Tweezerman Metal Eye Lash Comb

4.7

on 8/23/2008 5:58:00 PM

Purchased this tool at my local Ulta store. It was a "sale" item and I had never tried a metal comb prior to this tweezerman one. It's been a rather tricky and dangerous tool for me to learn how to use and I seem to always manage to poke/jab myself with this item/tool which is NOT good since this tool is so darn sharp! One could REALLY hurt one's self even with being extra cautious as I like to think I have been in using it. My routine consists of:
1. Comb through lashes prior to curling them and prior to application of mascara.
2. Curl lashes
3. Apply mascara and while still wet comb through with this tool.
Personally this tool is not the best for my almond shaped eyes as it is awkard if not impossible for me to reach the inner and corner end lashes without taking my eye out. And this comb is definitely more challenging to get completely clean. However I just read the review about using a toothbrush to clean this tool and will try that the next go around. I said yes to repurchase of this comb however I am still undecided at this point and will continue to research/search for another that possibly, hopefully is more user friendly in that one doesn't expect injury or possibility of it when going to use this type of tool. ;-)

on 8/19/2008 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This is the best eyelash comb I've ever used! Better yet, it's one of the best quality beauty tools I've ever used. I've had mine for 7 years!! It really goes through the eyelashes and separates them perfectly. I used to have a hard time cleaning it due to the fact the teeth are so close together. But I discovered a toothbrush takes care of this. I like the fact that it folds closed so I don't have to worry about loosing teeth. This is a great item!

on 7/2/2008 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I wouldn't say it works perfectly but I think it would be the closest thing to perfect that I would find. As usual, I bought the product based on the good reviews here.

I am Asian and would do the most things I can (within reason) to make my eye appear larger (without using falsies.) The problem with overloading with mascara (no matter how good/bad the brand is) my eyelashes will inevitably clump up.

The package recommends for you to comb your eyelash after you have applied each layer of mascara. I prefer to comb when the mascara is not 100% dry. I find that the eyelashes are very difficult to separate when they are fully dried.

Its better than those plastic ones for sure. The teeth are strong and thin. It is also easy to clean (I use a bit of spirits and then rinse it out.)

The downside is that I find this product quite costly compared to a cheapo plastic one. Also I find it quite time-consuming to use coz u have to be very careful about it not to jab in your eye. This thing can seriously take your eye out so don't use it properly. Girls, don't use this if you're sleepy in the morning and can hardly keep you eyes open!!

Sidenote: I do the whole blow-drying my eyelash curler ordeal (before AND after I apply mascara. I know you're not supposed to do it afterwards as your eyelashes might stick to the curler but I find that it is the most effective this way. I make sure my mascara has dried first.

on 6/7/2008 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I L O V E this product. In fact I have repurchased this product, since I lost my first one. I have heard that some people use a needle to separate their eyelashes but rather than stick a needle in my eye, i found this product works REALLY well. It separates so much better than the conventional plastic kind. Yes it is expensive when you compare it to other eyelash combs but I swear to you, you get what you pay for. I find that after I use mascara my eyelashes become stubbornly clumpy. This eyelash comb, actually "iLashcomb" does wonders and tames them into separate beautiful lashes. I really recommend this product. Oh as a warning, please be careful when using it because they are actually needles. I once accidentally stabbed my thumb and had a nice little row of scars to show of it (this went away eventually).

on 5/17/2008 5:03:00 PM

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't been said before. Really is the best thing for seperating lashes and getting rid of clumps. Blows the plastic combs out of the water! Only thing that bothers me is how sharp the teeth are. I'm always afraid I'm going to poke myself in the eye.

on 4/13/2008 6:57:00 PM

Tweezerman done it again. This is a great eye lash comb. The gold teeth are very sharp so be careful. It's so easy to clean and wipe. I have got the clear one =) I didn't see the white nor black one. I bought my's at Rick's in NYC for $6.50 but that was about a year or two ago so I dunno if the price went up.

on 4/12/2008 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

If you're going to get a lash comb, you should get a fine-toothed metal one like this. It separates lashes far better than any plastic lash comb. The only problem with this product is the fact that the metal spikes come out every now and then and I've had to replace three combs already due to this problem.

Update 05.05.2012: Although I wouldn't hesitate to buy this product again if I ever needed a lash comb, since I've started wiping down my mascara wand before each use to remove the excess, I haven't needed a lash comb anymore.

The best thing since sliced bread. Get it in black.

OMG...the BEST invention since the retractable lip brush. I hand a plastic one before and it was awful so I was a bit skeptical when I bought this.... Boy was I ever wrong. It separates AND lifts lashes into a curl. A definite must, it'll have you begging the question, "Where has this been all my life!?"

on 3/16/2008 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

The version here is short, in clear plastic, with a comb of fine gilded teeth that tuck into the handle and can be folded out. Calls itself "ILash." I lusted after it for months (thank you MUA for the lemming of all lemmings), then bought it online.

The T-man is good, but not that good. The handle could be a little thicker, more stable and comfortable. The head is too floppy, and can only be tightened up a little bit with mini-screwdrivers. The whole contraption feels somewhat flimsy - a worry, when doing something dexterous right next to eyes.

Whilst gnawing my knuckles over my craving, I had bought another version of the folding metal-toothed comb (Ruby + Millie - see review). I've also used non-folding plastic lash combs for many years, before hearing about the joys of metal.This gives me some standards of comparison. Still completely subjective, obviously.

I reckon that the metal combs are way better than the plastic ones, and foldable ones are fab. But I rate the R+M above the T-man: for performance, usability, and solidity of construction. It's also easier to clean - the comb is just stainless steel, and the teeth ever so slightly thicker, so more durable without sacrificing much in the finesse of lash-separating action. I'd found the T-man's teeth start losing their gilt with the very first clean, and bend. Aside from the general floppiness issues.

Any of the metal-toothed combs clean well and thoroughly with basic alcohol. The steel ones can also be cleaned with simple detergent first, along with other brushes, say once a week.

Cost GBP 7.00 + shipping.

Verdict: a general yes for metal-toothed folding lash combs - but not this particular model. I've seen other Tweezerman ones in the US that were plain stainless steel, and looked more convincing than this one. And I'd recommend the (more expensive) Ruby + Millie one, if you're in the UK or Ireland. continued >>

Popular Misc Beauty Tools