, just enough to even out redness and blur small imperfections. The finish is glowing, but not so dewey that your face looks wet or oily. The wear time seems to be up for debate; I can get a good 10 hrs of perfect wear out of this (no separation, no need to blot) if I'm using a primer and dusting of setting powder, but I've read that others can barely make it past 6 hrs. I personally prefer the old, more minimal and chic packaging but the newer packaging isn't bad or ugly by any means. Just one pump should be more than enough for most people.

I personally love this foundation and it's become my HG! If you've been curious to try this and don't have any major issues with your skin, I would say absolutely try it! What you'll end up with is very natural, soft focus looking skin with juuuust the right amount of glow.

on 2/7/2014 7:11:00 PM

I bought this foundation based on the positive reviews I read online and watched on youtube. So I had BIG expectations from this product especially at the fact it is a higher end foundation, but I ended up hating it! I have combination skin but I didn't think it would effect me as much as I normally set my foundation with powder but this was ridiculous. After a few short hours, my t-zone area were extremely OILY. Not flattering at all. I looked as if I had been wearing my foundation for a good 12 hours by the time it was lunchtime. Do not invest your money into this product unless you have dry to normal skin as my friend loves it. it really compliments her skin. I even tried to mix it with my Mac Studio Fix Fluid which always keeps my face looking matte but after a couple hours I would see my t-zone becoming oily again.

on 2/3/2014 1:40:00 AM

I'm NC 20-25, and I used the # 5 in Luminous silk. This foundation has light coverage and is natural looking, but does not last longer than an hour or two on my combination skin. It is an okay foundation but because of the short wear time, I would not repurchase. Maybe with setting powder, it would have lasted longer, but I'd already returned it.

on 1/31/2014 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

One of my HG foundations. I hardly ever re-purchase a foundation, and tend to rotate a few. However, with Luminous Silk - I am already on my 4th bottle. I briefly tried Armani's Maestro (not for me) and Lasting Silk (hated it, drying). I wear Luminous Silk in 4.5 or 5 depending on the season. 4.5 is a touch light but does oxidise to match perfectly (For reference in other brands I currently wear: NC20/F&B C2 in MAC, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation in Light-Medium Sand, Bobbi Brown Skin in 2.5, NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji, Kat Von D Lock-It in Light 49, Laura Mercier Silk Creme in Med. Ivory, DiorSkin Forever Compact in #21 Linen, Missha Perfect Cover BB in #21).

I think this is a perfect foundation if you already have relatively good skin with minimal need for coverage (it does have sheer-light coverage that can be built up to medium but allows skin to show through) and it just looks like your own skin, but better. The formula is so light and easy to blend, it literally meshes with your skin so no one can even tell you're wearing make-up (well, as long as you choose the right shade and don't cake it on!). The finish is semi-matte but looks very natural, somewhat luminous but not over-kill grease bomb.

It's great for pictures, as it has no SPF, and photographs beautifully. It lasts through an entire day for me, without separating or looking dull/patchy - although I do need to blot maybe once or twice but that is normal for me regardless of what foundation I wear. Obviously it will last longer if you set it with powder, and I sometimes use this with MSFN in Medium or MUFE HD finishing powder. I also mix it with moisturisers and highlighting products and I haven't encountered any pilling or problems with it no matter what I mix this with (from Etude House's Volumer, MAC's Strobe Cream, Armani's Fluid Sheer illuminating fluid and everything in between).

Highly recommend if you are looking for a light to medium coverage natural finish foundation.

on 1/18/2014 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I love the texture and finish of this foundation, but I was a little upset to find it ran darker than my Maestro foundation in the same shade #2. I might purchase some white foundations and the new Radiant pigment sheer to see how I can make it work, but for now the lightest shade is a bit too dark.

on 1/18/2014 4:51:00 AM

I've spent decades mixing foundations to try to get the right color. Once in a while, I;ve found one which is perfect, then invariable it's dc'd. Chanel Alabaster was perfect, then gone. Also had an HG cream-to-powder Prescriptives & a Guerlain which disappeared. I'm combo so some foundations oxidize to a nasty orange & mineral foundations unbecomingly accent every flaw. Per Sephora, I'm 1RO6, although I find huge errors in foundations that computer system "matched" for me.

GA is an almost perfect color for me in 3.75. I apply with a synthetic-bristle brush, then blend down with a sponge. It's sheer enough so I don't look "made up" but evens my skin nicely & covers the red mark I get on my nose bridge where my reading or sunglasses rest. It doesn't settle into pores and stays fresh looking for 6-7 hours. I rarely use powder but after a few hours, i sometimes blot. I'm pleased with the texture and most importantly the very close - still not quite perfect- color match. At least I don't have to buy 2 & mix.

on 1/17/2014 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I specifically bought it for my wedding day as I had read so many great reviews for it and thought I might try it out.
Well I have fallen head over heels for the way this makes my skin look. It has the best luminosity and definately does blur out my pores which are two things I look for in a foundation. Staying power could be a little better though, I loose that amazing finish after about 6-7 hours but still look like I am wearing foundation after that its just not as luminous.
My biggest bug bear with this foundation, which is the reason I am only giving it 4 stars, is the shade range. I am quite pale in winter and shade 3 suits me perfectly (I would usually be a NC15 in winter), but I cannot seem to find a shade darker than that that suits me. The undertones are quite funny and some of the colours oxidise on me and some dont and this foundation is way to expensive to have a so-so colour in my opinion.

on 1/13/2014 12:15:00 AM

So i decided to buy this foundation based on the reviews here on MUA. I have to say everything about this foundation is amazing except the colour selection. I got colour matched to 5.5, however in my personal opinion i think its a little to pink/orange on me but people around me say it looks fine. The sales assistant who was much paler than me said she uses the 5.5 but she looked like nc 15 - 20 and it looked perfectly fine on her. I get a little worried about the colour especially if im standing in the sun cause i think look orange. I THINK i would repurchase this again cause it looks beautiful when photographed and coverage is natural but if there is no foundation as good as this i will have to stick to this one. BTW im a mac nc 20 :)

on 1/8/2014 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I can't beleive this has gotten such low ratings because this is such a wonderful foundation. It does exactly what it says - gives my skin a beautiful lumonisty and youthful look. I use this in #3 and i'm NC15-20 in MAC (for reference). I use a tiny bit (like 1/2 a pea size) for my entire face because it is highly pigmented. At first I used my normal foundation amount (a pea size) and it was too much which I had to remove with tissue otherwise it would have given me full coverage and had the potential to look mask-y. 1/2 a pea size is the perfect amount for me as it evens out my skintone and provides sheer/medium coverage. i like to blend it in with my fingertips. I set it with my Guerlain Meteorites Voyage Pressed Powder and it's literally budge-proof for the entire day until i wash it off. My makeup also adheres to it well and makes them budge-proof as well. I have been using this with the Cle de Peau Cheek Colour Duo blush in #1 and e/s have changed everyday, and still i've received several comments on how luminous and glowy my skin/face is (as if i've been to the spa or on vacation). This is my new HG foundation. I will toss all the others away now since this is sheer colour and texture perfection!