Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

3.2

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So, I LOVE Falsies Volume Express (blue writing).. I ran out, and had my mom run to Walgreens to get me more, she accidentally got this mascara instead.. Falsies Volume Express Flared. I figured well, It couldn't be bad because its falsies! Well... no. The brush is completley different..its bigger and bulkier so its awkward trying to apply to the bottom lashes. I just feel it doesnt volumize well like the original falsies volume express. I switched the brush from my other Falsies into my new falsies flared. Hoping that makes a difference. Other than that, I'll be sticking to my HG original falsies.

on 12/2/2012 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about a year I have tried higher and mascara for volume and seems for the price this is the best so far. But I will continue to search for even a better one but so far this is the best.

on 11/28/2012 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

As always, cute packaging. this was actually my first maybelline mascara, and i had high hopes since like everyone had been raving about the falsies and the flared thing sounded pretty cool. but honestly, i hated it. i think if youre just gonna apply it like a regular mascara it works alright, but for me it was that kind of mascara and makes your lashes look thicker by sticking them together. if you follow the instructions to flare your lashes, it makes them look super weird and stiff and sticks them together. plus, this mascara has TONS of fallout. after a few hours i would have these black specks on my face. this stuff clumps on me all the time! i did like how black it was though. the only time i really use this is after i apply my mega plush as a top coat to make my lashes look darker, but i dont do the whole flare thing anymore.

on 11/22/2012 10:29:00 PM

Very cute packaging!

I really like the pigment of black in this, it makes your eyes pop!

My only critique is that it tends to flake halfway through the day.

I prefer mega plush

on 11/19/2012 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Fantastic. I want volume and this creates it with just one coat, but I always apply more! No smudging, no flaking. Great mascara.

on 11/14/2012 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I am forever loyal to the original, waterproof Falsies mascara but I grabbed this flared crud by mistake (they need to stop with the endless Falsies variations, just looking at the Maybelline mascara section makes you dizzy enough as it is). I don't know why these companies when they strike gold with a product feel like they have to make spinoff versions of it that are awful. I guess anything to make a buck! For me, this one is junk. It is really watery and just gives me really inky, unnatural looking spider lashes when I want full lashes and volume. I don't know if there is any big difference with the brush but the formula is just bad. Not worth trying IMO and would always recommend the original one first.

on 11/12/2012 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

this mascara is awful!!! i got it because i was just giving a cheapie a go. its rubbish. i have short straight and thin lashes. this made my lashes stick together and super clumpy. didnt curl or add much volume at all. back to dior show, bobbi brown and YSL i go

on 11/11/2012 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
-Lengthens
-seperates (no clumps)
-adds volume
-Great brush (curved, flexible, Lots of thick bristles that seperate)

Cons-
-Sometimes you get excess product of the wand
-a little fallout

This is so far my favorite, go to mascara. It gives a little but of drama but not alot soo... it doesnt quite give a false lash effect.
I am on my second tube only because i had the other one so long i was worried about bacteria. (It lasts quite a long time)
Its a great everyay mascara, makeing your lashes look naturally fabulous!

on 10/29/2012 3:57:00 PM

Not the absolute worst mascara I've ever used, but I won't repurchase and I probably won't even finish off the tube I do have. It does deliver on the false-lash look and it does allow for some impressive "flare", but, unfortunately, I think in order to get the level of hold needed for the flaring, the formula has to be kind of stiff and it flakes like crazy. Boo.

on 10/19/2012 1:42:00 PM

I'll avoid a verbose reiteration of what others have already said, but will offer the following confirmations:

1. The formula is dry this is has its pros and cons. It keeps a curl and allows you to build a doll-like, almost purposely clumped application, but you need to work quickly to get your mascara looking the way you want before it dries and veers from doll-like to downright clumpy. Touch-ups are almost impossible.

2. It smells. A lot. It's a powdery, cloying scent that takes a long time to fade away. I feel like I have 90s-era Teen Spirit deodorant on my face.

3. Blackest Black is quite black, especially for a matte finish. It lacks dimension, though.

Now for the point that I thought may be worthwhile to someone out there, lamenting the loss of an old favourite...

I started wearing Cover Girl Lash Blast when my HG, Maybelline Lash Expansion, was discontinued. I've had to develop several workarounds to get it to approximate the finish I prefer (the most important of which is having two tubes running at all times, one dry for curl-holding and volume-building, and a newer one for building length after my first two mini coats have fully set). Falsies Flared does away with all of the machinations straight out of the tube.

That said, I'm not sure I'll make the switch.

Most mascaras that are great the day you open them start to get problematic about 3 weeks after opening and I've gotten used to the Lash Blast formula and brush (which gave me a LOT of problems when I first started using the product). That said, if you've been searching in vain for a replacement for Lash Expansion and you hate rubber wands this is it, people. You get length and volume in a dry formula, with a traditional bristle wand. If you don't like the spoon shape, just flip it around; if it dries out on you, just run the tube under hot water or set it next to your straightener/curler while you do the rest of your makeup. You're not going to find anything closer to Lash Expansion out there. Trust me I've looked.

Popular Mascaras